PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 09-03-2017, 05:32 AM

"No!", snapped Viridis. Sentencing someone, even so cruel as the man who'd once owned Mira, was the last thing she wanted to do. She had no doubt Veldrin would have been able to carry the task out with ease. For all she knew he might have enjoyed it, having once been a slave himself. Perhaps that was why it felt right to work with the mercenary. He had known something similar to what Mira had just escaped.

She shook her head after collecting herself. "It might make our lives easier, but I for one wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew somone's life had been taken on my order. Barring that, what would you suggest as our next move? " Viridis smiled a little. "I imagined hiring you as a bodyguard, and a teacher. I hoped, perhaps, that you could help Mira adapt to his new situation, since by your own words you've lived through something similar once." And Veldrin showed such strenght of character, such self assurance... If he could help Mira find even a fraction of that within himself, hiring him on would prove worth it.

She stood. "I'll fetch the gold." Mira's nod of acceptance made her feel much better about going upstairs to grab those tainted pieces of jewelry. She handed the bag to Veldrin without an ounce of regret and settled down in her seat again, waiting to see how well the mercerary would react to his payment. If he accepted at all.

Kry
Hero Complex

Old 09-03-2017, 06:15 AM

Veldrin had not flinched when the woman snapped out that word, but he had blinked at her with his purple eyes and arched an eyebrow. Again remained of the stark differences between this land and his home. Again wondering at how things could still surprise him despite his many years here upon the surface. She was a strong woman though, a kind woman, but she had a strength to her. Veldrin liked what he saw when he looked into her eyes.

"Our next move should be to put more distance between us and that estate. I would suggest going to a port town and taking passage to the other continent. Put land, sea and more land between the boy and his former master. Once the master sees that he must spend more than the slave is worth to regain him, he'll lose interest." Veldrin spoke the words with a shrug. Watching her as she stood and went off to grab the gold.

When she returned, Veldrin took the sack, seemed to weigh it carefully in his hands for a few moments before finally looking into the bag. His brow furrowed slightly, then he closed the bag tightly. "I am at your service for as long as you need me, no additional payment required for an extended contract if one is deemed necessary. This is more than adequate pay for most any job." It was too much, but Veldrin would not refuse any of it. Being what he was it was hard enough to get jobs, this amount would take good care of him during those times when income would be hard to get.

"I am not sure how well I can teach or help that boy though. True I was a slave once, but before that I was a warrior, a commander in my Mother's army. I may be wrong, but your friend has the feel of one born into slavery or put in it at a very young age. When that is all one knows, it is hard to teach them something else. I will do my best to earn my pay though." He fondled the sack for a moment, then whispered something in a language akin to elvish yet with a much darker tone and feeling to it.

To those sensitive to it, the scent and feel of magic would enter the air for a moment, then the sack of gold jewelry in his hands would be gone.

Mira had jumped slightly when Viridis snapped, staring at her wide-eyed for a moment before calming quickly. She was such a nice person, she didn't even order the mercenary to kill his master even though the man had offered. He knew he should feel grateful for that, or thought he should. Afterall he didn't really want that man dead either, did he? Mira was honestly more conflicted about that than anything else and so decided to stop thinking about it.

He had sat quietly when Viridis went to get the gold, and he remained silent as it was given over to the mercenary. Though there was a slight pain in his chest from parting so completely with those physical reminders. They had been a gift. Solid gold for the favorite slave. Mira had always been the favorite. He shifted slightly in his seat. "...I was not born into it, my parents sold me when I was very young." The words were spoken softly, quietly and with that hint of uncertainty, not sure if he should be interrupting this conversation at all.

It was alright to talk though, wasn't it? He had talked yesterday and nothing bad had happened to him, so why not today also? Especially if he had something to say, but Mira didn't have much to say at all. Though perhaps there was still some hope for him, this mercenary might be able to help him to be strong and sure of himself. Maybe, but Mira still wasn't sure how he felt about Veldrin at all. The man seemed like a predator to him, like a big cat. Calculating, but not quite cold.