Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 PM

2014 started off with a bang, hanging out with an unexpectedly mixed group of new and old friends that even a few hours earlier I wouldn't have expected to be with.

While watching the fireworks display in the city together I felt optimistic that even though I don't know what the future holds for me this year I will take each day as it comes and expect the unexpected and see the positive perspective.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 01-04-2014, 04:14 PM

hope 2014 is a spectacular year, Ling♥Ling!

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 AM

You should be a pessimist! They're ALWAYS happy!

99% of the time, they're right! and the 1% of the time they're not, they're pleasantly surprised!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks hummy hope 2014 will be a good year for you too

Haha! What an interesting point of view Drop Bear...but actually I think I am optimistic in nature most of the time.

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 01-11-2014, 03:43 AM

optimists are good, until they stop being realistic! :P

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 AM

Yes, once someone loses touch with reality either through extreme optimism or pessimism...they need help.

In other relevant news:

This year has already been an interesting one, at least in terms of plans for the rest of the year...I will go on an overseas holiday, leaving some time next month. I'll see extended family who live there and another relative who will also be there for the first few days of my time there...

I will most likely go to two birthday celebrations before the end of this month and still contemplating going to a high school reunion too...

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 AM

Oh cool! Any hints where youre going OS?

And highschool reunions blow IMO. Im not going to my 10yr one this year because I didnt like most of the people I went to school with, why would I go back to spend more time with them?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-18-2014, 03:28 AM

Drop Bear, I'll be going to Asia...

I was invited to the high school reunion on a group in Facebook, there are not many people who have confirmed that they'll be going and I've only said 'Maybe'.

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 01-18-2014, 06:44 AM

Yeah thats how they made ours... I had a quick sticky to see who I remembered and a half dozen of the hundred or so going looked familiar, and I didnt like those pricks anyways so I'll be damned if I'm going.

Asia, however, sounds like a top time! You'll have a lot of fun over there. My GFs mothers BF is working over in China at the moment instructing chinese labourers how to do stuff I believe. He works in manufacturing.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 AM

I went to a friend's birthday party last night. It was far up north in a place I'd never been before. There was a lot of food, apparently the birthday friend had spent hours just preparing it all...one of those people who just appreciates the company of friends

And yes, I think the trip to Asia will be good.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 AM

30 January 2014

These past few days...starting from last Saturday (25 January 2014) have been very interesting.

High School Reunion

I ended up going to the High School Reunion on the Saturday, partially because it was in a very public and casual setting where there would've been hustle bustle of people regardless and partially because I would've gone there, the central business district of the city, later on anyway...for a group dinner with friends.

So, the reunion, was interesting, despite few people actually gathering for it. Initially because of the crowd I couldn't see any familiar faces...I think I did see a couple of classmates but couldn't confirm it was them before they left the place...so if it was them they probably were there for the festivities rather than the reunion...

I bought a drink and stood in the shade of a tree, listening to the live music and looking around the crowd, who were, for the most part, relaxed and chilled in their comfortable spots...sitting or standing. I took my time drinking the drink, being a can of carbonated drink...I would've taken my time drinking it anyway. Interestingly enough, I chose this moment to confirm my attendance to the reunion on facebook despite not seeing anyone...and after waiting a while longer, I had decided that maybe it wasn't happening or people just weren't going to rock up, so I was just about to leave when I suddenly heard my name being called from behind...turned around, and the one who called my name was a fair few metres away, so I wasn't sure until I took note of the group of others she was with and also the flailing wave of her arm made it evident that she was calling me and that that small group were the former classmates who were there for the reunion.

Among the group, I could recognise and name most by first look at face alone...one by face but only remembered the first letter of the name, the two who I didn't recognise initially and even after hearing their names didn't recall were two of the students I hardly had anything to do with in school days and their appearance changed dramatically (particulary hair style and colour)... We chatted, mainly about what people are doing these days, study, career/work, relationships and parenthood...that type of thing...there was a bit of talk and asking around about the other classmates who weren't there...and sort of 'who knows what happened to _____and who's kept in contact with ______, did you know that this happened to _____'

Thing is that none of the friends from high school that I've maintained contact with were present, so they did direct the questions about my friends to me...I did not elaborate on any details, didn't feel it was my place to do so. And just when I thought it wasn't going to be brought up, the topic of a classmate who had died in an accident just two years after we graduated was mentioned too.

