BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-10-2014, 01:52 AM

Anyone else playing this?

Official Site: Tomodachi Life

I just picked up a copy today. Kind of a Sims-esque people-pet-management game where you move your Miis onto an island and take care of them.

I made a new "self" mii using the camera. You finetune your mii's physical attributes just like in mii maker, and then you get to choose a voice and personality. I tried to be as accurate as possible with the personality and it turns out I'm kind of an ass. So I guess that's somewhat realistic.

My mii wanted a friend, so I whipped up a Brienne of Tarth mii. So far we're getting along great, cackling it up in Brienne's empty apartment.

It's so weird. :) I'll see about taking some screen caps after dinner.

Please holler if you're playing, I'd love to share impressions. :D

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM

I have not picked it up, but it looks like something I would enjoy. The whole "No same sex couples" thing really turned me off to it, though. :(

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-10-2014, 06:17 PM

Oh my. This game. It's so much quirkier than I imagined.

I come bearing crappy screencaps! :D

Here's what my DS camera thought I looked like yesterday, & what my mii said when we met:

Our first neighbor, Brienne of Tarth. Her personality turned out strangely appropriate to her character. She needs new clothes pronto, but I kinda love her:

Brienne and my Mii are buds. They spent the evening running around in circles in Brienne's empty apartment, with arms outstretched like they're playing airplane. I don't know wth they're doing that for, but it makes me cackle.

The second neighbor I made is "Vexy" - modeled after a character called Vex in Lost Girl (he's this dark fae mesmer dude in the show who runs a night club, bit of a spaz). Didn't manage to capture his first comment, but the game calls him an "entertainer" personality, which fits perfectly:
Vexy has the hots for my Mii and asked me if he could ask her out. What the heck, why not.

How it went downX

So he meets her on the beach and gives this little romantic talk that ends with, "Won't you be my mermaid?" My mii stares at him for a second and says..

"Sure."

That's it. Hahaha. I'm such a meathead. :D

Anyway, I guess they're an item now. I'm not yet sure what that entails. I peeked at them together in his apartment last night. I think they were just talking, but once they saw me watching they got all embarrassed and started doing push-ups.

Silly kids!X

Nothing to see here, we're just working out!

Meanwhile, I've imported a Thor mii that I got from Streetpass so Brienne can have someone to arm wrestle with.
He's actually a rather serious chap who spends his free time "practicing his faces" alone in his flat.

So far Thor and Brienne are pals, so that's good. She still prefers hanging out with me for some reason. Vexy gives Thor the creeps, though. He's always telling him shocking jokes.

I need to make some more miis today so I can observe more wild antics! And get that lint of my screen.. xD

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 11:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirona View Post
I have not picked it up, but it looks like something I would enjoy. The whole "No same sex couples" thing really turned me off to it, though. :(
Yeah, this part is dumb. The game seems to revolve around gender binary (the clothing, etc all force you to choose). Fairly typical failure to evolve the US market where "kids' games" are concerned - hopefully the backlash will make a difference for the next project.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Wow, it looks like a lot of fun! I thought Vexy was Captain Howdy.

Hopefully Nintendo will decide to be more inclusive like they said they were going to be, if they DO make a sequel to Tomodachi Life.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Hah, I aim to make a Captain Howdy! Not sure what to make him look like though. :) Figured I'd just model it on his current avatar.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM

Still no Howdy, but I did make a Captain Jack Harkness. xD He's fun. I'll upload some more pics when I get back tonight. So many odd happenings, it's hard to choose just a few.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 AM

I traded in some games for a digital copy of Tomodachi Life. :P Also traded in towards Smash Brothers for the 3DS. I'll let you know how I feel once I actually can play!

---------- Post added 06-13-2014 at 01:59 AM ----------

...My Mii had a dream where a piece of white bread and a tomato told him that they were in love and going to get married, but were tragically ripped apart because the Hand of God snatched the white bread and took him up to the heavens. :P

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM

They have some wild dreams. I'm glad you got the game! :D

I've got a houseguest IRL so I'm having a hard time getting much done on Mene, but, would you like to exchange Mii QR codes? I'll try to sneak on in a couple and post mine, anyway. :)

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-13-2014, 02:57 PM

Sure! Let me get my QR code. :P

---------- Post added 06-13-2014 at 11:12 AM ----------

Here's the QR code, Belly!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM

Awesome, thank you! :D I'll add you right away.

Forgive the poor quality. It should work, but if not let me know and I'll try to get a better picture (or set up the direct image dump).

