Ryuumi
*^_^*

Old 02-01-2008, 05:01 AM

I'm still working on my first book! *lol*

I'm reading The White Goddess by Robert Graves, and The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. They're both very strange, but very good. I have to read them for class...a graphic design class, at that! I have the greatest teacher for design studio, and this whole quarter she's really be emphasizing symbolism, mythology, archetypes, and the collective unconscious...and how to create better and deeper concepts for out designs my using them.

Oh hey, wait a minute - I did finish a book last night...I read Layout by Gavin Ambrose. Not a work of high prose, just a book on grid systems and layout design...but I did read it!

Sir.Spoon
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-01-2008, 05:13 AM

[size=9]The White Goddess!
I so have to read it.
Have you ever read The Golden Bough?
It's so informative.[/sizes]

Ryuumi
*^_^*

Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir.Spoon
The White Goddess!
I so have to read it.
Have you ever read The Golden Bough?
It's so informative.
No, I haven't...but Graves does quote and refer to Frazier quite a bit in White Goddess. Golden Bough looks very interesting - I'll have to pick that up next!

Part of my first degree was an emphasis in Classics (it was combined minor to make a major - Classics and psychology), so I've always been interested in myth and religion. It's fascinating how every culture has these same basic stories and themes that turn up over and over...It's quite an argument for the collective unconscious.

Have you read any of Graves' other work? He's an excellent writer - his fiction is great. I've read I, Claudius and Claudius the God, and I think I have a copy of his King Jesus that I really need to get to. My boyfriend loves Graves' WWI memoirs, Goodbye to All That, but I haven't read that yet.

secretdae007
The Colors of a Dae

Old 02-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Maybe between all my studying, paper writing and working this weekend, I'll find some time to read ^^;

My Cup Of Chai
(^._.^)ノ
Banned
Send a message via AIM to My Cup Of Chai Send a message via MSN to My Cup Of Chai

Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Oh this is awesome! I'm totally in!

So I guess this would also be my list post?

1. [Starting]

Kyoko Otonashi
\ (•◡•) /

Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knerd
^^ Don't worry about the colors. As long as you don't change the tags for every single book, or post multiple colors everytime you visit the thread, it's fine. =)

I'm about halfway through my next book. With any luck, I'll have it finished by the end of the week, just in time for the Super Bowl!
I'm almost half way with Beka Cooper. I've got to say that Tamora Pierce is probably my favorite author of all time <3

Knerd
I put the K in "Misspelling"

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-01-2008, 05:11 PM

@Ryuumi: I read The Crying of Lot 49 last summer, and loved it to death. But it seems to me that the book is meant more to be read with a group of people, like in a book club. I probably would have gotten more out of it if I had the chance to bounce ideas off of someone else. So if you want to talk about it, I'll dig out my copy.

Also, I've been dying to read King Jesus, but I've never been able to find a copy in stores. Someday I'll just have to break down and order it online.

@Kyoko Otonashi: I've never read anything by Tamora Pierce, but I see her name all over the YA section these days. If I ever find the time I'll pick up one for fluff reading.

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 PM

Tamora Pierce does sound awfully familiar to me too, though I haven't picked her up yet. Since she's a favourite, I take it she's good? ;3 I have no idea what she's like!

It's the same way Anita Shreve sounds familiar to me - though I've read one of her books, and am skeptical about picking up another. xD;; I didn't really enjoy how she executed the plot - it was too predictable, and the characters were stereotyped.

But then, I don't suppose she's aiming to write great literature - like Jodi Picoult isn't, either, and her stuff is a tad cliched too, but brilliantly gripping. And she wants to grip as many people as possible to communicate issues. Which is brilliant - she's accessable! And her characters do have a brighter sense of life to them as well. I couldn't put My Sister's Keeper down, and I haven't a habit for reading under the table in class, so it's got to be one of the few books I've got told off for reading! xDD

Though I DID launch it across the room in disbelief and edge around it glowering near the very end. The twists, my goodness! She's a brilliant story-teller.

So Jodi Picoult would sound familiar to me because so many are reading her books, even if I hadn't read some of them. <3

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 PM

I've tried to stay away from Jodi Picoult. I've read summaries of her books and read reviews, and it seems to me that the very things I would hate about it are the things that most other readers love. So I've just kept her off of my reading list for the sake of simplifying things.

Besides, I think I've gotten a bit too old for her.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 PM

I forgot to come and update my list so I just had to list the ones I remembered. Dx Genius, Anna, genius.

