salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄) ...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:12 AM

As part of my new year's resolution to exercise more and lead a less sedentary life, I have been going swimming once a week! Not as much as my friend who swims every day, but it's a start :)

There is a lot of potential discussion to be had about this subject! :) Please remember to put these questions in quotes if you use them!

Any other swimmers out there?
How often do you swim?
Where do you swim?
When did you learn how to swim?
Who taught you how to swim?
What swimming techniques do you know?
-- e.g. Individual medley - butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle; doggy paddle; sidestroke
Do you have a favorite swimming technique?
Do you know any diving techniques?
If so, what is your favorite?
Can you tread water?
Have you ever had a near-death experience with drowning?
Have you ever swum in the ocean, river, or other body of water besides a swimming pool?
Have you ever swum competitively?
What swimwear do you use?
-- e.g. bathing suit, goggles, swimcap, earplugs?
Have you ever gone snorkeling or deep-sea diving?

Krazzing
(-.-)zzZ

Old 01-30-2016, 10:25 AM

I want to start exercising in the pool again but I just moved so I need to get some stuffs sorted before I can go swimming. I say pool exercise because I currently literally can't swim to save my life and can't float because of a back injury.
I have some exercises I can do in the water and with a flotation device I can tread water to strengthen my core and legs.

I know my mom took me swimming when I was really young and she taught me to doggie paddle and float but I did take swimming lessons until I was 11 (I think until year (?) 7).

What I know how to do
Doggie paddle, Back - Breast - and Sidestroke, Freestyle, Elementary backstroke, and I think I learned the butterfly but I can't remember how to do it.

Freestyle is my favorite but I love to whip kick while resting my torso on those floaty board thingies.

I can tread water and used to like going in the deep end just to tread water and zone out.

I've only swam in pools, lakes, and ponds but I live near the ocean and I can't wait to go swimming in it. :)
Luckily I have never had any accidents while swimming and I really wanted to swim competitively but I was a strange kid and took "coffee breaks" under water.
For the last couple swim years I was always taken aside and the teacher would drill me until I breathed under water. I know how but it feels really odd when I do it and I still hold my breathe under water today.

I can't dive because I'm a diabetic and I loose my ability to sense when my bloodsugar is low under water. It also takes time to get to the surface, get your gear off, and get something with sugar and in that time I could go unconscious.
I just use googles and a floaty device.

Symphony of the Night
(◎_◎;)

Old 05-21-2016, 01:22 AM

That sounds awesome, Krazzing! What is a coffee break under water? And I have never heard of a whip kick before! And how do you breathe under water?

Apicula
Mountain Dweller

Old 06-28-2016, 11:17 PM

Now that I've gotten into the swing of this summer I want to start swimming laps again. I live right next to a lake and that's my primary swim spot. We do have a few pools around camp, but those are usually swamped by guests so you can't really do laps and they're just generally crowded. So instead I'll walk down the this area we call The Cove (so creative, I know) and swim laps there.

I started swimming pretty young and I'm familiar with pretty much all the different strokes because I had to show I was at least proficient with them when I did lifeguard training. That was forever ago and I need to get re-certified if I ever wanted to pick that up again. I'm also a pretty good endurance swimmer and the furthest I've ever gone was two miles. Never swam competitively though.

As I mentioned before I typically swim in the lake, but I'll swim just about anywhere there's a body of water suited for the job. I really love swimming in the ocean too. Unfortunately that was where I had my near drowning experience because I underestimated the wave size. Didn't die though, so that's good.

I would really love to try deep sea or cave diving in the future.

HarleyQuinn2016
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 PM

Swimming is a great sport. I in fact love it lots cause it is a way to keep healthy and stay in shape.