Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 PM

Do you wear a fragrance? If so, which one have you chosen? Or is there a scent you want and just can't find?

I don't really wear one. I'm low, low maintenance, er, cosmetically. And I find myself hostile to scents that demand your attention. Which is all the more probable when you are stuck with it on you for hours at a time. Then there's the possibility that a scent can make you nauseated.
My "scent" is basically very mild. It's actually just a combination of my milled soap,

Quote:
Romantic & Ethereal: Deep Vanilla, Exotic Wood, White Orchid, Ebony
Objects to Desire | TokyoMilk by Margot Elena

and my deodorant

Quote:
Innocent & Fresh. Essential oils of Spanish lavender and soft vanilla give a light and powdery fresh sensation.
Healthy Deodorant - Vanilla Lavender | LAVANILA LABORATORIES

They blend well enough together, and they are basically unnoticeable.

I will say, that I would wear a perfume if I could find one made with these aromas: Cedar (proper cedar, stimulating and rich, rather than the "cedarwood" you find in incenses, all heavy and syrupy), pears, cardamon, pomegranates, and poppies.
Somebody get on that for me

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 02-28-2014 at 02:49 AM..

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 PM

I can't use fragrances as I have a skin allergy to them :(

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 PM

Ah, so do you mix skin products, like I do? For environmental reasons, I don't buy things with "fragrance" in the ingredients.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 AM

I have loads of scented lotions (like bath & body works stuff, not like a bottle of jergens with a slight scent), body sprays, and a few actual perfumes, but I don't feel like I've found just the perfect scent for me yet. I generally gravitate towards things that are "clean," citrus, or mint. Nothing strong, nothing thick. My favorites are B&BW aromatherapy mint & eucalyptus, and CLEAN Warm Cotton.

I'm also quite fond of B&BW lime and coconut (lotion), dancing waters (body spray), and cucumber melon (lotion). I've got so many other bottles of lotions and sprays that I never use, though; I really need to do something about those. They're all nice scents, just not things I want to smell like all day. I've traded a few of them to my mom in return for a new bottle of my favored scents.

I've also tried just going through them, but I've found that not wearing them for so long has made them "smell like" a certain time. I have this quite nice vanilla lemon lotion that, no matter what I do, smells like dating my ex. Every time I try to put it on, wham, I'm sitting on my bedroom floor playing SNES with Connor. Nope nope nope. I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS EMOTIONAL ABUSE, LOTION. KNOW YOUR PLACE.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 04-09-2014 at 06:08 AM..

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Scent can be awful for that, I know. Your sense of smell evokes the strongest of memories, that's great when they're good ones. But when they're bad...

Jo Lo Glow is a fragrance I cannot stand the smell of because of this. I was on a daytrip to London and I tried some Glow in a department store as it had just come out at the time. I liked it. I had a text from my mum on the way home telling me to give her a call when I got back. When I called her she told me my nan was at death's door and we had to go to the hospital the next day to say our goodbyes...

Now my nan pulled through, but if I just get a whiff of Glow now...

Last edited by jellysundae; 04-10-2014 at 11:37 AM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Oh goodness, that's awful.

Apparently it can be used to some advantage, though? I've read if you wear a perfume you don't normally wear while studying, then wear it on test day, that can help. For me, though, it just evokes being stressed. Not what I need on test day.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM

Hmm, now that's an interesting idea. That would involve some brain training too, wouldn't it. I think I'd rather immerse myself in things that all had happy, comforting and calming associations, myself.

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 PM

My favourite perfumes that I've smelt and worn are Bvlgari Blv and Burberry Brit. Their smells have similarities in them, at least to my nose. I love their smell because they aren't the hurts-your-nose type of smell and they make me think of cold weather or cold evenings. Also, they last quite a long time on me, even when I throw my clothes to the laundry hamper. I've worn Bvlgari Blv more because I was able to get a big bottle because it's more affordable where I am compared to the Burberry Brit. The Burberry Brit, I just got a sample bottle from my ex back when he still wasn't my ex.
I'd like to smell Chanel No 5 simple because I'm curious of its smell and why it's so heard of, and especially Miss Dior Cherie because I think it may belong to the same... I don't know, genre?... as the Bvlgari Blv and Burberry Brit.
I like fresh scents too, like DKNY Be Delicious, Eclat d’Arpège Lanvin, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, Omnia Amethyste Bvlgari, and L'Eau par Kenzo. My two older sisters love perfumes so I get to try quite a few.

For regular days, I only wear a cologne. One cologne that I've used since elementary is Johnson's Baby Cologne in Regular. I don't know if this is sold in other countries though. The scent of this cologne also sticks on me and my clothes like glue. I consider it as a cooling kind of smell but not a refreshing or fresh smell, I suck at descriptions.

