Yes! ^_^ 9 69.23%
No. V_V 4 30.77%
I don't even know what that is... >_> 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM

So... Recently I've been searching for creative ways to decorate my apartment and came across a very interesting collection of embroidery hoops in Etsy. These got me super excited about doing a few of my own. Are there any other embroiderers out there who would like to join me to discuss art and techniques?

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Melody Send a message via MSN to Melody

Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 PM

This is something I've been trying to get into myself. Not that it isn't interesting, just that I don't have as much time to devote to it as I'd like.
I've picked up a few DIY books on the subject, I think I shall join you in this endeavor. I'm currently working on a silhouette piece of Elsa from Frozen...but I ran out of thread. xD

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Aw, that sounds really cute! I just got out and got some materials so I think I'll get started on something this weekend. Feel free to share any photos you might have! Maybe Cora: would like to join us as well?

Last edited by zigbigadorlube; 04-11-2014 at 08:21 PM..

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM

I'll certainly join the discussion, not sure on what I could show you of my embroidery though...its been awhile xP

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Aw, that's okay. I'm sure I'll end up having questions for you anyway. >.< I bought a big book on embroidery and some materials. I can't wait to get started!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 04-11-2014, 09:22 PM

ooooh that is very exciting!

Lexadis
(ο・㉨・&...
Penpal

Old 04-12-2014, 03:21 PM

I have embroidery hoop, thread, material, but I am not good t sewing I've tried it before, but when I start it starts getting tight, even when I'm using a hoop >_> I like to stick to cross stitching for this reason

Eastriel
(。☉౪ ⊙&...

Old 04-12-2014, 05:30 PM

I love embroidery, you dont need any books or anything to do it, you simply colour with string!

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-12-2014, 06:40 PM

xD I'd rather post pictures when it's done...but as I've yet to get more thread I guess it may be a while.

I liked the book for showing me how to do different stitches with it. Not that I've done more than one stitch at this point on my project. But I've used some of them for eyes on my daughters pokemon plushes she makes and their faces etc.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-12-2014, 10:46 PM

@ Melody: That sounds super cute!

@ Lex: I used to love cross stitching. I might end up doing a bit of that as well.

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-13-2014, 11:30 AM

I found some really helpful videos on youtube for hand embroidery, I can always try to find them again for you if you like!

I haven't tried it yet myself though. After seeing Frozen my sister wanted me to make her an Anna costume and said I should be Elsa, so that's the current project. The downside is I don't have an embroidery machine and I refuse to let someone else that has one do it for me so once I get the materials from my sister and her dress made up, I will be hand embroidering her dress. I'm making Elsa's blue dress and my sister wanted Anna's winter clothing.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 PM

Sounds like a big project but I'm sure you'll have fun with it. ^_^

For some reason I didn't really think of Youtube! I'll read through what my book says and if it isn't clear I'll look stuff up on there. Good thinking Duke!

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Duke- Wow. That does sound like quite the project! I hope you'll post pictures, because it sounds AMAZING!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-14-2014, 11:26 AM

I just washed my fabric yesterday and let it air dry. Not sure I'll have time to start working on it tonight but I'll iron and stretch it on my hoop soon so I can finally get started.

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM

I try to keep my Deviant Art updated with what I'm working on, though lately being busy at work, school starting up again, and a new video game coming out, yeah, my costume hasn't moved at all... Sadly I'm also still waiting on my sister to get me the fabric for Anna...

I can't wait to see what you decide to make Zig! Post lots of pictures!

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-15-2014, 02:46 PM

What video game?

I think at first I'm just going to do a practice one to try out some of the different stitches. Then I'll start making stuff for real. ^^;

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Elder Scrolls Online. I'm trying to keep it to a weekend game, but so far haven't been too successful with that... Luckily I want to play with my boyfriend (though he logs on when I can't >.>) so that keeps me from playing as much as I would alone XD

That's smart. Since I'm working on Elsa currently, I have to figure out where to place boning and eventually learn where to buy and how to use LEDs.

You know, embroidery could be a good activity to do before bed or watching tv; when you don't have time to do other time consuming activities. Well, now I want to go out and buy stuff to try it out XD

Hey, we all have to start somewhere! When I tried knitting for the first time, I'm pretty sure I just made one long chain because I didn't know what I was doing and was just having fun.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM

Ah, yeah, that seems like it would be a very time consuming game. My fiance wanted to play it too but I don't think he's gotten around to it yet.

Definitely! Or even in the subway if I can get a seat and not like poke myself when the train hits a bump. >.<

I did the same thing when I learned how to crochet. Just did a really long chain because I didn't know how to keep going after that. ^^;

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 05:18 PM

I easily get sucked into fantasy games... Make it a fantasy game that's super pretty and my boyfriend will play and I'll not only play all day, I'll start upgrading my computer stuff so the game looks even better -.- And to think, I was going to buy boning with my last pay check... That turned into a new monitor XD

Ooooh, you could always do that too! I used to do book binding in the car and I recall the needles weren't super sharp like your normal sewing needles, is that the same for embroidery?

I would still do that if I tried to crochet again now XD Someone I went to school with sells these cute little hats and even little stuffed animals she crochets. No idea how she does it.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 PM

I love fantasy RPGs. I've been mostly playing Pokemon X recently. I put it down for a long time and then finally picked it back up.

I actually haven't opened the package of needles I bought yet so I'm not sure. I'll have to check though.

I really never got much further than making a crocheted scarf and a snake. I'm really not that good at it. It's fun though and relaxing. I actually have a bunch of yarn and needles at home but I haven't gotten around to do anything with them yet. >.<

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-15-2014, 06:19 PM

I got X for Christmas and beat it a week later. I should play some more to get more Pokemon though... My sister ordered me Disney's Magical World, which is like a Disney version of animal crossing, just with a cafe and certain Disney movies. I just have to wait for it to get to my house...

When my dad came out for my birthday, he brought me a lot of the sewing stuff that was hidden somewhere in the house. This also included a bag jammed full of new embroidery thread. I had bought some myself, so now I have lots. It's what I use to make books as it's strong and I can use wax to coat them versus buying the expensive stuff. This is the thick craft style thread too, not the stuff made for machines.

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 AM

Oh wow, you're fast! I spend too much time talking to everyone and trying to catch all of the pokemon. >.<

I wish I could get some of my sewing stuff from my mom's house. I have a bunch of nice fabrics and other things there that I left the last time I visited because I didn't foresee doing any sewing in the near future. V_V

ISOS Duke
is a Special Pants

Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM

I'm pretty sure I was dead to the rest of the world after I got Pokemon. I talked to so many people in the game, but didn't do much else >.>

I should be sewing, or something other than playing video games at the very least. The game my sister got for me arrived yesterday. I foresee my productivity going out the window >.>

zigbigadorlube
[-_-]~

Assistant Administrator

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM

I played a bunch today on the subway and during my lunch break. I back tracked quite a bit so now hopefully I can start moving forward again. ^^;

I was thinking I should iron my first bit of fabric and put it on a hoop tonight. That way everything will be ready for me to start whenever I can.

Melody
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 AM

/still working on catching all the pokemon.

I ordered more thread, so I may be done with my project by this weekend...providing it gets in by then!