~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 02-02-2014, 01:28 AM

WHO LOVES CANDLES!?!?!
The smell, the colors, the controlled fire in a house, lighting matches, burning things.... the smell?
What about eco-conscious long-lasting soy candles?

Now, WHO LOVES RINGS!?
Everything from costume pieces to precious stones and minerals.

And who doesn't love the idea of a treasure hunt, buried jewels, a safe gamble?

Diamond Candles is a candle company that makes soy-wax candles with a twist. These candles have a buried treasure, each one has a ring somewhere in the candle, packaged and wrapped so it doesn't get all gunked up with wax. These rings range in value from $10 costume pieces to the big weiners $5k diamond and other precious gemmed pieces. (Most obviously being of the $10 range)

I just recently ordered two of these for the fun of it. My guy loves candles, and fire... I thought it would be fun to have some that also have a little something else. Like Cracker Jacks!

I ordered a Honeysuckle scent and one of the Valentines scents. I'm actually really excited to try it out! I will be sure to post pictures of them when they get here and the rings I get out of them!!

Last edited by ~LONGCAT~; 02-02-2014 at 01:32 AM..

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 01:33 AM

I'd love to hear from others who are having fun with this idea! Anyone else got some of these? Ever heard of them? Excited to find out for yourself?

Pssst... Over here. I have a 20% off code if you want it.
Super Secret coupon code

Last edited by ~LONGCAT~; 02-02-2014 at 02:32 AM..

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-02-2014, 02:47 AM

I got pinged? Yet I do not see an actual ping?

LONG is sneaky xP

I'm hoping you get a really nice one for your first ones.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 02:48 AM

Me? Sneaky?? Never!!! :O
I'm excited! I got one of the V-day smells, I hope it smells ok. I'm not a huge fan of musk scents and that seems to be the smell of Vday things.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-02-2014, 02:51 AM

I have to be very careful around anything too floral or too musky or I get headaches.

I usually stick to fruity smells.

You've nearly got me convinced I need another one though....

Also...I'm not entirely sure how you pulled that ping off o.0

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 02:56 AM

ping and edit. I'm a ninja.!!

I got honeysuckle because I like that flower. I hope it's not too strong.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 AM

i love honeysuckle scent

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 03:13 AM

It's one of my favorite parts of spring, flower scents. :3
Have you ever had one of these candles Hummy?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 AM

no, i haven't ever seen them
i do love candles, though
yankee candles are what i usually buy

---------- Post added 02-02-2014 at 03:51 AM ----------

when i was little my next door neighbor was this awesome British lady
she planted honeysuckle bushes all up and down the chain link fence
i would sit along it and lick the honeysuckle juice
my hair would smell like them
fond childhood memories
=)

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 AM

I'll let you know how these compare to Yankees, because we are currently burning one of their apply/caramel scents. yum!

Oh I did that too, we also had a person in the neighborhood whose fence was forsythia bushes and I remember making floral crowns from them,pretty yellow banana looking flowers. They smelled so good too. and the lilacs. I wish there was a lilac tree near me. My guy makes a fantastic lilac tea that I'm just craving now.

ElysiumFate
There is beauty everywhere.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:12 AM

I had a candle as a kid that had a silver dollar in it. My grandma got it for me for Christmas and I would make her light it every time I came over. I think it took a few months to finally get to the silver dollar. It was soooo hard to wait. I just wanted to melt the candle. XD

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 AM

EF. I feel like that will be me with these candles knowing that there's a ring somewhere in there!! :O

But that sounds like a great memory! Do you still have that silver dollar?

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
I'll let you know how these compare to Yankees, because we are currently burning one of their apply/caramel scents. yum!

Oh I did that too, we also had a person in the neighborhood whose fence was forsythia bushes and I remember making floral crowns from them,pretty yellow banana looking flowers. They smelled so good too. and the lilacs. I wish there was a lilac tree near me. My guy makes a fantastic lilac tea that I'm just craving now.

thanks, how do they compare in price?

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 AM

Well they're a 21oz candle in a glass jar with lid like Yankee. But soy which burns longer and cleaner than regular wax.
I think the large Yankee Candle jar is 22oz?
So 24.99 for DC and 27.99 for YC. Pretty darn close. They don't have the same fragrance choices, actually pretty limited, but they're still a small company. And you get a ring.