There's one body spray that reminds me of bad memories that I'd rather not talk about but I forgot the name of that body spray. Must be my brain's way of forgetting it so as not to remember bad memories.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-11-2014, 06:24 AM

I'm also a cosmetically low maintenance person. I just smell like my shampoo, soap, and natural body oder when I forget to put on deodorant. I've never liked the way that commercial perfumes smell though—I've been trapped on the bus with people wearing too much perfume or cologne too many times.

However, I do own a bottle of Goerge Takei's "Eau My" because my uncle bought bottles of it for the whole family for Christmas. I wore it once, and it was okay, but I doubt I'll wear it again. I just enjoy owning it.

There's a guy in New York who makes incredible sounding perfumes that I would really love to sample—I heard him give an interview on the radio, and he said he has a scent that smells like a musty old book store...and I want that! I love that smell of old books. It reminded me of the part in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, when Hermione says love potions smell a bit like fresh parchment.

Someday I might make my own perfume. I really love lime scent, vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, and almond. If I could get some mixture of those, plus the smell after rain, I would be pretty happy.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Chexala, I think you're thinking of Demeter, maybe? They do weird scents like old books, play-doh, etc. They also have some really simple ones. Currently on their homepage is daffodils. I've never smelled their stuff in person so I can't vouch for it, but I really like the idea of a perfume that's just one thing. Just daffodils, not daffodils and musk and sandalwood and amber and jasmine and sea salt and bergamot and oh god it's attacking my nose help

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 AM

Oh, that's a different company than I was thinking of, although it looks interesting.

I looked it up, and I can't believe I forgot the name, because it's so perfect: CB I Hate Perfume (CB is the maker.) The scent I heard about on the radio is called In The Library.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 07:06 AM

That sounds lovely! Can't help noticing that it's way more expensive than Demeter, though. But it's cool to see one note fragrances becoming more of a "thing." I hate the standard "perfume smell," it's just too busy and crazy. Most of the scents I own are body sprays just because those tend to be so much simpler.

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM

I haven't visited an old bookstore, there's none here where I live, but if a place like that would smell like the old pages of a book then I would really like that! One of my older sisters and I have collected a lot of books since we were kids and we both love smelling the pages of the book every time we open one to reread the story in it.

@Chexala @Cherry Who? You both would definitely not like being around my oldest sister then, she sprays her perfumes like she needs it to breathe. She bathes herself in her perfume instead of just spraying it on her pulse points. Because of that I tend to not really like the perfume she wears because who would like a perfume if it's scent hurts your nose like there are two fingers lodged deep inside your nostrils.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Oh my goodness. I encounter people like that in public sometimes; they walk past you and you can still smell their perfume a minute later, even though they're long gone. @_@ If I'm wearing an actual perfume, I'll only use one, maybe two sprays. That second is usually just due to me forgetting it's not a body spray and must be used differently.

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-11-2014, 07:20 AM

You'd encounter a lot of people like that here, including men. Maybe, people here think that the right way to wear a scent is to let people within 2-4 meters around them be able to smell them. They do it even with colognes and body sprays. Men here especially like the smell of Axe body spray. Instead of appreciating their scent, I'd end up wondering if they really do smell that bad because they just had to spray that much on their body.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sestina View Post
I haven't visited an old bookstore, there's none here where I live, but if a place like that would smell like the old pages of a book then I would really like that! One of my older sisters and I have collected a lot of books since we were kids and we both love smelling the pages of the book every time we open one to reread the story in it.

@Chexala @Cherry Who? You both would definitely not like being around my oldest sister then, she sprays her perfumes like she needs it to breathe. She bathes herself in her perfume instead of just spraying it on her pulse points. Because of that I tend to not really like the perfume she wears because who would like a perfume if it's scent hurts your nose like there are two fingers lodged deep inside your nostrils.
Yeah, I said old bookstore, but I really meant old books. That lovely musty smell when you open an old book and flip through the pages...ah, so nice. I love the smell of new paperback books too, but that's a different experience.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 07:24 AM

Men do that here, too, with Axe. Although it's a thing that tends to be associated with high school boys and young men. Though I can always tell when my boyfriend's roommates (26-29) are going out for the night because suddenly the whole apartment smells like cologne. It's definitely not something I find attractive in men. Luckily, my boyfriend doesn't wear colognes. He wears a deodorant that has a nice smell if you're close, and ditto for aftershave. Neither are overpowering, and you can't smell either unless you're close. Subtlety is best.

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 AM

@Chexala Me, too. Everytime I go to a bookstore and I get interested by a book, I open it and sniff the spine of the book at the middle of the pages. From what I've smelled, there are new books that smell better than others and there are some that doesn't quite smell right at all.

@Cherry Who? Ooh now I know that the so-called "Axe Effect" is happening around the world, except that it doesn't affect girls, it only affects men by having them spray too much of it on themselves.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 07:42 AM

I don't think it is at all helped by the actual Axe commercials, which always show the guy just spraying, like, his entire torso with the stuff. Guys look at that and think "well, I want to smell really nice, so I'll put on even more than that!" when honestly, the amount shown sprayed in the commercials is probably too much to begin with. @_@

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM

You captured their logic there perfectly.

