Lestat
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah so I decided to tinker around with my tablet and I'm in desperate need of practice with textures. I'm trying, trying to get it right, but I'm kinda stuck at this point. o.o

This is a work in progress of Jake Sully from the movie Avatar. I did use a reference picture, it's lying somewhere on my desk top but I mostly drew this practice with textures and trying to get my drawings more life like. I know the edges are sloppy in some areas but I'll clean that up at the end.

EDIT: I will be updating this image periodically since it is a work in progress.

Last edited by Lestat; 03-02-2010 at 08:17 PM..

Veiss Wynd
Character Modeler

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 PM

Good practice so far !

=] Lighting ~
On the face especially, it feels inconsistent. You can't really tell where its coming from either. It seems like it's somewhere in front of the face, but there's this big spot behind and under the jaw that has a really bright halo. A halo is alright when you want to portray light coming from behind, or reflected light emitting the back, but there you got it much too thick.
Lastly, that brings me to the hair. It feels thick and bristly - like wire?
You should start off painting hair with the darkest value you'll use - then apply the lighter values over it. Try to keep the strokes soft and let them fall into place naturally. Keep the curves on the hair in the braid more consistent.

Also, everything from the neck and under feels blurry. I understand if you want the edges in the skin design to look soft, but soft is one thing, and blurry is another o 3o That there is blurry ~
I do like that texture you used.

Lestat
*^_^*

Old 03-02-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks!

Yeah the lighting has been a little tricky. From what I can guess of the reference picture, it seems like there's two light sources, one on the front of the face and another coming from behind. So I'm still tinkering with the jawline and that second light source. I'm not sure if I should just eliminate the second one to clear the confusion.

Basically the neck and down is the most incomplete part of it so far. xD I've barely even gotten to touch on the neck and especially the shoulders since I've been focusing so much on the facial features. I'm thinking of using a similar texture throughout and it won't be as blurry when it's done.

The hair I'm struggling on. I understand what you're saying and I actually did lay down the darkest shade first, then went back with the lighter tones. I'm not sure if I should use a wider brush stroke with the softer tones. The Na'vi hair is a bit wiry and unruly but I don't want to over do it. o.o;