Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 AM

Lovely Banner was made by Omi

Welcome to Menewsha's Sweet Surprise Cooking and Coloring Contest.

We know a lot of you enjoy baking and cooking extra nummy treats for your loved ones around this time. We often get requests for this kind of contest. So we're inviting you to share what you've made with us in the three traditional categories. Sweet, Savory and Sippable.

Also!

This year Cecila and her Grandpa need help decorating their Yuletide tree. We've provided a template for you to help us decorate. Help make Cessy's tree nice and bright!.

[/CENTER]

Last edited by Nephila; 12-22-2015 at 06:17 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

How to Participate

Baking Portion To enter, simply prepare your real-life creations, add your username and snap a photo. Host the image somewhere (I like IMGUR), and paste or link your entries in this thread using the provided form. :3

Coloring Portion To enter, either save or printout the template. Color using any method, but please do use the template. Upload to any image hosting site and paste link to your entries in this thread with our handy dandy form.

RESTRICTIONS
  • No more than two entries per person, per category.
  • Don't edit your username into your image - it's got to be part of the original photo. If you mess up and forget the username, talk to me & we'll see if we can work something out.
  • No storebought goodies, please! Using recipes or box mixes is fine, as is getting as little bit of help from another person as needed (2 year old "help" decorate? That's fine. Enlisted someone to chop nuts for you? That's ok too.), as long as you've done the majority of the work yourself.

ENTRY DEADLINE

All entries must be submitted in this thread by the end of the Festival of Winter Nights event.
(Check the Event FAQ for the most current info.)

PRIZES

For each category:
1st Place - 5K gold
2nd Place - 2K gold
Runners-up - 750 gold
If we get enough entries, prize medals may be awarded to Overall Staff Favorites:

Q & A

Q. What criteria are the entries being judged on?
A. For edible entries, I'm looking at sentimentality (is this a family recipe? Does it remind you of your nan, or a special memory? I love that stuff! ), how yummy I imagine it tasting (not necessarily to me; you won't fail for accidentally using an ingredient I don't personally like), and overall presentation (both staging and the food itself). For crafts: creativity, technique, results (if you attempt something really difficult I'll take that into consideration when judging the final product).

Q. All I have is my phone camera. How important is photo quality to you?
A. While entries aren't being judged on photo quality directly, since I can't actually taste the food the visuals do matter. I'm not going to be picky about image resolution but a nicely staged photo will have an edge over a similar quality dish with a careless photo. (eg, Don't set your plate of beautiful, yummy food on a dirty floor next to a pair of sneakers to take your pic.)

Q. Does my entry need to be "Christmassy" in order to win?
A. Not at all. Whatever seasonal means to you is just fine with me. :) Feel free to add comments to your entries to explain anything you feel concerned about.

Q. I'm not the best cook/colorist, should I enter anyway?
A. Go for it! I love to see any and all creations - it's especially neat to share holiday foods because so many of them have personal relevance to the chef. I may be sending everyone who enters a little something just for participating, too. Depending on how many people we get to enter. :)

Last edited by Nephila; 12-16-2015 at 03:08 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

SWEETS

For the sweetest of the sweet ~
those festive candies, cookies, and other goodies go here!

ENTRY FORM
[COLOR="Plum"][B][SIZE="5"]I brought sweets![/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[paste or link IMG here]
[B]Comments[/B]: [optional]

EntriesX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlandnymph View Post
I brought sweets!
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Comments: Wintery White Snowflake Cookies! Because this is the most snow we'll get in New England this Christmas...

I brought sweets!
Comments: Oreo Holly Truffles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Corrin View Post
I brought sweets!
http://imgur.com/pZLbxmN
Comments: Banana Cream Pie with a fresh banana layer in the center and topped with another fresh banana!

I can't get imgur to cooperate with my Turkey and Ham so I'll post those tomorrow lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
Hahahahaaaa I got something to enter!

