Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-07-2017, 01:13 AM

"It is hard for me to imagine my life being different than it is now. I've barely left this temple my whole life, and you must have seen as you travelled through the countryside. We're pretty isolated out here. There's a few townships nearby, but even then they are small. I can't see how my duty would be anything but to be here, taking care of this little slice of what the gods' have created." His words were honest as he spoke. He felt such a sense of peace here at the temple that it felt like it would always be his purpose in life, no matter in what ways in changed. After all, he'd barely ever left it and certainly never more for a day. He knew the world was growing endlessly more modern around them, but sometimes, within the walls of the temple it felt like he was sheltered in a place from a distant, less complicated past.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 PM

Wufei smiled, enjoying the softness of Isamu's words. The more they talked, the more he felt himself understand. More than just the words being spoken, but the implications behind them, as truthful as the man who spoke them. "I wanted to grow rice. My parents would grow old and I would take care of them in the same house they raised me and their parents raised them. Until the day I died, I would grow rice in the humid sun, never missing a thing..." He shook his head. "I envy you the purpose that your life has. Of all the places in the world to never leave, this is one of the best." If he didn't miss his own home so much, he might want to stay here forever as well. However, he knew that for both him and Isamu, it would never end well. He needed to leave as soon as safety and rest permitted, lest he never feel like leaving at all.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM

Isamu nodded along as he listened to Wufei. The life he had imagined didn't seem that much different to him. Even if it didn't have the same sacred implications. But it wasn't much different, a simple life in the countryside guarding your ancestor's heritage. It was a respectful life if nothing else. "You know, growing food, providing, is not without it's own sacred purpose. You're feeding people and that is always an important duty to the world. I do wish you can return to that life and that purpose. It is a respectful one, and far better than being a victim to this senseless war."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Even having known this person only a single day, Wufei didn't feel the least bit surprised at Isamu's words. "I expect that everything has some purpose to you. I see only the purpose that exits in the natural order of things. Man grows the rice. He eats it, loves it, dies and eventually becomes part of it. Rice is like our religion." He smiled at the thought, knowing it wasn't the truest truth in his country, but that no one would deny him his words either. At the very least, rice would always remain important. Only in times like this did the fields lay fallow. "Do you think of me as a victim?" he asked after a second of silence. It was a strange thought and stranger still to single it out, tilting his head slightly to the side in question. Although war hurt him greatly and perhaps even crushed his soul, he never assigned the word 'victim' to himself.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 PM

"But it is that very cyclical nature of it that makes what should seem a simple task so sacred. The gods' created the cycle, and it is our duty as part of their creations to be part of that cycle. You are guarding your own slice of their creation." He smiled as he said this, not sure if Wufei understood his meaning, but certain in his heart that those words were true. The gods made everything and part of that creation was the duties of humanity.

He paused before answering Wufei's second question, when he finally spoke his words were carefully chosen, but no less honest, "Are you not a prisoner of this war? Who has been taken from your home, whether by choice or not, it still has taken you away. To only be captured by the enemy and tortured? I do believe in some ways that must make you a victim. But further than that, I believe we are all in ways victims of this war. It has disrupted our way of life, and disrupted our life cycles. Disrupted that very plan the gods have. It is man's choice to were, not the gods' intention, I believe. And for that, all of us must be in some way victims."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-09-2017, 12:03 PM

Wufei wondered if he heard Isamu's words correctly. It seemed like such a typical stance where war was concerned, but also not. He took it too far to say that war made them all victims. Maybe from the outside, looking in, it appeared that way, but from Wufei's spot on the inside, he felt none of the appropriate emotions of a victim. "Maybe you are right. Maybe you are wrong," he murmured finally, having let a silence fall between them. "But is not being a victim far more than circumstance? Victim is..." he struggled for another second as he tried to figure out how to say what he wanted and them how to put it into the exact words. A part of him thought that none of the Japanese words fit just what he tried to say. "Victim is not how the world sees you. It is how you see the world. People make you a victim because they give you pity." That one word, pity, was the root of it all.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-09-2017, 09:47 PM

"I think victim may depend on a matter of perspective. Others besides me may see you as a victim, even if you do not. And that may be out of pity. Or it may be because all those who are harmed are in some ways victims. Whether they feel that or not." He paused, his whole body serene despite the serious nature of their conversation, "And perhaps I do pity you in some way. But I do not feel that that is a bad thing. It is natural to feel sorry for those who have been given a worse outlook than yourself. It's a way of caring."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-10-2017, 01:58 AM

