Uniplex
Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sic...

Old 10-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Hey!
So my friends and I have a book club, and we often times share books with each other (Like, last year we read the Divergent series, but I didn't have means to acquire them, so my friend read them all then lent them to me, then we met for our meeting).
I am asking what kinds of books do you share with your friends/family? Or do you?

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM

I'm in a constant position of trying to convince my family to read the books I do, and them telling me no. I should clarify that I'm a graduate student in English and so the books I'm reading can vary a bit from what the average bear.

That being said, I can generally speaking convince my dad to read dystopian novels, like I had him read Unwind by Neal Shusterman, with enough convincing or manipulating or agreeing to read something he wants me to read. But my mom and sister flat out refuse, stating everything I read is too dark.

With my friends, I just share what ever I think is good. I'm friends with voracious readers and so they're generally down for everything. I think my most recent recommendation to a friend was The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

Uniplex
Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sic...

Old 10-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings of Writing View Post
I'm in a constant position of trying to convince my family to read the books I do, and them telling me no. I should clarify that I'm a graduate student in English and so the books I'm reading can vary a bit from what the average bear.

That being said, I can generally speaking convince my dad to read dystopian novels, like I had him read Unwind by Neal Shusterman, with enough convincing or manipulating or agreeing to read something he wants me to read. But my mom and sister flat out refuse, stating everything I read is too dark.

With my friends, I just share what ever I think is good. I'm friends with voracious readers and so they're generally down for everything. I think my most recent recommendation to a friend was The Color Purple by Alice Walker.
I get the pain of trying to get family to read something and they say no. My dad will read anything (he and I are both English and history nuts), but my mom, especially, thinks that reading for entertainment is a waste of time and money. She prefers other stuff, which is fine to me. But you know, I wish she'd give it a try.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 10-07-2014, 08:37 PM

My family has this /thing/ about Terry Pratchett. One of us will buy the latest book, and then it gets shared around as we all finish it. Myself, my Mum and my Opa all share. And I suppose my girlfriend too now that she's moved in here. But I'm always sharing my books with my friends.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 PM

I always share =3

Alexander J Luthor
\ (•◡•) /

Old 10-08-2014, 09:21 PM

We've got a book share box at work. I'm obsessively careful with my books, even ones I don't read, so I'm afraid to put any in there.

Kay
(^._.^)ノ

Old 10-08-2014, 10:18 PM

I don't let people borrow any of my books anymore. I've had too many books that haven't been returned.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-15-2014, 02:16 AM

I rarely share books, because too many of them don't get returned or read. I get it though, because people read things in their own time and might not be on the mood for the book I want them to read.

I don't usually like borrowing books from people either, because I take forever to read them and feel bad about having them for so long. I always make sure to return them though.

I'd rather get and give book recommendations than actual books. When people recommend thing to me, I make note of it and add it to my goodreads account, where I'll actually remember it and maybe get around to it someday.

Dandelioness
Myoxine Melomaniac

Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Nobody in my family reads as much as I do or are interested in reading so all my sharing is with friends. But too often a book isn't available and neither do I own it to lend them, so the recommendation remains an unread recommendation :(

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 10-22-2014, 06:07 AM

I once lent my copies of my two favorite books to a guy I was seeing. We broke up nearly two years ago and I still haven't gotten one of those back. R.I.P. my shitty mass market paperback copy of 1984!

abcTHC

Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM

A book club sounds fun! I love to read but haven't had much time to do any lately. Every now and again I'll find time to continue on with the book I've been trying to read, life tends to get in the way however.

I'm super afraid to lend people my books. I either never get them back or they come back in pieces. My sister wants to borrow my Walking Dead comics and my 'Song of Ice and Fire' series and it's just... no.

The only person I swap books with anymore is my dad. He trades me his Carl Sagan books for my Richard Dawkins then we discuss via text since both our lives are incredibly busy.

Chexala
cat whisperer

Penpal

Old 10-24-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcTHC View Post
The only person I swap books with anymore is my dad. He trades me his Carl Sagan books for my Richard Dawkins then we discuss via text since both our lives are incredibly busy.
Aww, that sounds really sweet. Dad time, even via text, is special time.