Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Okay, so I really want to be able to start earning my own money. But I'm kind of lost on what I can do. Are there any jobs available for a high schooler like me? Maybe some advice on compiling a resume would be helpful too I'll need all the help I can get on this one!

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 02-03-2015, 04:18 PM

I worked at my local YMCA during highschool and the summers following. I attended college about 5 hours from home so I didn't work during school until later. But most universities and colleges offer student work opportunities. Then there's internships as well. I had two of those in college.

So it all depends on what you ultimately want to do and start taking jobs that will help you get there

jupiter
inactive account

Old 02-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Ugh, don't even bother with internships unless you're being paid.

If there's a university near where you are living, you can always go to their economics/business/personnel department and ask if they'll take a look at your resume (or help you build one). Most colleges have little programs that help you practice for job interviews or design a sick resume; calling and asking if they have one doesn't hurt. Take a peek at some examples online, and maybe even some critiques of resumes. People sometimes put "movies" under their interests, and a critique I read is "unless you're a film aficionado, don't bother". Even Tumblr has some great resources for designing your resume.

I hear a lot from employers about applicants not filling out the forms a business provides, or having misspellings on their resume, so I would be sure to double-check, and fill out all the [bullshit] forms they toss your way. Also practice for an interview, or have a technique to help you relax and have thoughtful answers; ace the interview, the job is yours.

With regards to what kind of job, it's up to you. Obviously you can't do a job that requires specific training, but you're more than capable of working in a newspaper office, doing any kind of clerical work, maybe jumping into the administrative field and being a medical records clerk for a hospital. There's the food service industry, where you don't need a degree to be a waiter or barista.

Good luck.