Despite their heavy words, a calmness covered the two sitting among the lotus flowers. Rather than a caretaker and an escaped prisoner or war, they felt like two monks sitting under a tree, debating the facts of life like they had for the last fifty years. The thought struck Wufei, almost unsettling him before he accepted it and moved on. "In moments like this, I don't feel like I've been hurt. I wonder if it's just this garden." Leaning back to look at the wide sky above, a quirk of a smile on his lips, he thought about that for a minute. Here, his last few months didn't exist at all. He was closer to home with each second more that he stayed here. The thought saddened him in a way, but still the smile flashed over his lips. "I'm probably just wishful. It will come back to me in the middle of the night when there is no one there to distract me."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 PM

"There is peace to be found in this garden always. The beauty and the sweet scent of the lotus; it is peaceful, and it does heal wounds." Isamu said, looking around the garden with a sense of pride. Even if he had not created the garden; as it's caretaker, it always felt good to know that the garden was appreciated and that it could help others. "But if you do not feel like a victim, perhaps it speaks to your own strength. You must be a strong man to survive and escape and still see the beauty in the world. There is much to be admired in those traits." He smiled at Wufei as he said this, a part of him starting to feel fond of this stranger who had surprised him so this morning. It also made him want to sit in the garden and talk for hours.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-11-2017, 05:01 PM

A faint smile quirked over Wufei's lips. He heard words such as these before. He was strong. He must be to still stay calm and composed on the outside, like he didn't witness war close at hand, so very close. "Yes, I suppose you are right," he hummed. "We'll just blame it on the gardens here and not my own strength though. I....I've been strong for others all the way until now, so I don't feel so happy to hear that. Now I only want to be strong for myself." He shook his head, a serious look replacing his smile. "But you know, I did not stumble on this garden, I think I would have broke. All those reserves of strength and peace inside of me were getting so empty. With just a glance at these flowers so like the one I love most, I felt it all fill once more though." That, that was real power of this temple's garden.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-13-2017, 12:56 AM

"I really am glad these gardens can help you in some way. Even if I did not create them, and have no real power of them as their caretaker. It is nice to know that this space the gods has entrusted to me and my family can provide the peace. And that as it's caretaker I can have some part in that peace granted," his face was soft as he said this, though it was hard to see in the gathering darkness, and he knew his time talking to the other man must soon end, at least for the evening. "And I hope your time here, however long it may be, can rejuvenate you for the journey home."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-13-2017, 02:53 AM

Wufei smiled and for a second, he just let those words hang over them, feeling no need to ruin their softness with a response. However, he felt the moment ending with the gathering dark. Without thinking, he reached out and grasped Isamu's hand. He just knew he didn't want the daydream to end. He didn't want Isamu to go and as quick as the emotion seized him, he'd moved. Now, with a sudden thud of his heart, he found his hand firmly grasping the other man's with warmth racing up through his veins. It surprised him, but all thrilled his soul.

"S...Sorry. I don't know why I did that. I just....wanted you to keep saying more." Even if it wasn't practical, he wished he could stay up all through the night talking with Isamu. Although they only met that day, he felt such a draw to him that he didn't think he could ignore. He wanted to be in the presence of this other man. Maybe it was that he felt the same as the soul-rejuvenating garden. Maybe it was something more. He didn't care really, as long as they stayed like this, so at peace.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-13-2017, 12:31 PM

Isamu stared at their clasped hands with wide eyes, his entire arm tingling from the contact. He didn't draw his hand away, even though perhaps he should. But something about the feeling of the contact took over him, freezing him for several moments. Eventually, he felt his face and body begin to warm, going red all over, but he still couldn't find words to react or move. Slowly, he smiled, forcing words out slowly even as he left their hands entwined, "It is okay. I do not think I mind. And I am glad that my words can provide you such comfort."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 PM

Very carefully watching the emotions wash over Isamu's face, Wufei marveled at them. Did Isamu feel the same strange pull that he did? The strange pull that made him want to do even more absurd things than this? He kept those desires buried though, not even letting them out enough to know exactly what they were or why he felt them. This moment already felt so perfect that more would destroy it. Not wanting that, he just smiled like the sun rose above them instead of stars. "Then I think we should just leave this not minding as our secret. It is funny, I know you should leave soon so no one suspects that I am here, but I also want very much for you to stay. Is that a strange contradiction?"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 PM

Eventually, Isamu smiled in return at Wufei, the shock of the sudden touch slowly fading into a kind of contentment at contact with the other, especially the longer their hands were clasped. It was an emotion he decided not to exam too closely, not sure what he would find at the end of that line. Not sure if it was something he wanted to confront or not. It was just one more strange thing about this man in front of him. "I do not find it strange, but then I can't find it strange since I feel the same way. I should return home as my parents will worry if I'm out too long past dark, even if I have not left the temple grounds. But I find myself wanting to sit here and talk with you all night."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-14-2017, 01:50 PM

