Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 AM

Ok, I noticed this a while ago, but I just now got kicked into posting this...You'll see why in a second.

Anyone else notice that after the Twilight books came out, how about 50 other titles having something to do with vampires were published? I havn't read most of them, but the few I did weren't even all that good. It's like authors saw the popularity of Twilight and went, "Oh, vampires sell now. Let's write a vampire novel!" It's disturbing...

DOn't get me wrong, I LOOOVE vamps, but this whole vampsplosion just sticks in my craw. Y'know? I liked vampires BEFORE they became "the hottest teen sensation" and now they seem over-sold and under-valued.

WHat do you think?

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-17-2011, 06:43 AM

I think twilight actually opened a good door for me... I read it, and then saw Interview With the Vampire on the shelf at my school library. At the time I was a huge fan of vampires, so I picked it up. I'm now very glad I did that, because I managed to replace my love for sparkles with a love for murdering five year olds... That probably sounds really wrong, but if you know who Claudia is, you'll understand.

coconutberry
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzeebear View Post
I think twilight actually opened a good door for me... I read it, and then saw Interview With the Vampire on the shelf at my school library. At the time I was a huge fan of vampires, so I picked it up. I'm now very glad I did that, because I managed to replace my love for sparkles with a love for murdering five year olds... That probably sounds really wrong, but if you know who Claudia is, you'll understand.
This, right here. I read Interview for the same reason, and I was not disappointed. I loved Claudia, I loved Lestat even more. I have yet to finish reading The Vampire Lestat, though. ^^;;;

Despite this, I do find it annoying that everything has to do with vampires now, especially in the young adult fiction. I can't browse the Wal-Mart book selection without seeing a million other Twilight knockoffs. >.>

Mika Rose
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM

I agree with you and I think most of the vampire books that came out before Twilight were much better than the majority of the more recent ones, but I don't really mind the newer ones, either. Although they aren't great works of literature or anything, a lot of them are fun to read once in a while anyway. And I do like the fact that there are more supernatural-based books these days, since that's mainly what I like to read about in the first place.

And I have to agree with Carzeebear; I probably wouldn't have found a lot of the better vampire novels, such as Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, if Twilight hadn't first gotten me interested in vampires in the first place when I was about thirteen. So, much as I hate to admit it, I probably do owe that to the Twilight series as well.

Beliar
*^_^*

Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 AM

I never read Twilight. I couldn't get into it because I read Interview with the Vampire first(I read it when I was 13 or 14 and it set my expectations for every book after that >>) So a bunch of books being released after Twilight doesn't bother me because I won't be reading most of them anyways.
Besides, it is not necessarily a bad thing to write more books for that genre, because it gets different people to read about something they wouldn't otherwise.

Last edited by Beliar; 03-19-2011 at 04:52 AM..

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 PM

Well, I have to say, I'm glad Twilight brought a few people into the world of truly good vampire fiction. I too love Claudia, and Lestat is definetly near the top of my list of favorite vampires. I have a friend who's wrting a vam novel at the moment, and his work is definately moving up towards the good side of vampire literacy. and love his ad for it... "American Vampire: Why should you read it? Because real vampires DON'T SPARKLE!" Makes me laugh evey time. And y'know, vampires don't need to be the main focus of a book to make it a good vampire book. Some times, a vamp as a supporting character can amp up a rather more dull novel.

I hate "Trends". But it seems to be incresingly clear to me, the worold is becomeing ripe with them....So sad...

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:11 PM

I've noticed that trend too, and it irritates me quite a bit, but for purely selfish reasons; I just detest how people say things like "Twilight: the Harry Potter of vampires!" and the likes, and then it goes downhill from there.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-20-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotacon View Post
Well, I have to say, I'm glad Twilight brought a few people into the world of truly good vampire fiction. I too love Claudia, and Lestat is definetly near the top of my list of favorite vampires. I have a friend who's wrting a vam novel at the moment, and his work is definately moving up towards the good side of vampire literacy. and love his ad for it... "American Vampire: Why should you read it? Because real vampires DON'T SPARKLE!" Makes me laugh evey time. And y'know, vampires don't need to be the main focus of a book to make it a good vampire book. Some times, a vamp as a supporting character can amp up a rather more dull novel.

I hate "Trends". But it seems to be incresingly clear to me, the worold is becomeing ripe with them....So sad...
I never actually liked Lestat all that much, but I'm a big fan of Armand. (Though he was cooler way back when they called him Amadeo.)

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
I never actually liked Lestat all that much, but I'm a big fan of Armand. (Though he was cooler way back when they called him Amadeo.)

