Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 AM

I have an eyebrow shape that everyone has decided is gross (by 'everybody' I mean many of the women in this comment section: Brow Psychology: Are Your Eyebrows Telling People They Can Yell At You? | xoJane, and the "Boouty" experts that pop up when you google "tadpole eyebrows") Surprisingly, this doesn't make me feel bad about myself. It makes me kind of mad. I have no problem with tweezing your eyebrows to get rid of extraneous hairs and to give it a more concrete shape. But this is my natural eyebrow shape and I am fine with it. Do people think that eyebrows are malleable things we can "influence", outside of completely reshaping them and painting them on? WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH PASSIONATE OPINIONS ON OTHER PEOPLE'S EYEBROWS?

This kind of thinking is just so foreign to me, you know?

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 02-20-2014 at 10:33 AM..

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM

The only thing with these beauty blogs is that they're never in a positive light. Just looking at the website you posted, it really does nothing to help because a woman should be able to decide how she wants her eyebrows to look. I think the only "wrong" is not to over pluck and not make your eyebrow have harsh lines.

Unfortunately, these blogs tend to miss out on the fact that people may have naturally thin eyebrow hair or their eyebrows end half way. The tadpole eyebrows are generally assumed that women pluck their brows like that versus you being born with them. It would've been nice if they explained how to strengthen your natural brow or.. whatever else that doesn't involve you have the wrong brows.

My eyebrows, I guess could follow under the "Highway Doe" except not that exaggerated. It's a little annoying how the woman types but I guess she's a eyebrow guru. She must have a degree in eyebrow psychology!

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM

You're right about beauty blogs. There's always an approach of fixing things, rather than just discussing, I would say.
I mean, look at this (tadpole brows again, different site, with this entry actually being entitled offensive eyebrows. fgs)
Quote:
I don’t think it has ever been a fashionable eyebrow shape,it just happens after years of over plucking and confusion over where the arch should be.
Not if you have hair grow above your eyes and you're me.
Quote:
If you’re trying to correct a tadpole brow, grow the hair from the beginning of the brow to the arch
lol can't
Quote:
The tadpole shape is a clowns secret weapon, best left to them.
Was that really necessary. Harsh, bro.

Actually, these are probably the best eyebrow shape I could have, as my eyes are deep set, and these play along the socket. Anything stronger would stand out dramatically as apart from my actual eyes.

Yeah, apparently she's the eyebrow whisperer or something.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM

My sister overplucks and trims her eyebrows.

She's 31 now so I suppose she's going to carry on doing it forever, I wish she'd stop but she's been doing it since she was at school so I don't suppose she will. Sad because she had brows that were naturally a lovely shape, I don't know why she started plucking them in the first place. o.o

Axenblade
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to Axenblade

Old 02-08-2014, 12:29 AM

... That article confused the heck out of me- Do people really pay so much attention to eyebrows?

Is this a girl thing or...?

Flowery Pit
Come fall into my abyss

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
My sister overplucks and trims her eyebrows.
She's 31 now so I suppose she's going to carry on doing it forever, I wish she'd stop but she's been doing it since she was at school so I don't suppose she will. Sad because she had brows that were naturally a lovely shape, I don't know why she started plucking them in the first place. o.o
Plucking can get addicting, honestly. I think in some way it's just satisfying to remove hair and sometimes people can get carried away.

Have you tried bringing it up to tell her to tone it down? I mean, it's hard thing to tell someone to stop. Sometimes, I get too antsy to wait to have my brows grow back in but you don't want her to ruin them. Sometimes they won't grow back.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-08-2014, 04:06 PM

I'd not raise the subject, they're her brows, me thinking they look too thin is neither here nor there really, is it? I don't think there'd be any way to bring it up without her taking offense, to be honest. Because it's critisising the way someone looks, however you look at it.

Axenblade: yeah, it's mainly a girl thing, though you can bet there's some gay guys out there who are just as pinickity!

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axenblade View Post
... That article confused the heck out of me- Do people really pay so much attention to eyebrows?

Is this a girl thing or...?
Not this girl thing.

Though I did one time shave off half of one of them. I don't know why I did that.

8a8y

Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowery Pit View Post
I think in some way it's just satisfying to remove hair and sometimes people can get carried away.

Tugging and pulling at hair obsessively can be a real problem for people. There is a disorder strongly related to OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) called trichotillomania. I know a girl at school who told me she used to have to wear hats when she was growing up because she would have fully bald patches of hair from her pulling compulsions. One of my best friends pulls her eyelashes and eyebrows when she gets stressed out. The other girl has nice long hair now, and my friend's condition is a relatively mild one, but it's devastating to have to deal with something so difficult to control, especially something like the first girl has a major impact on your physical appearance.

Of course, there's a line between plain old bad habits and serious compulsions, and I'm not in any way suggesting this woman's eyebrow plucking is anything of the sort (I'm no doctor !), but since I both know people affected by hair pulling issues and I have compulsions myself, I can understand the feeling she's possibly experiencing. While I don't have those exact problems, one of my compulsions is that I obsessively pick at my cuticles and the skin around my fingernails (this one's called dermatillomania, why do these have to be such awkward mouthfuls?), so it's a bit similar.

This stuff seems so silly from the outside, like really? You pull out your EYEBROWS? but it's pretty distressing when it happens to you! It's surprisingly hard to control the feeling of needing to do whatever you "need" to do! Humans are so weird sometimes, seriously.

