Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 AM

Also known as The Adventures of Merlin, is a British Fantasy series based on the Arthurian legends, but with a difference.

The main character in this series is Merlin and the story focuses on the relationship between Merlin and Arthur. However in this series Merlin has to hide the fact that he practises magic, and instead of being older than Arthur Merlin is about the same age.

I've missed out on many episodes of the fourth season because my TV hasn't been working but I pretty much watched all of the first three seasons.

It's one of the few series I make time to watch.

Anyone else in Menewsha watch this series?

Codette
The One and Only

Penpal

Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 AM

I managed to catch the first couple episodes when it first came out, but not really much past that. I did, however, love the concept of the show.

NeuzaKC
Stan.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Aw, man... I loved that show! I didn't watch it from the first season, when I started watching Morgana was already in the story and the dragon had already been released... I feel sad that I didn't catch the beginning because I never understood the relationship between Merlin and the dragon. I do love the whole Merlin/Arthur relationship, they're so funny. XD

Now I feel the urge to find it online. Yay.

Miiyako
call me Spencer

Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I watched what I could, I think it was 3 seasons, I can't remember.

But yes, I love that show. I was actually thinking of watching it again. It's amazing, and I love the characters and how they interact. ^^

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM

I actually didn't watch it religiously until the second season started. However I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow the first season from the library.

From memory Morgana was in the series from the beginning, only she started out as a fairly kind and seemingly caring character, it wasn't until the third season that she changed and became corrupted.

I agree about the characters and the way the relationships have changed, Arthur and Merlin definitely have an interesting friendship. I like how sometimes Arthur comments that what Merlin says almost seems wise.

Miiyako
call me Spencer

Old 12-08-2011, 12:42 PM

I love their relationship.
Morgana's transformation made me sad, but at the same time, it was interesting to see unfold. Because she didn't suddenly turn. It was a neat character development.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-10-2011, 01:49 AM

I watched the first couple of episodes and got relatively confused. Not because the show itself didn't make sense, but because the legend was so much different to how I knew it previously. I kept going "Why isn't Morgana pure evil?" And more... "Why are Arthur and Merlin the same age?!"

Miiyako
call me Spencer

Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 AM

It IS confusing at first, but I actually liked it because it gave a different twist on the former legend. I didn't know there was an Uther Pendragon and that Arthur was a prince before watching the show.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Don't most people say that Uther is just another name for Arthur?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 12-13-2011, 04:39 AM

I think this particular series is VERY loosely based on the well known variations of the Arthurian legends.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uther was an alternative name for Arthur originally.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM

I was watching something on the history channel or some such, and it said that Uther meant bear, and some of the legends referred to Arthur as a bear, or at least, a bear-like warrior, so they assumed that legends referring to Uther were actually about Arthur. *Shrug* I used to obsess over those legends, so I may get into this show at some point. :)

Miiyako
call me Spencer

Old 12-13-2011, 08:21 PM

I didn't know that.
I read a wiki saying that there are variations of Arthur having a dad named Uther. I dunno though.