Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-07-2017, 08:34 PM

Oh my.. that is intimidating

I'd break it up with other series! That way as you finish other series you feel like you're progressing vs watching the same thing repeatedly and feeling like you're getting nowhere - I've been backed up on regular TV and 10-13 1-hour episodes per show is do daunting - I've been mixing it up and I'm now down to like 3-4 episodes on several!!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Oh nice. Though even with mixing I have such limited time.
I am around 200 or so though so.... progress...?

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-07-2017, 10:19 PM

True - it does limit how many episodes of each you get through by splitting it up so in the end it does kinda take longer :(

That's not too bad at all!! 1/4 ish done yeah?
Definitely a good chunk watched for sure :3

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2017, 12:13 AM

Definitely a chunk. But they want to marathon 10+ episodes (5 hours) a day not happening.
I have gone to other animes periodically but they either seem to get discontinued indefinitely or aren't being updated very fast.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-08-2017, 12:38 AM

Bwahaha omg yeah that's a lot at once!! On one hand, understandable because there's so many. On the other hand, if you have a full time day (or night) job, that's not leaving much time for sleep lol

One thing I'm kind of loving about working at a college - I get summer off to catch up on TV from the last semester - I haven't watched anime in so long - soooo much has come out! I'm looking at it all and I'm just like "Can my queue get any longer?!" LOL

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2017, 12:43 AM

Definitely not leaving much time for sleep
Part that blows my mind is that they rewatched the entire series.

I've gotten really picky with what I watch because so much anime is just bleeding out into the world, so my "animes to watch" is very small.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-08-2017, 01:10 AM

Wait... what?! Your SO has already watched it, re-watched it, and is now re-watching it again with you?! Now that's dedication
And here I thought it was crazy to be rewatching Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, and Inuyasha from the beginning lol!

There really is so much - I usually try to keep it to 3 maybe 4 currently airing anime, and then while I wait for episodes to air I watch already fully released anime :3 Right now I'm just doing one show at a time while my vision is getting back to normal - I fell down the stairs and hit my head on the car so I've been a bit out of commission since like, Mother's Day xD; Not really in the mood to read subtitles!!

Last edited by Emma Corrin; 06-08-2017 at 01:13 AM..

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2017, 04:14 AM

Yes, it's probably their favorite anime but their watching ability is inhuman.

Ah subtitles... I've tried learning the language to not need them as much anymore but there's a lot of words I still don't know.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Lol that's for sure!

I know some words and phrases, but not enough to not need subtitles - I tried taking an intro class in college but most of the class already had knowledge of the language or their first language was a similar language (like Chinese) so they went at a CRAZY fast pace - like 2 weeks in and we were moved on from the first writing system to a second writing system, and we barely learned simple words like hello, goodbye, that over there, that over here, etc. before she moved ahead to where the text is written only in Japanese lol

I ended up dropping the course because it was being used as a refresher course instead of as an intro to the language course for people who had never learned it :3
I've never attempted since - I'm better of reading subtitles and picking it up that way xD;
I do know enough now though that when they translate something wrong, I'm like No.

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM

Oh yeah that's.... pretty much the pace they go. I had to take it twice and was a d student the first time and an a student the second time XD

Oh the bad translations... sometimes you don't even need to know the language for some of those.

But with nobody to practice with I'm super rusty and I miss learning it.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-09-2017, 06:44 PM

To be honest that was my first experience with that kind of a pace for an intro to foreign language class - I've never had that experience before/since! It was so not expected lol! Especially since it was described as a super intro course for people with no experience at all to learn the basics and get their feet wet before moving on to the upper classes lol

Very true lol I mean, some translators are pretty spot on, but then you run into sites/translators that I swear just make stuff up because they don't know what's supposed to be said xD;
I mainly pick it up when they're saying words I clearly know the meaning of, but instead of having that in the translation there are completely different words xD;

I feel like that with Spanish - I took 5 years of it and spoke it pretty fluently - it's been nearly 8 years since I've really used it though so it's broken at best - it's hard when you don't use it every day :/

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-09-2017, 07:24 PM

I think it's a Japanese thing.
The upper classes would not permit any English at all.