I knew about the incident that year only because the circumstances were so tragic that it made news in the local paper, with a photo of her next to the article...apparently for those who were close to her in high school, the funeral was a sad reunion of sorts too...

I ended up adding one of them as a facebook friend, because I remember talking to her in high school in classes and extra curricular activities we had in common but never saw her again until the Saturday...and despite the many years past her, and a successful career, her mannerisms were amusingly very much the same in a social setting as they were when she was in school.

Friend's Birthday Dinner
Same Saturday as the High School Reunion, and physical location only a 10 minute walk distance away from the reunion site...I caught up with a few good friends to celebrate the birthday of one of them. Surprisingly there were interesting discussions had about society and bigger picture social issues, among the typical catch up talk.

Australia Day, Public Holiday
This year's Australia Day was on the Sunday, and because Australia Day is a National Public Holiday the actual public holiday was actually on the following Monday. Temperature wise, it was a very hot and sunny day. I ended up going to a friends' place, just to hang out and to teach one of them how to make a decorative craft piece that she had said she wanted to learn after seeing one I had made earlier. Somehow we ended up sharing things about our childhood and adolescence that we didn't know about each other before, and surprisingly we had things in common even though we didn't know each other as children or teenagers.

~~~

Somehow, those three events I've mentioned and the conversations that were had have made me reflect on events past...kind of like the 'whole life flash before the eyes' type thing...only instead of feelings of regret or disappointment I feel a sense of acceptance and appreciation that in a way being able to cope with and get over terrible things that had occurred in the past, have shaped who I am and have been valuable life lessons if not anything else.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 02-13-2014, 09:59 AM

13 February 2014

So, I'd been still in a strangely reflective mood, thinking about all sorts of things relating to schooling, after finally being able to complete a university degree and all the obstacles and challenges I'd faced that meant it took me as long as it did to finally achieve that childhood dream of mine.

Fun stuff, had a good laugh at times thinking about the events that probably traumatised me at the time...and probably looked like a fool when these laughing fits happened in public places...never mind. I've come to accept that people do think I'm weird, so as long as I'm aware and maintain a sense of logical and reason in my thinking; it doesn't really matter what people who don't know me think so much...

Things have settled down and these past few days I've been packing and getting ready for my overseas trip...should be fun. Leave tomorrow...

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 PM

I'm glad your school reunion went well. I'm really nervous because my five year reunion is coming up soon. And I don't know if I'll even get an invite since my classmates are some of the worst people in the world. If I get invited, I'm going to go. Because despite hating them during school, I'm still a better person than them and will happily go and show off how awesome my life is. xD I mean.... see if they've changed and finally hit maturity.

Drop Bear
The myth or the legend?

Penpal

Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 AM

Have fun on your trip LingLing! Hopefully we get to see some piccy's when you get back?

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 02-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
I'm glad your school reunion went well. I'm really nervous because my five year reunion is coming up soon. And I don't know if I'll even get an invite since my classmates are some of the worst people in the world. If I get invited, I'm going to go. Because despite hating them during school, I'm still a better person than them and will happily go and show off how awesome my life is. xD I mean.... see if they've changed and finally hit maturity.
Hey Shadami: I remember there being talk of a 5 year high school reunion with my classmates too, didn't end up happening as far as I know...and this 10 year reunion could've been a huge flop, and probably would've been considered so in terms of turn out vs number of people invited...

And honestly, I was hesitant to go for similar reasons as you, and also went for the reason that I'd changed and become a better person partly because of my experiences at school.

What was also interesting is that in the weeks before and after the actual reunion I'd caught up with friends from high school, by phone or facebook at least, and surprisingly saw or bumped into a whole lot of other classmates who I had no contact with since high school days...such a weird coincidence but not that surprising in many ways because I still live in the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop Bear View Post
Have fun on your trip LingLing! Hopefully we get to see some piccy's when you get back?
So far so good Drop Bear! Such a huge difference in culture and lifestyle here...very fast paced, lots of people in busy places and times and physically there is a LOT crammed in a smaller land space, it's very interesting...and still surprising even though the experience was much the same last time I came.

Also, the petrol stations have workers who fill the tank for you and as a customer, all you have to do is pay the one who provides the service of filling the tank

