aki-bara
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via AIM to aki-bara Send a message via Yahoo to aki-bara

Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 PM

I love libraries! There my favorite places to be and to read. But have you ever been to a bad library? How about a really good library? Why or why didn't you like it? Where there bad books, noisy people? Uncomfortable chairs?

I love to rate the libraries I go to see I want to hear if you guys do the same and if you like your libraries! Is it weird that I like mine?

Amo_Angelus
(・・^...
Send a message via MSN to Amo_Angelus

Old 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM

I used to go to Stocky library almost every day after school till it closed for the night. I read almost all of the teen literature and was on the adult section before I stopped going. The staff knew me and often let me have little perks, like cutting across the staff area to get to my books, looking at books still behind the counter waiting to be put out and such. I loved it! But it was noisey a lot of the time. I stopped going in my final two years of school, mostly because my moms new puppy ate a library book and she said she'd pay the fine but didn't and I had no money to at only 14/15! But also because my GCSEs were comming up and I had no time.

Jenova
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 PM

I go to the library at my high school. It's pretty good, but it didn't have an unabridged edition of Alexandre Dumas' works
The librarian and I have a slight fangirl moment since we were talking about the Count of Monte Cristo.

aki-bara
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 PM

My high school library has a terrible selection. >.< All their fiction books are really old ones I've read or not fantasy/sci-fi/teen which I don't enjoy reading too much.

Also, the librarians there are really mean.

@Jamys: Thats a shame that she never paid the fine,and what are GSCE's, if there a test, couldn't you have studied for it at the library? Did the noise bother you while you studied?

Jenova
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-08-2007, 11:24 PM

@ aki
That sucks. The librarians at my school are pretty awesome but kids keep cutting pages out of manga D<
They have a decent selection of classics, but nothing unabridged D<

OBJECTION
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 AM

I used to live within a ten minute walk of my high school's library, which was also the city I lived in's library and I would walk there pretty much every day not only for the books, but for the internet since I didn't have any at home at that point. All of the librarians knew me by name and sight and I used to get special treatment by one of the male librians because he had a crush on me. He once let me stay on a computer for like 5 hours even though there was a time limit on how long you could be on the computers. ^^

I'm still convinced that he got rid of a huge library fine that I had. It was over $100 and I only had to pay like 20 of it.

Eileanora
'heaven is the feeling i get in ...
Send a message via AIM to Eileanora

Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 AM

most of all the libraries that i've been too have been
good ones. i don't think there was ever a bad one. though i haven't stepped foot in one for a couple years xD i really should go back instead of spending money on buying them.

Ling
The Daydreamer
Penpal

Old 11-09-2007, 06:30 AM

I don't think I've ever been to a bad library as such, just that some libraries have more limited sources than others. I like the look of the university libraries best, but of course for sources of information my local library is best.

Aisha Woku
\ (•◡•) /
Banned

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 AM

I don’t like libraries in general; they just make me uncomfortable. Also our librarians have also been those stereotypical librarians, old and cranky and glare at you if you make any kind of noise. Our library also doesn’t have a lot of “cozy†chairs, just wooden ones pulled up to tables. I guess it is a good environment if you’re working on homework or something like that, but a lousy place if you need to read through a book for school or something.

DelilahHeart
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via AIM to DelilahHeart Send a message via Yahoo to DelilahHeart

Old 11-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Oh I adore big libraries where I can get lost in them and be surrounded by books. You could say I have an obsession with books and being around books but not necessarily reading them. It's really weird because I'll check a book out and say that I'll read it but then I'll have to read it and I'll only have read about twenty pages. Then I go and read Lois Duncan books and I get so sucked in that I don't put the book down.

I would say an unpleasant library is a small one. I hate small libraries. There are two fairly large libraries near me and I try going to them when I can. In fact I should probably go to the library today and do my homework there.

aki-bara
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelilahHeart
Oh I adore big libraries where I can get lost in them and be surrounded by books. You could say I have an obsession with books and being around books but not necessarily reading them. It's really weird because I'll check a book out and say that I'll read it but then I'll have to read it and I'll only have read about twenty pages. Then I go and read Lois Duncan books and I get so sucked in that I don't put the book down.

