Gossy
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-07-2008, 12:12 AM

I like the Death spin-offs more than I like the original series but I adore Sandman.

Mr Bun
(-.-)zzZ

Old 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM

First off I'd say Death is my favorite character. I just think that if I want someone to meet me when I die and send me on my proper way I want someone as upbeat as her. Though i do love Cain and Abel for how well they get along. Nothing like brotherly love. ;-) But it is great how Neil revived so many old DC comic characters in his series. Cain and Abel, one of the three "heroic" sandman's and even included the first one at the beginning of the series. Include John Constantine, and John Dee from preludes and Nocturnes to that list. He is really good at digging up old characters and giving them a new life. Sorta like Morpheus did for Cain and Abel by bringing them to the dreaming

But I ramble. And I am now dying to read them again so I shall go and read some again.

Oh and Worlds End is the first one I ever read. I still love to read that one and Seasons of The Mist. That and Brief Lives. But that's only cause I like delirium too.

Did I say I was gonna go read them? Suppose I should see you later. ;-)

Dynamite
Dead Account Holder

Old 08-09-2008, 06:53 PM

I've read some of this series, though didn't get too very far. It is, unfortunately, a little difficult to come across some of the books, so I'm bound to buy them in volumes. Still, it's terribly interesting. I'd like to read more of it, if I could get my hands on it...

Dramatica Romanticide
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Ahhh I'm home :heart:
I'm a Gaiman junkie, seriously X3
And it all started with the Sandman!! *nods*
My favourite character is Delirium, followed by Death.
I'm not fond of Desire at all, or Despair simply cos i've had enoough of that in my life XP
(despair, not desire XD )
Anyway I don't own any of it unfortunately but I've read them all from my Lirbray.
I've also read one of the collected Sandman extra stories, can't remember the name of it.
And I've read Death: The High Cost of Living too.
The only Sandman story i really didn't like (in the original run) was the 24 Hour one.
Too grisly and not a satisfying ending , not really.

Brutal-Beauty
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM

Yes! I love this series. I just love Neil Gaiman. I read his normal books too. He has a collection of short stories based on Sandman. *hugs Dream* They do have the big, BIG $200 gorgous hardcover tome with all of the Sandman books in it. I want to ask for it for Christmas just because it would be so neat to own them all. I've even read the spin-offs with Death.

"The King is Dead, Long Live the King" I never knew what that meant until I read Sandman.

Quote:

Last edited by Jeryck; 12-13-2008 at 05:22 AM..

Liath
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Liath Send a message via MSN to Liath

Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM

I discovered that series recently. It's so awesome!
I dressed up as Death for Halloween.

Last edited by fiarra; 02-20-2009 at 05:43 AM..

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 12-11-2008, 02:52 AM

By Neil Gaiman, author of Ananszi Boys and American Gods. His stuff is so good! Sandman is a little dark. very dark. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a weak stomach, or a fragile mind. But they are SO good. So, anyone else even heard of them?

E-Ville
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to E-Ville

Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM

I'd like to read this series...
But isn't there another thread on this...?

Honestly, I've yet to read it. My friend keeps telling me to check it out, yet I can't find a first issue.

I mean, heh, I've got to start at the first one, right...? I always hear good things about both the series AND Neil Gaiman.

Last edited by Spring`Tyme Fresh; 12-16-2008 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Accidental double post due to thread merging

fiarra
seeking proof on the roof
Send a message via AIM to fiarra Send a message via MSN to fiarra

Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM

E-ville is right, this is another thread.

:) I've merged the 2 so we don't have a repeat.

bloodstainedwings
"avagasm"

Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ville View Post
Honestly, I've yet to read it. My friend keeps telling me to check it out, yet I can't find a first issue.

I mean, heh, I've got to start at the first one, right...? I always hear good things about both the series AND Neil Gaiman.

You actually don't have to start at the first one. I read the last one first and then went to the first one. They are worth buying, but even if you cant afford it, go to chapters and sit and read them for a few hours. If they don't have it, request it in, without paying for it. They will order it in, and you can still read it without paying for it. Also, try your library. That's where i found it, in my high school library of all places.

They are definitely worth the time to read, and if your quick you can get it all done in a week. It only took me a month to go through them and I was in school and I read very slowly. So really, definitely read it any way you can.

good luck finding them! ^.^

and fairywaif, I don't think that it is that dark at all. I mean there are some good lines by background people, and some people dying and the like. but in today's culture, an action flick isn't an action flick unless someone dies on screen. It is dark, but not sinister. Its no sin city.

Last edited by bloodstainedwings; 12-12-2008 at 03:56 PM..

Celestrya
A Celestial Sprite🌙

Old 01-10-2009, 06:51 PM

I love this series! I actually discovered it a few years ago, I bought the first one, and I was hooked. ^_^ I love Neil Gaiman...