Right now Yankee has a citrus scent... mmm. I love citrus scents.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM

After seeing you talk about these I asked our friend Google about them, what a fun concept! Looks like the rings are visible when you get the candle, the gold foil package being up against the glass an inch or 2 down. The rings there are pics of on Google all look awesome! They all look huge too 0.0 Pretty much every pic I saw, the right is too big for the pic-taker's middle finger, hope you get ones that you can wear!

I don't like the decoration on the jars much. I'd want to save the jars and reuse them, but if it's not stickers that you can peel off (then fight with the gluey residue to remove that) I'd end up throwing the jar into the recycling because they look kind of ugly. I like the fact that you can turn a Yankee jar around and it's blank on the other side, but these have a load of text on the back. (further Googling shows one where I can see the edge of the label, so no worries there).

I was wondering how they made any kind of money on these if the rings have a value of $10 min. But that's purchase value isn't it, not manufacturing costs, and the costume rings are from China (thanks Google) so are going to be very cheap to produce by Western standards. Just shows how much of a profit companies like Yankee must make though, doesn't it? If these people can afford a range with a FREE in every single item, and occasion ones that have actual value. I'd be interested to know the statistics for the $100 and $5000 rings. How many 100s of $10 ones they use before one of the real rings goes out.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure the lure of the expensive ring is even necessary. Just gaining a piece of good quality costume jewellery would make me happy, especially as their ring selection does look to be good, not a bunch of ugly crap. I'd be wanting to see what that ring was like, even if I knew it was just a $10 one. I'm excited to see what ones you get so I can't imagine how you're feeling.

Last edited by jellysundae; 02-02-2014 at 07:45 AM..

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 PM

I broke down and told Matt about them, they were going to be a gift to us for valentines. He loves candles and fire. I thought it would be fun. I don't think he's as excited as I am though. it will just be another candle to him :P
The glasses actually look pretty nice. I've seen a few pictures where people have removed the label and use it for things. Like cotton ball jar or seashell jar.
I hope it fits too, I think my ring is a 7, which is right in the middle of popular sizes. If not, my nieces have fingers too so whatever. :P
The candles are still in South Dakota, shipping tracker says so. I'll have pictures and more to say once they get here. until then it's just anticipation.

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 02-03-2014, 10:48 AM

These seem fun! Such a neat concept. I have a bad habit of burning candles for a bit and then forgetting about them forever. XD So these would be a neat motivation!

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 PM

A prize for successfully burning your candle!! \o/ A ring and a handy dandy tall jar!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 PM

i'm excited for you to receive your diamond candles!
i hope you get a pretty ring and it fits, too
i loved South Dakota
black hills gold

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Been a sick wreck lately, joy a sinus infection . Buuuut these came in the mail today yay!!

Nicely packaged with no damage or crazy amounts of arthropods... Austrian. Stepson. Close enough.

Nice colors, I'd tell you what they smell like but I can't smell anything right now. You see that , little gold dot on the honeysuckle one? My guess is that's where the ring is. Can't burn them now. I've got to wait until I'm done work tonight. Quick snapper the pictures before I left.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-08-2014, 06:04 PM

Yay for LONG-Y's candles coming in!

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM

What fragrance is the pretty pinky-red one?

I'm being a lazy bitch! Let's scroll back and find out!

Ah yes! Something that's hopefully not going to smell overly pink/sickly/musky! It's a very pretty colour at least!

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM

From what Matt tells me it's a very light perfume fragrance. Kinda berry, mostly perfume, but very light. He also told to me to stop putting the thing in his face because he was painting his miniatures. XD
These are surprisingly heavy candles too. And it looks like the label just peels off after a soak, maybe just some tugging. I'm more amaze at how soft the wax feels and the wick is braided. I've never seen a braided wick before.
I had a late shift last night so I didn't get to burn them, I was just too tired. Maybe today after this shift...

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 PM

you are going to have to show us your rings after you get them.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM

I will. :3 and I'll let you know what they smell like too, once my sniffer works again.