I'll be sure to take more pictures of the surroundings and post them here.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 02-22-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling View Post
Hey Shadami: I remember there being talk of a 5 year high school reunion with my classmates too, didn't end up happening as far as I know...and this 10 year reunion could've been a huge flop, and probably would've been considered so in terms of turn out vs number of people invited...

And honestly, I was hesitant to go for similar reasons as you, and also went for the reason that I'd changed and become a better person partly because of my experiences at school.

What was also interesting is that in the weeks before and after the actual reunion I'd caught up with friends from high school, by phone or facebook at least, and surprisingly saw or bumped into a whole lot of other classmates who I had no contact with since high school days...such a weird coincidence but not that surprising in many ways because I still live in the same place.

So far so good Drop Bear! Such a huge difference in culture and lifestyle here...very fast paced, lots of people in busy places and times and physically there is a LOT crammed in a smaller land space, it's very interesting...and still surprising even though the experience was much the same last time I came.

Also, the petrol stations have workers who fill the tank for you and as a customer, all you have to do is pay the one who provides the service of filling the tank

I'll be sure to take more pictures of the surroundings and post them here.
i haven't changed. i'm hoping that they have xD i liked... maybe 10 people in my class of 150+

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 AM

17 April 2014

This year has definitely been surprisingly eventful so far.

I had initially thought that things would start to mellow and become a tad more boring...not yet it seems..even a month down the track from when I returned from my 30 day overseas holiday.

I had my university graduation ceremony a few days after I got back from my holiday which is probably my proudest day so far. Because for me, finishing a university degree has been a childhood dream of mine and it took many more years to achieve than anticipated, but I finally did it and the graduation ceremony was a day to celebrate it.

I also dropped by unannounced to the venue to see my friends' come out from their own graduation ceremony wearing their academic dress. It was the morning after my own and I only found out because it was in the graduation ceremony schedule book that we were all given.

So that was an interesting way to see those friends for the first time after returning from my trip and they were pleasantly surprised I'm sure.

I've been to my first baby shower ever and had a great time catching up with my mother-to-be friend and her other close female friends. Funnily enough, one of them was an old primary school friend so bit of an unexpected 'reunion' with her. We established that neither of us really hang out with our best friends from primary school days...which is rather interesting.

In these past few weeks since returning I have been going out a fair bit to do things that need to be done, not specifically to meet friends or see the many unexpected changes in the local area...but those things have happened too, which is rather amusing.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Aren't baby showers fun!

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 AM

They are! It's probably the first time I've been to a gathering surrounded by soo many young women and girls...and no boys or men around at all.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 AM

My hubby went to our baby shower >:D it was amusing.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 04-28-2014, 11:07 PM

Shadami: was your husband the only male at your baby shower?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 04-29-2014, 01:56 AM

yes he was :]

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 05-04-2014, 06:19 AM

That's kind of cute Shadami...

Now then...

4 May 2014
I got a camera while I was overseas and ever since I got it I've been having a whole lot of fun taking photos of my surroundings and interesting sights wherever I go...and I've been going out a lot lately for job hunting purposes and fun...exploring my city.

Yesterday there was an Open House event in my city which involves seeing usually blocked off areas behinds the scenes areas of the city...so I went to the highest level in city...which is not tall at all compared to the multilevel storey skyscrapers in the big cities but nevertheless it's the tallest building here...so good views.

Went to the government house...the fancy schmancy classical style residence of the governor...had lunch at a regional food, wine and produce festival that just happened to be happening near one of the places we went to...unexpectedly expensive food stall food essentially...and also went inside a local community radio station.

Walked around all over and had fun doing so...

Last edited by Ling; 05-11-2014 at 11:14 AM..

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 AM

11 May 2014

I didn't buy anything for my mother this year for Mothers' Day this year. Instead I made a simple card for her with simple drawn depictions of us as our inside joke animal versions of the two of us and I wrote a note/letter in Chinese...she liked it, and she also liked that I tagged her in a facebook post of a public display oversized heart shaped boquet which said "Happy Mothers' Day‘ written on it.

Considering it'd been rainy even just yesterday...the sunny day with light breeze and comfortable temperatures made it a good day to go out, which we did too, as a family.

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 PM

aw, how sweet, Ling♥Ling
does we has pictures