Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah, pretty much what Cora said.

Did jelly ever say why she/the powers that be wanted to make changes in the FM forum? Because if newbies are being assimilated into Menewshan culture what's the problem with the FM forum not being terribly active?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM

Maybe its to bridge the gap a little more.

Alot of new users, coming from other avatar sites are leery about posting because they are used to the norm on other sites (aka. new users are useless) I think they want to be welcoming to the new users and give them a place where they can feel like they can post and slowly get their feet wet.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-31-2010, 04:32 AM

The Fresh Meat rules will be changed, we've already backed off a great deal about multiple threads in there (as long as they're not repeats).

Angel, why did you react that way to that announcement? I know that a few people did get severely offended by that, but Inso was really unhappy with what he was seeing in FM, with people being given mechanical greetings and having the rules thrust at them without being asked. He's so aware that that first contact on a new forum is of such huge importance, and he was trying to stop people from scaring new users away, because if people feel intimidated by those who greet them then they really are put off sticking around, and we so desperately need new blood to help the site grow, as we're stagnating at the moment.

Vickyll3
Multi Media
Penpal

Old 08-31-2010, 05:41 AM

What about the new users that come but don't stay on mene, wouldn't that be a waste of time.
I like this idea and wish it happened when I first joined, but maybe have the new user have an active account or active poster.

Sorry if this don't make sense but I should be a sleep now instead of lurking.

SinJoy
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM

I think it'd also be nice to have hangouts in the Fresh Meat section. I joined not too long ago, and I was kind of shy about chatting in one of the 'big' hangouts. I think other newbs would feel more welcomed if Newbie Hangouts were allowed too :yes:

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM

I didn't give links to the rule stickies, but I think I have mentioned a few times when I was in the Fresh Meat forum that it is best to read the rules.

I wasn't so much offended as scared by that post.

You can only say "welcome to menewsha" so many ways and I did not want to be banned.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 09-09-2010, 09:48 AM

I think it's a great idea!! I was just thinking about creating a guide type of thing for the newbies ... Like a step by step process - Kind of a collaboration of various guides that we already have. But much more spiffeh! :P I had a similar thing set up when i did that referral contest awhile back, it helped out a lot of my friends when they were learning the ropes here. I will make it look very appealing & was thinking about linking various newbie charities that they could visit. But yeah that was just an idea ...

But anyhow, i do think that that is a good idea. ARK Charity isn't exactly a newbie only charity. But we'd love for newbies to swing by and chat & get donations etc.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM

That guide sounds like a really good idea, Roachi.

Again, I'm all for having a few newbie hangouts in the Fresh Meat section. I think it would help a lot and I'd be willing to put together one of those hangouts.

The Whitewolf Shaman
(◎_◎;)

Old 09-23-2010, 10:23 AM

Considering my charity is designed to all MEMBERS of Menewsha, I suppose it doesn't really apply to me. I tend to randomly search through Mene for a face and toss them the daily donation anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

On the other hand, I do wish there was a way the fresh meat forum wasn't just a junkyard for old threads to last 4-5 posts, before a new user leaves and just wastes up space.

In my opinion, and this may seem like more work than its worth, and could possibly cause more stress than it should, but here is my own personal design of the newbie forum layout.

I personally would set up the Newbie forum with a couple of stickies to help new users get a feel for how the site works, and instead of allowing new users to post their own threads there, make one sticky thread (sort of like the "avatar above you" sticky in Avatar Chat) dedicated to allowing new users to get comfortable on Mene. Perhaps a charity thread designed to welcome these new users. Something like the charity thread that offers out newbie clothes. Such a thread could have "once you've obtained this amount of posts, and gotten a feel for how the site works, you are rewarded" contests.

This sort of thread idea would both clean up the site, cleaning out the quickly abandoned threads, and allow new members to get a feel for how incredible the people here are, and generally figure out how the site works.

The thread host (And any other regulars who feel they'd like to) could help the new users, sort of like a teacher, in getting a feel for how to do other things, like posting their own threads, and answer any questions new users might have.

Last edited by The Whitewolf Shaman; 09-23-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Flink
FRINKZIRRA
Send a message via AIM to Flink Send a message via MSN to Flink Send a message via Yahoo to Flink

Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 AM

Actually, having the charities that cater to both newer and older users in the FM could be a good idea. It would give newer users a chance to meet the older users who come to those threads and therefore get them more accustomed to socializing on the site.

-3midnight3-
Send a message via MSN to -3midnight3-

Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 AM

I do like the fresh meat forum but I do think there should be like a newbie charity too. It be nice and easier to find those charities