Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 12-03-2013, 02:19 AM

He felt suddenly drained. The days leading up to his arrival had been stressful, but rewarding, and it was just showing up now. He had nothing to do. No one to talk to---they were probably rearranging their dorms to fit their preference. And he was tired. Perhaps he could go downstairs and see what was for dinner. It would get him moving, and get his lungs used to the different air. If not, he would fall asleep. Lifting his head, Angel moved his hair out of his face and reached forward, turning on the desk lamp near the desktop computer and seeing something that hadn't been there before. A plate of food---well-crafted meat, bright, shining vegetables and things arranged well on a small, shining plate.

He put his hair back, tying it against his head and pulled himself toward it. Such a gesture might have been lost on William, but Angel felt a sense of warmth from that gesture. A sense of kindness. "Thanks." Angel said simply, fiddling a bit with the contents of the plate. It was a nice feeling. Maybe it was intended, but now Angel felt a bit more content with his life. His situation. He was sure he could make it.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-03-2013, 02:28 AM

William nodded his head. "It seemed right ... Since you,re lending me this book." He lifted it awkwardly, evidence of the excuse he'd come up with. It was an excuse for himself, more then anyone else. He didn't want to let the other man know that he could regard him as a friend, so quickly after their very first meeting. The privileged young man cared not a wit how horrid he'd been. It was normal, the course of things in his life. That didn't mean he couldn't decide to change, even a little.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:48 AM

Angel chuckled, shaking his head slightly. "Well, you didn't have to... repay me if you get it back to me after you're done." He said, but was still grateful for the act. It saved him a run downstairs. "I have plenty of other books to keep me occupied. One little novel won't kill me." He smiled lightly, bringing his hand over his hair absently. "I hope you don't mind if I read more into it than I should." He muttered, halfway toward William. The other man probably didn't care to think much more about the gesture. To Angel, his family bonded over food, bringing them together from near and far, sharing their lives and worries over homemade things that could calm and ease worries and fears. Even he got into that. His sisters would often wake in the night with bad dreams, and he would be up at two in the morning to cook something comforting for them. It was a show of care, where he came from. Perhaps that was because of his mother.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 PM

William half-closed his eyes as he wondered what exactly the other man met. His roomate was quite a puzzle to him, saying things he didn't quite understand. The notion that simply giving food away could mean so much was lost on him. William had never had the chance to think about food that way, or the act of giving. Taking, begging, those were the things he was used to.

"I don't ... even if it makes no sense to me." Even if he wouldn't accept the other man's friendship, at least he could offer honesty. Yes, that was what he would do. Decision made, William nodded slightly to himself as he eyed the other man.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 PM

Angel twitched up a smile. "You don't need to understand, I guess. It's nothing bad." It was quite the opposite, really. He put a hand to his mouth, coughing hoarsely. "Sorry..." Angel looked up. "I'm not used to the air here. It's hard for my lungs to adapt." That feeling of constriction was back, but didn't get worse than a slight discomfort around his chest and throat. He swallowed hard, clearing his throat in hopes that he wouldn't need his inhaler more than once a day. Chris had expressed concern about that during their conversation, hoping that Angel would be okay with his one inhaler. He had lied to the other man, though, mentioning that he had one more stored away just in case. If it kept Chris from worrying, then so be it.

Things became quite silent after that, permeated a bit with an occasional, quiet cough from Angel. "You know, you can borrow any book you like without asking." Angel said at last, glancing up. Just put them back where you got them afterward... Or in the general area." He wasn't the cleanest---sometimes he'd leave clothes on the bed, on his chair, or books somewhere stacked up before getting tired of it and rearranging everything to be spotless again. It was quite the opposite of William, it seemed, whose side of the room looked perpetually spotless and orderly.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-04-2013, 12:37 AM

Any of the books, at any time? William smiled brightly at the thought. There were so many he had seen, but never dared to dream that he might one day be able to read. He had to keep up appearances after all. But here, in this room ... With Angel present, he could relax a little. It was a freedom he'd never thought to have, to be able to be a bit more himself around someone else then he could be even alone. It was a gift. And these thoughts, he swore to himself, would be simply that, thoughts.