Well, my school library got this new stash of manga so I've put my reading aside for a bit to enjoy dialouge and pictures of people with huge eyes.

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 PM

The reviews don't particularly strike my fancy either, but I applaud her for handling delicate subjects and opening up conversation. I also approached My Sister's Keeper completely blind, so I had no idea what sort of author she was when I started it. The characters in that one are the most convincing, and there are some lovely touches about astronomy. I also admire how much RESEARCH she does. Her acknowledgement lists are astounding. The only thing that ticks me off is how she handles Atheism in Keeping Faith and Maunchausen Syndrome by Proxy, having read Julie Gregory's Sickened and been shocked for life. Pretty much all the characters in that one were repulsive.

(Which I shouldn't actually complain about, seeing as I've seen reviews for Just in Case by Meg Rosoff, one of my favourites that say they can't get on with the characters. It's a good thing... they serve a purpose. Like I can't stand Pip or Estella in Great Expectations, but they fascinate me. Trouble is, I can't remember any of the names from Keeping Faith but Faith, nor can I recall many from any others of her books. They're just not that memorable. And although I want to read Nineteen Minutes, I'm pretty sure Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk about Kevin has a far more novel perspective on shool shootings.)

I don't think you can be too old for her - she's more an adult woman's bookclub author, though I've seen many adolescent girls enjoying her as well. She deals with things too serious for chic fic, but still appeals to the masses, and if she gets people reading, well... even if it isn't Literature, it's something. And she knows who she's aiming for. x3

But yes, that's my take on her. I'd rather have a Joanne Harris with cantrips and glamours and wit and, in some cases, what she's known for: her tastebud tickling, lavish descriptions of food. x3

I'm just frustrated that Cliff McNish has done his research and written the book I would have written. Or used similar concepts. Dx *sulks - going to email him that she loves the book, if he has a website and takes mail*

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-03-2008, 08:26 AM

I've just finished the Angel book. ; o; Such a darling story. I can really advise it if anyone ever gets stuck (unlikely. xD)

x3~ I have two things I'm keeping track of my books in now! Does anybody else have a little "What I Read" type book to write comments and what have you in?

I hardly know which to fill in first. xD

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 02-03-2008, 04:43 PM

@ Chaite - In real life? Yeah. We have to keep track of how many pages we've read in the trimester. I don't write them down, I just throw the books in a pile and hope for the best. xD My hand will not be pleased when its time to turn that in.

kitkat
(^(エ)^)
Banned

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM

I updated my list to make it look all pretty! :3!

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-03-2008, 07:11 PM

xD! I'm a bit lazy when it comes to filling in the comment section. I have several to backtrack to. But when it comes to bibliographies I learnt the hard way that it's best to write them out as you go along - otherwise you hand something back into the library thenforgetwhatitwasandcan'trightitout. Dx

Nobody moniters what we read. : O

I've actually known students in my English class not to read the set texts, which astounded me when I first found out. I was literally gobsmacked. Literally. @__@ Jane Eyre and To Kill a Mockingbird. Actually, it sort of goes to show how easily manipulated the UK exam system is, that they could just get by on Spark notes and class discussions... What's worrying is one of them is going on to study English at University. She's really, really bright, and I feel like saying, "Imagine what you could do if you actually read the book! : D"

x3 We did a school assembly on reading last friday. I was so nervous. I can't cope with public speaking at all, but I think I managed to make my tone interesting and pause rather than rush through to the end, though I could feel my heart pounding. I muddle my words enough in class reading aloud as it is. It's a shame that I can be perfectly confident and animated... alone. xO

Everybody was quite concerned about me in primary school, because I refused to read aloud, thinking about it. I just couldn't cope with having a stranger - usually another student's parent - breathing down my neck. Stammer stammer blind panic. Then I got miffed they put me in the group reading How Green is my Mouse when I could cope with The Secret Garden, given half a chance.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to sukishine Send a message via MSN to sukishine

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM

I've been sick all week but I've still been wanting to read without putting too much strain on my mind so I know that "young adult" fantasies have always been easy on me and fun so I started reading The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale last night and I like those types of stories so I hope to finish quite a bit more tonight.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-05-2008, 02:45 AM

I've read the original fairy tale, but I can't say that I've ever seen the book. Sounds good, though.

