Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 PM

My Home, My Guardian
An RP by NekoLen and Tachigami

A soft ringing seemed to fill the air of his dreams, somewhere in the black backdrop that shifted and gently waved, like a sea of ink meeting a sky just as dark, and devoid of stars or moon, or clouds to give it depth. Or was it nothing but a wall of clouds, obscuring a moon and stars, or even a sun? The answer was never clear, and Aaron always woke up before something would come to him. the shifting and turning backdrop of black never opened up to something else, the thick black sky never changed. Was he on a little rowboat in the middle of a true sea? Every night it was the same dream, but there was never any noise, never sound, never the sight of another living thing. Only that which brought him out of the eerie dream world.

This time it was the sound of a little silver bell.

He opened his eyes and grimaced immediately at the sunlight that fell into the room. Despite the warm tones in the room, woody walls and a deep oak floor, dark red blankets and curtains, the stray morning sunlight always hit him in the eyes. Turning over slightly, he faced a sea of red hair on the dark pillow beside him. Mira was a heavy sleeper, and often covered her eyes with her hair to keep the sun from waking her. Aaron didn’t bother doing so, however. For the past few months she had grown oddly snappish toward him, even toward their four girls. Now he didn’t wake her prematurely, allowing her to sleep as long as she liked, often waking just after noon. Aaron stayed up much later than her, and still managed to get up before eight in the morning.

Creeping out of the room, Aaron followed the noise of the bell, pausing outside his youngest daughter’s room. He knocked lightly to identify his presence and opened it slowly, finding six-year-old Laila standing in the middle of a congregation of stuffed animals, some larger than her. In one hand was a bell, and in the other was a hula hoop. She dropped the bell and smiled at Aaron. She had her mother’s looks, dark red hair she liked to keep long, and bright green eyes that resembled emeralds. Two had adopted his caramel-tone hair and brown-gold eyes, in varying amounts. “Daddy! I can’t get Benny to jump through the hoop...” She indicated her giant stuffed lion, almost twice as large as she was. “He doesn’t listen to the bell...”

Aaron smiled, feeling comfortable around his little girls more than almost anyone, even his wife. Perhaps that was why Mira had begun resenting him... but it didn’t answer why she had begun to shun the girls, either. Aaron tried to keep them as civil as possible, though there was no hiding much from his eldest. She seemed to know something was amiss in her mother. He stepped forward, crouching down. “I’m sure he’ll learn soon, sweetie. You just have to give him time.” He put a hand on her shoulder, patting lightly. “Like your tutors give you time to learn.”

Laila nodded once. “Guess so...” She sighed. “Gotta get ready?”

“Yes, you have to get ready. But it’s Friday, you have two days off after this!”

His youngest daughter smiled brightly, putting her hula hoop down and running to her closet. Aaron stood, creeping out of the room and closing the door, moving down the halls to his other girls’ rooms to wake them before breakfast. Their home was a large one---a manor. Built many, many years ago by a hand he didn’t even know, generations of the Richards’ bloodline had been raised, and the house simply seemed to expand as each generation lived and died. Their mysteriously long lifelines and curiously youthful appearances had people---even well-thinking men and women of the twenty-first century---believing some kind, if any, supernatural manners were at play. Aaron was sure he would have noticed, though.

Last edited by Tachigami; 02-20-2014 at 12:27 AM..

NekoLen
Tachigami's Personal Slave

Penpal

Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 AM

The manor was the largest building in the city, as well as the oldest. Its construction had began sometime in the 1900's, though for some reason most records about the house had been lost through the years. The manor stayed within a single family, the Richards, who were well known in the country for their wealth as well as the apparent youth they all had. Many of them lived long lives, until they moved from the house, where they would promptly die. Many rumours were spoken about the family, even a century ago. That the woman that had built the house originally had made a deal with the devil, so that her family would live for ever as the richest people in the first world. The only thing was that each generation had to live in the house. Anyone else that didn't belong would disappear mysteriously, or even kill themselves for seemingly no reason.

Some people weren't so quick to judge these rumours. Kelven was one of them. He had served the Richards family as a butler for a long time, even though he looked as though he was in his early twenties. It seemed the effects of the manor rubbed off on him as well. The current generation of Richards, were by far his favourite. He was really fond of Aaron especially, and his four girls were simply charming. He often visited them in their rooms to make sure they were happy.

Laila was the youngest, and had only started her lessons. She enjoyed playing with her toys and often tried to get her father to join in. Alina and Amina were twins, but not identical like you'd think. Alina enjoyed to keep her hair short, wore glasses, and loved to read. You often could find her in the manor's library, which had an almost infinite number of novels to read, while Amina enjoyed the outdoors, climbing the many trees planted within the massive grounds of her home. Both girls loved horses, and they would often ride together.

