Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 AM

Anyone here knows how to make the usual perfect white rice that Japanese/Chinese people make, with no flavoring involved? (well, perhaps a tiny bit of salt).
I tried to find on the internet a recipe but there are countless recipes and I don't know which one is the one i'm searching for.
I always tried to make white rice but it never turned out as it was supposed to be.
As I understood, making rice is pretty tricky and you must do everything perfectly all the way. A tiny mistake can ruin it.

So, if there is someone who is a real Japanese in here, you would be really helpful!

Thank you! (:

Last edited by Mogwai; 01-14-2014 at 10:29 AM..

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-14-2014, 11:48 AM

I've grown up eating cooked rice most dinners of my life...if you plan to eat cooked rice on a regular or even occasional basis, a rice cooker is worthwhile getting. It makes the task of cooking rice a lot easier than cooking with a pot over a stovetop.

I use a rice cooker most of the time myself but with each bag of rice the first time cooking is an experiment to find out the soft/hardness of the cooked rice.

So what I do for the first time is put the exact amount of cups of rice (according the the cup that comes with the rice cooker, because the cups vary in size slightly) and then put the exact corresponding amount of water, according to the measurements on the inside of the bowl that the rice cooks in, within the rice cooker. If the resulting rice is hard then you adjust by adding more water the next time, if the rice is too soft/mushy then add less water the next time.

If you really don't want to get a rice cooker, or can't get one, I've heard that if you're cooking it in a pot on a stovetop, in terms of rice to water ratio...it is a level layer of rice in the pot, however much you need, and the water is enough to cover the rice up until the level of water is twice that of the rice in the pot. And in terms of method, you put the right amount of rice and water in the pot, boil and then slow simmer with the lid mostly covering the pot until you're left with cooked rice with no excess water. It is a slow process and the resulting rice is not as good as that from a rice cooker when used right. Also, there tends to be a layer of burnt rice on the bottom of the pot.

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Thank you! You helped me alot! I actually thought about the rice cooker, but before buying it I thought I'd try to see what other people that are more experienced with rice than I am can say about cooking rice..

I want to eat rice regularly, because i'm fed up with pasta and bread. I'll begin studying daily this year (hopefully), so I thought about preparing rice as my lunch meal (with veggies and fruit of course) instead of a sandwich.

Are there any other suggestions from others? I'd appreciate it (:

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 AM

I am terrible at cooking rice, so I use instant rice.
It comes out nice.
The times I do end up making perfect, regular rice, it takes forever.
I would love to have some sticky rice, though...

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 PM

I bought yesterday a rice cooker! That's what i'll be trying to eat mostly from now on. Pure white rice. ^^

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Let us know how your rice turns out with the rice cooker!

Mogwai
⊙ω⊙

Old 01-25-2014, 09:09 PM

On my first time the rice turned out a little bit hard. Next time i'll try to add a little bit more water, just as you suggested! ^^

Last edited by Seridano; 11-01-2014 at 03:13 AM..

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 05-21-2014, 05:02 AM

Rice cookers are a dream!

Back in the dark ages, when I first learned to cook and rice cookers were difficult to find in stores (at least around here) I used to bake rice to make sure it was perfect without having to hover over it. You use the same proportions of liquid and the same cooking time, but put it in a casserole dish at 350 degrees instead.

salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 AM

Yup, rice cookers are the way to go! Depending on what kind of rice you are cooking, try to use about the same amount of water as rice and follow the instructions! ^_^