BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2011, 07:12 PM

41. Teamwork

Someone asked him once. What kind of team were they? He and Carmella? Max had responded with a gruff laugh and a slight shake of the head, a testament to the hilarity of the question. "We're awful. It's worse pairing the two of us up than putting a wolf and a lioness in the same cage. Nobody needs two predators paired up; most of all the predators themselves." He'd said, before shaking his head again and stepping away from the man and the question. He had feelings for Carmella, and knowing that their relationship was only 'teammate' was only ever going to be 'teammate'... broke his heart. That night he tried to burn her out of him with the warmth of the liquor. Black out his mind with the drink. Force her out of his mind.

It didn't matter though. Drunk out his mind, raging away, burnt out and making his way down the body of another woman... it didn't matter. His only thought was that this wasn't his lioness. This woman didn't even hold a candle to her.

His lioness would be biting back.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Aww you're bored?

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM

LMFAO it's that obvious? Naw - I'm procrastinating my Astro HW, but I guess it's basically the same thing!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 AM

<3 you anyway.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-21-2011, 01:59 AM

ILU2

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I completed 63 and now I challenge you to 25: Trouble Lurking.

Enjoy!

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 PM

25. Trouble Lurking

It wasn't like he was psychic. After years in this business, and even more watching his Da... Max Kane knew what trouble looked like, felt it in his guts. His men knew when he said "I've got a bad feeling about this," it really meant, hit the dirt or haul ass shit's about to hit the fan. It had probably saved his life a dozen or more times. Saved Carmella's at least once, back in Rome when things got bad. So she should trust him right? Trust him that, this guy... he was trouble.

It was awkward, sitting across from her at lunch at a restaurant they frequented. The Kane's owned it a few tiers down in the organization so they were mostly left alone. And even if it was a fancy restaurant, the kind men saved up to take their girl's out too - - - Max could order pancakes for dinner if he wanted to. Being the boss totally owned. It was also good because they were in the private dining room, presumably so they could discuss business.

Carmella started in, "I've just gotten a message from my brothers, they have a job for ..." she started to say, while at the same time Max began to say, "Babe, you need to dump that guy, he's all ..." before he stopped too. Both parties stopped short. Staring at their partner in crime. Literally.

Carmella, as always, recovered first, "What's wrong with Thomas?" She asked evenly, anger edging her tone. Max was a constant interference in her life, always ready to jump in where he wasn't wanted. And yet, she thought, he hadn't said a single thing about her boyfriend since she started them and then it had only been a "I don't like him." Granted, she had calmed him up by means of he fist to his jaw, but that never stopped him long. If he hadn't said anything until now ... maybe this was something serious.

Max responded, "I don't know he just gives me the heebie jeebies."

...or it could also not be serious.

"you do realize that is not at all a valid for me to dump my handsome, charming, and accomplished lover." Carmella retorted, letting her words trail over the word l-o-v-e-r, knowing that Max would hate that. To his credit he didn't flinch. Visibly.

"Mel. Baby." He began, looking at her very seriously. "He gives me a bad feeling." He paused to lean back in his chair, taking the time to phrase it so she'd understand what he was saying. "Something's not right. A guy with you? He would know how lucky he was, he would protect you, care about you, treasure you." His voice was softening and he was revealing too much. He coughed slightly and forged ahead, "this guy, he seems to care but he doesn't actually. I can tell. He doesn't get between our fights, he just watches." Max decided to take the plunge, go for the final example that had pushed this man over into 'possible threat' territory.

"Do you remember in Quebec last weekend?" He asked, keeping a level voice though it was an emotional topic. They had both been traveling with a few friends and companions, including Thomas. And a bomb had gone off. His sister and one of Carmella's attendants had been injured, not seriously but still. Bombs...Bombs were still scary to both of them, still left memories of burning houses and crumbling stairs and Max's back, and Carmella's legs. Both still scarred.

"Of course." Carmella responded, remembering that a moment before the blast Max had looked at her, laughing, teasing. Thomas had been there too, idly holding his drink. When the bomb went off, he'd jumped out and away, rolling safely away. Carmella would have done the same, but she's been trapped under Max's weight when he jumped on her, wrapping his arm behind her head. Encasing her in his body. "You saved me when I didn't need it."

Max sighed, letting his head dip. "Any man, that doesn't do that. Doesn't jump toward the person he loves most in the room and try and protect 'em? They're a sketchball. No doubt." He said, dropping his voice in a way that indicated the conversation - was over. Carmella didn't let herself think about what Max meant by person he loved most, they were partners after all. In her own way, that she'd never say out loud, she loved him most too. But only like I retarded puppy that you kept around because you liked the way it limped. Yeah. Like that.