I brought sweets!
Untitled - Hikari-Hellion's Sta.sh
Comments: I made these to give to friends in their cookie/candy baskets, only...my mom ended up eating half the first batch by herself. So, I had to make another round, and figured why the hell not enter them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I brought sweets!
Homemade Pumpkin Bread
Comments: I decided to share with you all the Pumpkin Bread I've made for Christmas dinner at my parents. Every year during the holidays (including both Thanksgiving and Christmas), someone makes some kind of desert with pumpkin in it. It's kinda like our tradition.. I decided to do it this year again. Last year I made a pumpkin roll and this year I decided to make a pumpkin bread. So, with a little pumpkin, ginger spice, pumpkin spice, creamy icing, nutmeg, powered sugar, eggs, oil, and love, this year's pumpkin bread was made. First of it's kind, actually! And lets just say everyone had to take some extra home with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiyoTsuki View Post
I brought sweets!
http://sta.sh/05a81i2bl22
Comments: Here's the recipe I used--> Eggnog Cookies | MrFood.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
I brought sweets!

2nd Pic ~ 3rd Pic
Comments: This is a lemon meringue pie. Something i've made quite a few times and something I enjoy making. This is my grandfather's favorite dessert, and so, when the mood strikes me, I make it for the ol coot. --- Everything has been made from scratch: crust, filling and meringue. ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunesta View Post
I brought sweets!

Comments: I made some gingerbread cookies to pass out to a few people. My 3 year old helped me decorate a few.
[QUOTE=Linnea;1773545158]I brought sweets!
Click on thumbnail for full view
Comments: brownies! i baked it in an cast iron pan, which was new for me, added a little whipped cream and sparkly sprinkles. perfect for the season :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by For-Chan Cookie View Post
Drive by entry dump! *backs up dumptruck and posts*

First Sweets!

I brought sweets!

Comments: My uncle loves eggnog and my Nana loves rice pudding, so when I went to their house for Christmas dinner, I decided to make some Eggnog Rice Pudding! This isn't the sexiest picture in the world, but since I made it to travel, I didn't get any sexy food shots. Rest assured it was noggy and delicious!

I brought sweets!

Comments: Of course Cookie made cookies for Christmas ;) And I don't make small batches. With my trusty cookie gun, I churn out cookies by the dozens and dozens! I made seven dozen for my work Christmas party. Here's just a few: Strawberry Jam Thumbprints and Green Christmas Trees :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenaHikari View Post
I brought sweets!
[Sprits Trees Sprits trees w/flash]
Comments: [optional]

I brought sweets!
[GingerBread snowflakesGingerbread snowflakes w/flash]
Comments: [Optional]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xogizmoox View Post
ENTRY FORMI brought sweets!
Comments: Christmas cheese cake with snowflake sprinkles because Santa gets sick of cookies ^.^

Last edited by Nephila; 01-01-2016 at 11:01 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-16-2015, 02:21 AM

SAVORY

From snacks to soups & salads to hearty main dishes,
things to eat that aren't overly sweet belong here. :)

ENTRY FORM
[COLOR="skyBlue"][B][SIZE="5"]I have a savory dish to share![/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[paste or link IMG here]

EntriesX

Quote:
I have a savory dish to share!
http://i.imgur.com/Ov23MXa.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PdgQb8P.jpg
Comments: Maple Bourbon Glazed Spiral Ham - glaze is made from a variety of spices but the main contents are Vermont Maple Syrup and Kentucky Bourbon. :)

---------- Post added 12-27-2015 at 12:06 AM ----------

http://i.imgur.com/nMUiiUV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/1IdjESL.jpg
Comments: Bacon Lattice Turkey with Stuffing and Applewood Smoked Bacon. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LONGCAT~ View Post
Comments: Shrimp Alfredo on ravioli with homemade cran-razz lemonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyButton View Post

proof pic

Comments: Black-eyed peas! I think I make them pretty much the standard way (ham, onion, celery, lil carrot) but add fresh jalapeno, tons of garlic and cook them in bacon grease & chicken stock. Serve with sour cream, sliced green onion and more bacon! ;D Make these every NYE to eat for luck/yums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by For-Chan Cookie View Post

Comments: Colder weather means you crave nice warm comforting foods right? I decided to combine some things that I liked to make something really yummy. What are those things? Macaroni and cheese and Broccoli and Cheddar Soup! So here's my Broccoli Mac and Cheese Soup! It's hard to tell in this picture, but I put little baby shell macaronis in it. All the pictures of this soup turned out kinda blurry, but the soup was warming to the tummy and yum yummy! :D
Bonus shots: My broccoli and carrots cooking. I just like the color contrast! A better look at the shells. The whole giant pot of soup!

