D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 PM

I have a required reading book.

Title: the curious incident of the dog in the night-time
Author: Mark Haddon
Did you like it?: I'm still reading but so far yes I like it.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Ashtyn- I'm a fan of stories of epic proportions where the face of a country or world hangs in the balance. And the bit about ending up in hell is intriguing!

Alright-y, thanks D.J.! I'll put it up. :)
And I love that book so so so so much! I just wanted to read the beginning and see if I liked it, but I read it all in a day. :heart: it's SO good.

D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 PM

At first I wasn't sure about it, I was curious to know what it was about. Now I like it and I love the way Mark set up the chapters, very original.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I am the same way.
I love when a book can take me completely out of this world and put me in a whole different one :3
I'm strange I suppose... that and I have an overactive imagination.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM

Hello. ^.^ I love books and reading, too. <3

Title: The Bookseller of Kabul
Author: (Forgot)
Genre: Biography
Plot: An Afghan man and his family and their real life drama
Why You Love It: It's so interesting to see what things are like for people living in a different country.

Iltu

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM

D.J.- The chapter set-up was one of my favorite parts of the book as well. It's a great insight into Chris' mind.

Ashtyn- Oh, so do I! I'm pretty sure that's why I love reading as much as I do.

Angel- That looks really good! I'm so interested in Afghanistan, I'd love to go there and do some sort of volunteer work. This thread is giving me so many books to look for! I love it!

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Angel: It is interesting indeed, I think autobiographies are the coolest thing to read sometimes... I do prefer fantasy and horror over them though.

Iltu: Hahahaha, at least I'm not the only one! So do you enjoy roleplaying as well then? I do because it's like writing a story with others, very interesting.

D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 08-07-2011, 08:57 PM

It really is, and Chris's mind is very complex in just the way he thinks alone.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 PM

My favorite reading is fantasy novels.

I have read the horesmistress (Airs Beneath the Moon/Airs and Graces/Airs of Sea and Fire (?)) saga by Toby Bishop recently.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Angel: I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned... I haven't read much this summer actually, I have been rather lazy.

Iltu

Old 08-07-2011, 09:04 PM

Ashtyn- Oh yes! I enjoy writing on my own and roleplaying and reading, which I think go all go hand-in-hand very often. :yes:
I don't know any writers/role players who don't like to read!

D.J.- That was one of my favorite things about the book. The fact he portrayed a character that most people would probably see as 'simple' with so much depth and complexity is fantastic.

Angel- Fantasy is my favorite as well.
I hadn't heard of the Horsemistress saga before. How is it?

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 PM

I hadn't been reading hardly at all, but then I got on a kick. Maybe that is because my computer was acting slow and boring me.

I have also read Uglies/Pretties/Specials by Westerfield and enjoyed them. They are interesting. The last two I read recently.

The horsemistress saga is interesting. It is about this farm girl that bonds with a newborn winged horse - something usually noble's daughters do. The Duke meanwhile is jealous of the fact that the winged horses only let women get near them.

Iltu

Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 PM

I've not read much this summer either. >>; After this event, I just need to ban myself from the computer and get through some books.

That sounds really neat as well! Love the bit about the Duke. That spells trouble!

rain drops
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Miku- I'm not really good at giving book summaries. I really should work on that.
Iltu- Thanks. I'm glad to be in this thread. :)

D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 PM

And most people who would have gotten to know Chris wouldn't be able to understand him fully, because they wouldn't be able to understand how he thinks. Then those who didn't know Chris but knew that he was different would either make fun of him, or just completely ignore him, which is sad.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Ahhh, you have a point... I don't know many roleplayers who don't like reading... Now that I think of it....

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Oh! Three Cups of Tea was another good book. It is a autobiography about a guy who decides to build schools for children in Pakistan.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 PM

That sounds interesting indeed....

Oh Finding Alice is a good book about a schizophrenic...

And Go Ask Alice, though its banned in many places, is an amazing autobiography about a girl who got caught up in drugs...

Iltu

Old 08-07-2011, 09:22 PM

Rain- And we're glad to have you! How're you doing?

Angel- I wanted to read that book, but then I heard about some scandal that parts of it were made up? Not sure of that's true, I couldn't find a ton of info on it.

Ashtyn- To be honest, I'd be a bit wary to RP with someone who didn't like to read a least a little. :P

D.J.- That broke my heart, too. It was definitely a book that made me think about the way I treat people who have some sort of mental handicap, or mental illness, or are just different.

D.J. Dead
v.v

Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM

That's what makes me sad, and it's something that everyone should do and be aware of that everyone's different and they shouldn't be treated differently for it.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM

I had never heard that anything in Three Cups of Tea was made up.

Amice
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to Amice

Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Title: The Eyre Affair
Author: Jasper Fforde
Genre:Fiction
Plot: A British police officer finds that she can read herself into books, where she finds the bookworld has it's own police force.
Why You Love It: It's got a wonderfully brilliant plot with odd circumstances and quirky characters.

Last edited by Amice; 08-07-2011 at 09:35 PM..

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM

The Eyre Affair sounds interesting. You lost the /color at the end of your post, though.

Oh! I have also read Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey this summer, too. She is a favorite author of mine.

CosmicFoxKitty
The Awkward

Penpal

Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM

I think that someone who doesn't like to read wouldn't be on Mene... I mean you pretty much have to read everything. This is a forum site and all :P

Iltu

Old 08-07-2011, 09:35 PM

D.J.- I agree. I think it's great that your teacher/school requires The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for that very reason, it's definitely a wake-up call to that.

Angel- I very well could be wrong!
I've only read The Arrows of the Queen by Mercedes Lackey. it was really good! iIve got to read the other books in that trilogy as well.

Thank you Amice! That reminds me of Inkheart, which was about a girl who's father could read things in/out of books. I loved Inkheart, so that sounds like an excellent read.

Ashtyn- Well, I think a lot of people don't consider online chatting a form of reading. :P Which is silly! But it does seem that the majority of Mene users do like books.