APBCole
BUGS CAUSING ME UNABLE TO POST

Old 08-19-2016, 10:48 PM

So Star Trek doesn't have the love as much as Star Wars does but it does have a really long legacy. Tons of different shows and movies. Since Discovery is a new series that is on the horizon, I thought it'd be nice to just discuss general Trek.

I, for one, am a big fan of The Next Generation with Enterprise(the last Trek TV show till now) following behind. I also really like the TOS movies as well as the TNG films. I'm not so much a fan of the JJ Abrams reboot series because of how it's made and how little it is like Star Trek.

I'm also planning on rewatching through TNG this upcoming week once the Bluray I ordered of the complete series comes in since it's the remastered. Haven't seriously had a chance to watch through it in my entire life and only seen it throughout syndication. So i'll be reliving my childhood in a way.

So anyway, discuss away thoughts and feelings on certain shows and movies in Star Trek.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 AM

I suppose it would depend on who you ask about the love level for Trek Vrs. Wars. I'd argue they're fairly equal. But I'm very bias towards Trek and and do know Wars is more popular (otherwise Disney would have bought Trek right?)

I was a TNG/DS9 kinda girl. I also enjoyed VOY for a bit. I never got the chance to get into ENT until it was off air, and it was because I was trying to be "a real fan" and get into TOS. That never happened. To me TOS and the animated show were more my dads era and way of thinking. Picard is a superior officer. I didn't mind it when Doctor WHO from my dads time show backwards humans woman how to think but, when Kirk did with Alien woman it was like. Mmm no. XD

Out of all the most recent reboot movies I gotta say I love Beyond. Pegg did a great job helping to write the script and it was a TON more trek. There was a lot of nods to thinks that happened and to me it really made up for a lot of the other stuff from the first few.

When the first trailers for it came out I'll admit I was bit horrified becasue "here we go Kirk got himself another alien lady yay" but..err wait spoilers? I dunno. I'm sure most people into Trek have probably seen it by now. XD Ya Jaylah was awesome.

APBCole

Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 PM

The only respect I have for the reboot trilogy is that it continually has references to Enterprise. The show might not have been so well received when it came out but somehow it's the only series not tarnished or changed due to the Kelvin timeline of the reboots and gets continually referenced.

I just got into Enterprise, couldn't get in Voyager and don't know if i'll get into Deep Space 9.

Though, when it comes to Trek, there's alot of differing opinions on shows. So I know it's rare to find a person who might like everything I like because of the diversity.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 08-25-2016, 07:43 AM

Yes, I don't really know what they were thinking when they started that whole mess. In spite of not particularly liking TOS I know enough about it to be informed about the time line bs. I think it would have been more acceptable to the fan base if they explored an alternate timeline in a series or even mini series rather than completely mucking with established cannon of everything and pushing them straight to movies.

That's very true about Trek fans.

I both love and hate that. XD The worse thing for me personally in this fandom is getting stuck in the middle of the whole "Your a girl so of coarse you like Voy" or "You're not a true fan if. . . " Conversations. It's nice to find mature people that can accept that others like what they like. And not only that but it's not something that I like because of my bf. I grew up with it.

Another thing about the fandom I find odd is some people get very involved with the ships and their designs. They seem to miss the whole point of the show is human reactions to different political and science situations. A lot of my Trekkie friends started to panic when they first saw the Discovery. I was like... seriously? It's a vessel. How can you judge if it'll be good or not from it. I kinda think having a run down/stitched together ship could add some interesting plot lines. as long as it doesn't become a main plot device like say The Stargate. (dunno if you've seen it but it has it's moments and cool bad guys)

I made a vow to myself to not let what other Trekkies say keep me from watching and enjoying this one as it comes out unlike enterprise. I really want to see Trek rival Star Wars again. Not to necessarily make one better than the other, I personally like both for different reasons. However, I'd LOVE to see a 3D animated Trek Cartoon in lines of the clones wars style.

APBCole

Old 08-28-2016, 10:30 AM

The Trek timelines though are more understandable than the Terminator ones. If only because it's explained in such a way that makes some form of sense because it's segmented away from the main timeline of the series. The mirror universe being one and the potential alternative timelines and alternate timelines. They're all different but they aren't muddled and tend to be pretty self explanatory. Not to mention somewhat interconnected over multiple series.

Girls liking Trek is perfectly fine. I don't get the gist of insulting you for your gender because you don't like a specific show or something. I'm more open minded of a Trek fan. There's three movie series, four shows(five I guess if you include TAS) and that there's alot of varying opinions on things. If you like Voyager because of Janeway then fine. I don't care. I think she's an interesting character due to her predicament but the show just isn't for me.

I've seen Stargate. SG-1 and Atlantis. Watched alot of that. Liked both quite a bit so I get what you're saying about its moments and the bad guy. Though, I do enjoy ship designs if only because Trek ships are very cool looking things. Though, i'm not super excited for Discovery because of what I read but maybe it'll be good. It's just i'm apprehensive of a new Trek show right now.

