Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 AM

So now that we have DVRs, Netflix, Hulu, and... ahem... less legal internet means, it's really easy to watch a show whenever you want. You no longer have to wait for an episode to come on TV, you can watch whatever whenever. Which means one thing: MARATHONS.

I have to admit that I'm a serial marathoner. I'll discover a good show and then devote all my free time to watching it until I'm completely caught up. I watched all of How I Met Your Mother in... less than a month.

I've known other people, however, who chose to space it out (no matter how hard it was) to make it last longer. They'd only let themselves watch one new episode a week, similar to how it would have been if they were watching the show when it was new.

So how about you? Do you marathon? With the patience of a saint, you ration yourself one episode a week? What do you do when you decide to watch a show?

WingsDurus
(-.-)zzZ

Old 09-02-2012, 12:14 PM

I'm definitely a marathoner. I'm not really patient and I'm easily distracted. So even when I find a show I like on tv, when it comes on only once a week, by the next week I've forgotten about it or I've been distracted by something else. So marathons definitely work for me.

FireFish3

Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM

I'm a marathoner, though I wish I could space it out. I get sucked into the story and the world and I can't pull myself out as long as I have another episode to watch. I wish I could pace myself somewhat so I could get more chores and stuff done on my free time.

Mystic
(ο・㉨・&...

Old 09-02-2012, 05:55 PM

I rarely find something that I like but when I do, I'll sit there and watch the whole thing in as little time as possible then at the end want more if the series did not end. XD When I like something I get a bit too into it.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only marathoner. I do try to space the episodes out. I don't want the show to be over so soon and I know that when I marathon a show, I don't retain much and I end up forgetting half the stuff that happened. But the second the episode is over, I just don't know what to do with myself and I get this strong, strong urge to watch another episode. It's like an addiction!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 AM

I totally no sleep marathon it like a vegetable until I finish the entire thing...

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 AM

I do this! And then when I'm caught up, I sit at the computer and wait for updates. Because of where I live, we don't get things on tv until like... months after they air. -.- My way means I don't get spoilers.

M i n u x e
Jiggly Jell-o

Old 09-05-2012, 04:03 PM

I have always been a marathoner. I hate waiting for a new episode when it is a show I really like. I can just sit and watch a show the entire day!
When I marathon I show I become immersed in the environment of that show and feel more connected to the characters.
Also it is so much easier to keep track of what happened previously because you just finished watching that stuff. After a week of waiting it is hard to remember the minor details of what happened in the previous episode so you may not entirely get some stuff in the new episode.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-06-2012, 05:24 AM

Yes! I forget stuff so easily, it's stupid. The worst is the long gap between seasons. By the time the show comes back on, I'm lucky I even remember what the show's about. (Okay, exaggerating for comedic effect. But still.)

Nicole Legion
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 AM

I don't often marathon shows (because I really don't have time) but when I do, I truly speed through them.
I marathoned my way through most of Buffy the Vampire Slayer this spring and then over the summer I watched all of White Collar.
I have plans to take advantage of the presence of other great shows on Netflix in the future. Such as Sherlock (BBC version of course), Dr. Who, Teen Wolf, Alphas, probably others.... but I just started grad school, so I'm trying to avoid watching to many tv shows at the moment.

Elluh
(╯°□°)╯...

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 AM

I am extremely guilty of doing this. I watched most of Breaking Bad on Netflix, The Walking Dead, season 2 and 3 of Glee.
Honestly, there's really no need for cable when you have netflix except for the new episodes but you can always find them online streaming. And even then, I'm a lazy forgetful bum, so I tend to not watch new episodes till the season is over then I watch the whole season.

spunky
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM

This basically describes me when I find an addicting romance Korean drama. I can not stop clicking "Watch Next Episode #__" rofl

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-28-2012, 03:09 AM

Haha, a friend of mine is watching To the Beautiful You. Those dramas must be very addicting, she won't shut up about it.

Draciolus
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 AM

I've watched many a series in no time flat...even the ones I have on DVD(like all the three Robotech series; Macross, Masters, and Invid Invasion. Which span the better part of 80 episodes total...took two days to watch it all). Or I can get a new Anime(case in point Heroic Age, watched it in an afternoon). If I had all the Dr. Who, I would probably watch them all on a Sunday...and then sleep for a day. xD

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM

All of the doctor who, in one day? I think that there's more than 24 hours of that!

Kiba_Ryuun
⊙ω⊙

Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 AM

I marathon tv series. Arrested Development practically stole an entire summer from me back then XD But when it comes to cartoons or anime, I watch it with my friend's family (her mom loves anime, funnily enough), who pace themselves and even have a made-up timeslot, as if they were actually watching it as it came on the tv schedule. The only time they broke their "up to two episodes a day only" rule was for Code Geass R2 because wow, cliffhangers for EVERY EPISODE!

Claudia
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 09-30-2012, 05:43 AM

I have times where I do the "marathon" type watching. I used to do this with books a lot. I'd just read a book nearly non stop until I was done.

Kin-Akari
Pheonix Lover

Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 AM

*laughin* Considering that I am still watching Law and Order SVU after a month . . . Ten years worth of a show takes a long time! But yeah, I tend to marathon because I have little patience. It's also that I get comfortable with a show so I don't want to watch anything else.