star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 08-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iltu View Post
I've only read one Mercedes Lackey book (Arrows of the Queen) but I have been meaning to read more!! I really enjoyed it, though it was several years ago that I read it.
it's a good series and the music that's out for it is just breath taking 'nods'

of course right now im listening to 'Joan' by Heather Dale, its one of my favorite songs because it's just so.. so AWESOME..

Last edited by star2000shadow; 08-31-2015 at 01:22 PM..

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:24 PM

Can't even. Favorites are too hard. I just love everything I've read.

Iltu
do you think pigeons have feelin...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:28 PM

Star- That song is SO awesome! Ugh, I'm trying to pick my favorite Heather Dale songs now and it's too hard... I'm a sucker for Kingsword, The Trial of Lancelot, and Mordred's Lullaby because I love Arthurian legends, but there's so many other good ones! I really love Smith's Circle, The Greyhound, Flowers of Bermuda and One of Us, too.

Amane- I feel that... my 'favorites' shelf is two overflowing shelves...

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:35 PM

I don't even have a favorites shelf. Just a bookshelf all to myself, and it was full right away.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 08-31-2015, 01:38 PM

Title: The Book of Lies
Author: James Moloney
Genre: YA Fantasy
Plot: A boy who has had his memories altered with the book of lies, pieces together the truth of who he and his companions are.
Why You Love it: It kept me guessing who was good and who was bad throughout reading it.

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:40 PM

Some people are so critical I wonder how they ever enjoy anything.

Iltu

Old 08-31-2015, 01:46 PM

Amane- I have five bookshelves, one at my dad's, two at my mom's and two that were in my apartment but are now in my dad's garage. Needless to say... my books are a scattered wreck right now. Most of my favorites are safe at my mom's, at least.

I sometimes wonder that about myself, since I can be pretty critical... but then I meet people who are way worse, and I'm like, "...nvm im fine"

Ling- Thanks for the reccomendation, that sounds really good! I'll have to see if the library has it. I'll get that up on the front page as soon as I'm on my laptop later today!

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to star2000shadow Send a message via MSN to star2000shadow

Old 08-31-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Star- That song is SO awesome! Ugh, I'm trying to pick my favorite Heather Dale songs now and it's too hard... I'm a sucker for Kingsword, The Trial of Lancelot, and Mordred's Lullaby because I love Arthurian legends, but there's so many other good ones! I really love Smith's Circle, The Greyhound, Flowers of Bermuda and One of Us, too.

Amane- I feel that... my 'favorites' shelf is two overflowing shelves...
..you just listed more of my favorites.. oh oh and um the chesheir cat.. oh wait that's a different artist hang on i'll share...

Cheshire Kitten (We're all Mad Here) by S.J. Tucker

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:49 PM

I have boxes of books that aren't easily accessible.

Iltu

Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 PM

Star- I ALSO LIKE S.J. TUCKER! I don't know that song though. I'll give it a listen!

Anyway, I think I'm out for a bit... gonna play Dragon Age for a bit, then pick up my mom's dogs. See y'all later!

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM

I just remembered I only need one more book before I can start reading a trilogy.
/I believe it is not out yet
/if it is, I'll find out closer to Christmas

star2000shadow
☽⚝☾

Penpal

Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amane View Post
I just remembered I only need one more book before I can start reading a trilogy.
/I believe it is not out yet
/if it is, I'll find out closer to Christmas
what trilogy, i have a couple books im waiting for december to get to..one for mercedes lackey and one for..'frown'..Rob Thurman.. there we go..

Amane
(ღ˘⌣˘ư...

Old 08-31-2015, 06:30 PM

Erm… it's called… Teardrop?

SuperZombiePotatoe
Spudd

Penpal

Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Amane- That's okay! Tell me some of your favorite other things!