I've been learning the hardcore ones are the worst. I browse Reddit when i'm not on here and the Star Trek subreddit has some of the most die-hard people. I've posted twice but it's not a very welcoming community. It's actually kind of scary because of how alot of these people tend to respond to different opinions.

I like Trek and the Wars as well but i'm not a super big into Wars. I like alot of the older stuff and the new stuff though excluding the Prequels.

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 08-31-2016, 01:24 AM

Yes, alternate timelines are best when you can go back to them in more depths like in TV shows. The terminator timelines are pretty tricky and seem to merge together but not perfectly. I think there was a TV show for it I never got into because my schedules was like NOPE at the time.

I'm the same with Wars, I like the animated shows better than the prequels. I didn't mind the newest movie and I'm looking forward to the next.

I haven't been reading much about the new series yet when it comes to crew/premise. I want it to be a surprise. I just kinda of assumed it'd would be more or less about exploration with it being called discovery. Time will tell how I feel about it and it's crew.

As long as we aren't about telling each other how opinions are wrong I'm super happy to Talk Trek with you. :D Do you have any favorites? (Villains, Ships, Races Ect.) Or just Trek as a whole?

APBCole

Old 09-03-2016, 12:25 PM

It's the Sarah Connor Chronicles. Such a fantastic show. It takes place after Terminator 2. Kind of throws what you know about Terminator on its head in a good way. Got into it a good year or so ago but damn am I glad I did. Saw it on CW Seed which had the full series up for free but apparently it must have went away in May due to licensing or something since I just checked.

I loved The Force Awakens. I don't like many of JJs films since it's a rather short list. But I loved Force Awakens. It to me was really well made. Rogue One looks great too. I expect i'll like it. But I tried rewatching the prequels and man was it horrible. The acting, pacing, and a list of other things just made me hate it even more now.

I like how it's called Discovery which is nice because Enterprise had the ships Enterprise and Columbia(NX 01 and NX 02) and since it's going back then it basically make sense for them to skip ahead to Discovery since they haven't covered any ships a main feature of the series named Discovery. If you'd note from the naming convention that all three of these ship names are space shuttle names which is why they named it Discovery. But i'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and hoping it's not going to be bad.

My favorite trek villain is the Borg if only because they're the Federations foil due to their brute force tactics. My second is the Sphere Builders. Third is Q because he's amusing and always tries to mess with Picard.

Favorite races is Vulcans and Andorians.

My favorite ships are the Galaxy class and NX class. Honorable mentions are the Ambassador class and Excelsior class. Basically, I my preference is more towards ships that have neck excluding the NX class. They just have so much style. After playing STO, i'm going to add the Constitution class refit as another favorite.

Last edited by APBCole; 09-04-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 09-06-2016, 07:57 AM

Yes! That's the show. I remember the previews looking really good, but like I said time was like. lol NOPE! I'll have to dl it sometime in the future.

I'm going to have to agree with you on the force awakens. I've enjoyed watching it a few times now. I like when there are cool little details going on in the background. The bar scene was particularly interesting. I also loved how many actor cameos were in it where you were like...wait wut? that was X? COOL! I'm looking forward to Rogue One as well.

I think what made the SW prequels bad...is that they were like 45 minute episodes of TNG stretched into two hour movies. I mean like the politics and character development was there, which I love in Trek show BUT it doesn't work for movies at all. Which is why the movies for trek always seem strange with all the action scenes. I did like the Prequels for the eye candy though. They were beautiful movies and I loved the design work.

YES! It's about time we see more stuff other than "The Flag ship" POV in Star Trek. I can't wait to see who they're casting and about the crew.

Q is such a fun character! One of my favorite villains as well. John did a fabulous job portraying him. I've meet him once...and kinda derped on getting a picture with him. I liked how he messed with Sisko and Janeway too.

My favorite races are Cardassian, Klingon and Andorians.

I'd like to see more development done with the Gorn and Orion. We're given a bit more info about them in STO but some people haven't played it. I myself only got to like level 30ish in that game. I enjoyed it I just don't have the time to play. :(

Ships are like cars to me... I like the blue ones. XD

APBCole

Old 09-06-2016, 09:40 AM

Give it a watch. It's only thirty episodes. It only lasted two seasons which sucks because it got really good.

The prequels were badly acted which made the whole entire thing horrible plus the reliance on green screen meant that entire scenes were filmed on it. Very little was practically done. It's the opposite of the original trilogy. I just don't like it at all. So much of it is bad and there's the Plinkett Reviews to explain why.

I've been breezing through STO. Been registered since 09' but haven't played it till now. Up to 31. I personally don't like the Orions and Gorn. Cardassians, maybe a little, but not like any of the major ones. STO is great fun though in the space combat scene as the ground stuff is kind of mediocre. Going to get the Sovereign as my last free ship then i'll only need the Excelsior to have next a good amount of ships I most want. The stories are good Trek though.

I like the Starfleet ones alot. They have such beauty. They're just curvy enough. I admire certain Klingon/Romulan ships though. Some of them are cool.