So the conversation dropped, and two weeks later when it turned out that Thomas was a mercenary spy, Carmella wasn't all that surprised. And Max wasn't surprised at all. And they totally kicked his ass.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 AM

LOL it's so BoothxBrennan-y!! <3

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 AM

lmfao. they just have that kind of relationship. god I love MaxMel! Why did we leave it for so long!??

...oh wait that was my fault.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 AM

xD No worries. I would have done the same anyway.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 PM

<3

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 03:35 AM

I'm gonna make mine a short one since I intend to sleep at 10pm.

I don't even know how to say that in Japanese anymore, haha.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-27-2011, 04:16 AM

OMG NO JOKE MY JAPANESE HAD DEGRADED SO INTENSELY IT'S DEPRESSING.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 04:22 AM

And it's only been what, one, two months?!

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Well, yeah... It's just. I can't even form a sentence anymore. I need to go back to Japanese I. :cry:

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-27-2011, 11:56 PM

ME TOO HOMIE! *high five*

Actually that's not so good, especially with YOUR major.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 AM

Yeah, well I switched to 'international studies' late last semester, so I can probably get away with it.

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 04:26 AM

xDD NIIIIIIIIICE!

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 04:49 PM

:heart:

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 PM

60's up. I challenge you to 17: Blood.

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 PM

OOOOOHHHH, I must think about that!!!

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 AM

LOL I keep picking all the depressing topics. xDD

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM

60. Blood

He hadn't wanted this to happen. He'd never even told her ... never even told her anything really.

That he wanted her to have his last name.

That he wanted to have the most beautiful French/Irish kids in all of Boston.

That ... all of his plans had her in them.

He hadn't told her any of this. And so Maxwell Kane was slumped against the concrete wall of a parking garage taking the last few shuddering breaths of what had been his life. His mad adventure of a life. And the blood was seeping through his white linen shirt, no matter how hard he pressed against the flow of red. His life was pooling in his hands and all he could think was. "I never told her."

An anonymous hit, a drive by. Something he'd never expected within his own territory. Brilliant in it's simplicity really, truly ballsy. Probably the Italians. It was the 14th right? Perfect, he'd be the second Valentine's day massacre. He began to cough and more crimson came bubbling up from his mouth and dribbling down his chin. His lungs must have been punctured.

There was so much blood everywhere, and he was never going to make it out of this dimly lit garage, not with a beating heart anyway. Max stopped trying to hold in it and let his hand drop his stomach, the blood lotus blossoming more quickly on his white shirt.

No time now, no time. His eyes were fluttering closed and his head lolling back. He was saying goodbye to the world it seemed, and he would never be able to tell her. Max grasped upon a thought and took it, letting his limp blood covered hand make unschooled lines on the dirty ground, "Babe," he managed before coughing overtook him and he had to pause.

"I" he added in an uncontrolled stroke, moving onto "lo-" before he was distracted by the screeching of tires and shouting. It was in the distance, but someone was calling his name. "v" he added. Didn't they see he was busy? He had something to finish, and then he was going to sleep for awhile.

Max was halfway through forming an "e" when Carmella spotted him in the far side of where they were currently searching, he was playing with the dirt or something, looking about ready to pass out from blood loss. "You idiot!" She yelled, running toward him while signaling the team to his location. When she reached him she dropped to her knees and ripped off her jacket pushing it against his gunshot wound. "Stay awake!" She ordered, frantic with concern and mixed emotions. She shouldn't care. She shouldn't care.

But she did.

Max looked up at her, his eyes hazy with confusion, reflecting a mind straddling two worlds, that of the living and the dead. And he grabbed her face with his hands and pulled her to him, and pressed his lips to hers in a rough gesture that knocked their heads together more than anything else. Carmella's face was now smeared with blood.

"I love you." He announced in a death wheeze, slumping against her chest.

Carmella thought that he had died, but slipped her fingers to his neck to check for a pulse. It was there, faint but there. "Get him to a hospital now! One of ours!" She added, commanding the Kane family like they were her own. In the scuffle of saving his life, removing him from the scene and hurrying away, Carmella never saw Max's first Valentine's to her.

Last edited by BlackCart29; 02-09-2011 at 01:50 AM..

Marguerite Blakeney
Kidnapped by Tumblr

Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM

Daaaaaaamn girl I nearly CRIED at that shit! Aww and I don't even have a Valentine, mine's all the way in another state ;_;

BlackCart29
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 AM

I'm glad you liked it! What valentine girl? Wifey?