SZP- I knooow! I love those two! I even named my Dragon Age: Origins character Garlan.
Haha, what a good nickname! Yeah, the Blackshear is my one hope now. ;a;
I worry for Myrcella and Tommen too... Maggy the Frog's predictions didn't look good. :x And I adore them both!
I'm with ya! That would be a darn fine three headed dragon.
What I really want to see happen by the end is for Lady Stoneheart, Sansa and Arya to all cross paths... how about you, any burning desires for things you want to happen?

Clock- Yay, welcome! Please tell us all about these books! Maybe I've read some! :D
I kinda ship Sansa and Willas. I feel so sorry for her, she's always ending up with the creeps. Willas seemed like an actual nice guy. Garlan was an actual nice guy. They're gonna regret leaving those characters out, though. Oh, Strong Belwas!
I has too many nick names . I feel like Blackfish is gonna cause some serious mischief later
Yes! Myrcella seems like she'd actually be a really good ruler, I was kinda hoping Arianne's plan for her would go through, just to see how Myrcella would handle being queen. Tommen is just a sweetie pie.
Lady Stoneheart too! How dare they leave her out. That's gonna be such a cool arc. I really wanna see what Lord Manderly's got planned. He's such a badass, I love him. And, I also wanna see Stoneheart get her hands on Petyr. He's so sneaky and clever it's hard not to like him, but Ned was his fault so...
And Lord Frey just needs to die

Lathrine
theatre major from nurse school

Old 08-31-2015, 10:38 PM

Title: Mistborn (or, The Mistborn Trilogy)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Genre: Fantasy!
Plot: A young woman named Vin has an unusual amount of Luck hanging around her, and she gets roped into a grand scheme to help a band of thieves kill the Lord Ruler who has presided over their world for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.
Why You Love It: Lady protag! Also Brandon Sanderson's world has an incredibly unique magic system revolving around the use of metals (iron, copper, steel, etc.), a detailed second language/dialect of english, and a very detailed and fleshed out political system. It might be kind of dry for some people, but if you like that kinda stuff, you should check it out! Even if you don't, details are spaced out and peppered throughout the books enough that it never really bogs down the story. :)

That aside, did I see a mention of Heather Dale a little ways up there?? The timing is fantastic, because I just directed a friend toward her Joan of Arc song this morning! I also saw a mention of Mercedes Lackey, and ohhh BOY do I need to get my hands on more of her books!! I have a few, but they're all in boxes currently. :( My favs. are definitely Take A Thief (tiny baby child thief named Skif becomes v. important and everyone's like THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA) and Brightly Burning (do not remember the deets. of this one exactly, but basically powerful fire mage who is horribly mistreated and abused and it SLAYS THE LATHRINE). Also, the Last Herald-Mage trilogy. You can never go wrong with Vanyel and his story!

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Clock- Yay, welcome! Please tell us all about these books! Maybe I've read some! :D
↘ hm, the Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, Anything Sarah J. Maas, Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch, The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons, Graceling by Kristen Cashore... that's just off the top of my head.

Angel Spirit Girl
8>>(^.^)

Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 AM

Those were some interesting songs you pointed to on youtube.