Comments: Holiday season seems to be dip season. Gotta have dip for your chips at parties right? I had a hankering for Spinach and Artichoke dip, and as I was looking at this giant pot of dip that I'd created, I decided to use some of it for a slightly different use, Chicken Spinach and Artichoke Pasta! OMG! It worked out amazingly. So cheesy and yummy. New favorite recipe! Though next time I'll definitely make sure the artichoke leaves are trimmed better. I got a few spines. =/
Bonus shots: Giant pot of spinach and artichoke dip. Big pot of yummy pasta. :D

Aaaaand, that's it for now. Unless I pop off to concoct drinks, but I'm feeling a bit lazy, so maybe not.
Quote:

[Rice puddingRice pudding-img 2]
Comments: [Rice pudding a savory type pudding made from rice]

[Swedish meatballs]
Comments: [A staple on Christmas eve at our house, excellent dinner or snack, taste great cold or warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
i finally remembered to get a picture of my sketti!

Comments: spaghetti! angel hair noodles, ground beef with a special mix of sauces and vegetables i'll give you a little tidbit though, a can of tomato paste in the sauce makes it stick to the noddles real good like that. yay for mama's secret sauces!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Biggles View Post

Comments: Shaved brussel sprouts and chestnut salad that I made last night. It has some delish seasonal ingredients like roasted chestnuts, but all together it had this light, bright taste suitable for yesterday's festive tone. I was really pleased, as it was the first time I made it. Contains: home roasted chestnuts, cameo apples, brussel sprouts, gruyere cheese, and a honey-dijon-shallot-sherry vinegar-olive oil vinaigrette.
Quote:
I have a savory dish to share![paste or link IMG here]Comments: Gizzie makes her own salsa ALL DIFFERENT FLAVORS TOO from mild to burn your nose hairs hot I make pineapple mango , cherry salsa, plain, pico salsa, etc. Because store bought is missing LOVE ^.^

I have a savory dish to share![paste or link IMG here]Comments: Cheesy bacon tatters ... potatoes are cut into chip size slices add THREE cheeses , bacon shredded, and other yummy goodness bake in oven yummy goodness ^.^

Last edited by Nephila; 01-01-2016 at 11:17 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Sipable Sociables

This is the beverage category. If you're meant to drink it, it belongs here! :)

ENTRY FORM
[COLOR="Blue"][B][SIZE="5"]I made something to drink![/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[paste or link IMG here]

EntriesX

I made something to drink!
Hot Wintermint Chocolate Chip Cocoa with a bit of a kick
Comments: While this isn't exactly beautifully made, it is a favorite of mine! Cocoa powder + Sugar +milk + a dash of powered sugar + chocolate chips + Wintermint candycane makes a great hot beverage to sip on when it's cold out! (Though it hasn't been cold here...) Oh, and I pour in a bit of choco liquor for a more adult drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperZombiePotatoe View Post

Comments: This isn't a specifically Christmas drink, but it's something that I make for special occasions like Christmas. We call it Eid Milk. I used milk, condensed milk (optional id you're not much of a sweet tooth), pink food colouring (or any colour you fancy), rose syrup (or a syrup flavour to match the colour you're going for), vanilla ice cream and sabja seeds (also called Sweet Basil seeds or Falooda seeds). Sabja seeds are basically little black seeds that you soak in hot water and they develop a little filmy coat around them. They don't have a taste, but the milkshake definitely isn't the same without them
Comments:
homemade hot cocoa with whipped cream and crushed up candy cane sprinkles. i'll share the recipe for this because it's special and yummy! warm up some milk. add tbsp of cocoa powder, a tsp of vanilla (or two), and sugar to your taste.[COLOR="lightseagreen"]

Last edited by Nephila; 12-31-2015 at 01:11 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

As you can clearly see, that one naked tree.
Let's help them Decorate!

Last edited by Nephila; 12-16-2015 at 03:40 AM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

The Template for your Decorations:

HERE!

ENTRY FORM
[COLOR="skyBlue"][B][SIZE="5"]BOOP a Bobble![/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]
[paste or link IMG here]

EntriesX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeapear View Post
BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: As an Australian, Christmas can often be overwhelming with the sheet magnitude of marketing directed towards a very European/US-centric view of Christmas: fireplaces, snow, hot food... etc., whereas for us that couldn't be further from the truth. Here I have tried to make a distinctly Australian bauble, one that possesses significance that the typical Australian family can relate to.
I'd imagine that the sand in the glass bauble was gathered from a Christmas beach trip down to Bondi (surfing/the beach is a pretty typical Australian Christmas activity since the heat is so hellish), and the kids then get to decorate the beachscape and paint on the ocean and attach the seagull to the stopper, because what beach Christmas is complete without the bloody gulls trying to steal your chips? Finally, the label is there to serve as a reminder of all the good times had that year, and there are probably many more, similar, baubles lying around for this family from all of their other, annual, Chrissy beach trips.

