Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 07-04-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazabar View Post
Honestly I think Menewsha could get a minor rebound by developing a mobile app that leaves all of the dress up components intact. There is precedence for this, as mobile games such as Love Nikki bring in metric tons of cash for their devs. Add extra ways to farm gold and get outfits and reap the rewards.
It wouldn't be a bad idea!

The Wandering Poet
Captain Oblivious

Penpal

Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shion Uzuki View Post
There was a period of about 4-5 years where I wasn't on Avi sites much at all. :/ So I probably missed this period. But I can see how that might bother some people?

But Inso made a post back in 2010 about how it had been dropping for awhile. He correlates this to "drawing anime" and anime fandom being less popular. But in reality there were other things going on at this time:

- The internet was shifting from different websites spread all over the place to social media sites and apps taking the lions share of traffic.
- Mobile use becoming more frequent to taking up over half of the browsing that takes place these days. Without a mobile version of your website, you're shooting yourself in the foot in 2019.

I work directly with anime and the anime fandom (a bulk of my work is with conventions, planning, and handling the print/web media) and most of our shows have been seeing a steady increase. It's not really going away, but all nerd fandoms are kind of getting cannibalized into one big thing, this has been ongoing since the late 2000's. For example, one show went from maybe 3k attendees to about 25k. Others see a steady but slow increase over time. So I'd wager that anime isn't really the culprit, so much as how people spend time online and what they do.

If you look at social media, you've got notifications to let you know when there's been a reply or when someone posts something, or when something is going on. In the old days of forums, even with updated forum software, you still have to check back to get a clearer picture of everything going on. It takes a lot of bandwidth to send constant email notifications on a large forum. Forums were bigger in the days when you spent a few hours online at most. These days, we are constantly connected everywhere we go. Everything is instant, and I fear this is why forums are falling out of use.

Also, with avatar sites, you are taking a pre-drawn base and dressing it and expressing yourself with that image. You can make yourself out to be a Unicorn Princess or a Dark and mysterious rouge. With social media, you present an image of your true self (sometimes with filters) and show your life the way you want people to view it. We all do it. Even those of us who don't filter ourselves into oblivion. We're more or less doing the same thing, without having to post on a forum with strangers to get to the level to do that. We just download snap a picture and upload. This has evolved.

YET, dress up games like Love Nikki are super-popular. How many memes are out there about creating a perfect character in an MMO? People still love dress up games, people still love being social. But it's different.

I don't know if Mene will be able to evolve and change into something like that at this point, as it would take a lot of time, money and dedication with a lot of risk. That's probably a job better suited to new games. Likewise, Gaia has also been struggling for these same reasons. Most people don't even know Gaia is still around or a thing. (I get asked this often).

IDK. :/
You make a lot of big points. I had been urging mene to go mobile for a long time. One of menes biggest complaints is that its not mobile friendly, especially since mene had a lot of mothers who now didnt exactly have time to hop on a full website with a kid running around.

The concept of dressing up has always been big, but I definitely agree it would take finding a niche that menewsha could take in that would allow them to thrive.

But Another big thing with Menewsha, is that your avi can't really DO anything... which I think is part of why gaia has managed to last so long. Though how to implement the ability to interact like that isnt something I am familiar with.
Something like an avatar related discord.

Wee_Kushy
☆Wee Mule☆

Old 07-14-2019, 03:25 PM

I miss menewsha.. I hope it isn't the end .. it's the only site that trolls don't exist lol..

xoxoAngiexoxo
(◎_◎;)

Old 07-29-2019, 02:31 PM

I miss the events. Seems like those in charge just forgot about this place

Esmereina
Self proclaimed ingenius ^^

Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 PM

Hello! It's been a long time! Im sorry things turned south here. I wish to come back and enjoy the company again. Thank you for telling us what you know. I do hope thing improve whenever you can do!

Hugs,
Esme

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...
Send a message via AIM to Protagonist Send a message via MSN to Protagonist

Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Coming back from time to time. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue adding multi equips to their avatar.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 08-31-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Coming back from time to time. I just wanted to see if anyone else was having the issue adding multi equips to their avatar.
You have to disable scripts to equip multi items.

Protagonist
(╯°□°)╯...
Send a message via AIM to Protagonist Send a message via MSN to Protagonist

Old 09-02-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin Rosenbaum View Post
You have to disable scripts to equip multi items.
Oh right! I forgot about that!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-02-2019, 03:57 PM

I love your siggie

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 AM

I am thinking of changing my avatar again.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 PM

doooo eeeetttt!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 AM

just not sure what I want to go with

KushyKissez
♤♡Kushy Quinn♢...

Old 09-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Turning off scripts is same as turning off java script ? Was told to do it on chrome but I can't find the red shield everyone says to click on :(

`Kitami
The girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Send a message via MSN to `Kitami

Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 PM

How is life, friends?

R u b y
Grand Duchess of Gifs & Memes™

Old 09-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Somehow previews in the marketplace now work for me, but I still can't open multis in my inventory. And I can't turn off the safe scripts anymore so I guess I'm stuck with this avi haha

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 PM

I hadn't realized you couldn't turn of scripts when I took off my previous avatar so I'm going with this one. Which I like.

Mageling
Mostly void, partially stars

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Mageling

Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 PM

I accidentally took off the hair I had on, which was part of a multi I put on while the script trick still worked, but now I can't put the hair back on so I had to use another one I had on hand. I don't like it as much as what I had, but it's what I've got.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 AM

I took off my whole outfit before I realized the script trick no longer worked.

Cecila
Princess

Old 10-05-2019, 01:00 AM

I hope things here can be sorted out, I don't want to part with another avi site =(!

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-05-2019, 01:04 AM

Me either.

PWEEP
Shadow Panda

Old 10-06-2019, 03:09 AM

Damn this place went to shit. Thought maybe I'd give away all the items I had - which was considerable - to those who still lingered. Nah, can't even do that. Literally no one is here
First person I recognize gets all my stuff. Every collectible and every event item. As soon as it's gone,so am I
The fact that Insomniac decided to fuck off and not bother at least checking in with his staff? Should have known the site was done to begin with.

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-06-2019, 03:16 AM

Sorry to be losing you.

Pkero
~VR is the Future~

Old 10-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Shame to see this place in its death throes. :(

Kirin Rosenbaum
I am a Kiri-fish.

Penpal

Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 PM

I am hoping something can be done.

R u b y
Grand Duchess of Gifs & Memes™

Old 10-07-2019, 12:38 AM

I'll still keep checking and forever wishing mene will be back up and running because it'll always be my favorite place and my first home