I would say an unpleasant library is a small one. I hate small libraries. There are two fairly large libraries near me and I try going to them when I can. In fact I should probably go to the library today and do my homework there.
Haha, I love being surrounded by books as well, but I like reading them too ^.^ ! Of course lately I've been to bust to really read anything quickly, but I still read when I get the chance. I love big libraries too, the bigger they better! There is just someting so intresting about being in between two shelves of books, when it's quiet... Maybe theres a window.. It's almost magical in a sense. ^^' Haha, I love libraries way too much I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisha Woku

I don’t like libraries in general; they just make me uncomfortable. Also our librarians have also been those stereotypical librarians, old and cranky and glare at you if you make any kind of noise. Our library also doesn’t have a lot of “cozy†chairs, just wooden ones pulled up to tables. I guess it is a good environment if you’re working on homework or something like that, but a lousy place if you need to read through a book for school or something.

Man cranky librarians are the worst! But I don't mind non-comfy chairs as long as the books are good ^^' I'm crazy like that I guess. How do libraries make you uncomfortable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ling
I don't think I've ever been to a bad library as such, just that some libraries have more limited sources than others. I like the look of the university libraries best, but of course for sources of information my local library is best.
Yeah, I guess you're right. :? But, still even if it isn't their fault and its because they have poor resources, there are still some libraries I just plain don't like to be in. Well.. thats not necessarily true, I love all libraries, but some I enjoy more than others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileanora
most of all the libraries that i've been too have been
good ones. i don't think there was ever a bad one. though i haven't stepped foot in one for a couple years xD i really should go back instead of spending money on buying them.
Yea, they are pretty sweet in that whole "free" aspect. I take advantage of that all the time. You're lucky if you've never been to a bad library. The one closest to my house is horrible, and so is my schools! >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBJECTION
I used to live within a ten minute walk of my high school's library, which was also the city I lived in's library and I would walk there pretty much every day not only for the books, but for the internet since I didn't have any at home at that point. All of the librarians knew me by name and sight and I used to get special treatment by one of the male librians because he had a crush on me. He once let me stay on a computer for like 5 hours even though there was a time limit on how long you could be on the computers. ^^

I'm still convinced that he got rid of a huge library fine that I had. It was over $100 and I only had to pay like 20 of it.
Thats could either be really sweet or really creepy depending on how old the librarian is in comparison to you. Hehe, do you still go there? Do they have a good book selection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenova
@ aki
That sucks. The librarians at my school are pretty awesome but kids keep cutting pages out of manga D<
They have a decent selection of classics, but nothing unabridged D<
That would make me so mad, how disrespectful to cut a page out of a manga! Also is there a huge difference between the abriged and unabriged?

Jenova
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 PM

@aki
Yes there is. The abridged version dumbs down the eloquent and beautiful wording of the book, and cuts out "minor" parts. It makes me despair to see such beautiful books mutilated so some brute can pretend to read it.

aki-bara
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 PM

@Jenova: Wow! Y^Y Just hearing you talk about it makes me so sad! They really shouldn't do that to books, so not cool. Have you read any unabridgeds? Could you appreciate them more?

Jenova
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM

I haven't read an unabridged version of my favorite book of all time, The Count of Monte Cristo [Which is the most beautifully written book it has been my pleasure to read] Unfortunately, I think I have to learn French to get a true edition. I finished that book less than a hour ago and my heart feels heavy in my chest. I think I might cry but tears won't form.

juno rally
*^_^*

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM

my local library was a really sweet old building, old oak carvincs and all the steriotipical things that you could think of with librarys. big shelvs and that sertain smell of polished wood that there is in old buildings and most museams.

now however the local councel has decided to renivate it. nice idear you may thing, restore the leaking root on the top floor, fix the walls that have crachs and everything, no worries it will be just as good as it was last time.... no, apparently my local councel's idea of "renivating" is to rip the heart and soul of of the place and make it into a normal bulding that looks no different to any office.

all the old oak workings and carvings have gone, all the walls have been painted pure white, a horid colour for walls no matter what they are in my opinion, and shelvs that look like there were bought from ikea..

i dont even dare to go in and look upstairs as there was a really nice painting on the cealing that was really profetionaly done and looked like it was really old, i couldnt take it if thats gone as well.

basically, its now a horrible building thats hardly ever used as every one has the same opinion about it and its not a good one.

