Booderdooder
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-18-2014, 01:03 AM

I have a pet parakeet named Fado. I try to give him a wide variety of foods, since it is supposed to make them live happier and healthier for longer than if he eats seeds alone.

He is surprisingly comfortable with trying new food! A lot of people told me that it would be extremely difficult to get him to try new fruits and veggies, but he'll try just about anything I put in his food bowl.

My recent issue, though, is that I think he has been eating his own poop. It's gross, but pretty normal for most animals. It's just how they get minerals they may otherwise be lacking. But my problem is, I have provided him plenty of ways to get his much needed minerals and calcium. So I couldn't understand why he was still eating his poop.

I noticed he has never touched his mineral block or his cuttlebone. I assume he thinks they are toys, not food. So just now I decided to try grinding up a corner of his mineral block and sprinkling it over his seeds and veggies. As I was sitting on the floor, grinding up a mineral block and trying to catch all of the powder, I realized my bird is super spoiled. It's just something you have to do if you want to make sure your pet is 100% happy and healthy.

So I started wondering if you guys have any picky eaters, or have to do anything special for your pets.

Soki Rachiki
*^_^*

Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM

Our husky, Bonnie, is... Odd about her food. She will not touch certain foods, and sometimes, Bonnie will decide that she dislikes certain food. With her digestive problems, it could be dangerous if we get Bonnie cheap food or suddenly switch it out. So, she is not necessarily "picky"-picky, but rather odd about it.

Sorry if I worded that in an odd way. I am somewhat tired.

Booderdooder
⊙ω⊙

Old 04-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Nah, I get what you mean xP
She's not picky because she's a brat, she just needs special attention
Ugh, I become so gooey and lovey about animals xD

sailor star rainbow
\(@O@)ʌ...

Old 04-23-2014, 02:04 AM

My mom's shelites they are pick eaters when it. comes down to dog treats they have a dislike of milk bones. if I try give them a treat that is new they will leave it on the floor. sure they will eat the marrow treats,begging strips. even popcorn if I try give one my dog's treats they normally don't want it. but they will eat scooby snacks

My own dog there is only a few things she is picky about. she use to love broccoli when she was younger. now she won't even touch it if I give it to her. at times she will be picky when it comes to popcorn. if she is in the mood she'll eat it but if I try scooby snacks. the little brat would not try them she at like a snob about it.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 05-01-2014, 08:33 PM

I know Soki mentioned our dog, Bonnie, but she's not just a picky eater - she simply cannot eat most commercial dog foods. We've only found one brand that doesn't make her sick and it is crazy expensive. I think she gets bored with some of the flavors or will want a treat instead of her food.

Our cats are not picky at all and tend to gorge themselves to the point where they will make themselves sick if any of them thinks they are not eating as much as the others. They are sweet, though, and I think it's because we found them as strays. They just have issues about access to food.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 PM

The only time my cat gets picky is if there's not enough food in her bowl. She turns her nose up at it if there's not enough. Unfortunately she's fat and needs to lose weight so getting her to eat reduced food has been a pain

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 PM

My kitty isn't really a picky eater but she has tummy issues. I've tried a few different food brands and we even give her antacid pills now but she still gets sick from time to time. It makes me sad to see that she has such trouble eating...

Nugget
(-.-)zzZ

Old 07-21-2014, 08:30 PM

My dog won't eat anything cheap. Kibbles n Bits? Forget about it. She also won't eat those pretentious "gourmet" dog treats they make at hip little dog bakeries.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-21-2014, 08:36 PM

I recently learned my cat doesn't let wet cat food O.o
And to think I thought she'd eat anything

Adain-chan
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via MSN to Adain-chan

Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 AM

With dry food Lady is not super picky, but she is pretty in love with Orijen six fish. It smells foul to me but she loves it. With wet food it is a different matter. She will only eat Spot's Stew with any reliability. She generally dislikes plain pattees and everything else it just depends on what mood she's in.

Ermahgerd Berks
Black Metal Pony

Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Our cat won't eat anything but the gravy off her canned food. She leaves the rest to dry out, and then complains when it dries out.

We went without canned cat food for three days, and only had the dry food, and she ate some, but she complained the whole time, without stopping. She meows really loud.

The only thing she likes besides canned food with gravy all over it is tuna or sardines, because they're fish and she likes fish.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-01-2014, 02:13 AM

My animals are very spoiled. My boy cats will eat just about anything, however my girl won't eat anything but a raw diet. That's more because I've spoiled them to the point she became picky. She's a Siamese and they tend to be finicky to begin with.

My dog also will not eat anything with lots of fillers. She normally gets fed Blue Buffalo food. My husband brought home a big bag of dog chow that he had to return because my dog just sat there and looked at him like "wtf is this?" When he tried to give it to her even after I told him it's junk food basically.

She also doesn't like kibble treats and loves fresh veggies.

Devlyn

Old 09-02-2014, 04:12 AM

Ask your local pet store about it but I know for reptiles they have a calcium powder you can add to their sand since they take bites of sand as they eat. It may help your bird if you can add it to his water or food.
I'd definitely ask someone first but if it is safe then maybe that'd help out. It'd also be easier than grinding up the deposits.

I have two cats. One will eat everything in sight but hates cat treats while the other will only eat cat food (not even tuna,) but will live off of cat treats if I let her.

sheepcakes
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 PM

My cats Sophie and Calcifer won't eat from the bowl if they can see the bottom. It doesn't matter if the bowl is full and just one tiny spot is clear, they won't eat until it's filled or the food is settled down to cover the hole.

Their Grandmother, Kitt Cat, can only eat softened food. She's not picky, she's just old and the crunchy food is harder to chew. I mix a little bit of wet and dry food and let it soak a few minutes to soften up for her.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 11-17-2014, 03:34 AM

@sheepcakes - if possible, perhaps you can also warm up the food for Kitt Cat just a bit. The warmer temperature helps to bring the flavors of the food out more so she may be able to enjoy her meal better. ^_^ Just a suggestion!