Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:05 PM

It had occurred to me that I had no clue on how Saint Patrick's Day even came to be and why it was created. Nowadays, it is known by everyone as a day to wear green and pinch people. Usually rainbows and leprechauns also are used to celebrate the holiday. But do you know what the day is actually all about?

According to Wiki,:

Quote:
Saint Patrick's Day or the Feast of Saint Patrick (Irish: Lá Fhéile Pádraig, "the Day of the Festival of Patrick") is a cultural and religious holiday celebrated annually on 17 March, the death date of the most commonly-recognised patron saint of Ireland, Saint Patrick (c. AD 385–461).

Saint Patrick's Day was made an official Christian feast day in the early seventeenth century and is observed by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion (especially the Church of Ireland),[4] the Eastern Orthodox Church and Lutheran Church. The day commemorates Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland,[3] as well as celebrates the heritage and culture of the Irish in general.[5] Celebrations generally involve public parades and festivals, céilithe, and the wearing of green attire or shamrocks.[6] Christians also attend church services,[5][7] and the Lenten restrictions on eating and drinking alcohol are lifted for the day, which has encouraged and propagated the holiday's tradition of alcohol consumption.[5][6][8][9]

Saint Patrick's Day is a public holiday in the Republic of Ireland,[10] Northern Ireland,[11] Newfoundland and Labrador and Montserrat. It is also widely celebrated by the Irish diaspora around the world; especially in Britain, Canada, the United States, Argentina, Australia and New Zealand.

Much of what is known about St Patrick comes from the Declaration, which was allegedly written by Patrick himself. It is believed that he was born in Roman Britain in the fourth century, into a wealthy Romano-British family. His father was a deacon and his grandfather was a priest in the Christian church. According to the Declaration, at the age of sixteen, he was kidnapped by Irish raiders and taken as a slave to Gaelic Ireland.[12] It says that he spent six years there working as a shepherd and that during this time he "found God". The Declaration says that God told Patrick to flee to the coast, where a ship would be waiting to take him home. After making his way home, Patrick went on to become a priest.
According to legend, Saint Patrick used the three-leaved shamrock to explain the Holy Trinity to Irish pagans.

According to tradition, Patrick returned to Ireland to convert the pagan Irish to Christianity. The Declaration says that he spent many years envangelizing in the northern half of Ireland and converted "thousands". Tradition holds that he died on 17 March and was buried at Downpatrick. Over the following centuries, many legends grew up around Patrick and he became Ireland's foremost saint.

Wearing of the green

On St Patrick's Day it is customary to wear shamrocks and/or green clothing or accessories (the "wearing of the green").

St Patrick is said to have used the shamrock, a three-leaved plant, to explain the Holy Trinity to the pagan Irish.[13][14] This story first appears in writing in 1726, though it may be older. In pagan Ireland, three was a significant number and the Irish had many triple deities.[15] The triple spiral symbol appears at many ancient megalithic sites in Ireland.

The colour green has been associated with Ireland since at least the 1640s, when the green harp flag was used by the Irish Catholic Confederation. Green ribbons and shamrocks have been worn on St Patrick's Day since at least the 1680s.[16] Green was adopted as the colour of the Friendly Brothers of St Patrick,[17] an Irish fraternity founded in about 1750.[18] However, when the Order of St. Patrick—an Anglo-Irish chivalric order—was founded in 1783 it adopted blue as its colour. This led to blue being associated with St Patrick. In the 1790s, green became associated with Irish nationalism when it was used by the United Irishmen. This was a republican organization—led mostly by Protestants but with many Catholic members—who launched a rebellion in 1798 against British rule. The phrase "wearing of the green" comes from a song of the same name, which laments United Irishmen supporters being persecuted for wearing green. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the colour green and its association with Saint Patrick's Day grew.

