p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 PM

Do you wear make-up? Maybe just really minimally, or only on occasion? Maybe you do not leave your house without putting your face on.

What is your opinion on the use of make-up?

Personally, I used to wear loads of the stuff. (In high school.) I thought I was hideous without it (all the while I looked like an orange clown). I wouldn't be seen without it and carried it ALL with me everywhere, constantly re-applying products throughout the day. I grew out of that though and eventually began to value myself more and value the health of my skin and just didn't have the time to worry about things like that anymore. I rarely wear make-up now. (I'm 25 with a toddler, so it's also just impossible to find the time for it anyway, lol.)

I do wear make-up on occasion. When I'm going out, or on family Holidays where there will be pictures taken and stuff. I also get into moods sometimes where my self esteem is low and I'll put on mascara, a powder and a lipstick, just to feel prettier for the day.

My opinion is that make-up companies have slaughtered women's self esteem. Vouge(sp?) and other magazines make it a thousand times worse, as do some of the ridiculous reality shows they have out nowadays. *shrugs* I really hope I'm able to teach my daughter of her natural beauty and teach her how to value herself more than some people who are like I was. I hope times are better for her in the future, but somehow I always feel like they'll just be worse.

Whimsical Sadist
The Whimsical Sadist of Invincib...
Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 PM

I have no problem with makeup. I simply can NOT leave the house without my eyeliner.
But that's all it for me. I don't like splashing on a whole mask of makeup. It's just a hassle in my opinion.
For other women, they can wear makeup all they want. If it is a way they feel more confident and beautiful, why not?

I do agree with you though. Media's views on makeup is simply atrocious. It's gotten downright ridiculous.
Makeup is used to highlight the natural beauty that every woman has. That's how I've always seen it.
But. With makeup companies they make it seem that every woman is ugly and can only achieve beauty through pounds of pounds of makeup.

From the rate of advertising and everything our society displays I worry about your child as well as mine in the possible future.
I don't see it changing anytime soon

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 PM

I can not leave the house without at least eyeliner, black eyeliner on my lower lid.

other than that it depends on my outfit, my mood and how much time I have.

On average, I use eyeliner, a little mascara on the outer edge of my upper eyelashes, a dark eyeshadow -any colour- on my lower eyelid with white right under my eyebrow, pressed powder foundation in a 1-2 shade lighter than my natural and -depending on the colours of eyeshadow- varying red lip sticks.

There are days I'm more creative, and days that I'm lazier.

I honestly hate make up ads, I tend to use make up from quality companies that dont advertise often.

My love right now is a 32 eye shade 3 lip stick 2 lip gloss Saphora kit that I picked up for 30$ CAN on sale. Its adorable and easily portable if need be.

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 09-14-2013, 01:45 AM

I'm lazy and tend to not wear make-up. I do feel pretty when I do though. I usually try to wear make-up when we go out of town or will be in a place with lots of people.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-14-2013, 09:04 AM

... I had only wear make up for performances before 20. And after 20, only I have my first box of foundation and eye shadow.
I am just too lazy to care about all these external beauty. I don't even put on lotion or moisturizer or what other shit much. :/

Now, I would only wear make up for dinner, eyeshadow and blusher.
I hate lipstick. D:

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM

I don't wear make up, I still enjoy looking at it in shops though, and I used my sister's wedding last year as an excuse to buy some top brand stuff (Benefit, Stila) But I still wore very minimal make up on the day (I was a bridesmaid) Primer, BB cream, powder, small amount of blusher, neutral eyeshadow, mascara, lip gloss that is almost the same shade as my lips xD

That's my version of a full face of make up xD I also didn't use any of the expensive stuff that I bought (apart from the blush) and likely never will ><

I used to wear it more as a teen, but got out of the habit, and never felt the need to get back into it. I'm glad I never became one of these women who freak out about others seeing them with no make up on. Or the women who just habitually wear a full face, so when you see them without it they look weird.

Make up's fun, it should never be used as something to hide behind, you know? The fashion magazines have a lot to answer for for playing on general female insecurities. But then they survive be being paid lots of money by the cosmetic companies that advertise within their pages...

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-14-2013, 07:18 PM

I don't wear makeup except on very special occasions. I consider it somewhat deceitful to go around with full makeup every day.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Deceitful? XD Some word I don't expect in this topic.
To whom?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM

I'm not a fan of makeup on girls, but I'm especially not a fan of my significant other putting it on.