Iltu

Old 09-01-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZombiePotatoe View Post
I kinda ship Sansa and Willas. I feel so sorry for her, she's always ending up with the creeps. Willas seemed like an actual nice guy. Garlan was an actual nice guy. They're gonna regret leaving those characters out, though. Oh, Strong Belwas!
I has too many nick names . I feel like Blackfish is gonna cause some serious mischief later
Yes! Myrcella seems like she'd actually be a really good ruler, I was kinda hoping Arianne's plan for her would go through, just to see how Myrcella would handle being queen. Tommen is just a sweetie pie.
Lady Stoneheart too! How dare they leave her out. That's gonna be such a cool arc. I really wanna see what Lord Manderly's got planned. He's such a badass, I love him. And, I also wanna see Stoneheart get her hands on Petyr. He's so sneaky and clever it's hard not to like him, but Ned was his fault so...
And Lord Frey just needs to die
I kind of ship them too! I just want happiness and lemon cakes for Sansa, dangit! She's a young girl who's been through too much! I'm hoping this Harry the Heir dude Littlefinger has lined up won't suck, though. STRONG BELWAS! Oh gosh, I almost forgot about him! He's a darling! A giant, powerful, capable-of-killing-me-with-one-finger darling!
Arianne's plan not panning out was so sad to me. Ladies ruling is all I really want!
Yesss, Manderley! Another family I love! Plus, in addition to them all just being BAMFs, a mermaid is a cool sigil.
Ah, you are after my own heart with this talk of Lady Stoneheart going after Littlefinger! Either that, or Sansa having him executed. I love what he adds to the books, but I hate that guy! And yes, he does. The only good Frey is Walda Frey, tbh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathrine View Post
That aside, did I see a mention of Heather Dale a little ways up there?? The timing is fantastic, because I just directed a friend toward her Joan of Arc song this morning! I also saw a mention of Mercedes Lackey, and ohhh BOY do I need to get my hands on more of her books!! I have a few, but they're all in boxes currently. :( My favs. are definitely Take A Thief (tiny baby child thief named Skif becomes v. important and everyone's like THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA) and Brightly Burning (do not remember the deets. of this one exactly, but basically powerful fire mage who is horribly mistreated and abused and it SLAYS THE LATHRINE). Also, the Last Herald-Mage trilogy. You can never go wrong with Vanyel and his story!
I almost pinged you to be like, "where the ef u at, we talkin' about Heather Dale and Mercedes Lackey." Also. I've had Burning Brightly on my bookshelf for years because I found it for fifty cents, but I have not read it yet. Every time I go to I'm like, "...u will hurt me..." I AIN'T TRUST YA, LATHRINE (Then again, when I think about the books I reccomend to you...) Also, has anyone told you you're very good at book descriptions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockReject View Post
↘ hm, the Shattered Sea trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, Anything Sarah J. Maas, Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes, The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski, Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch, The Glass Arrow by Kristen Simmons, Graceling by Kristen Cashore... that's just off the top of my head.
Oooh, someone was just talking about Joe Abercrombie the other day in this thread, I think it was SuperZombiePotatoe?
Anyway! I adore Graceling, have you read Fire and Bitterblue as well? Bitterblue is my favorite of the books. And I just read Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series, I like it! It took me until the third book to get Really Into It, but the first two books had me turning pages and interested in the plot. Plus, I really love her writing style. Do you have a preference for who you'd like to see Celaena end up with? I honestly kind of wanted her to ditch all the dudes and end up with Nehemia (spoilers for book two of Throne of Glass beneath the cut),

SPOILERX

but... well! We know how that went. My poor favorite character...

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 09-01-2015, 01:43 AM

I'm not much for fantasy, but I do like arthurian themed material. I keep meaning to read The Mists of Avalon. Years ago, I read Guinevere, Queen of the Summer Country. I remember that being very good. I also inherited The Last Enchantment, which is by Mary Stewart. I usually like her things.

Iltu

Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 AM

I looove Arthurian things. Haven't read any of those, but Mary Stewart's work is on my TBR, I've heard nothing but praise from other fans of Arthuriana. Have you read The Once and Future King? That's my favorite!

Lathrine
theatre major from nurse school

Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I almost pinged you to be like, "where the ef u at, we talkin' about Heather Dale and Mercedes Lackey." Also. I've had Burning Brightly on my bookshelf for years because I found it for fifty cents, but I have not read it yet. Every time I go to I'm like, "...u will hurt me..." I AIN'T TRUST YA, LATHRINE (Then again, when I think about the books I recommend to you...) Also, has anyone told you you're very good at book descriptions?
BRIGHTLY BURNING IS SO GOOD you should read it!! I mean sure I remember it destroying my heart but it's SO GOOD and it hurts bad in the beginning and then it hurts SO GOOD later on, and like?? idk I don't remember but the MC might be aro. It's been A LONG TIME but I choose to believe he's aro. (also U ARE A BUTT WHO RECOMMENDS BOOKS THAT HURT i haven't even had the chance to read all of them and i STILL know that!! but those books are often the best SO...)