My roommate and I are watching through all of the Lord of the Rings movies. It makes me want to take out the books again. I miss reading through Tolkein's stories. The only problem is that I didn't bring them up to school with me, and I don't think that our library has any copies to take out. They're reserved for specific classes. So alas, here I sit without any Tolkein. It's a sad day.

Ryuumi
*^_^*

Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 AM

My boyfriend and I watched all three extended editions of the LotR movies in one day. It was for his birthday a couple years ago. That was quite an experience! By the end of it I was so completely immersed in that world that I had a hard time coming back to real life. It was almost like a little mourning and depression - I wanted real life to be epic, too!!

I've tried so hard to read those books, but I just can't get into them. I do love the story, but I'm not a big fam of Tolkien's writing style.

I'm still working on my two books...I've been so distracted by school lately! (Although technically, I'm supposed to be reading these two books for school...*cough*) I think I'll do some serious reading tonight!

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 AM

We're taking the movies slowly - One disc per night, one movie per weekend. So it's dragging out nice and long. And I finally got my roommate to read the Silmarillion, so I'm helping to explain that to her all the while. It's been an exciting time.

Sadly, I haven't had a lot of time for reading lately. Classes have been getting more serious, so even though I'm reading, I'm only reading textbooks. It's not exactly fun.

Speaking of which, I really should go study my microeconomics text right now . . .

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-05-2008, 09:41 AM

In the extended versions, do they include... I can't remember if it's Treebeard's house or the Ent Moot they leave out. I just remember being miffed about it not being there, because that was my favourite bit.

^ ^; Though I have only read The Two Towers, a bit of a weird approach to a trilogy... My Dad read me The Hobbit when I was eight or so (and I remember my first headteacher reading the time riddle in assembly, and being utterly enchanted) and I was terrified of Gollum, when everybody else amongst my friends watching the movies felt sorry for him. Strong childhood impressions.

They should be on my list, though not for the forseeable future. .__.

Instead of reading Song of Solomon (Toni Morrison), I've picked up Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, to support my English Literature exam on the Gothic. And, once I get off the computer and have had a shower to get the cogs of my brain stirring, I have to redraft my coursework essay on The Woman in Black. I'm writing about misfits, and Charles Dickens alongside Susan Hill. I want to order a book of 20th Century Criticism - it probably won't arrive in time for the "final" deadline, but I can hope, and it'll always be useful in the future, if I do go on to do that English degree.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-05-2008, 09:28 PM

I finished The Goose Girl and I don't even care if people think I should be reading harder books (besides, she uses a varied vocabulary that I could not see a younger audience understanding). I loved it! I really like Shannon Hale's writing style and her characters. And it's always fun to find certain characteristics in the heroine that remind me of myself.
Shannon Hale uses a very poetic and descriptive way of writing and I love her imagery. Definitely made me want to go on to the next page.
Upon finishing it I felt very satisfied and I love that feeling. I really couldn't put that book down once I started reading it again. And then I find that there are sequels. *squee*
I'm going to the library here in a bit to see if they are there.

Funny you should mention Lord of the Rings books. After I finished the book last night I still felt a need to continue reading so I grabbed Fellowship off my shelf and began. I did find it harder going into it because of his writing style so I only read eight pages but I would still like to continue. I read The Hobbit a couple years ago and I liked it. I think one reason I was wondering whether I should even start reading it is because I know that some parts of it are going to be very hard to get through because Frodo and Sam go through so many hardships especially. It was hard enough just watching the movie on those parts. I definitely love humor so I always found myself longing to get to Pippin and Merry or Legolas and Gimli.

Knerd

Assistant Administrator

Old 02-06-2008, 03:23 AM

@Chaitealatte - The extended edition leaves out most of Treebeard's house, but there's still a small scene of Merry & Pippin drinking ent-draught and growing taller. This is the first time I've seen the deleted scenes, and it just made me warn and fuzzy inside to watch them. I'm glad the scene was filmed even if it wasn't put into the final release.

I've read through the Trilogy twice - once in elementary school and once in high school - and I think it's time to take the books out again. I'll start reading once I get home.

I just enjoy Tolkein's writing style. Once you get used to his description, it's easy to get immersed in the amount of detail he includes. Even just reading the appendixes is an adventure. I remember spending hours reading through the time lines and adding up how long it took many of the events to occur. I used to argue with my friends about how old Aragorn was when he met the hobbits in Bree, and no one would ever believe me. It wasn't until the extended movies came out that most people found out he was in his eighties.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ s u k i ~ s h i n e
]I love this idea! One of my new year's resolutions is to read more so I hope to put that in action. I highly doubt I'll go for 50 books because I plan to read longer novels a greater part of the time.