My reason is really simple. If I want to kiss her lips, cheek, or forehead and they put make-up on... it's going to taste AWFUL... and I like giving kisses on the forehead especially.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 AM

I rabidly rejected makeup growing up, and never really learned to use the stuff properly as a result. I'm not so against it now, though I seldom use any unless it's for an awkward formal event or a staged photo shoot. I tend to feel like I'm in drag when I apply much more than mascara and minimal lip tint.

edit: BUT WAIT.. I totally love me some nail polish. Does that count as makeup? ;D

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-15-2013, 12:51 AM

I didn't reject makeup, but I'm in the same boat with never having worn it enough to learn proper application. I used to wear eyeliner. Smudging it with a cotton bud until I was happy with how it looked. As time went on I'd smudge it more and more before it looked ok to me, until in the end I'd basically removed it all, so I stopped bothering Now if I try putting even the most minimal amount on, I look like so weird that I take it off again immediately xD

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 09-15-2013, 12:55 AM

I am naturally a red head. With the red hair comes white/blond eye lashes. You literally can NOT see my eyelashes against my skin. This makes me look like I'm about 8. Especially because I'm really short anyway XD So in order to look older so that professionals take me seriously as an adult, I DO actually wear brown eye liner and mascara. No eye shadow or anything crazy - just want to darker the lashes lmao

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
Deceitful? XD Some word I don't expect in this topic.
To whom?
It's a pretty loaded word, my bad.
As for whom.. I would say everyone. It sets ridiculous standards that people judge themselves upon. When one person starts wearing makeup to gain an advantage it sort of forces everyone else to play along.
Like in the business world, when someone is completely fresh faced it is often thought as unprofessional, akin to having unkempt hair or wrinkles in clothing. I hate that it has to be that way.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 AM

Oh gosh... like that "tuck your shirt in" stuff... D:
I hate those standard making things

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 05:07 AM

My Mamaw once told me that if I was going to go out and get all gussied up and wear a mask to catch a man, I'd better be prepared to gussy up for the rest of my life and keep that mask on. That if I wanted a man to love me for me, I needed to be me. Without the make-up and heels and uncomfortable clothes. It was great advice I think. That's what I thought of when Risq said "deceitful".

As far as not being able to be fresh-faced at work. Ri-di-cu-lous. If someone wants to wear make-up, fine. If someone doesn't want to clog their pours and feel yucky, fine. It shouldn't mean that they're lazy or care less about themselves. It could mean exactly the opposite. And since when is it required to look like a Barbie to get a job? Let me tell you...

I worked at a chiropractors office. I started out as a physical therapist and by the time I wasn't working there anymore, I'd become their x-ray technician. If I ever came into work without make-up, the doctor (who was very sexist) would call me into his office, or find me in the back and ask me if I had my make-up with me. (I typically carried my powder, a lip gloss and my mascara.) When I said yes, he'd tell me to go put it on. Whenever I'd come in with my blonde hair down and curled or straightened, and my mask on, he'd tell me I was looking good, etc.

I remember when he held a group interview once, he only called in women. When it was done and they were all gone, he said the most qualified girl wasn't pretty enough and was too fat. He picked a girl with bleached blonde hair, fake nails, a fake tan, caked on make-up and I'm 80% sure fake breasts, who wasn't very qualified if at all. I guess I just didn't understand why I, or anyone else, needed to look like hooker-barbie to teach physical therapy or take and develop x-rays.

Then I got pregnant. I told him I couldn't take x-rays anymore, and he fired me on the spot. So while I think make-ups have a lot to do with women's self esteem/confidence. It's not just the make-up companies. It's society in general, and pig men like my ex boss.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:59 AM

Poetet... I do think that tidy is the least you can do? TUcking in the shirt.
Outside, you may not need to wear make up, bring branded stuff or fancy fashion, but tidy and clean is the standard isn't it? It is a respect to the occasion.

Risqueque~ Trend do take away personalities.
I am in design major. It irks me whenever people tell me, 'Hey! Add this, it is the trend now.' -__-;; I don't care about trend, I care about the client needs and wants and what they themselves fit in which style. Trend? If everyone follow the same trend then what set them apart from each other?
So basically, I don't follow trend.

Poppetpet~ So true! I even thought of, let your future partner see the worst of yourself before getting into it. XD Like your temper, your awful cooking, anything bad. XD
As for your sexist ex-boss. I wish the best for the patients and hope nothing goes wrongs for the innocent.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 07:47 AM

I honestly think most people look ugly in make-up... I put it on the same level of a breast or butt implant minus the permanent status. It's altering what is natural.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Depending on their skill on make up, sometimes I don't even realize they wore make up. Maybe I am too affected by the nice nice effect in TV or advertisement.

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 05:00 PM

Reading some of these posts I feel a little... I don't know... looked down on.... I do love wearing make up, and I wear make up whenever I can because I enjoy enhancing my features and making them more... enchanting. I've never seen make up as 'deceitful' I guess it could be when used too much but the way it's stated makes it feel like anyone that wears any make up is lying about what they look like.

I've never believed that people would ever see me differently when I have make up on, to when I don't, and even my boyfriend -of almost 5 years- still loves me for the me inside and not the face I'm currently wearing. He still kisses my lips, my face, holds me tight and tells me he loves me constantly, whether I'm make-up'd or not. Because it doesn't matter. To him it didn't matter what I looked like the first month we were dating... which was good because on our 1st date I had a cold, and our 2nd one I threw up in a Rogers movie rental parking lot.... but he still held me tight, got me to change into a pair of his pajama pants and tossed my jacket, sweater and jeans in the wash for me as we watched the movie we rented.
I started that date with full make up and by the time I was done puking I had wiped it all off. But he still loved me.

