jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM

So guys, we're trying to find ways to make Fresh Meat less of a tumbleweed-ridden wasteland, it's not exactly very welcoming for new users in there! What would make it more active would be a larger variety of threads, not just ones created by the new guys.

It seems pretty sensible to me to have newbie charities in Fresh Meat, but I'd like to get some feedback from you guys on this, I don't want to just move your threads without checking out what you think first!

So tell me what you think and ask questions and so on :)

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Incase it's needed

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-28-2010, 10:39 PM

I personally wouldn't mind, I think it might be a way to draw in more newbies ^.^

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM

I actually never saw the point of having a Fresh Meat section. o__o;

So maybe nudging the Newbie Charities there would give it a little more purpose. We could make into a Little Newbie Town. Like a Little Tokyo. /punt'd really hard

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2010, 10:43 PM

What about the people who's charities are for both newbies and older users? I wouldn't want to muddy the waters by putting anything not newbie related into Fresh Meat. What about splitting the charities so that they have a thread in each forum?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-28-2010, 10:44 PM

Hmmm....mine is predominantly for new users but you do have a point I have a quest help in mine as well.

I guess I wouldn't mind creating a new thread....

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM

@ Jelly - I would have no objects to allowing this, but I believe that the users themselves may feel a little strained, maintaining two separate threads.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 PM

That would be up to them really. What I'd say would be: If you have resources for both newbies and older users in your charity then you can either leave your thread as it is, or start afresh with one specifically for newbies in FM and one for older users in here. Would be their choice what they did.

We're going to give Fresh Meat a new name too, dunno what Josh was thinking when he called it that to be honest :lol: he thought it was witty..

But we do want to "rebrand" it as it were, it's more of a welcome centre, not just somewhere to post one thread and then never go into ever again. We want it to be more of a place where people can learn to feel at home if they're a bit shy about stepping out into the rest of the forums.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 PM

I would probably stick to the one thread myself, simply because I dont know that I have the energy to maintain and keep up with two threads. I don't however have any objection to it being moved. Its origonal intent was to make new users feel welcome and at home on mene.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-28-2010, 11:05 PM

@ Jelly - Oh! I would like the section to remain Fresh Meat. I think that its rather cute~
Perhaps we could have a list of "mixed" charities, inviting newbies to visit once they feel at home enough to leave the Fresh Meat section?
Another concern of mine is that the place wouldn't be very active. Most newbies wouldn't stay for a few hours in the newbie section, or so I feel.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Well the intent at the moment is to try and get some kind of activity in there. Whatever we try isn't set in stone anyway, if we try and it fails miserably it will be a lesson learnt, but we want to try at least :)

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 AM

Well, no one will blame you for the effort. I haven't seen anything like that tried in any other places, so at least we can say we're being innovative.

Frozen Serenity
*^_^*

Old 08-29-2010, 12:36 AM

I am still in favor of the idea ^.^

CK
Crusher of Dreams
Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 AM

I'd love to hear the perspective on this issue from the opinion of someone who is new-ish. (ie: Has an account of 3 months or less.)

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 AM

*stares at 3 year-ish account* I'll just shut my face now.

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-29-2010, 02:14 AM

yeah, I am a two year-ish, so I too will back out. I could pose this issue with my charity people if you want?

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 AM

Drag people in here to talk about it xD I'm not gonna do anything until I've heard from a lot more people!

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-29-2010, 03:34 AM

I'll make a post for you ^.^

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 08-29-2010, 05:20 AM

The primary purpose of my charity is to help new users, clearly. However one of my 'problems' is that of the anti-advertising policy in fresh meat. Therefore, I created a signature incentive subsection of my charity to give monthy prizes to those who maintain signature links to my charity. On a tertiary note, I give pageprizes and postprizes to anyone. If it is in fact a group decision thing, I would not mind having my charity be moved. I just fear that I may lose the 'old faces' of the charity forums dropping in and providing conversation.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 08-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Adding to Crow's concerns about losing regulars.

I often stay in certain sections of the forum. In the old days, you could find me speeding through the Nation and the Exchange, but I have since retired to the slower-paced Art Shops and Charities, dabbling a bit in Avatars and Community. This is because I tend to mass post by opening each thread in a tab and then going through them to answer them all. I then move on to another section. :x So I don't know how it would effect other people, but I would probably be less likely to be hanging out in the Fresh Meat and Fresh Mat charities. *nod*

EDIT:

Wait. I'm supposed to be shutting my mouth right now, aren't I? XD

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-29-2010, 06:37 AM

lols, you've your right to your opinion. I didn't think of that.....I'd hate to lose my regulars.

The_Crow
Mime From Hell
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to The_Crow Send a message via MSN to The_Crow Send a message via Yahoo to The_Crow

Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 AM

The upside is we would be more accessible to our target audience.

The downside is losing the familiar faces/whitelisted people whose presence are vital for my charity to function.

I don't suppose you could keep the charities where they are for people who just browse and support the charities in general but put links/aliases similar to the 'moved topic' sort of links in fresh meat?

Cora

Pixel Pixie

Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 AM

Interesting idea there ......or maybe a sticky with charity listings in the fresh meat.

Scribbled Lore
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Scribbled Lore Send a message via MSN to Scribbled Lore Send a message via Yahoo to Scribbled Lore

Old 08-29-2010, 02:40 PM

I think the stickies need to be reworked, to be honest. If I were the mod for Fresh Meat I'd only have the rules sticky and newbie starter guide sticky. Then the newbie starter guide would need to be reworked to include more of the stickies that handle questions dealing with BBcode and how the site works. So basically just link to more of the FAQs of different sections of the site.

Having a lot of stickies at the top of each new forum I'm visiting is intimidating when I'm a new user on a forum.

Also, sometimes people don't have the time or energy to read all of those multiple stickies at the top when they first sign up so only have two or three might make it seem more manageable because we definitely want people reading the rules before they post.

--

I think it's a great idea to move the newbie charities to the newbie forum and as one of those people that Crow was talking about I'd be happy to travel with the charity to the newbie section. I don't think it'd be that big of a deal unless the majority of people are actually clicking around the website. Personally I subscribe to all the threads I have anything to do with instead of going looking for each thread the next time I want to post there.

*account is under a year old*

shadow_universe
Neenja Stalking Sillyness with a...

Old 08-29-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysundae View Post
Drag people in here to talk about it xD I'm not gonna do anything until I've heard from a lot more people!
about what? :D
I am soo interested and curious now :eager:

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
I actually never saw the point of having a Fresh Meat section. o__o;

So maybe nudging the Newbie Charities there would give it a little more purpose. We could make into a Little Newbie Town. Like a Little Tokyo. /punt'd really hard
good idea :D