Here's my "look alike" mii:

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-13-2014, 06:22 PM

It worked! I gave you my regular mii code, not the tomodachi life one. Opps. <:3c

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Aw, your guy is adorable! The personality I put in for you made you an "Independent Artist" - my first one, I think. :)

Adding a couple others I made in case there are any Torchwood or Lost Girl fans lurking. Again, shoddy image quality but I'm in a hurry, maannn! I'll try to set things up properly at some point & update these so they're easier on the eyes. :)

Captain Jack Harkness (Dr Who/Torchwood)

and Vex (Lost Girl)

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Thanks, Belly! Your character is adorable, also. :P

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 PM

Hee, thank you! Hopefully she doesn't terrorize the neighborhood too much. Gotta run and entertain folks, but I'll play some later and report back on your activities. :D

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-14-2014, 04:18 AM

My boyfriend's mii and my mii got into a fight over a teddy bear. My mii went to apologize but my boyfriend didn't take the apology. Later in the day my boyfriend's mii went to my mii's apartment to apologize. They're friends again. :3

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 AM

I have three married couples all of a sudden! My mii and Vex are expecting a baby soon, too.. haha.. I have a ton of screencaps to pick through. So many weird things have occurred, but you will probably have experienced many of them by the time I can sneak a moment to report on them. :) Still have company for a few more days.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-16-2014, 02:57 PM

A lot of strange things have happened on my island, yes. :P It's a cute little game!

llonka
Momma to the Crazies!

Penpal

Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 PM

I've thought about getting this game, it looks strange though. My boys think they want it, I don't have any extra money to get a copy right now though.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-19-2014, 05:06 PM

It's really fun, Llonka! In my game, Belly's Mii fell in love with President Obama. They constantly want to go on a romantic vacation, but I never have a travel ticket for them. :P

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-19-2014, 06:04 PM

That's a funny choice given my general loathing for politics! So far Elirona's mii doesn't have a romantic partner, though he's got several friends. So far your favorite food is meatballs. :D

Vex and my mii have had their baby. They called him Matthew, and while he has some cute behaviors he may very well be the ugliest thing on the island currently. I think I had a chance to change his appearance when they asked me what I thought of him, but I opted to compliment them instead. Felt mean otherwise, heh.

He seems to age a little bit each day. Today he's got hair (mom's color) and is toddling around the house.

edit: I have some images I'll try again to upload in a bit. Right now imgur is timing out on me.

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-20-2014, 04:18 AM

Do the mii children actually grow into Kid miis? :o

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM

I think they do! Mine might be one today. Last night he was sleeping in a toddler bed rather than a crib. I'll check when I get back from running errands. :)

Elirona
Giant butt

Penpal

Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM

Good, let me know! I'm infinitely curious now. :o

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 PM

Okay, not yesterday but today (I guess that makes it 4-5 days since birth? I've not been keeping track very well), my odd-looking little boy turned into a "Child" and was given the option of traveling the world. I let him do that rather than stay and move into his own apartment, and cute stuff happened and a whole bunch more areas opened up on the island.

I have to run again so I don't have time to xfer pics now either, but I'll try to sneak back on later.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 06-22-2014, 04:16 AM

Whew, sorry I've been so flakey about uploading pics.

Your mii's still doing fine. Made a few more friends. He seems to be rather obsessed with getting new hats.

In an attempt to make a more realistic/diverse world I made a few miis who I set to the opposite sex just so they'd be available partners for the same sex. It's not perfect but it's made an improvement & the world feels less creepy to me now. I added a whole bunch of miis at once though (like 6 or so) and since then the hooking up has slowed down a fair bit. It probably would have been better to just add 1 or 2 at a time.

Anyway, about babies! I'll dump some images and babble in spoiler bars in case folks don't want to know too much before they see it themselves in-game. :)

Random baby moments with my special-looking firstborn son xDX

So after you tell the couple that you think it's a good idea to have a baby, at some point in the next day or so you get a cell phone popup - it's a call from them letting you know they've done it!

"Help us, Cif's look-alike! Matthew won't stop crying" This was the first time I saw the creature close-up and I was a bit creeped out. Here's where I do a lousy job of rocking the baby while he wails. xD

They didn't really bother me for help too much, maybe a total of 3 times before he grew up. But I can visit their house at any time and "Babysit" if I want to play with the creature.

The activity you need to do to calm him down is slightly different depending on his age. Mostly I would just peek at them from time to time to see what they were doing.

Once you have a baby you get new photo options at the camera-icon-place. Apparently I didn't save any, but you should definitely check it out when you get the chance. They're kind of endearing.

Aging up and moving outX

On the 5thish (?) day there was another cell phone call popup saying Matthew was all grown up! Unfortunately all the eyes are closed in this pic, but whatever. xD

The whole aging-up process was terribly cute. You're asked whether you want to let your child leave to travel the world, or to stay and move into his own apartment. If you permit him to leave, it gives you a chance to change his appearance/personality and give him a phrase to say to folks he meets.

You're also presented with a memory book that you can view whenever you want (in your Town Hall under "Child Info") that shows pictures and videos of your little mii family interacting with the kidlet at various ages. (Made me feel better about letting mine leave, hee)

Since I sent Matthew to travel the world, he's also got a new page there that I can check on to view his travels over Streetpass.

Also, the campground opens up to accommodate Streetpass visitors. It says I should tend them to see if they need anything, so I imagine they might get the "problem" scribbles like the residents do? I'm excited for visitors! I'll probably drive to a hotspot tomorrow to see if I can find some. :)

I have two more couples with babies right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing how their tots end up. :) I'm also hoping that my original couple will want to have another one so I can make him/her stick around this time & see what that's like.

Last edited by BellyButton; 06-22-2014 at 04:35 AM..