Pink
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 03-24-2007, 04:08 AM

I know people might find this odd...But "The Giver" is still my favorite book of all time. It's like a 6th grade reading level and I'm a jr in college, but I can't help it. Everything about it captures me. I think the concept is the main factor there, the fact that the community is so...lead.

And of course I love the Harry Potter books, the way she writes is wonderful, I feel like I'm watching a movie when I read them...which is why I didn't like watching the movies they totally destoryed my little movies in my head.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-24-2007, 09:34 PM

I read "The Giver" in 6th grade, and it really -touched- me, in a way.
At the same time though, it disturbed me, and I can say that it's not a book I would want to read for the second time.

Simplixity
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 PM

I think that I've read so many books that I don't have any favorites...but here goes:

The Hobbit
Pride and Prejudice
My Side of the Mountain
Harry Potter and the Socerer's Stone + Prisoner of Azkaban + Goblet of Fire
Journey to the West (original chinese version)
Summer of Riley

Yes, it weird because they're such a diverse group, and some are really for children, but I believe that a good book is timeless.

psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipyun
Hmm my favorite books is Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I love his books.
I concur. ^^

I also love Terry Pratchett books. Pride and Prejudice is another favorite as well as The Winter Prince. And Ella Enchanted will always, always, always be one of my loves. <3

Chimama
⊙ω⊙

Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink
I know people might find this odd...But "The Giver" is still my favorite book of all time.
That book was something else. My daughter brought it home to read for school and I could not resist. Great story

fawN
*^_^*

Old 03-26-2007, 04:59 PM

I love The Giver too! It's short enough to where I can read it in a day if I'm not disturbed, and I have read it 3 times now, I think, and keep feeling like reading it again!

My other favorite books are The Mists of Avalon, The Island of the Blue Dolphins (which I've probably re-read more than any other book!), The Harry Potter series, and Artemis Fowl series.

Szinriia
Procrastinator

Old 05-10-2007, 03:22 PM

My absolute favourite book is 'Johnny got his Gun' by Dalton Trumbo. I certainly don't think it is for everyone though!

.p.uddin.g.
Dead Account Holder
n/a

Old 05-12-2007, 07:57 AM

'the dark hills divide'
lyk it because it was a bday present from my friend
and the first book about magic i have
>___<
well then i lyk jean ure's books

wispytearz
\ (•◡•) /
Send a message via AIM to wispytearz Send a message via MSN to wispytearz Send a message via Yahoo to wispytearz

Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM

My absolute favorite book is The Ruins of Ambrai by Melanie Rawn and the sequel is a close second, The Mageborn Traitor. The Exiles series (those two and the third yet-to-be-released) is the first and only series I've read where a matriarchal society was done right. Anytime I read about matriarchal societies, they're presented as the Amazon stereotype. Women aren't men, plain and simple and that's cool. We have all sorts of strengths that could enable us to lead a society and Melanie Rawn uses that in these books.
They also have some of the most alluring characters. Rawn builds beautiful, well-developed characters that you fall in love with, or loathe, but they demand your emotions.

I also really enjoyed the first two or three books in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. The first of these, Wizard's First Rule was an excellent book that keep me up many nights because I just couldn't put it down. The second was of the same quality and the third was pretty close. However, there are several books after that which were severely lacking in substance.
I had the pleasure of meting Mr. Goodkind at a book signing and was able to talk with him for a bit as I was last in line. When I asked him for tips on writing (as I aspire to be published one day) he told me how it took him his whole life (almost 50 years) to write the first few books and get even one published, but after that, he was putting out close to a book a year because of the demands of his publisher. I credit this for the quality (or lack thereof) in his more recent books.

Another great book is Silverlock by John Myers Myers. It's very original and keeps up a fast pace without losing the reader.

Ellendar
Dead Account Holder

Old 05-16-2007, 01:08 PM

Being a little bit of a fantasy nut my choices are a bit steirotype...

However I love Terry Goodkind, (especially his earlier books.)

Additionally Terry Brooks, I don't like his new stuff, and have a little bit of a hard time going back and rereading his stuff now that I've found better, but that man single handedly inspired my love of reading as a child with The Sword of Shanara It's your classic tale of men elfs and dwarfs, a mysterious magic user, and everything else you would expect.

However the big winner for me would have to be David Eddings. Most people I speak to that have read him prefer his Belgariad(sp) series. Personally as much as I enjoyed those, the winner goes to The Elenium and The Tamuli By the end of ther series the charechters were so well fleshed out and felt so real that I swear they could have hopped out of the books and survived in a little coven in northern Ireland just fine. Yep it's another fantasy series, but with awsome charechters and a bit of a suitiably darker feeling, and everyone seems so human in the series. You don't get the feeling that any one charechter is more than human, and indestrutable. I didn't get the feeling that charechter x, y, or z was immune from danger through plot device, logically they are, but it does not give the feeling as such. The charechters are badass, but still human, still emotional, still alive.

I suppose you've heard enough poorly written fanboyisim from me by now so I'll leave my post as that which it is.

Rin Namami
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rin Namami

Old 05-16-2007, 03:52 PM

My favourite books right now are the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan and Jane Austen's novels.

L o g a n
hay

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM

Hmm, I like the series of unfortunate events. I liked the movie too. Also, I've read Harry Potter, but never the Lord of the Rings. I don't know why. x_x

Some Random Randomness
Absolutely Malignificient King o...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 PM

I'm re-re-re-re-re-reading to the power of 10 the book a Wrinkle in Time. It was written back in like 1960 but it's still an awesome book. It was written by Madeleine L'Engle and is a children's book.