They have not! But I'm happy to hear that! :'D I was just talkin' this afternoon about how my memory itself is kinda bad, but my ability to paraphrase and recall is FANTASTIC. It definitely works in my favor when it comes to describing books!!

Re: Arthurian: I need to get my hands on more Arthurian books! I read a handful back in the day? But I mean I hardly read AT ALL anymore, let alone the mythology and stuff I like. ;_; I need to get back on that train!

Iltu

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 AM

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO I AM NOT OVER MISTBORN I WILL NOT READ MORE FILTH YOU RECOMMEND TO ME!!! (Also, I don't know which box it's packed in, so, uh...) (Also, I'm in a total reading slump and have had zero desire to read for a weeks. :x) I feel like I've heard the MC of Burning Brightly is aro?? I might be making that up, but I have DEFINITELY heard that about some book of Mercedes Lackey's and I remember it was a title I was familiar with.

I was just thinking about the one you reccomended to me years and years ago! Dragon's Son! I can't remember anything about it but that it was Arthurian and I liked it. :B As far as Arthuriana goes, my number one recommendation will always be TOaFK. I'm either laughing or crying the whole time. There's no in between. I need to get back to my reread of it!
It can be hard to get on/stay on the reading train with school and life and other hobbies, that's for darn sure!

ClockReject
(^・o・^)ノ”

Penpal

Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Oooh, someone was just talking about Joe Abercrombie the other day in this thread, I think it was SuperZombiePotatoe?
Anyway! I adore Graceling, have you read Fire and Bitterblue as well? Bitterblue is my favorite of the books. And I just read Sarah J. Maas' Throne of Glass series, I like it! It took me until the third book to get Really Into It, but the first two books had me turning pages and interested in the plot. Plus, I really love her writing style. Do you have a preference for who you'd like to see Celaena end up with? I honestly kind of wanted her to ditch all the dudes and end up with Nehemia (spoilers for book two of Throne of Glass beneath the cut),

SPOILERX

but... well! We know how that went. My poor favorite character...
↘ I've only read the one trilogy by him, though I know he's written a lot more.

I really didn't like Fire or Bitterblue as much as I liked Graceling. Bitterblue was actually my least favourite of the three, aha. I started reading them about a year ago. I read the first three then just a few weeks ago I read The Assassin's Blade, which became my favourite of the series so far. The newest book comes out tomorrow! And I'm still waiting on my pre-order, so many people have there's already and I'm still waiting I would actually be okay if Celaena ended up on her own. I felt that way even before I read The Assassin's Blade and met Sam. //sigh. Neither Chaol or Dorian compare to Sam, it's just not fair. Have you read A Court of Thorns and Roses by Maas?

Cardinal Biggles
Patron Saint of Pigeons🌙

Send a message via Yahoo to Cardinal Biggles

Old 09-01-2015, 04:06 AM

The once and future king, yes! I haven't read it, but I have heard of it. I think it's my friend Simon's favorite as far as Arthurian books.

Iltu

Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 AM

ClockReject- Haha, I'm the opposite! I liked Graceling, but I loved Fire, and I REALLY loved Bitterblue.
I didn't realize the next one was coming out so soon! I better put a hold in at the library. Yeah, I'd almost prefer Celaena to end up on her own, myself. (But not like... because everyone she loved died or something. Just for like. Personal choice reasons!) I'm not particularly invested in her relationships with Chaol or Dorian, so. I do like Rowan a lot, but ugh, not the idea of him and Celaena being romantically involved. I'll take them as comrades, thanks! And Sam! Even though I knew what was coming, I was still sad about it. :'(
I haven't read A Court of Thorns and Roses, did you?

Biggles- Your friend Simon has good taste! A stranger from the internet said so!