This ended up ridiculously long, err... I'm not sure where I was going with this. Basically wanted to add in that little tidbit of info I guess, your comment on it sparked my brain! I should get back to homework, whoops.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-20-2014, 11:58 PM

One of my eyebrows curves more than the other. It's not noticeable until I try to pluck out the hairs along the bottom to give myself a nice arch - I end up with one beautiful, perfect arch, and one that's more of a gentle curve.

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM

I've never probably tried to pluck my eyebrows or anything, and don't plan to. My eyebrows aren't a perfectly lovely shape either. It has some.. Odd shape you can call it, with thicker hairs in the middle and both the eyebrows connected by small lines, and so on. My friend here has perfectly shaped eyebrows. One of my teacher had very severe looking eyebrows but she was very kind, and nobody thought bad for her because of that. I don't think eyebrows can reveal so much, those people on the blog are just being stupid and bitchy because they can't show any expression themselves and are depending on the shape of their lovely brows and colour of their lipstick. Take that now, ha!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-22-2014, 01:46 AM

Oh, I don't pluck either. I use small scissors and just trim them very, very close. I have light hair, so I can get away with it. Once in a while I think "oh, let's just do this proper" and pluck one single hair and then my eyes are watering, the skin is red and swollen, and I give up.

pumpkins
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-22-2014, 10:10 PM

Cherry, have you tried eyebrow razors? They're gentler than plucking and could be easier to work with than scissors : ) altho I don't know how good you are with them!

I think that people tend to look the best with the eyebrow shape they're born with :)
It's funny how one day you start to notice eyebrows and then you can never 'unsee' them. You know?

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 PM

I've seen them, but I haven't tried them. Shaving the rest of my body hair goes so poorly - as soon as I get a slight stubble growing back in, the area becomes so painful to touch and will bleed if rubbed - that I'm afraid to risk evoking that sort of wrath on my face.

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 03-26-2014, 06:16 PM

I don't pluck, because I forget.
I look fine, nobody really cares.
xDD

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-29-2014, 04:52 AM

I have wild unruly man brows and have since I was a teen. Used to pluck the living daylights out of them and now there are some weird baldish areas and I fill them in with a brow powder. They still grow in like an 80yo biker and I have to trim them, but not as bad finally. I'm not as obsessive about it mainly because I cannot see the blasted things without a magnifying mirror and my glasses on anymore! Mercifully, I go to a salon where the stylist is very conservative about how much she removes when she waxes.

I think if you are cool with the shape of your brows, don't mess with them. I find it weird that people even say anything about the shape on beauty blogs and can tell you from experience that there are eyebrow shape fads out there and they change radically over time.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM

As you may know, quizzes (especially buzzfeed quizzes) are a thing right now. This one appeared to me, and how can I not?
What Kind Of Eyebrows Should You Have

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
What Kind Of Eyebrows Should You Have?

You got: Rasied Brows

Your tastes are exquisite and you have no problem telling everyone. If there were ever a reason to raise an eyebrow, you’ve found it. Might as well move them up permanently so your forehead doesn’t get wrinkles.
Fitting I guess, as it's her Maj. xD

Do you think The Queen is an ACer? She's always wearing head to toe matching colours.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-29-2014, 11:27 PM

OMG. Those questions were hilarious!

Jelly: No idea what an ACer is.

Quote:

You got: Penciled-In Brows

You’ve got style and moxie and you know exactly how to get what you want when you want it. Why would you give up control of your eyebrows, either? Tame those beasts. Pencil them in.
9c13691e4da0ad3d765621b0276cecce-0.jpg

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Elmira Swift:

Someone who hangs out pretty much exclusively in the Avatar Chat forum. Go back a few years and ACs were a wee bit obsessive, and just a tiny bit scatheing about other people's ways of dressing their avatars.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 PM

I think I remember seeing that happen in the Avatar Chat forum, which was a reason why I avoided it!!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-31-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:

You got: Unibrow

You are an open book, and that book is a tale of perseverance and bad-assery. You are confident and unapologetic about your natural sex appeal. Your body is your temple and your artistic palette, and that art grows wild and free and all over your face.
Why am I not surprised?

Ikuto Akihiko Hasegawa
is full of flavor

Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:

You got: Bushy Brows

Are those caterpillars on your face? No! Those are your eyebrows, used like everything else in your life as a comedic prop. Your distinctive look gives you an edge to making everyone around you laugh.
Actually digging the thick eyebrow look lately too.

I get mine plucked or waxed when I feel like doing something with them. Which is... not often.
I went through a phase in high school where I would shave half of them. Saw a picture of myself with them that way and stopped that mess.
To me, my eyebrows are pretty thick anyway, but I have noticed in pictures that the outer halves are less so. So I'm wanting to clean that area up a bit and experiment with the whole filling in thing to see how it looks. P:

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-05-2014, 05:05 AM

Ha, they all do seem appropriate!

Little I3ird
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-05-2014, 05:19 AM

I am a natural blonde. Consequently, my eyebrows are naturally blonde, and when I say blonde? I mean like... practically transparent blonde they're so light. People ask me all the time if I shave my eyebrows. I have never plucked, shaved or altered my eyebrows in my entire life. They exist, but people have to lean in really close or catch light reflecting off of them to believe me. I've tried dying them a dirty blonde or brown... anything to stop the stupid questions. It gets a little old, honestly. I also refuse to "pencil in" my eyebrows. I have them, and if people don't like them? Not. my. problem. >: