xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM

I am at South East Asia.
Not about anti Japanese. More about they don't recognize manga as art lesson worthy.

I am not sure which part hate Chinese... But decades ago, near 90s, Indonesia have an ourbreak fight against Chinese. NOW, the Chinese and locals seem to live harmonious than us. x.x

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 PM

My dad is like that with Chinese everything Shadami.... thinks everything made in China is somehow dangerous...

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM

Dangeous? XD
I am more concern about health safety though.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Yeah he says everything can cause lead poisoning... even the food

XxZombie.Mama.NephxX
Snakes & Crossbones

Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM

@ Shadami: This is very true, It's getting very rare to see any strictly traditional medium artist working in any field. I try and be as flexible as I can with my art. I enjoy both traditional and digital so I suppose it's easier for me. I can see how you'd need a degree as an art teacher in a school. Since it's kinda the place when that sort of indoctrination is made.

That sounds interesting, have you made your living room like a mini gallery? Or is it more that your work at home and go to art shows? I'm always shocked when someone says "This would have sold at" I feel bad putting more than $100 on any of my art. I'm not really sure why either. I guess because I feel like I'm still learning. XD

@ xuvrette: I don't like it much either, but in art it's a way to cross train your brain. If you study off real life your proportion and perspective will get better in which ever style you enjoy. I'm one from trying new styles. I enjoy realism, anime, comics, and Disney. So my own personal style has kind of become a merging of all those things. Also the rules are the same for cartoons and real life when it come to backgrounds and not neglecting your negative space.

A lot of paints used to use lead and other heavy chemicals. I've also heard that like 70% of lipsticks today still have high levels of them. Particularly dollar store brands. Enough about that, I read back and saw the whole "sleep with the teacher" thing. While it's important to get to know people in your field... sleeping with them doesn't work.

I think the best art teacher I ever had was in high school. She was one of those amazing teachers that was nice to student but still had their respect. She even let us call her by her first name. :) She got me in contact with a few people and helped me with my first 2 commissions in HIGH SCHOOL! She really gave me and all the student the time they needed.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-08-2013, 06:19 AM

I don't remember any good art teacher... x.x I am my own best art teacher.

I understand the importance of real life. So far I am observing real life ITEMS, and animals. I just can't bear looking at human. x.x

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 01:53 PM

I pretty much self-taught myself to draw anime/manga-styled drawings as well as sculpts/3D modeling. I never had an art class that taught how to draw or sculpt anime. The only real thing I have learned from art classes were things you'd use in realistic drawings, such as shading and "draw what you see, not what you think you see"(which does NOT work for anime characters).
I guess the most useful thing school taught me about anime drawing, is that eyes should be around the center of the head, and about an eye's width apart.

However, I never got really good with technical stuff like proportions until I started using Google to look for reference photos of the human body.

Well, now people say my stuff looks pro, so I would say I've been successful without much help from classes, besides anatomy/proportions. I think the majority of my skills came from careful observation, enjoying it as a hobby, and perhaps natural talent?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 PM

3D modelling?
aww~ what programme you are using?

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM

I thought they meant actual 3D modeling... not a program but I could be wrong...

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 PM

I use AC3D. I also have Maya since it is free for anyone with a student ID, but still use AC3D because it's more comfortable for me to control, and compatible with the programs I use.

I do also like clay modeling, but I don't do it often and lack the supplies.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-10-2013, 08:17 PM

AC3D? IS that shortform? it has a longer full name?
Maya~ I am interested in Maya too.
Only know 3D Max and Sketch up.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Oh so I was wrong... it is a program :D

I want to play with it...

Sketch-up wasn't very fun... the program was too simple for me...
(Also what is Maya?)

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM

I don't know actually, if AC3D is the original name or short form... XD
It's not free, but it's not as expensive as 3D Studio Max or other advanced 3D programs, and has a trial. I primarily use it because I make things for Second Life, and AC3d does what I need in order to comfortably create and export my models to the game.

Sketch-up.... I believe that's aimed more towards architecture, no? I never really tried it, but it seems like something that's more for building homes and straight geometric figures, as opposed to organic shapes like faces.

If you want something that can really be like clay-modeling, I hear zBrush is like that, and good for very detailed/organic models. I never tried it either, but my friend swears by it. I don't know if it's free or not.

I know Blender is completely free, but that program really pisses me off. I hate the controls of it, and the interface is so complicated and confusing. @_@

Maya you can get free if you have a student ID. It's one of the top 3D modeling programs, along with 3D Studio Max.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 08:44 PM

Yeah it's the program they use for Google Earth 3d Models.

Personally I do AutoCAD (A little) and CATIA V5 (Certified) and a little bit of FreeCAD.
Hmm blender is familiar... but I remember not liking it. downloaded 5 different free CAD programs and FreeCAD was the best.

How much was AC3D?

Do you still have to be a student? I graduated already...

Kouki
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM

AC3D was pleasant for me. It was familiar to me after having played with 3DS Max and Maya a bit. The interface is nowhere near as cluttered and complex as Blender. It's probably not as advanced/fancy as Maya or 3DS Max, though.
I'm also doomed to use Blender when it comes to animation rigging. xD; But I don't really do it much.

I believe my very first 3D program was a simple program called 3D Canvas. It was free and had an easy tutorial on how to make a whale.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 PM

My first 3D program was AutoCAD... then I went to CATIA and beautiful program... but if you're not taught... there are about 40+ workbenches with about 20-40 toolbars each

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 AM

Lol, yes, I am from Architecture course. XD I seldom do organic shapes.

I remember Blender... but I haven't heard of other names. O__O

StarWand
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM

I'm self-taught, simply because I like the satisfaction of knowing that I developed this talent of mine all on my own. However, I've been drawing my whole life and it's taken me my whole life to get me where I am today, so perhaps art lessons would be best if you want to learn faster, and I have nothing against art lessons; that's just me.