*Grin* I'm particular to the Armand from the movie. I think he was portrayed...very well...Gave me chills :D

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-20-2011, 05:09 AM

*Hasn't seen the movie* I really need to get around to watching that, but I'm scared it'll kill my awesome mental images of the characters.

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
*Hasn't seen the movie* I really need to get around to watching that, but I'm scared it'll kill my awesome mental images of the characters.

You don't have to worry about that. The author herself loved the movie. SHe said it was just what she was expecting! And the movie RULES!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM

That's good. I shall have to hire it out on tuesday.

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 AM

Carzeebear: Did you check it out? Never heard back from you on this one....

Ugh, I just came back from the market, and what did my eye behold? 5 MORE VAMP BOOKS!!!!! ON THE BEST SELLER SHELF!!!!! AAAAUUUUGGGH!!!!! *Couchs* Sorry, still a pet peeve of mine :P

Blossom:D
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-08-2011, 04:24 AM

:P I've never read Twilight, but yeah, the vampire craze got a little crazy for a while. xD
It seems to always be that way in the media though. If a movie about robots is succesful, there'll be a ton of movies about robots.
I do, however, enjoy the Vladimir Tod series so far. :D It's nothing like Twilight and leans more towards traditional vampires, but in a newer way.

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-08-2011, 04:46 AM

Blossom:D: Sounds interesting. I may check that one out!

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 07-08-2011, 04:48 AM

I did! And I loved it XD Claudia was perfect, but why was Armand Spanish? Wasn't the actual character Italian?

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-08-2011, 04:54 AM

Carzeebear: Well, it's because of the actor they chose has that accent. He had the looks, but couldn't manage the voice. :P

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 AM

Yeah, I guessed that. But that's really the only hole I have to pick. Other than that, I was thoroughly impressed.

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-08-2011, 08:17 AM

Carzeebear: Glad you like it. It's one of my all time favs as far as vamp flixs go....Seen/read any new good vamp stuff lately? Or really bad ones you'd like to rage about?

PervertPrince
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Even before Twilight I didn't like vampires. The only kind of vampires I like are the grotesque monsterous kind, not the pretty boy emo kind that spend their time stalking teenage girls which is the kind of vampire a large amount of people seem to be into these days.

Last edited by PervertPrince; 07-09-2011 at 03:11 PM..

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM

I was into vampires before they were 'cool'. Everything from Dracula to Lestat. Then Twilight came out and its like -.- my poor vampires! *huggles*
I have to say there is one series that came out after Twilight. It's called Vampire Kisses, and it's kinda like twilight, except she's a confident goth( the only one in her entire hick-town), theres no annoying love triangle. So really it's nothing like Twilight ^.^

Shotacon: yeah my only peeve with the IWTV movie was the fact that Antoino Banderas played Armand. 1 the accent was wrong, 2 Antonio was too told (Armand was supposed to be a teenager).
I love the movie, but I prefer the guy in Queen of the Damned that played Armand. Matthew Newton has the better look.

PuppetGoddess
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-10-2011, 09:07 AM

I don't really like twilight. I like some of it but not all of it.
The love triangle is not something I should spend some time reading or watching. The female protagonist Bella is really weird in a bad way. I think her character would have been better. Yeah, teenage hormones but heck, Bella going after a guy yet stays with the vamp? Weird teenage wishful thinking is overdone by the author...or that's what I think.
I love some of the characters though especially on the vamps side.

--------------
"Stare. Listen. Just stand in the background as if you are just a part of a huge audience in a packed theater. You can see how they suffer as you watch your so called allies fill their hearts glee. I no longer want to stare and be paralyzed. I am the holder of the dreaded strings yet I was being controlled. I was made to control yet I was used."

Shotacon
\ (•◡•) /

Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 AM

PervertPrince: Those are fun, exspecialy if your looking for mindlessness in your "bad guys" Makes things simpler that way.

Codette: The thing I liked most from Queen of the Damned was the music videos at the end. I have those saved on my comp in one form or another. The music gives me shivers.

PuppetGoddess: So, in other words....you like Twilight, but you're not a fan............

PuppetGoddess
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 AM

I just like some of the characters but not Twilight xD Hehehe, I guess I'm just a fan of Dakota :P

PervertPrince
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotacon View Post
PervertPrince: Those are fun, exspecialy if your looking for mindlessness in your "bad guys" Makes things simpler that way.
Those kinda vampires make great minions for the main villian. Too bad you don't get many stories like that these days. These days all vampires are 'misunderstood' *rollseyes*