Suki's Book List:
1. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale -- 393 pgs.

**Currently Reading or *planning to read:
**The Holy Bible
*Emma by Jane Austen
*Persuasion "
*Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
*The Two Towers "
*Return of the King "
*Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
*River Secrets "
*Princess Acadamy "
*Book of A Thousand Days "
*Austenland "
*Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
*The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Books read: 1
Page count: 393/15,000

Chaitealatte
Dead Account Holder

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 AM

@Knerd - I'm just pleased they put anything more in for the Ents at all. ^ ^~ They were the part in the books that really captured my imagination. I think I must have lain in bed with my jaw hanging open. A bit like the jewels in Smorg's belly, only I'm completely tree obsessed (ask my art teacher: when in doubt, Chai paints trees) so better. : )

I'll have to see if I can get hold of a copy. : D

I can't remember what I made of Tolkein's writing style when I read him. I think I must have enjoyed it quite a lot though. Intense description is always a plus in my books. <33

Although, now I've mentally linked him to Mervyne Peake and the Gormenghast trilogy. He gets lost in description too, but it's of quite another time. Have you read any of them? His stories are quite grotesque - and he has the weirdest sense of humour I've ever come across (see the names Titus Groan, Prunesquallor, Nanny Slag, Steerpike, etc...) I've only read Titus Groan but I have the other two to move on to sometime, and since most everything is gearing towards this Gothic paper, Gothic books are going to be unavoidable for a while. >3<

Actually, I'm inclined to read both him and Tolkein now. Maybe once I'm done with Rebecca... Maybe that'll be my target for this year. Read The Lord of the Rings and the second two parts of Gormenghast. xD

@ s u k i - Is The Goose Girl directed at children, then? : O It makes me really sad when people slate adults reading children's literature. Harry Potter and Artemis Fowl just seem acceptable, but the need for adult covers for former seems silly. Most everybody knows the content is exactly the same, no matter the jacket they're wearing. @__@

Actually, my entire family read Eoin Colfer. My mother left my copy of The Wish List on the plane coming back from Tobago. And we stole my friend's copy of The Supernaturalist and quibbled over who was going to read it first, because we only had a week while we were skiing before we had to give it back.

All the English teachers at my school read Children's Lit. And my favourite one, and both the librarians, organise the Carnegie shadowing group for us each year. One of my current favourite authors (Meg Rosoff) won it last year, and I've got my fingers crossed that she'll win it again this year. >3< Becuase I like her latest book even more than her last one! She's compact, with very dry wit, but glorious figurative language (what sticks is the sky heaving as if in labour during a storm and a birthing cry, and it ties in nicely with what's going on with the characters, but that would be giving things away.)

And Dick King Smith, Michael Morpurgo... The woman who wrote The Worst Witch series... ^ ^; Beatrix Potter even. I don't know if I hadn't had them, would I have got into reading as much as I have now?

Maybe I'm biased. I want to write (and illustrate) Children's Literature when I'm older. : ) along with adult stuff, potentially... But the childish me has never quite left.

sukishine
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 02-06-2008, 06:52 PM

Sorry. I didn't mean to quote my list...I meant to edit it. >.>;;;

@Cahiealatte: Some people seem to think so although I don't think a child could enjoy it as much as an adult to be perfectly honest. I loved the story so much and now I plan on reading all of her work. Most of her writing are really meant for teenagers because she said that's the time she enjoyed reading the most.
Exactly. Harry Potter was in all of the elementary school book shelves but adults read them just the same so maybe some people might think I should be reading Charles Dickens (which I'm not very fond of his writing so I couldn't even finish his book) but I want to read books that are actually fun to read. I love books that make me laugh out loud. xD
And reading those make me want to write as well. I wish I had the talent and I know it takes so much practice and I'm not sure I would have the patience but maybe if I read a lot I'll naturally be a better writer.
This thread is very helpful and encouraging me to more and I'm actually excited to start reading. Reading is way more fun than getting on the internet to me now.
I didn't know what I was missing all this time. :3
I requested Shannon Hale's book at the library yesterday so they should be there next week at latest so I got Eragon by Christopher Paolini to keep me busy until then. I've heard that several elements of it seem very similar to LOTR but come on--Tolkien was a father of fantasy...it's hard not to use some of his beginning ideas. My sister liked the book so I probably will. Neither of us liked the movie too much though.