If someone is going to change their perspective of me from when I'm wearing make up to when I'm fresh faced then that shows just how shallow they are. I'm still the same person, I just make the outer me look just as beautiful-day by day- as the inner me is every second of every day, which is hard to compete with. *giggles* Real beauty has nothing to do with the outside.

It's like receiving a present. Would you rather give a loved one a wonderful gift in a garbage bag, or with beautiful wrapping paper and a bow. My outside is just the wrapping for a gift of love I give to the people in my life. I want them to be happy from the minute I hand them the gift to the minute they open it and realize what a great gift it is.

... I really hope I'm explaining myself properly....

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 PM

*snugs Codette*
Nothing wrong with putting make up.
People like to see nice thing, even lazy me too. Yet, I am just too lazy to wear it.
Like you said, real beauty is in the inside, not outside. Though, not every man is like your man, he sounds nice and considerate.
Physically... if there is a huge difference between before and after make up, it will look different. Some people had make up to the extent of 'plastic surgery' level. -__-;;

It is like the preference of long or short hair. No right or wrong.
But certainly, there are different pros and cons, extreme to each of them is bad.
As long as you know, what is you.

p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Codette, I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing make-up to enhance your natural features. I just think it's, I don't know, upsetting, to see girls who have it layered and caked on in a way that makes you afraid to get near their face, and who look completely different without it. The girls who shriek like they're going to die if something/someone touches their face because it's ruining their make-up, or like if it rains or something they completely melt into a puddle of orange.

I wear make-up when I have the opportunity or am going out with my husband or something, just to enhance my natural features, or cover a pimple or something, lol. If it gets hot and I need to wipe it off, fine. If it rains, beautiful. It's no big deal either way. What's upsetting is that so many girls feel like they have to wear it to be beautiful. I used to be like that. I was that girl who couldn't go out in the rain because her face and hair would melt and then everyone would see who she really was, mascara streaked and ugly. I didn't go anywhere without my face and carried ALL of my make-up with me EVERYWHERE, constantly re-applying eyeliner, powder and lipstick. Looking back on it, it's just ridiculous. It's like that was all I was ever thinking about was how I looked to other people.

I still wonder how I look to other people, I just care a lot less now, lol. If they think I'm ugly without make-up, fine. I don't care. I'm coming to terms with my looks and who I am on the inside. It's just taken ten or fifteen years, that's all, lol. It doesn't help getting into situations like with my ex boss who makes it damn clear how you look without the make-up. You know? I think I just prefer not wearing make-up now days because I don't have the time to apply it anymore, and it's just a hassle. I take my daughter swimming randomly, and it's so hot that my face itches with make-up. I just feel so, free, without it. Like I don't have to worry about the hassle or the smudges. I can rub my eyes and play in the rain, get into any situation, it's all good, you know?

Last edited by p o p p e t ♥; 09-15-2013 at 06:22 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 PM

I mostly just wear mascara, eye liner when I feel like being fancy. My face is covered in acne scars that I'd love to hide with foundation, but I just absolutely cannot stand the feel of it. I have combination skin, so I'm super oily and that makes the makeup gross quickly, and then on top of that my skin is flaky and dry, which looks terrible with makeup on it. I have a foundation called "clean" that's supposed to feel natural. Well, it doesn't, but it's better than others. I wear it once in a while, when I really need to look nice for one reason or another. But I have to be careful, because it can make me break out. ><

Right now the eyeliner I use is just black eyeshadow applied with a damp angle brush. I'd go for a liquid, but it's so damn expensive and I don't want to drop money on something unless I'm sure it's good. Anyone have any recommendations for a fairly cheap black liquid eyeliner?

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM

I have oily skin too Cherry, thats why I use Powder or Pressed Powder instead of liquid/cream foundations.

Daynah
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-16-2013, 01:27 AM

I love makeup, but it's not a crisis if I don't have time or I'm not in the mood. I'm all for makeup, but I definitely think it's important to recognize your natural beauty and not feel like you NEED makeup, ya feel me? A lot of people depend on it too much and stop feeling comfortable in their own skin.

Seer Of the Future
Live Breathe Art

Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 AM

Okay so this topic makes me smile, because I love make up. I'm in art college and to me its like another art medium that I haven't ever truely explored. Do I wear it all the time? No, honestly I'm too lazy to do my make up everyday or every other day for that reason. I only put it on when I feel creative and want my looks to reflect that I'm feeling like making something different and extrodinary. I also believe its a very expressive medium. When I am feeling confident and like my body and mind could stop a truck I wear stuff that reflects that feeling, where as its just a plain and ordinary day I just apply my normal eye liner and masquera if I have time.

I believe that make up does get a bad wrap because it was originally created to help actors and traveling entertainers catch attention of their customers and give them a sense of intrigue. Now a days it is pushed to the opposite extreme of you need it to be pretty, which is a complete lie. I wish more people would realize it was created as an art form and understand that those who dabble in it and remember it was made for art express themselves through it. It wasn't made for making standards or showing who is more beautiful, it was made to express the whimsical art of feeling through the facial features and accent those feelings so people could feel their emotions through sight.

But that's my little speel on that. ^-^