Wufei hummed in response, simply echoing Isamu's words with affirmation. They were the same. Even if they couldn't say exactly what this was between them, they both felt it and that counted for far enough. He sighed, squeezing Isamu's hands before finally pulling them away. The touch of their fingers trailing together made him want to grasp them together again, but he resisted as logic won out. "You should go then. I'll still be here tomorrow after all. It is a son's duty not to make his parent's worry. I would hate to be something that stood in the way of that." Even if he wanted Isamu to stay. Even if he wanted far more than he could ever have. For now, he knew it was best to let go.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-14-2017, 06:19 PM

Isamu's hand spasmed as Wufei pulled his hand away, fingers grasping his tightly for a second, before letting them slip away. The absence of his hand's warmth, left his hold body feeling cold. But the peaceful smile remained on his face. Even if he did need to leave, and they must part. He could always return tomorrow. Isamu pushed himself to standing, gathering the bowls of food he'd brought with him, but leaving the other supplies for Wufei. He stared at the other man for a few moments, feeling like he should be doing something else but not sure what. "I will see you in the morning then. Rest well."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-14-2017, 09:52 PM

Wufei nodded his head once, a soft smile on his face. Indeed, he would still be here tomorrow so there was no need to rush whatever closeness they might be craving. When he still felt so safe, he didn't need to run. Lie low, yes, that was what he intended to do here. "Of course. Sleep well, Isamu," he murmured back with a small dip of his head. "I will look forward to the morning light." With that, he left their conversation end. No more clinging. Running his hand over his leg, he tried to forget the warmth from a second ago. That's right, he only needed to get through this night before morning came again and he would get to see Isamu then. Just survive the night.

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Isamu walked away from steps reluctant as he moved away from the garden and the overwhelming sense of belonging that came with being near the other man. And as he walked away, he finally let the thoughts he'd pushed down early fully arrive. What was it about the other man that made him feel so right? It could simply be because the man had been blessed by the gods, but that really had nothing to do with his reactions to their hands touching. The way his body had felt at that touch, as if everything in him had been alight and attuned to the person before him. It was frightening, but also wonderful. It made him want to experiment more, see if his body reacted to Wufei in other ways. And still he found himself wanting to know the other man even more. He was guaranteed to return to the garden many times in the days to come. As he felt a need to learn and know this stranger better than any being he'd ever met. It was these thoughts that he finally returned to the main house, bidding his parents good night, so he may sleep for another day and more time with Wufei.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-16-2017, 12:38 AM

Wufei watched Isamu's retreating figure down the path, feeling much like he had watching the man go that morning. Now that the sun set in darkness though, he felt more alone. While he didn't fear the nightmares or even those haunting dreams of warmth that vanished when he woke, he feared what the shadows might bring. Real fears as well as unreal ones. Finally, he sighed and stepped out of his den. He collected the blankets and clothes, wrapping himself up more warmly for the night. He felt thankful for it now, though it felt like more blessings that he didn't need at the time. However, with his recent sleep still fueling his body, he felt no need for it now. So off he went into the garden, wishing only to know more of where he stood. Motion to keep his thoughts at bay.

The water felt colder than he expected when he toed it with his shoe, so he skirted the pool and instead followed the stream away from the garden's center. All around him the night felt alive. Dense, but alive, even as it pushed down on him from all sides like it might swallow him. Eventually, he came to a small pavilion that overlooked the garden. Though not far away in actual distance, the path wound in the sort of patterns that only monks understood. Once under the wooden beams though, he turned to the garden just behind him, the water gleaming with the light of the stars. Night fully fell as he walked so he stepped into the pavilion for shelter instead.

The bite of the wind seemed to instantly drop away once inside. It still waved the charms hanging at the entrance, but far more gently than outside. He shed the blanket to look around in awe. An alter stood in the middle, incense still smouldering on top. Even without thinking, he found his feet walking toward it. The gentle breeze spurred him on. It was strange. He didn't know this god. He couldn't even say for sure what this temple celebrated and for what kind of reason, but it spoke to him still so that he found himself stirring the incense, sending more of the pungent smoke into the air.