"I'll treat them as if they were my own," said William solemnly. Without thought, he raised a hand to his heart dramatically, as if pledging that his words were true. They were indeed, but the gesture had been an unconscious one. Perhaps he'd been watching far too many old movies, with gallant men making such movements all the time. It had seeped into his mind.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 AM

Angel laughed, shaking his head at the dramatic show. "Okay, I believe you, Will." He chuckled, and glanced back at the door. It was so quiet, being closed and probably locked---he hadn't recalled whether he had done that or not. "I've read them cover to cover about a dozen times already anyway... I could probably read it to you from memory..." Some he adored more than others, though. He had no doubt in his mind that he could, indeed, repeat every word of those particular books purely from memory.

He stood, stretching and leaving the desk alone, lying on his bed. "Today's been so crazy." He muttered, shaking his hair out and stretching. "Thought I was used to that... I guess you can always be surprised..." He closed his eyes, but didn't fall asleep immediately. His ears were picking up even minute sounds in this strange and different environment.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-04-2013, 01:03 AM

He couldn't tell if the laughter was directed at him, or was simply a show of amusement. Frowning, the young man slipped from the bed and plucked his sleeping things from the drawer of his bedside table. It might have been odd to put it there, but the grey silk pants and button up shirt were so much easier to find there. Once he changed, cleaned his face and brushed his teeth, the strawberry blond moved to his bed and slipped under the covers.

William was used to hearing strange sounds, unknown things he couldn't explain. What bothered him as he closed his eyes was the presence of another. Sleep, it made a person so vulnerable, and there he was sharing his room with someone he knew not. He didn't... And he didn't know whether to trust Angel or not. Clutching the blankets, he fell into a fitful sleep, tossing and turning slightly.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:14 AM

After a while, Angel forced himself up and stretched widely, going around to his closet and pulling bedclothes out. Pale flannel, red and black, it was warm but not too warm. He slipped into his bathroom and showed quickly, taking care of that before morning came so that his hair could dry before class. It had come to be a habit while at home, since even in the coldest weather he had to join his father outside to take care of the animals and one couldn't have wet hair and be more subject to the concept of illness. With brushed teeth, hair in a tight ponytail, and his bedclothes on, Angel came back out and put tomorrow's clothing out, draping them on his soft rocking chair and slid under his blankets and quilt, nuzzling his pillow and glancing across the room.

William seemed restless. He made a note to share some sleeping remedies with the other man, though that was his last thought before he curled into a tight, small ball and fell into a deep, dead-silent sleep. Even the sun that shone through the crack in his curtain didn't wake him---not until the clock rang and his hand darted out, slapping it into silence and his eyes opened, wide and awake, as they did every morning.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 AM

Ringing woke him with a start. He sat up straight, wild eyed and breathing loudly. It took a few moments for William to realize what had happened. He fell back with a groan and closed his eyes tight. The first day of class, and to be awoken in such a way! William wasn't used to it, he hated it! It was so early. "Why ... Why did you have to set it so early!" Grumbling, he threw the blankets off and slipped his feet into a pair of slippers, set by the bed for precisely that reason. From his closet, the young man pulled a white dress shirt, and grey dress pants, from the closet.

He glanced at Angel for a few moments before walking into his bathroom and slamming the door shut.He flung his clothing around, and plunged into the shower. Once done, he dried and combed his hair carefully, dressed himself impeccably and washed his face. Pursing his lips, he looked at himself in the mirror for a few moments, taking account of his aristocratic good looks, his grey eyes and strawberry blonde hair. He would make a good impression at least.

Nodding to himself, William stepped from the bathroom while adjusting the cuffs of his shirt.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 AM

Angel laughed. It wasn't a cruel laugh so much as a giggle of amusement. Even if William began hating him all over, it was good to wake up early in the morning. He jumped up as soon as William's bathroom door closed, shedding his own clothing an putting on daytime clothes---a light brown t-shirt and a light jacket of the same color, boot-cut jeans and boots that seemed to add a bit to his height. When the shower turned off from William's side, Angel shook his head. "It's good to wake up early!" He called, lacing up his boots and jumping up, going around to his own bathroom to brush his teeth and bring a warm washrag over his face. His hair was wild, having dried while he was asleep, so when he stepped back up, Angel took it down and shook it out, glancing in a nearby mirror. It was wild and crazy, but a few brushes with his fingers took out the tangled locks, letting it lie against his head and shoulders gently as William came out.

