Aetera
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 08:36 PM

This thread is for discussing the greatest musical ever. Sweeney Todd! Stephen Sondheim is a genius. Who has seen it? What did you think? What are your favorite songs from it?

Also, as some of you may know, there is a Sweeney Todd film coming out this Christmas! It is being directed by the wonderful Tim Burton, and Johnny Depp is playing Sweeney! Helena Bonham Carter is playing Ms. Lovett, Alan Rickman is playing Judge Turpin, Timothy Spall(Wormtail in Harry Potter) is playing Beadle Bamford, and Sacha Baron Cohen(Borat) is playing Pirelli! The cast makes me happy. <3 Also, Anthony Stewart Head(Giles on Buffy) is in it as a ballad ghost! n_n <3

Click here to watch the trailer!

Plot summary, for those of you that are curious. It will obviously contain spoilers, so I've written it in white font. Highlight at your own risk. ^^ Also, this is the plot of the play that the film is based off of, so naturally some things may be changed in the film.

HERE THERE BE SPOILERS. ARR.

Sweeney Todd is the story of a barber that is sent away in exile on a false charge by the evil Judge Turpin and his Beadle so that they can rape Sweeney's wife, who they both lust after. The Judge then takes custody of Sweeney's year old daughter, who is left without a mother to care for her. Fifteen years later, Sweeney returns to London with the help of a sailor named Anthony.

Ms. Lovett, who owns the meat pie shop directly underneath what used to be Sweeney's barbershop and has harbored a crush on him for years, tells him of what happened in his absence, and Sweeney swears revenge. She also informs him that the Judge is now lusting over his now 16 year old ward, Sweeney's daughter Joanna. In his madness over revenge and loss, Sweeney decides that "they all deserve to die" and that until he can get the judge, he'll practice on "less honorable throats". When people come in for a shave, he slices their throat with his razor, giving them "the closest shave they will ever know."

Ever practical, Ms. Lovett, who previously sang of having "the worst pies in London", due in no small part to the scarcity of meat, thinks of a brilliant way to help Sweeney and to bolster her own business. She uses the remains of Sweeney's victims as filling for her meat pies, which she sells to the unsuspecting London public to great success. Thus the two form a very efficient, macabre partnership.

Anthony, the sailor, falls in love with Joanna, Sweeney's daughter, unaware of who she is. Joanna doesn't know who her father is. The judge attempts to get his hands on Joanna, and Sweeney works his way through the necks of London, while Ms. Lovett proves the idea in a literal fashion that "it's man devouring man out there."

I'll leave the ending up to you to discover for yourself. It's brilliant, and it would be a crime to spoil it. *grins*

END OF SPOILERS.

Michelle
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-12-2007, 08:44 PM

I heard about it a few weeks ago, but when I looked it up online I couldn't for the life of me find a trailer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I wasn't aware it was going to be a musical either. I'm going to go check out the trailer.

[edit]OMG it's Marla Singer!

V!rtual Insanity
*^_^*

Old 10-13-2007, 12:57 AM

I want to see this so bad, cause I love Johnny Depp. But I probably won't be able to, since it sounds like it'll scare me to death. u.u

Apple Sauce
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Apple Sauce Send a message via Yahoo to Apple Sauce

Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 AM

I can't wait to hear Johnny Depp Sing. XDD

He's cute.
He's a great actor.

Bet he sucks at singing!!

I'm just kidding =D I love him <3333

Shrimp_Man
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Shrimp_Man Send a message via Yahoo to Shrimp_Man

Old 10-13-2007, 05:01 AM

I love Sweeney Todd and I can't wait to see the movie. I've got the original cast album and the dvd and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Alan Rickman so I can't wait to see him as Judge Turpin.

Edit: OMG! I'M IN LOVE!!! I want to hear Alan sing though, but I loved hearing Johnny sing!

Nightgaunt
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to Nightgaunt Send a message via MSN to Nightgaunt

Old 10-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Ahha! I knew I'd heard the name "Sweeney Todd" before, I saw it on a movie poster the other day and couldn't place where I'd heard it to save my life.

Having Tim Burton direct gives me pause, but thats because I'm one of those bizzare people who actually found "Corpse Bride" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" kind of disappointing. Cool though! I'm glad to have a better idea what it's about!

Reki
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-13-2007, 08:01 PM

i saw the trailer!!! it looks awesome i want to see it sooooo badly, a morbid musical now there's something. but ti's rated R and it wasn't up until i heard from you there's canniblism in it o.O but i still want to see it especially since it's a musical, i love musicals and I love Tim's Burton twisted mind the two worlds combine? i want to see it so bad

Kiralisha
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-14-2007, 03:43 AM

So excited. What could possibly be better than a Burton film starring Johnny Depp and featuring a lil' cannibalism? I just hope Depp's singing is still as good as it was in the movie Crybaby (he is honestly the only reedeeming feature it that entire film). I hope they did a good job making the musicl into a movie.

I'm going to be such a squealing fangirl when I go to see it *squeal*

Fetus Cakes
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Fetus Cakes Send a message via MSN to Fetus Cakes Send a message via Yahoo to Fetus Cakes

Old 10-14-2007, 05:00 AM

I am very much looking forward to that film.

Erica
*^_^*

Old 10-14-2007, 01:10 PM

OMG.