"I wonder, did you bring me here for a reason, whatever god you are? I don't know if it's okay for me to pray to you, but I suppose I'm under your care now either way." A tinkling sound drifted from the entrance, seeming to encourage his words. He didn't bother trying to speak in any complex way and said his prayer in his own language. It was truer that way and he enjoyed the way his native language sounded into the echoes off the wood. "I guess all I'm saying is...thank you." Pulling out the lotus bloom he plucked earlier, he placed it in the the incense bowl, watching it wither and add its own sweet scent to the air without fully dissolving away. The flower saved his life. Now it was time to give it back. With a last sigh, he turned away to head back down the garden path. As he exited the temple, the tinkling answered him again and he imagined somewhere in the heavens, a Japanese god smiled.

Last edited by Kat Dakuu; 04-28-2018 at 12:16 AM..

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-17-2017, 11:32 PM

Isamu slept peacefully that night, the contentment from his two meetings with Wufei settling into his bones and dragging him into sleep and keeping him there. His dreams were filled with flashes of the day prior, as if attempting to reinforce the need to be close to the other man, so that when Isamu woke in the morning his first instinct was to head straight out to the garden. He didn't, but just barely. Instead, he settled in for the normal daily breakfast with his parents. All of them discussing the required chores for the day, before setting out on their own tasks.

It was then that Isamu grabbed some of the remaining food from the breakfast, plus some fruit from the kitchen to head back out to the garden where Wufei was hidden. He could complete his duties later in the day, for now he wanted to see Wufei and explore more about the man and the relationship that was developing between them.

His steps were serene as he walked to the lotus garden, easily caring him without worry or trepidation, instead a joy and lightness filled his heart. As if this very visit with the other man could fill him with energy to get through the day, no matter what else he encountered through the day. Walking into the lotus garden, he looked around seeing if he could spot the other man, before gently calling out, voice soft so as to not carry into other parts of the temple, "Wufei. I've brought you some breakfast, and I hope we can talk some more."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Wufei heard the faint call of another's voice so he stood, flinging water back from him. He stood knee-deep in the stream at its deepest point, his shirt folded by the flowers and water dripping out of his hair from where he submerged himself a second earlier. A smile flashed across his face. "Isamu. Good morning." He looked down at himself, feeling awkward for a second before he stepped from the stream. Every pore on his body felt alive because of it though and he hesitated to put his shirt back on. The safety this garden offered made him feel at ease this way.

"How should I say it. The night is...beautiful here," he murmured. Beautiful didn't even come close to what he felt, but no truer word came to mind. He sat, enjoying the warm sunlight that felt so different from the night's coolness as it dried his wet skin. "What did you bring for breakfast?" He eyed the items that Isamu carried with him which must look strange to anyone who caught him in journey. Why carry so much food into a garden? Who did he plan to meet? Wufei shook the thoughts away. "I would love to talk with you more as well. Do you have a lot of time still?"

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 PM

Isamu grinned slightly at the sight of Wufei emerging from the streams, perhaps from others the action would seem presumptuous, but the gods were protecting this man. So Isamu was just glad to see him enjoying the garden. Though he hoped the stream hadn't been too cold for the other man, having been fed by the glaciers up higher in the mountains surrounding the valley.

"The nights here our beautiful, and most often peaceful. You can see the stars for miles some nights. I used to love sneaking out at night to just sleep beneath the stars. Used to give my mother fits to find me not in my bed in the morning." He smiled at the memory that was years ago now, even though he was still young, he hadn't slept beneath the story in over half a decade at this point. He offered over the breakfast over to Wufei, "More rice, of course, but also some grilled fish, and I figured you'd enjoy from fresh fruits. We grow them in an orchard here at the temple. My father's pride and joy that orchard is."

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 07-19-2017, 12:39 AM

"I walked up to the alter," Wufei admitted. "I could see the night open so far beneath me with the stream and moon. Everything felt at peace and the wind made the chimes laugh." He thought Isamu more than anyone could appreciate that since it made it sound like the gods laughed with the humans below. It was always those kind of details that made Wufei feel spiritual. Smiling, he took the food that looked like more than he ever hoped to receive during the course of this war. The fish smell strong, he started there first. "I'm grateful again. You never cease to amaze me with your kindness. This breakfast looks wonderful. And to think, you can even grow fruit during a war." He shook his head, his smile wry. "Even if this country should be my enemy, I am grateful that any garden's still exist."

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-20-2017, 01:26 AM

Isamu smiled at Wufei, "Yes the good that altar is for has a particular sense of humor. I figure they're the one who guided me to you yesterday. They sometimes have a way of feeling like they're laughing at you as much as with you. But they do delight in things of beauty, and this is their garden. The temple has a few other altars throughout it, but none quite as beautiful or sacred as this." He settled on the edge of the stream next to Wufei as he ate. "They are a kind god, and we follow those teachings. Kindness and joy were you can find them are always worth appreciating."