"You ever gonna eat downstairs with the rest of the school?" He asked, expecting an overdressed man to enter at any time. "Nice to be social even if you don't want friends." He shrugged. "But whatever. I think I'll go outside before breakfast." he glanced at his clock. Six-thirty. A few hours before breakfast, and yet another before his first class. He grabbed his inhaler from the bedside table, glad he hadn't been awakened in the night with an inability to breathe, and pocketed it just in case. "See you soon, Will." He waved, turning and moving out of the room.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-31-2014, 02:26 AM

William stared after the country raised boy with a mixture of distrust and longing. He wanted to follow in Angel's footsteps, craved the company and warmth offered like nothing ever before. But he stopped himself. At least for a little while. Would eating downstairs really be so bad? He didn't know, couldn't know. He'd never even set foot in a cafeteria before. William settled down on his bed, started reading through Hamlet again.

By the time he felt well enough to step out of the room and brave downstairs, he had finished the script. The wide stairs were beautiful, but William only noted how much they cost. He always mentally priced everything he saw, silently judging the antiques lining the hall, the paintings and lights. When William stepped into the crowded dining room, all of that flew out the window.

There were so many people. It felt like their eyes were boring into him every time their heads twisted his way. William cringed internally. On the outside he was calm, cool, and collected as he walked to a bench set right behind a pillar. Out of sight, his shoulders relaxed slightly.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 PM

Picking his way outside, Angel took a few steps away from the set of large back doors and stretched upward. The sky was still dim, but lighter near the horizon that he could see through the trees. Far off in the distance he could see a field of yellow, which looked like wildflowers by their sheer vivid tone even so early in the morning, but it was too far away to identify. He stepped forward and sat on the ground, despite its damp dewiness, and breathed in, testing the morning air in his lungs. It was cool and clear and he didn't feel any thickness or resistance, or the desire to cough or wheeze or use his inhaler. That was a positive, at least, and he fell back on the grass and squirmed into a comfortable position.

He wasn't alone for long; Maddie, the fuzzy-haired hippy-type he'd befriended yesterday, flopped down with a book beside him and rearranged her purple skirt that looked like it was made from ten feet of cloth. Angel sat up and pulled her into a one-armed hug and settled down with her, pulling at her skirt and using it as a blanket, earning a playful shove and tackle. They were suddenly pulled up by Miles, the IT hopeful, and shoved back inside for breakfast.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM

A group of people walked in. Passed him. He lifted his head when he heard a familiar voice. Of course Angel was surrounded by people already. William looked around. Really, what had he expected? The young man scrambled to his feet and took a few steps forward, hand raised. Then he let it fall. What use was it? He was never going to find any friends who would even try to get past his walls. They were there as a reason, after all.

Will looked around and turned on his heel. Best to get back to his room. Safety awaited him there. He could probably go rummaging through Angel's books to try and find something new, and interesting, to read. Something previously forbidden.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 AM

It was early enough that most of the cafeteria was in a quiet slump. Pockets of rowdy coffee-bathers and morning people were goofing around with one another and some loners sticking to the corners or their own tables. Angel looked around curiously after they went through the line and settled down at a round table beside an ornate column. Angel was glad to see the cafeteria didn't have plain frozen or rewarmed foods, and there seemed to be care taken when it came to it. Considering the state of things, there didn't seem to be any corners cut here.

He fell silent when the conversations tuned to computers, and drifted. It felt like he was in another world, when he put more thought into it. Like he was a peasant in a castle. Of course, this was a castle, effectively, but he still didn't belong. He was a little farm boy, not meant for this. Not meant for art, but he was good at what he did. When a hand fell on his shoulder, he blinked and startled, looking down at his half-eaten plate. "Um, I'm gonna head off to my room. See y'all at lunch." He stood, stretched, taking his dishes to the stack near a station and started off for the stairs.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 AM

He settled against Angel's bed without thinking about it too much. In his hands was a huge tome, a copy of Steven King's Under the Dome. It wasn't at all like anything he'd ever read before. The point of view kept changing. There were so many characters! The action was intense, surprising ... Bloody even at times as the Dome slashed down and murder started happening in town.

William was so immersed in the words. He didn't notice when his butler, Eric, came in to put down his breakfast. He didn't notice when Angel came up either. The words pulled his attention into another world. One were power still ruled, but somehow ... Well he didn't know. He would have to read it all to see.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 AM

He passed by a familiar face when he was halfway back to the room. The intent gaze made him turn his gaze to the floor until he ducked into the room, blinking when he saw William leaning against his bed. Angel didn't speak to him around the heavy tome of a book he'd taken from one of Angel's shelves, but instead went to his desk and started writing two emails. He felt generally homesick enough to be totally truthful with how the first full day was beginning, pouring out the frustration he felt with the situation without naming names, simply referring to William as 'my roommate'.