-dies-
I am obsessed with Sweeney Todd-- I sweaur. AND NOW JOHNNY DEPP IS GONNA BE HIM.

-runs around-

darkvineyard
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to darkvineyard

Old 10-15-2007, 02:29 AM

Ohmigosh, I can't freaking wait for this movie to come out! It has two of my favorite actors ever -- Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman!! >< hahaha *big grin*

Shrimp_Man
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via MSN to Shrimp_Man Send a message via Yahoo to Shrimp_Man

Old 10-15-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiralisha
So excited. What could possibly be better than a Burton film starring Johnny Depp and featuring a lil' cannibalism? I just hope Depp's singing is still as good as it was in the movie Crybaby (he is honestly the only reedeeming feature it that entire film). I hope they did a good job making the musicl into a movie.

I'm going to be such a squealing fangirl when I go to see it *squeal*
Except for the fact that Johnny was dubbed over for the singing in that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDb
James Intveld ... Wade 'Cry-Baby' Walker (singing voice) (uncredited)

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 AM

I. AM. PSYCHED.

Words just can't describe how excited I am to see this movie.
It combines everything I love in this world:
Musicals
live-action Tim Burton
and Alan Rickman.

I'm going to try to get into town on opening night to see it. I can only hope the the movie actually comes to my town, but I'll con someone into driving me into the city if I have to.

`Litty
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 AM

• I really can't wait to see this movie. I know the story, but never watched / read the play :oops:
    But I love Tim Burton's work and of course love Johnny Depp, he plays the most interesting characters.

Solitare
Dead Account Holder

Old 10-15-2007, 03:40 AM

The only thing I know about Sweeney Todd is from watching "Jersey Girl".

Miss Cassandra
Send a message via AIM to Miss Cassandra

Old 10-15-2007, 04:41 AM

=3= Too many people are of the opinion, "OMG JOHNNY DEPP IS HOTT I CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM SING!"

...I will be happy to agree that yes, Johnny Depp is a gorgeous man. And I also cannot wait to see his performance in this movie. He's an amazing character actor.

But please, let's see some more love for Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, and Timothy Spall!

All in all, I'm expecting this to be one of the best movies of the year. It comes out the day after my little brother's birthday, so I'll go see it.. to celebrate.. xD "Happy birthday! Your present from me is a happy me that's just seen Sweeney Todd!" ...or something.

frisbee
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 AM

Sweeney Todd is such a great musical.
I was suprised when I heard they were making it a movie.
But I'm glad and excited for it to come out. :]

darkvineyard
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to darkvineyard

Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp_Man
Except for the fact that Johnny was dubbed over for the singing in that movie.
:shock: Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cassandra
=3= Too many people are of the opinion, "OMG JOHNNY DEPP IS HOTT I CANT WAIT TO SEE HIM SING!"
That is SO not me! I hate it when people are like that! D<
I genuinely appreciate his amazing talent for acting! And if anyone doubts that, then fine. But he is so freaking awesome! He's so smart, and he has come up with a lot of things that have been put in the movies -- his ideas! I want to shake this man's hand.

I've never seen the musical. I kind of want to now. *grin*

Akstar
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 AM

I saw the trailer on someone else's computer and this movie looks funny and rather disturbing at the same time, what still had me was Depp and Rickmen(or man?) in the same film, I don't recall the two being together before in a movie. Also it looks like everybody went into the Edward Scissorhands makeup kit..lol

Mage
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM

Sweeney Todd!

My school did a musical of it last year. It was really good, even though my friend did ruin the ending for me. The music is awesome, I ended up downloading a lot of the songs.

...uh, but why is the movie coming out during Christmas? That's kind of disturbing. ;>.>

Good L!fe
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Good L!fe

Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

When my english & history teacher showed the whole entire class the musical last year ago everybody was hooked. For the whole year the class at random times would say City on fire. It was so funny. Now that making the are making this everybody in class wanted to go on a field trip to see it.

I can't wait!
:D

DreamEmpress
*^_^*

Old 10-17-2007, 10:51 PM

It looks like it is going to be a good adaptation of it. Funny thing is I could not for the life of me understand were I heard the name from but then I remembered there being a musical about it. I was like during the time I saw the trailer, "I heard this before" and know my doubts have been answered. Johnny Depp and Helen Boham Carter make a great team... Both great actors and both have a very interesting style. :) Much love for them both.

Rurrik
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Actually i want to see this one, and i hate musicals and things like that....but a killer barber guy just seems awesome.

Asahi Kumoru
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Asahi Kumoru Send a message via MSN to Asahi Kumoru

Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 AM

*revives thread* Now that the movie's out....

I saw it this afternoon, and I gotta say it was great XD Like I mentioned in the Last Move You Saw thread, I was also really impressed with Ed Sanders as Toby.

I'd like to see the original musical, too. I haven't really seen a lot of the musicals that have been getting made into movies lately. Seems like the new trend, along with comic book movies. The ones I've seen, "Sweeny Todd" included, have been pretty impressive to me, at least XD

clock
tick tock

Old 12-22-2007, 06:06 AM

My sister is a huge Johnny Depp fan. *-* She has like almost
all of his movies. I'll probably go see it, even though I'm not
a fan of musicals. ;0 He's a good actor but too many
girls are like "ZOMG HE"S THE BEST LOL!1"