Rurouni Kenshin
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Rurouni Kenshin

Old 05-16-2007, 09:51 PM

My favorite book series would have to be Rurouni Kenshin, hence why I made my name Rurouni Kenshin. The reason is because I love the characters and the plotline has leaves cliffhangers, which I love because then it convinces me to keep on reading it.

Adrian
(-.-)zzZ
n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrian

Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM

uhmmm... The Secret is pretty good

whyyesican
(-.-)zzZ
Banned

Old 05-17-2007, 03:13 PM

Thank You For Smoking
The Hobbit
The Lord Of The Rings
The Return of the King
Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
The Prestige
The Iron Ring
King Dork
Artemis Fowl and The Opal Deception
Artemis Fowl and The Eternity Code
The Persuader
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Memoirs of a Geisha
The Davinci Code
You Suck: A Love Story
A Wrinkle In Time

Zakuro
n/a
Send a message via AIM to Zakuro Send a message via MSN to Zakuro

Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellendar
However the big winner for me would have to be David Eddings. Most people I speak to that have read him prefer his Belgariad(sp) series. Personally as much as I enjoyed those, the winner goes to The Elenium and The Tamuli By the end of ther series the charechters were so well fleshed out and felt so real that I swear they could have hopped out of the books and survived in a little coven in northern Ireland just fine. Yep it's another fantasy series, but with awsome charechters and a bit of a suitiably darker feeling, and everyone seems so human in the series. You don't get the feeling that any one charechter is more than human, and indestrutable. I didn't get the feeling that charechter x, y, or z was immune from danger through plot device, logically they are, but it does not give the feeling as such. The charechters are badass, but still human, still emotional, still alive.
The Elenium and The Tamuli are my favorite books as well and have been since I was nine years old. I'm glad to see another fan on here.

Aosagi
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-19-2007, 07:03 AM

I feel like I'm the only one on the planet who sais this but my favorite books are Mask of the Sorcerer and Sekenre: Book of the Sorcerer by Darrell Schweitzer. Everything about them both is just amazing, and it's sad because I've not met one person who's read them or heard of them unless I've braught them up previously. :cry: . I have other top books, like the hitchhiker series, The Silent Strength of Stones (another odd one that I can never find anyone whos ever read it). But they'll never top the sorcerer books.

eviloldaccount
Dead Account Holder
n/a
Send a message via MSN to eviloldaccount

Old 05-19-2007, 10:48 AM

I really love anytype of books as long as it is not romance. Fantisy is my fav and love Tamora Peirce and of corse Harry Potter.

I love A MidSummers Night Dream (SP) and heaps of other books as well.

Toxic Holocaust
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to Toxic Holocaust

Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 AM

My current favorite book is "You can read ANYONE"

Showed me ways of making my self look confident, and showing it, not just thinking you are. I can keep going, but you can just go check out the reviews somewhere.

Krystyne
\ (•◡•) /

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM

"Finding Hope" and the "Losing Christine" series...I can't remember the authors' names, though. @_@;

Also, "Monster" by Frank Peretti, and almost the entire collection of Edgar Allan Poe's stories and poems. <3

noirette
⊙ω⊙

Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Wow. Hmmm...

My favorite teen authors (I gave them up a couple of years ago, but their tattered books linger on my shelves for memories sake) are definitely Sharon Creech and Sarah Dessen. Bloomability and Someone Like You influenced me in loads of ways, which is probably the highest compliment an author can get.

My favorite book of all time, hands down, is Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell. I've heard people say it's dull, it's too long, whatever. It's wonderful for me: almost 900 pages to just LIVE in for a week or so. You should read it if you like Harry Potter or Neil Gaiman or Jane Austen.

Other books that I adore are The Once and Future King by T H White, Wicked by Maguire, and Good Omens. I love Gaiman and Pratchett separately, but together they're the perfect collaboration team.

Lockedtower
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 AM

Omg, nobody mentioned Stephen King.

He is easily one of the best authors of our times. The way he writes is magic. He can say so much with such little words. Its just incredible. You become part of his world.

His best books are obviously the Dark Tower. Its a mix of Fantasy, Science Fiction, Romance and much more. Not only that but all of his books are connected to the Tower. I can honestly say that those books affected me deeply, in the way that I can say taht there was my life before the Dark Tower and after it. I waited years and years for the books to come out, I wanted it to end, but at the same time I didnt. I have read many of the other books and authors beforementioned, but for some reason, I consider his writting better than most.

He has written many other great books besides the Dark Tower series. I just finished Lisey´s Story. A great romantic Story.

Stephen King seems to be a highly dynamic writer, and unlike most authors, he seems to get better as he gets older.

I would highly suggest people to read his newer stuff, Like lisey´story, the girl who loved tom gordon, and cell to mention some.

Elie Mei
(-.-)zzZ
n/a

Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 AM

It's been a while since I read it, but Big Fish by Daniel Wallace (yes, the book the Tim Burton movie was based on...they're really different, but both amazing) is probably my favorite book ever.

Chocolat by Joanne Harris and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey are also great... Two books I was required to read for my contemporary literature class in high school. I really didn't like that class, so they were kind of 'ruined' for me, though. :\

The Discworld and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series were great as well, although I think I enjoy the humor in them more than the writing iteslf. :)

Runihura
⊙ω⊙
Send a message via Yahoo to Runihura

Old 05-25-2007, 12:34 PM

Well I really like Piers Anthony and Anne Rice. They're my favorite. Sensual dark stories and puns aren't normally put together but I think both writers are very clever and a lot of fun to read.