Azure was the oldest. She was named for the startling blue eyes she had, which was so unlike the rest of her family. She stayed in her room most days, listening to the latest boy bands and chatting on the phone to the many friends she seemed to make so easily. She spent what time she had free at the local mall, hanging out and buying clothes to add to her extensive walk-in wardrobe. Even though she seemed spoiled from an outside eye, she was actually very caring for her friends and family, and loved to play with her younger sisters.

Right now, the girls were all going about their morning routines; getting dressed, having showers and eating breakfast. Kel watched them quietly, not making his presence known until he saw Aaron walk past. A little while ago, it would be rare not to see Aaron without his wife. The two were very much in love, and practically inseparable. But lately, the mood had changed. Aaron seemed sad, distant and Mira was even more distant, from both him and her girls. Something that Kel hated to see to such a happy family.

He stepped out from the shadows, bowing slightly to Aaron as he approached. "How are you this morning, Master?" he asked the man with a smile. He hated to see Aaron so sad and wanted to cheer him up. "I found an intriguing room just off this hall, if you'd like to see it. I'm sure you'll adore it." The manor was so large, that many rooms lay forgotten, only to be found again. This one was a sun room, that overlooked the greenhouses. It was a strange room, as it had the feeling of a room that had just been built.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 AM

Fifteen year old Azure hated mornings. Generally a happy girl, even as her mother grew distant and her father tried to make up for that loss by being more present, she often grumbled and snapped until just after breakfast, when the morning air would grow warm and energize her. After he woke the girls, Aaron had slunk downstairs quietly to cook. Kelvin, the family's butler and Aaron's closest friend, would often cook unless he was beaten by Aaron. This time he was, and Aaron settled in to cook for the ones that were already awake and setting some aside for the one that had yet to wake up. Thinking about Mira made him sigh a bit. He missed the closeness he used to share with her. Why she had become so distant, and so suddenly, was such a terrible mystery. Something he desperately wanted to understand, but simply couldn't, because she wouldn't tell him.

The girls came downstairs as Aaron finished up in the kitchen, lying out a short buffet on the long center island of the kitchen for the girls to put their plates together on their own terms and preferences. He greeted them with a bright smile that he could easily manage in their presence, sneaking upstairs to change clothes and brush his wild hair down. Before leaving the dim room to the sleeping Mira, Aaron paused to stare at himself. Tall and thin, he was a rather lanky type. Recently Mira had muttered about hating his hair, wishing he would cut it already. Under any other circumstances he would have done so, but she seemed to be speaking from a place of spite when she hissed such things, so he continually refused.

Going back downstairs, Aaron seemed to pass Kelvin without even noticing him, but smiled nonetheless. He was good at vanishing and reappearing, the family's butler and longtime friend, knowing the house better than even the family seemed to. It felt as if every day a new room was being uncovered, and a virtual city existed within the walls. Nowadays he relied on Kelvin's company, as Mira would often shut herself in one of the nearly countless rooms or wander into town and spend the whole day there. While the girls were learning their lessons, eating, or sleeping, Aaron took his mind off the nibbling loneliness and steeping depression by spending time with the man, who never seemed to mind the company.

"I'm... well, thanks." He said, looking back through the doorway to the dining room, where the girls were talking. Azure was quiet, nodding a little when her sisters spoke to her. "Admittedly, not that well... But I would love to see what you found, Kelvin, please lead the way." He indicated the hallway Kel referred to.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-19-2014, 02:59 AM

Kel smiled, lightly placing a hand on Aaron's shoulder and leading the man down the hall towards the new room. "I found it last night, while I roamed the halls." He stopped just beside a bookcase, reaching out and pushing it. It swung open like a door, revealing the secret room. Aaron liked secret rooms, and Kel tried his hardest to find them all within the manor's walls.

The room beyond was small, but not terribly so. Two armchairs sat facing a large window that over looked the greenhouses, where the girls had their lessons. Interesting paintings of landscapes and the manor hung on the bare walls and sunlight streamed in from the windows in the ceiling. "It's a lovely, warm room. Would be good in the coming winter months, sir."

He stood back and smiled, hoping Aaron would enjoy the room. "Maybe we could sit down and talk... Only if you have the time, of course."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 AM

Aaron curiously followed along, trying to pick where the door could possibly be. But he wouldn't have considered the bookcase itself, one of a pair in this hall, would swing open just like any other door, the heavy books sturdy in their shelves and unwilling to move at the provocation. Peering inside, Aaron felt his jaw fall open. It wasn't elaborate---the room was somewhat small, carpeted with dark, thick carpet of pale tan, the walls dark wood paneling. A large, arched window sat before the soft-looking chairs, letting warm light stream in.