I remember one translator actually wrote "I have no idea what he's saying"...

So true I'd love to use this language every day but nobody to speak it with

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-09-2017, 11:07 PM

That could be - could stem from the culture differences :3
She was a very nice woman, I just couldn't keep up right out of the gate!

Bwahaha omg - I would die if I saw that!

That's one thing I dislike about learning foreign languages - unless you have someone to speak it with you end up losing what you learn :(

---------- Post added 06-09-2017 at 09:33 PM ----------

Just finished SAO! I loved it and the ending was perfect! <3
Switching gears now though and watching Magi: The Adventure of Sinbad

I haven't watched the other 2 Magi's yet, but this one is listed as the prequel so I figure I might as well watch them in order since I can lol!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-10-2017, 01:52 PM

Perhaps. They are a lot stricter on learning I think.

Sinbad was pretty good. Not sure if it's a sequel as it came out after but I don't think it has any spoilers of magi.

There's a second magi? Interesting I've been waiting for more I hope that means they continued it.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-10-2017, 06:47 PM

That's what I was thinking :3

Nope not a sequel! It's a prequel showing his life story and how he got to where the original series starts - basically a big background season :3 I double check everything on MyAnimeList lol! It's so handy - I log all of my anime and manga that way - then I use another sister site for RL Drama shows <3

Yes! There's Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, and then there's Magi: The Kingdom of Magic :3 Then there's a set of OVAs, but comments on MAL show that they're redone as Episodes 2-6 of the new prequel I'm watching :3

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-10-2017, 07:35 PM

Er yeah prequel. I mean timewise I did occurs first but that's all I can think of for why it's a prequel. Maybe 20 years before magi.

Interesting maybe I watched it but didn't know... ill have to check with my anime drill sgt.

Edit - she says Sinbad has spoilers. Might wanna watch it last.

Last edited by The Wandering Poet; 06-10-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-10-2017, 11:41 PM

Could be! MAL says it came out the following year I think :3

Bwahaha well darn! I'm already halfway through it!! So much for not being a huge impact on the main series lol I wonder why it got labeled as a prequel then? MAL is usually so good to me

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-11-2017, 03:02 AM

I think it should make the story different than what I saw at least. But it's still amazing.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-11-2017, 03:24 AM

I'm sure I'll still love it though - I'm really enjoying this series so I can only imagine it'll just make me like the other 2 more!

It does potentially put another series in perspective - I'm absolutely blanking on the series - I want to say Honda-kun and the other one starts with a B... anyways there's a prequel that was made after the original that gives a backstory on the main character - I'm wondering if I shouldn't watch the original first then instead of watching the prequel first like I did here - since in this case it could skew how I interpret the original, I'm thinking the same thing might happen with the other 2

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Oh, Sinbad is definitely better... but that's because Sinbad is awesome XD

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-11-2017, 02:15 PM

Bwahaha that he is!

Figured it out lol! Handa-kun and Barakamon! Handa-kun is the prequel that came out later :3

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-11-2017, 02:31 PM

I'm not sure what specific spoilers it is, but I think it tells you more about one of the kingdoms than you are supposed to know.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM

Ohh gotcha - that's not too bad then to be honest :3
I only have 3 episodes left and I haven't seen any huge WHOA moments so I'll probably have a realization during the regular series but it shouldn't be too bad I don't think :3

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 PM

Well, it will be a while before that woah moment. But there is one moment that I think will be a lot funnier now that you know certain details.

Emma Corrin
Li Mei's Ninja Knight

Old 06-12-2017, 02:12 AM

That's not a bad thing!! :D

Omg... they're eating snakes.... I can't deal omg. Snakes and spiders... I just... I can't.. I'm like Ron Weasley - Can't we just follow the butterflies?!