Man, I went reeeeally stereotypical there. I hope that my entry's okay; I started off doing a snowscape but it was just so unrelatable that I decided to just screw it and make something a little closer to home. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: I just had to draw Yumeh... Especially since Cecilia is the NPC he's the most fond of, and I imagine she loves him a bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnea View Post
ah yes, that makes sense. how old are they? if you don't mind me asking?

BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: cessy's dream world holds a lot of secrets... it also holds this gingerbread man. he doesn't look too pleased about it either!
Quote:
BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: I thought Cessy might enjoy making a memento of her Dreamland so this was the result! :D
Quote:
BOOP a Bobble!
Comments: Merry CATmas ~meow~ ^.^
Quote:
BOOP a Bobble!
[Triforce in the Sky]
Comments: [Triforce in the clouds...just because]
Quote:
BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: I thought Santa Yan should be included in our festivities as well! <3

Last edited by Nephila; 01-01-2016 at 11:43 PM..

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 02:59 AM

Cool! Hopefully I can get an entry in this round! :)

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 12-23-2015, 03:00 AM

Would it be possible to trace the template and then color it? I cannot print anything out here.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 03:36 AM

Hmm I suppose that would be ok.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:20 AM

BOOP a Bobble!

Comments: As an Australian, Christmas can often be overwhelming with the sheet magnitude of marketing directed towards a very European/US-centric view of Christmas: fireplaces, snow, hot food... etc., whereas for us that couldn't be further from the truth. Here I have tried to make a distinctly Australian bauble, one that possesses significance that the typical Australian family can relate to.
I'd imagine that the sand in the glass bauble was gathered from a Christmas beach trip down to Bondi (surfing/the beach is a pretty typical Australian Christmas activity since the heat is so hellish), and the kids then get to decorate the beachscape and paint on the ocean and attach the seagull to the stopper, because what beach Christmas is complete without the bloody gulls trying to steal your chips? Finally, the label is there to serve as a reminder of all the good times had that year, and there are probably many more, similar, baubles lying around for this family from all of their other, annual, Chrissy beach trips.

Man, I went reeeeally stereotypical there. I hope that my entry's okay; I started off doing a snowscape but it was just so unrelatable that I decided to just screw it and make something a little closer to home. :)

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 AM

Woot! Thanks for kicking us off to a great start.

zeapear
How's Annie?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:28 AM

Thanks, I'm just excited to see the rest of the entries.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 04:36 AM

Me too. This tree is going to be awesome!

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 12-23-2015, 06:29 AM

i always say i want to do these ones but i get too caught up in grown up crap i'm really gonna try this year!!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 09:31 AM

let's bake crayolas!

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Sounds fun but messy. :D

Ivvy
Fashionably Late

Penpal
Send a message via AIM to Ivvy Send a message via Yahoo to Ivvy

Old 12-23-2015, 06:32 PM

humm baking... we just did a non edible bake here. Kiddos made salt dough with me and baked off ornaments. :)

Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 12-23-2015, 09:52 PM

*Takes pipe out of mouth* How is our tree coming along? It is a fine specimen this year, a nice scotch pine.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 PM

We have one bobble so far. :) but it early still in this festival. :D

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 12-24-2015, 04:27 PM

That was a neat entry, zeep!

.. I'm gonna slice up this ugly bread I just made once it cools.

Woodlandnymph
Master Debater

Old 12-24-2015, 05:53 PM

I brought sweets!
Comments: Wintery White Snowflake Cookies! Because this is the most snow we'll get in New England this Christmas...

I brought sweets!
Comments: Oreo Holly Truffles

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 12-24-2015, 06:27 PM

Wheee, time to enter my favorite contest ^^

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 12-24-2015, 10:52 PM

Oo those truffles

TaiyoTsuki
Raging Asexual

Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 PM

Those look delicious.

With all the sweets I'm making this Christmas, I have no idea which I'll be entering. @_@ So many choices.....