Moonflower
*^_^*

Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM

:rofl: Change is a good thing! The site would eventually become stagnant if everything stayed 'as is'. Yay for more options! :squee: Thanks for your hard work!

And I love the bunnyfish! OwO Their faces of absolute horror are pure win! <3 I see yumeh as being meh about whether we had mennies or not. All he would care about is fish. >,>

Anoni
is a cool kid.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Oh cool, donation by SMS. :)
One question though - if the text costs $4.50 AUD for Australians, which roughly equates to $3.80 USD, does that mean we get around $3.80 worth of mennies or would that still be $2.50 USD?

Rad Lionheart
(ó㉨ò)
Send a message via AIM to Rad Lionheart Send a message via MSN to Rad Lionheart

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM

Can't say I'm particularly satisfied with this, but I can't say I'm disatisfied.
It's just changing when I donate, so it's still good.

At least I'm not upset like I am with Gaia's recent change.

So I'll say good job.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Something new again?
Ah.. a second currency? I have to admit I'm not fond of that really, but then again I always need time to get used to it, so I might love it tomorrow! ^-^

I'm very happy that you have considered other countries to pay for CI's! Thanks!

I would really like to know more, or for someone to explain a bit more about the mennies and how you get them/what you spend them on/how.

Mama Juru
Why you crying?
Assistant Administrator

Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM

YOu would get 380 mennies because of the exchange rate, Anoni.

lunanuova, you purchase mennies from the contribution page. You can use Paypal, you can use snail mail or now you can use your cell phone.

Jeannesha
Lost in a cloud

Penpal

Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Why did you choose to make it so that they can't be traded?

It seems to work quite well on Roliana. Over there, I buy their Platinums from people who are able to donate, and then I can buy their contribution items with the Plats.

Now, if you took credit cards directly, without going through PayPal, I would be happy...

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM

Does it cost money to recieve the text message(s) that come through with the code?

Quote:
1.50 £ for each message received.

Kultura
(◎_◎;)
Send a message via MSN to Kultura

Old 09-08-2009, 09:17 PM

... Mennies are only gonna be used for CIs, right?
Like, forever?

*slightly worried :oops:*

I have to read more into the SMS thing... :ninja:
Thinking that too, Luna.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM

Mennies will be used for anything that we sell, now or in the future.

From what you've quoted, luna, it would look like it. This is a downside of text payments, but we're just trying to offer an alternative for people who want to donate but cannot use Paypal or post in donations.

lunanuova
l u n a

Penpal

Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM

So if I texted, it would cost 1.50 and then when I get the text back, (assuming there will just be one reply) it would cost another 1.50? Hmm >.<

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Oh dear... It's like Gaia all over again. It was the invention of Gaia Cash that turned it into what it is, and now it seems like Mene is following Gaia down that same dark path.

Cemetery
Mene Penpal

Old 09-08-2009, 09:40 PM

...I don't like the whole meenies thing.... reminds me too much of gaia now with their whole cash thing.

Please, Tell me your not going to turn into a gaia cloned site, I'm really sick of every site that i go on, and they do the whole "___ shop" may it be Gcash, Ncash, Scash. whatever... It's rather bothersome.

Try and stay the way you are. don't go down hill now! YOUR TOO YOUNG TO GO DOWN HILL!

FakeSunShine
Loveless Angels
Send a message via AIM to FakeSunShine

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 PM

so text it 4.99. per text is that like.... ill get 499 mennies? i do not follow...

and if so that so stinks cause like a penny short is just silly and i cant afford to do two transactions to be able to get the 2 items you know? my mother would have like a cow or something

Last edited by FakeSunShine; 09-08-2009 at 09:53 PM..

Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannesha View Post
Now, if you took credit cards directly, without going through PayPal, I would be happy...
I don't disagree, but why in particular do you prefer to not use Paypal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunanuova View Post
Does it cost money to recieve the text message(s) that come through with the code?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunanuova View Post
So if I texted, it would cost 1.50 and then when I get the text back, (assuming there will just be one reply) it would cost another 1.50? Hmm >.<
Nope, only the final text with the code costs you 1.50. The other messages are just confirmations so SMS Kambi knows you aren't being lied to about the price. You may have to pay the normal messaging cost for the other messages though. So in Australia you might pay a few cents for example, or if you have unlimited text it should cost you nothing extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemetery View Post
...I don't like the whole meenies thing.... reminds me too much of gaia now with their whole cash thing.

Please, Tell me your not going to turn into a gaia cloned site, I'm really sick of every site that i go on, and they do the whole "___ shop" may it be Gcash, Ncash, Scash. whatever... It's rather bothersome.

Try and stay the way you are. don't go down hill now! YOUR TOO YOUNG TO GO DOWN HILL!
WE DON'T WANT TO BE GAIA! Mennies were an essential step to handle multiple currencies, and to make things a lot easier to deal with. Compare us like Myspace and Facebook. Myspace is full of spam and ads, Facebook has the users interests in mind and doesn't force anything down your throat more than they have to. Gaia is the Myspace in this situation ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeSunShine View Post
so text it 4.99. per text is that like.... ill get 499 mennies? i do not follow...

and if so that so stinks cause like a penny short is just silly and i cant afford to do two transactions to be able to get the 2 items you know? my mother would have like a cow or something
Actually, I coded it to add $0.01 to all donations, that means you will get 500 MN :)

Stormy1
Not as on as much but still arou...
Send a message via AIM to Stormy1 Send a message via MSN to Stormy1 Send a message via Yahoo to Stormy1

Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Ah, I saw the new thing at the top and was like whatttt?

But now I'm super excited!! I've been waiting for SMS for a while now. :DD

I love you Menewsha!