"This is absolutely amazing." He said, stepping in and looking over the paintings. "This little room is more beautiful than most of the others... I'd love to spend time here..." He looked around to Kelvin. "It'd be nice to waste away some cooler evenings here... talk about our days... I can only imagine the evening sky..." He leaned against the window sill and stared down at the grounds. Beyond the greenhouse, he could see the deep green grass dotted with trees and flower beds centered with marble fountains, their bases covered in thick ivy. He and Mira would often walk their evenings away through the twisting cobblestone and then into the grounds beyond, down the gentle slope to the pond and into the little trail through the woods.

He breathed in shakily, forcing the memory away before the tears in his eyes could manage to fall. "Thank you for showing me this, Kelvin." Aaron said at last. "It... seems so peaceful." He turned to the man, allowing himself to smile.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-19-2014, 03:45 AM

Kel was pleased to see the smile on Aaron's face. He bowed, smiling himself. "I live to please you, Master." He entered the room after Aaron and looked over the grounds as well. A few of the gardens looked a bit overgrown. He made a mental note to do some gardening later on in the day. Even though the manor was huge, Kel seemed to be the only servant working there. He remembered the time of many maids and cooks, gardeners and groundskeepers. Aaron always seemed to like doing everything himself, to keep himself occupied during the days.

"Where is the Mistress today, sir?" he asked, hoping Aaron would talk to him about his failing marriage. Kel didn't like how she made him sad. He didn't like how she went out on expensive trips, with other men. He couldn't bring himself to tell Aaron about his adulterous wife. He would have to explain how he knew such things.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 AM

Aaron's eyes stuck against the painting of the manor. It looked to have been painted years ago, in somewhat muted colors with sharp strokes. It was one of the largest paintings, the largest of them all being a rendition of the fountain in the front lawn, a sculpture of his great great grandfather. He had spent the most time in the house, lived for far longer than he should have, it seemed. He always wondered just how long his family tended to live, because dates on death certificates were edited to seem logical, or so he had been told.

Aaron pursed his lips, looking back out the window. "She's... sleeping at the moment." He said somewhat shakily. "I, ah... think she returned a bit late last night. So I let her sleep in." He went around the chair he was standing behind and sat, pushing up his glasses and pressing the heels of his palms into his eyes. "I just don't... understand. I don't know what changed. I've done everything I can think of. I've given her everything she's ever asked for. I never stopped her from what she wanted to do, I even supported her through business plans that were destined to fail. I never said they would, or told her not to do something... Have I turned into something... awful?" He breathed shakily, looking up to Kelvin in hopes that he would have an answer but knowing he wouldn't. He couldn't.

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 AM

Kel came to Aaron's side straight away, as soon as the man started to break down. Kel could sense it. Aaron was so close to bursting into tears. He rubbed the man's back, wrapping his other arm around him in comfort. "Don't say that, Master. You haven't changed at all. She has changed and it's not for the best. These things happen sometimes, even to good people like yourself. You are a great man, Aaron. Probably one of the great Richards to live in these walls. If she can no longer see that..."

Kel shook his head and sighed. "Don't be sad, Master. I hate it when you are sad..." He would rather have his teeth pulled out of his head without anaesthetic than see Aaron cry. He glanced out the window in time to see the girls walking towards the greenhouses, where they were individually taught by only the best tutors. "Your girls still love you. Remember that, Master."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:36 AM

Tiny sparks of light exploded in the dark behind his eyes and hands, and when he took his hands away, they lingered for a moment before beginning to fall away. Kelvin's presence was reassuring, enough to put a dry cloth to what tears wanted to fall. His rock, Kel had been there from the beginning. Aaron couldn't remember a day when he didn't know the man, and he didn't mind that. He managed a small smile, but it faltered a little. "I know, Kelvin. And I adore my girls. I'll never stop loving them no matter what happens between their mother and myself. Though I wish I could do... something. I want my old Mira back."

He breathed in deeply, blinking hard. He didn't want to make Kel sad on top of it---it seemed the moment a negative emotion bloomed in Aaron's chest, Kel was there, trying to make it better. He appreciated it to no end, and tried his best not to be sad, to try to see the clear, light end of the tunnel, wherever that might be. And he would never show his shaken ground to his girls. They had to understand that while their mother may want to leave them, he never would. And he would keep them from that destructive path their mother had fallen to. He worried over them, fretted, but that was what a father had to do. And he would. He watched them enter the greenhouse with their tutors---three tutors, one that would teach each of the girls in their prospective ability. The twins shared one because of their similar age.

"Kelvin... I refuse to give up on Mira. But if she does first... so be it. I want it to go back to normal, but I fear it never will... and if it goes wrong... I would prefer to raise the girls on my own. With your help." He smiled, grasping his friend's hand. "I hope you don't mind. They do adore you, after all."