He tried to lighten the tone for Chris but came across as too cheery in his opinion. Deleting the entire thing, he started over and sighed, going with the original layout before sending both. Taking a glance at the clock, he widened his eyes and stood, stepping around to loom over William. "We're going to be late to class if we don't go." He said.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 AM

He peeked over the book. Only his eyes showed. "And what class do you have?" William settled the book across his chest for a few seconds. He already knew where nearly all the classes were, his that is. His first one that day was rather close to the dorms. It would only take five minutes to get there, and his bag was already all packed and ready to go. He wasn't worried. Things like that never really crossed William's mind.

Though when his stomach grumbled, he realized he hadn't eaten breakfast. That was new. He shook his head and set Under the Dome aside with a sigh. He didn't want to go. He wanted to hide away in Angel's side of the room. Safe, sound and comfortable.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:07 AM

Angel smiled and stepped away, grabbing his bag from under his bed beside William. "I've got a still-life class first. About five minutes away, first floor." Standing and stretching, Angel put the bag over his shoulder. "You'd be surprised at how much artists have to figure out, and the art history you have to memorize..." He nearly shuddered at the thought, but he was here for a reason after all. "I'm heading to room A13, is yours anywhere on the way?" Looking at his computer, Angel stepped sideways and closed the top after the emails sent. Focus on his work would take his mind off home, or lack of home. What he wouldn't give to be able to crawl under his blankets and hide away until he was really ready to face the new.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-01-2014, 02:12 AM

William slid off the other student's bed and grabbed his bag. It was a leather thing, briefcase looking and obviously expensive. It made him look like he was off to a business meeting, more then a class. "I looked for you in the cafeteria earlier." The strawberry blond stepped past Angel and waited by the doorway. He leaned against it really. His slate colored eyes shifted from the other man to the corridor near constantly, as if William couldn't stand to concentrate on his roomate for too long.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 AM

He clasped the belt on his denim-leather bag, cinching it closed so none of his supplies fell out---it was all expensive stuff, but artists never skipped out on supplies if they could help it. "You did?" Blinking, Angel stepped forward and followed William out the door, closing it behind them. "I didn't know... I mean, I didn't see you. To be honest I kind of didn't think you'd go down there..." He winced, shrugging a little. "Did you see me? You know you could've come by..." He didn't think Will would have done that. Acting as if he knew the little country boy didn't look like it fit in with Will's usual code of conduct.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 AM

William shrugged and walked down the corridor. He kept in step with Angel all the way. "I did see you." A few steps more. Walking down the stairs. The paintings almost looked real enough to walk around and talk. But that was just something that happened in books. "You looked ... busy. I didn't want to interrupt or impose." That hadn't been it at all. He wouldn't have felt comfortable with those others, the ones Angel had befriended so quickly. Even with Angel, he always felt at odds, and uncertain. But the other man was just so hard to ignore. Like a tick.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 AM

Angel knitted his brow and stared at William, taking a moment to look around at the paintings on the walls when they passed. He could probably do something like that. Maybe he could be a teacher. An art teacher. Then he looked back at William. "You wouldn't have... Never mind." He looked down the hall they weren't going down and then turned his gaze back to William. "Do I annoy you?" He asked suddenly, turning to look directly at William.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 08-01-2014, 02:41 AM

William kept walking for a few steps, before realizing his roomie had stopped in his tracks. The young man turned around. He looked at the ground, his knuckles turning white as he clutched his bag. "N-no." William shook his head hard, eyes still on the floor. "No, you don't." He took a deep breath. "In fact I envy you..." And he hated to admit it, and felt obligated to do so. They were going to be living in the same room for years after all.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:54 AM

Angel knitted his brow, staring hard at William for a moment. "Envy?" He repeated evenly. "Why would you? I mean, you don't need to envy me. I don't think it's a very good color on you to be honest. And you got everything. You just won't give yourself friends. I mean, look around! Not everyone here's wanting to take you for your money. I mean, I got money, I don't much care for the stuff! Why won't you trust me?" That was still weighing on his mind; the fact that William came out and said he couldn't trust Angel. Even if he didn't win the guy over, make another friend, at least he could have a little trust.