Sun
(っ◕‿◕)&...
Send a message via MSN to Sun

Old 11-10-2007, 01:02 PM

My local libary is rather drab, and a little lacking in the way of books. They have absoultly none of my favourite authours books. It's not as if he's an unknown one either.

My second nearest libary is a little better. It looks much nicer inside and out, with all your steryotypical statues, carvings, large ceiling to floor shelves, and wooded boards on the walls. The facilities and selection of books is much better there too.

KaboomPop
Dead Account Holder

Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Lol i nver go to the libaririe

Smiley160
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 11-11-2007, 05:43 PM

my library sucks we have to keep quiet we cannot even write because "it desturbs the little kids" it sucks so i have to take the book home

Blacksheep poet
\ (•◡•) /
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Blacksheep poet

Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

OH MY GOD!!! There was this one librarian that I had in the six and seventh grade. She teached the typing class and we were doing this one typing class in the library and she wanted us to only copy and paste. Any typing wasn't allowed. I accidently pressed the backspace after I copied and pasted a sentence onto the wordpad so I thought I would type the letter I backspaced on the wordpad and she hit me!! I HATE HER!!!!!!

Smiley160
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep poet
OH MY GOD!!! There was this one librarian that I had in the six and seventh grade. She teached the typing class and we were doing this one typing class in the library and she wanted us to only copy and paste. Any typing wasn't allowed. I accidently pressed the backspace after I copied and pasted a sentence onto the wordpad so I thought I would type the letter I backspaced on the wordpad and she hit me!! I HATE HER!!!!!!
O..M..G you know that she could have gotten into a lot of trouble if you told on her at my school if a teacher hits us all my teacher says (when we try to tell him) This doesnt envolve the whole class so sit down and shutup i dont want to hear another word from you and if we talk SIT DOWN AND DONT TALK NOWWWWWWWWWW. he is so stupid and rude he scratchs his butt in class

Smiley160
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep poet
O..M..G you know that she could have gotten into a lot of trouble if you told on her at my school if a teacher hits us all my teacher says (when we try to tell him) This doesnt envolve the whole class so sit down and shutup i dont want to hear another word from you and if we talk SIT DOWN AND DONT TALK NOWWWWWWWWWW. he is so stupid and rude he scratchs his butt in class

jediobiwan
(-.-)zzZ

Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 AM

I LOVE libraries. Especially bigger "system" libraries where all the libraries in the county are cooperative and exchange books daily for their individual patrons. I used to go to the biggest library in the state every 6 weeks despite the fact that it was two hours away. Now I live within walking distance of the second biggest county's main library. Yayness again! For the first two years that I lived here they only had a "mini-main" in an old office-space across the street because they were renovating the original. This year they finally opened to regular main library again and it is beautiful. I love how huge it is compared to the stuffy confines of the old mini-main.

Also, my residential high school just built a new library/student activity center. It is so wonderful! I think it is probably the best high school library in the state actually. We have group study rooms, wonderful space (the old library was literally the size of the bathrooms on that floor now) new classrooms with full media capabilities, comfy chairs, working copiers and printers (more important than you may think for a residential school)and a wonderful magazine collection/display. I absolutely love to go up there and read! If anyone is actually interested in seeing just a few pics...

lavalem
\ (•◡•) /

Old 11-12-2007, 03:06 AM

i love really big libraries where you can just get lost in them

Emrysa
ʘ‿ʘ
Send a message via AIM to Emrysa

Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 AM

I hate our local library. There's nowhere to sit and read. It's very tiny too. There are like three "rooms". The desk is right in the middle when you walk in and then there's a tiny it's shaped like a cross. The square to the right has children's books. The square to the left has biographies, history, ect. The back square has fiction. It's tiny as hell and they never have anything new. By contrast the downtown library is huge. It's got three floors.

fuyumi_saito
(。・ω・&...
Send a message via MSN to fuyumi_saito

Old 11-12-2007, 06:46 AM

I love libraries. I prefer the smaller one in my town..But I go to the big one since it has more books. It also lets you check out your own books XD Which is pretty cool. There are seats, and computers everywhere..Two large bookshelves full of fantasy books, on front and back(It's actually two to a row, then two on the other row...Wait, it's five because there is an extra one. ^^)

Plus there's manga^^