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 AM

"I would be delighted to, sir," Kel replied with a soft smile and bow. He did watch them grow up after all, and had helped Mira through her pregnancy with each one. If the woman wanted to throw away what good life she had, Kel refused to let it affect the children and Aaron. "You know I am here for you, no matter what happens. As long as you live here, you and your children, will be looked after."

He sat on the armchair next to Aaron, thinking about what he could do to help his friend. He didn't want Aaron to be broken hearted. The house around them groaned, as if listening to their conversation. Kel looked up at the rafters, his expression one of curiosity. "It would seem Mira is awake now," he said suddenly, glancing at Aaron and reaching out to hold his hand. "Go to her. Make things right."

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 AM

Aaron managed a smile. He never wanted to leave the house. Beyond the thought of the family that had, and almost immediately suffered apparently untimely deaths, he adored the house and its mystery, its hidden rooms constantly coming back from where they were hiding. He knew only of the main rooms in the basement, and could actually hear others beyond, but couldn't find the entrances.

Pausing, he looked up to where Kel did and tilted his head. He did seem to know the strangest things, or at least caught wind of something Aaron didn't normally. He put his other hand over Kel's and sighed. "I don't... know if I can. But I'll ask to talk with her, okay? I do want to make things... normal again. I miss our walks, our time together. Would you watch the girls for now? I would like to know how their lessons are going..." He smiled a little at Kelvin, then stood and left the room, pushing the bookcase just enough to hide the entrance to the room. Suddenly Aaron's legs were shaking, his palms sweating, He twisted his hands in front of him, stepping nervously upstairs. Mira was sure to have not left the bedroom yet, and it was a quiet place to speak. A private place in case one of the girls came inside during a break. He didn't want to subject them to any fight.

Shakily pushing open the bedroom door, he glanced in to find Mira awake, as Kelvin had said. "Mira, my dear, can we speak for a moment?"

NekoLen

Penpal

Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Of course Aaron was nervous. Kel wasn't sure he even knew how to be forceful with his words, how to talk some sense into his woman. He was ordered to stay and watch the kids, but he had ways to listen in on their conversation at the same time.

The girls were in the greenhouses, oblivious to any fight that would occur between their parents. Perhaps Azure had sensed the tension between them, she was the oldest, so knew something was up. She seemed to be distracted in her studies, but when asked if everything was alright by her tutor, she nodded and continued to work. Kel wished he could be there to talk to. He had always been there for the kids when they needed him. When they needed help with homework, or when Azure was dumped by her latest boyfriend... But he couldn't be there while they were studying.

Just like he couldn't be standing by his Master's side when he warily approached his wife, who had awoken and got out of bed. She was already texting someone with her expensive smart phone, probably planning to go out to meet her other man. She glanced up at Aaron, looking as though she would rather see someone else first thing in the morning. "What do you want?" she snapped, hiding her phone so he couldn't see who she was texting.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 AM

Aaron kept his face calm and placid when Mira snapped at him, but he saw her hide the phone. "Well, I..." He closed the door, thinking about his girls. They deserved an attentive mother and one that was always somewhere else mentally---and physically---just didn't work. They needed a steady figure and with Mira acting like a fool, Aaron simply couldn't feel steady. He knew Azure was aware that something was going on. He took a deep breath. "I need you to take more responsibility for your actions from now on. You're ignoring your children and they need their mother. They know something is going on."

"They're kids, they're focused on their phones and toys and friends." Mira rolled her eyes, going to the window and opening the curtain, blinking and squinting in the sunlight that streamed in.

"Mira, Laila wants to know where her mother is. I have to keep making excuses for you when you're out doing God knows what!" Aaron felt a little more confident suddenly, speaking of his young girls. He wanted only the very best for them, even if Mira didn't. "And who do you keep texting!?"

"That's none of your damn business!" Mira snapped, turning away from Aaron and bringing the phone out again.

"It's my business when I pay for the phone, when I pay for everything." Aaron stormed forward, turning Mira and snatching the phone. "I want to know what you've been up to!"

"No---Give that back! Give it, you son of a bitch!" Mira lurched forward, and Aaron held her back, keeping the phone out of reach. God---no! Give it! You f---"

"Mira!" Aaron had squinted at the screen, horrified at the series of texts he saw. They were so explicit he would have blushed had he not been flushed with rage. "You... you..." He pushed Mira back, stepping away from her. "You..." His heart was racing. Of course he wasn't stupid. He knew what it meant. "I can't believe you... you... Just..." He shook his head, stumbling out of the room and slamming the door. Mira---his Mira---cheating on him? It didn't feel possible. He couldn't conceive it but the phone in his hand didn't lie. He went back downstairs, finding the hidden room and slipping into it, collapsing into one chair and sobbing so hard his glasses slipped off his nose and clattered to the floor.