About male deodorants there's one deodorant that I really noticed and like the smell of, I think it's this particular one from Old Spice but I'm not sure if it's that one or the one with the green color for it's scent label.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 04-11-2014, 07:35 PM

I think that's the one my boyfriend uses, actually! I know it's an Old Spice deodorant like that. It smells so nice.

Sestina
Child of the Night

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 PM

Whoa! If your boyfriend really does use the Old Spice too, then maybe men should just only start wearing Old Spice deodorant instead of over-spraying themselves too much of Axe. We, women, would probably want to be nearer to them.

AlexiStarlight

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 AM

I like Old Spice Champion body spray (lightly, obviously! a little goes a long way) and a cologne that I think used to be made by Journey's that they don't sell anymore? I got a bottle like two weeks before they quit selling it, and I use it rarely enough that I still have like over half of it.

For prettier smells I go for either Moonlight Path from Bath and Body Works or Haiku by Avon (my mom loves sending me these so I rarely ever have to buy them myself lol).

I don't really wear any of these super often, just special occasions when I want to go for a certain smell-sthetic. (I also usually only wear enough so that I can smell them, mostly cause I do so for my own nose.)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-12-2014, 12:28 AM

Oh god, guys over-applying >< My neighbour does the same! If I walk down the corridor I know when he's recently gone out because it smells of his deodorant in the part of his building where he's going to have walked.

It's true that the ads showing guys spraying it across their chest are doing our lungs no kind of favours. But the fact that so many males seem to use excessive fragrance application as a means to cover up the smell of sweat, instead of washing...gross!!

I blame mothers for this. Girls are generally clean, but so many guys...nope.

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Old 04-12-2014, 06:32 AM

I don't even know how to format this, there are so many things i want to reply too

I thought I smelled an amazing perfume the other day. I was exiting my classroom at the Nordic Heritage Museum here in Seattle with the rest of my classmates, and the smell hit me. It was just subtle and slightly spicy and comforting and warm, with a hint of fruit and floral. I really had never smelled a more delicately lovely perfume before. I couldn't figure out who it came from, so I planned to move on with my life. Then my later my teacher mentioned that they were making Icelandic Pancakes in the function room down the hall. Apparently I want to smell like an Icelandic breakfast.

I love the scent of traditional jergins! I was on a plane last year and the woman next to me applied some to her arms. I didn't want her to stop. I think my mom used to use it, many many years ago (in part we are dealing with the olfactory memory thing Cherry mentioned. But it also just smells fantastic). As far as Bath and Body works, the one scent I like from there happens to be Moonlight Path, as AlexiStarlight mentioned However, I'd argue that it doesn't smell as good (read: subtle) as it did when it first came out, around 2000. I still have a tube of hand and nail therapy stuff from that period. It does have that "product decay scent" a bit now, but it still smells enough like it and that is great. The thing that is close enough in tone to that, in my mind, is the Healing Garden zzztherapy's Silk Pajamas: The Healing Garden ZZZ Therapy Body Lotion with Chamomile Reviews – Viewpoints.com But it doesn't appear to be made anymore...

I actually came in here to, well I came in here because I saw there were replies, but what I was going to contribute was something related to... Demeter! You guys are all ahead of me in so many ways I was on tumblr the other day and saw a post about how the blog owner really wanted/was surprised that in this day and age there wasn't a shampoo that made your hair smell like a bonfire. I couldn't help agreeing, I love that smell lingering there. I happened to go through the comments and someone suggested she try the demeter version: Bonfire Demeter Fragrance perfume - a fragrance for women and men 2009 Have any of you tried it? It sounds vaguely like a hand soap that i have and LOVE, Method's Silver Birch - method : gel hand wash – FALL LIMITED EDITION I haved talked to someone on here about it, was it zigbigadorlube:? Anyway, I have four of them under the sink in reserve :3

Speaking of things seen on tumblr, I saw these the other day: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RavensCtAp...on_id=14427271 I think it's a spendid idea! (I kind of have a weird literary house product weakness. I have three things that are Edgar Allen Poe themed -two candles and one air freshener.) I can say is that I too prefer Old Spice, when it comes to familiar men's scented products More input on the axe front, other than "yeeecp, that whole marketing concept and the overabundance of it , I haven't got

I posted an eyebrow quiz in the eyebrow thread, now I'm posting a perfume one in the perfume thread.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathalegge...nt-actually-be
Sadly, I didn't find it particularly helpful. I got the Yves Saint Laurent one *shrugs*

Edit: Actually, I think I am thinking of the Healing Garden zzzTherapy Serene Dreams pillow and room spray: https://www.makeupalley.com/product/...g-Garden/Other
Again, doesn't seem to be around anymore. I'm leaving the other in as it was also rather nice.

Last edited by Cardinal Biggles; 04-12-2014 at 06:53 AM..