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageling View Post
Oh dear... It's like Gaia all over again. It was the invention of Gaia Cash that turned it into what it is, and now it seems like Mene is following Gaia down that same dark path.
No, it's not.

What turned Gaia into what it is was the ABUSE of the cash system.
Please for all you haters out there, remember this.

ABUSE, not USE.

It's a perfect plausible, alternative way to donating.
Especially for younger people who have phones but no access to paypal.
There has already extensively been discussed the pros and cons of a cash shop.

Akstar
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM

I'm okay with the new currency as long as it doesn't turn itself into more than just to buy the CIs..I feel it might fall apart if it did more than just CIs.

EDIT:

However it is nice to see the pay via phone be used. However I can't use that either..le sigh, but nonetheless yay for another route for the future! :D

Last edited by Akstar; 09-08-2009 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

katyasha
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insert_Witty_Username View Post
Oh great. It's Gaia Cash all over again *le sigh*
I hear yeah!

FakeSunShine
Loveless Angels
Send a message via AIM to FakeSunShine

Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Insomniac thankn you very much haha i was quite worried about that i mean my rtents will still have a cow about the 5ish dollars on the bill but like shed kill me if it was 10 Xp

iiCyanide-x-Cookiesii
> w
Send a message via AIM to iiCyanide-x-Cookiesii

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
WE DON'T WANT TO BE GAIA! Mennies were an essential step to handle multiple currencies, and to make things a lot easier to deal with. Compare us like Myspace and Facebook. Myspace is full of spam and ads, Facebook has the users interests in mind and doesn't force anything down your throat more than they have to. Gaia is the Myspace in this situation ;)
I'm glad that we are now allowed to get Contribution Items without the use of a PayPal.
I will admit though, I was worried when I first saw Mennies.
Yet, from what I know of the people and admins of Mene...they wouldn't screw us over...
...my fear was quickly dismissed.
> w <

In this situation, you most certainly are Facebook.
> w <

Last edited by iiCyanide-x-Cookiesii; 11-08-2009 at 12:55 AM..

Risque
bing chilling

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 PM

BAWW THIS SITE IT IS TOO MUCH LIKE GAIA ONLINE BAWW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Random Randomness View Post
What turned Gaia into what it is was the ABUSE of the cash system.
Please for all you haters out there, remember this.

ABUSE, not USE.
This times one million. I already think the Menewshan Staff has stated time and time again that they're not going to just take advantage of us.

And I wonder why staff get defensive when Mene gets compared to Gaia.

Anywho, text donations are a neat idea, although my parents already flip out because of my current phone bill. But.. maybe when I have a good month I can donate. xD;

Akstar
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 PM

I think for now some of us(me included) are just not sure until the new currency has a bit of time to settle as I stated before are a little nervous about it, and yet very much understand on my end of it helps handle real money currency rates.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Aww, you guys have so little faith in us! Don't worry, we would never go crazy with pay-to-buy items.
The possibility of a cash shop was discussed at length in this thread.
Cash shop type items are a possibility for the future, but we don't want to make them so that you're pressured to buy them RIGHT NOW. They'd most likely be in the shops for a very long time. And we would never, ever let the quality of our common items slip! Ever.
But the fact of the matter is that Menewsha cannot run on air and love. It, just like your own household, needs money in order to function. And too many people confuse needing money with just being plain greedy.
We are not a greedy site. We never will be.
We do, however, need money to pay for servers so that the site isn't crashing. We need to pay coders so we can give you more pretty features. Don't you guys want a quick-running site with new features coming out? Then you've got to accept that we need money.
Please have some faith in us. Anything we do will be tasteful. We care about our users. Please do not confuse us for a site that doesn't.

Reverie
I ♥ you!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Good job getting this second currency (and SMS!) going, guys. :) I'm personally not worried about Menewsha 'becoming like Gaia' because I know that some of you know quite well the specific mistakes Gaia made with their Cash Shop (exclusive attention, for one).

To those of you worried about this change, try not to be. I'm positive that these guys know how to make the rise of Mennies different from that of Gaia Cash, and I'm sure they know enough of what not to do in order to avoid Mene from going down the same 'destructive' path Gaia Cash took. Just remember that they need a way to support the site somehow. If you end up liking an item that can be purchased with Mennies, buy it! You'll be supporting a great thing.

Now, a question I have - are you considering gift cards at all? There's a specific card I know that caters to hundreds of games. That said, it should be fairly easy for a lot of players to get their paws on. If you're looking into furthering who can buy stuff here, you've probably already considered the Ultimate Game Card. If not, do think about it. :)

Insomniac
Janitor
Administrator

Old 09-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akstar View Post
I think for now some of us(me included) are just not sure until the new currency has a bit of time to settle as I stated before are a little nervous about it, and yet very much understand on my end of it helps handle real money currency rates.
Totally understandable :) The staff here have spent months discussing the user of mennies and making sure we are as tasteful as possible, we've even been very open in the this thread http://www.menewsha.com/forum/main/s...cash-shop.html about getting user feedback. We love everyone here and only want to keep the users happy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
Now, a question I have - are you considering gift cards at all? There's a specific card I know that caters to hundreds of games. That said, it should be fairly easy for a lot of players to get their paws on. If you're looking into furthering who can buy stuff here, you've probably already considered the Ultimate Game Card. If not, do think about it. :)
I'd love to, however the site needs to grow a ton for us to move in that direction. Ultimate Game Card is handled by paybycash.com which as quoted on the signup page requires $50,000 per year of sales. http://www.paybycash.com/signup.php?js=true

I somehow doubt they would be happy to accept us if we only received a few thousand in gift card sales per year - I could be wrong though?