Last edited by Celestrya; 01-11-2009 at 04:06 AM..

Dementes
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Dementes

Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 AM

it's as great series. delirium is my favourite, but death is pretty fantastic too

tirethminet
the leenie
Send a message via AIM to tirethminet

Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM

i wish the absolutes weren't so expensive. T_T
especially since my step dad has decided that my volumes (the first two) must stay in the general family bookcase instead of my bookcases because he wants to read them. ;_;
so there is an empty spot calling for gaiman comics in my bookcase. :<

Byaggha
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM

This was the first series to convince me comics were seriously valid as literature, and that you didn't always need to write about guys in tights to be a comic. It forced me to expand my horizons, and was worth every penny I spent on trying to collect it.

I adore the Endless. I really do. :3

Mint Car
*^_^*

Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM

I read any and all Neil Gaiman. That said I have obviously read Sandman and I love it.
It is one of only a few comics that I sought out to buy in book form. Most of the time I am content to read someone else's or just get the regular magazine version. Not with Sandman.

Aerys

Old 03-06-2009, 11:15 AM

i love it! death and dream are my favorites!

ShiroChaan
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via AIM to ShiroChaan

Old 03-23-2009, 03:20 AM

I haven't really read them yet, but my girlfriend has the tendency to read things and immediate start talking about them and spoiling them. Haha.

I love Neil Gaiman so I do plan on reading them and once I do I will come back and voice my opinion. :)

We plan on cosplaying Death and Dream to a convention, we just haven't decided which one.

Touch of Grey
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Ohmahlawd, yes! The Corinthian (both the serial killer version and the protector version) totally rock my socks. My favorite Endless is probably Delirium, or Death. No, definitely Death. The High Cost of Living was probably the best spin-off book, aside from the manga version of The Dead Boy Detectives. That was totally adorable. The best actual book though, in my opinion was the first book, Preludes and Nocturnes, closely followed by the fifth book, Dream Country. I loved the little details, like how Barbie painted a veil on her face at Wanda's funeral or how Wanda, a transsexual, is afraid of surgery, and how her birth name is Alvin Mann.

Sandman is really just an overall great series. Neil Gaiman does such spectacular work. He's currently doing a Metamorpho spot in the Wednesday Comics that DC puts out, this week it features Element Girl, Urania Blackwell. I wonder if he remembers that he killed her off back in "Facade", which was part of book five.

Selene_Felitze
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 AM

Gosh, I can even say that Neil Gaiman is a total genius! I love Sandman, from the beggining to the end of it, and all the spin offs I can read. I hope my guy bring me the ones he found some time ago, because I really want to read them!! I do adore Death too, she's lovable, and I'm making a nice cosplay of her!!

luvv star

Old 09-20-2009, 07:22 AM

ya i love the series

BonesTheHeretic
Now with pants!
Send a message via MSN to BonesTheHeretic

Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Yesyesyesyesyes!! I came into this forum for the sole purpose of seeing if sandman was in here. I love it! I had a bit of a freak out yesterday in my high school library when I when discovered they had one of the collections there.... scared my friends ^_^'

I'm not sure who my favourite is....probably death or delirium (just like everyone else). But my favourite story was the one with the cats. (dunno what is called) where the cat is traveling around telling this story to other cats about how they once ruled the world and if a thousand of them dream the same dream it will come true.

Quote:
The High Cost of Living was probably the best spin-off book, aside from the manga version of The Dead Boy Detectives.
Yeah I love The High Cost of Living. For some reason I own that and the other death book (Time of Your Life) but not the actual series. I also own the first volume of Lucifer, which is by a different author, but seems cool.

Never read the dead boy detectives, but I want to.

3vil Ducki3
Siren

Old 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I see mentioning of Death. By chance is it part of a series??

I'm relatively new the non-manga comic world so I'm not too knowledeable. I love Neil Gaiman as a writer so when I saw Death in the aisle, I read the intro, fell in love, and purchased it. I just now have to read the rest :]

BonesTheHeretic
Now with pants!
Send a message via MSN to BonesTheHeretic

Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Uhm, maybe I'm just being thick, but I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

Sorry, I'm a bit of an idiot...

Janviarius
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-07-2009, 04:08 AM

I love Neil Gaiman, but I haven't read any of his comic books yet, only his novels.
But I'm getting there! =P

Amaya Mori
The purple crayon of your life!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM

I just got done reading his Neverwhere novel. But I’m a bigger fan of Sandman than his novels though those are good too. It kills me inside that I’m a broke college student so I can’t afford the leather bound edition that are all 100 frickin dollars. By boyfriend doesn’t get the plot of sandman at all, it makes cry sometimes