Saint Patrick's feast day, as a kind of national day, was already being celebrated by the Irish in Europe in the ninth and tenth centuries. In later times, he became more and more widely known as the patron of Ireland.[20] Saint Patrick's feast day was finally placed on the universal liturgical calendar in the Catholic Church due to the influence of Waterford-born Franciscan scholar Luke Wadding[21] in the early 1600s. Saint Patrick's Day thus became a holy day of obligation for Roman Catholics in Ireland. It is also a feast day in the Church of Ireland. The church calendar avoids the observance of saints' feasts during certain solemnities, moving the saint's day to a time outside those periods. Saint Patrick's Day is occasionally affected by this requirement, when 17 March falls during Holy Week. This happened in 1940, when Saint Patrick's Day was observed on 3 April in order to avoid it coinciding with Palm Sunday, and again in 2008, where it was officially observed on 14 March. Saint Patrick's Day will not fall within Holy Week again until 2160.[22][23] However, the secular celebration is always held on 17 March.

In 1903, Saint Patrick's Day became an official public holiday in Ireland. This was thanks to the Bank Holiday (Ireland) Act 1903, an act of the United Kingdom Parliament introduced by Irish Member of Parliament James O'Mara.[24] O'Mara later introduced the law that required that pubs and bars be closed on 17 March after drinking got out of hand, a provision that was repealed in the 1970s. The first Saint Patrick's Day parade held in the Irish Free State was held in Dublin in 1931 and was reviewed by the then Minister of Defence Desmond Fitzgerald.

There's some of the history.

If you happened to read some or all of it, was it informing? Did you learn anything or did you already know all of it?

I for one didn't know it was a religious holiday.

Edit: I did know it had something to do with religion, because of the "Saint" part, but hadn't know who St. Patrick as and what religion he was part of.

Last edited by Velvet; 03-17-2014 at 02:11 PM..

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:06 PM

thanks, Vel

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Hummy, you look adorable! <3

And you're welcome. :P

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:09 PM

thank you, it's litterally all the green i have

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Well you generally wear teal. :P So, that's understandable. :D

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 PM

... I faint from the wall of texts...

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM

Reading is informing! Then again, I've always enjoyed history and reading..

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 02:22 PM

I like juicy scandal history... not... don;t know what type of history is that.XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM

I sorta skimmed it. cause i kinda knew what the holiday was about. But like most holidays (especially hallmark/chrisitan) I don't ever know when its coming up. SO this pinch tradition i'm finding out about angers me. like right now. i dont' have even a bit of green on me. -.- but if I go out it'll be like i'm a horrible person cause i don't have green. and i FORGOT that st paddy's day was today ... since I went out saturday.

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Amane:, did you know that Saint Patrick's day used to be all about wearing blue?

Rette, actually there were some problems that arose during this holiday.

---------- Post added 03-17-2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
I sorta skimmed it. cause i kinda knew what the holiday was about. But like most holidays (especially hallmark/chrisitan) I don't ever know when its coming up. SO this pinch tradition i'm finding out about angers me. like right now. i dont' have even a bit of green on me. -.- but if I go out it'll be like i'm a horrible person cause i don't have green. and i FORGOT that st paddy's day was today ... since I went out saturday.
The pinching thing... I have no idea how that even fits in anywhere with the history.. XD, but yes it is irritating.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 PM

I care-less about the origin and history of things... x.x

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM

X)

I find it fascinating. Guess that's why part of me always wished I went to college to become an Anthropologist.

The history of everything is what defines us as humans. And the history of Holidays just displays how different things have become from then and now with the ways humans have A)changed, or B) simply forgotten what the holiday symbolized.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:34 PM

i like to know about things

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:38 PM

I think I like to understand things more than anything.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM

i would love to be able to wear blue. i have more blue clothes >.>

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM

I like to know about things I am interested in.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:48 PM

so what are you interested in? :]

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM

MYSTERIES!
Like, Aztec, Maya, Inca, Pyramid, myths, legend...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM

oooo those are some good things to like. cryptids to? Like bigfoot and such things?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 03:03 PM

Not so much on the animals.
I prefer the gods. XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 03:10 PM

Ah okay. :] mysteries usually fascinate me as well.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 03:13 PM

the BERMUDA Triangle!
the sunken land!

Velvet
☆♥☆♥

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Mysteries are very interesting. Which, I also enjoy the legends and myths of certain creatures as well. And things like Croatoan and Easter Island.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM

the sunken land? Atlantis?

Croatoan? is that the one super peaceful place near Greece that just poofed?

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM

Do you know? there are OVER 200 sunken cities in mediterranean sea! O__O