Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 PM

Art by ToriKat, banner by Ferra

Hello, Menewshans...
The astute among you may have noticed my absence during the most recent festivities. I must confess that lately I have become something of a book worm, and have thus been spending much of my time reading. I suppose the habit was picked up when I began growing bored at my store. Not many people visit it...
I have been reading so much that I have exhausted the Menewshan Library. Every novel, autobiography, children's book, historical document, and science paper has now been read by yours truly.
I realize I must cut down on my reading habit, if for no other reason than because I have nothing left to read... However, I would prefer to not go "cold turkey" as they say.
This is where you come in, my dear Menewshans. I am requesting that you write short stories for me to read. There will be something nice in it for you...

Last edited by Lise; 07-17-2010 at 04:18 AM..

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Rules:
  • All stories must be inside a "spoiler" bar. ([hide]Your story here[/hide])
  • All submissions must use the provided form.
  • Your entry must be written for this contest. You may not "recycle" an old story.
  • You may not submit someone else's work. This is plagiarism and doing such will earn you a permanent infraction.
  • Your submission may not be longer than 1,000 words. (If you're not sure how to check how many words your story consists of, you may post in this thread and ask for assistance in finding this information.)
  • Your entry must be about or include one or more of the following: A grand ball, the ocean, and/or a shipwreck. Your story will not be accepted if you do not use at least one of these themes.
  • Your entry must include the phrase "he/she/they couldn't believe his/her/their eyes." You choose the pronouns. Your story will not be accepted if you do not use this sentence.
  • You may only submit one story.
  • You may submit on either your main account or your mule account, but you may not submit on both.
  • Do not give critiques on other people's works unless they have asked for it. If you wish to post your story for feedback before officially submitting it, do so in quote tags.

Guidelines:
  • Do your absolute best to write correctly. This means use proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I will not ignore your entry if there is a misplaced comma, but a submission riddled with distracting errors is very unlikely to win.
  • Be creative. The more interesting your story is, the more likely it is to win. Cliched characters or storylines will not win me over.
  • Please read the rules carefully and double check your story before submitting it. If you make a small error (such as forgetting to use the form or the hide tags), I will give you one chance to fix it. If you do not fix it, your story will not be accepted. In the case of plagiarism or attempting to recycle an old story of yours, you will not receive a second chance.

Submission Form:
HTML Code:
[size=5][b]I have written you a story![/b][/size]
Username:
Submission:
[hide]Place your story here[/hide]
Final notes: (such as what inspired you, something you want to say regarding your piece, etc. Keep it brief, I've already read one story by you.)

Last edited by Lise; 07-18-2010 at 10:19 PM..

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 PM

Prizes:
Heh... Let's make this interesting, shall we? I am going to keep the prizes a secret. I will only tell you the following about them...
  • The grand prize will be a Contribution Item worth at least 9,000g.
  • The second place prize will be worth at least 4,000g.
  • Additional prizes may be given out based on how many entries I receive that I like. If I receive 7 that I love, 7 prizes will be given out. If I only like 2, only 2 prizes will be given out. So do your absolute best and don't be intimidated by submissions you think are better than yours.
  • A minimum of 2 prizes will be given out, guaranteed.

There you have it, Menewshans. Now get to writing and try to impress me. You have until the event ends.

Last edited by Lise; 07-17-2010 at 04:17 AM..

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 06-08-2010, 12:18 AM

Submissions:

Username: Carzeebear
Submission:

SPOILERX

She couldn’t believe her eyes. There, on the beach before her, was a shipwreck. She gathered her skirts and ran toward it.
“Lisa! Wait up!” Her little sister ran along behind her, almost tripping on her skirts, she was only just old enough to wear long ones and she wasn’t used to it yet.
“Lift your skirts Jenny, and HURRY!”

Together the girls ran toward the first exciting thing to happen to them in their whole lives, but as they drew close to the wreck they slowed to a stop. It was so big! Bigger than any ship in the city harbour. Slowly the girls walked around the ship, looking for an entrance.
“Maybe we should go? And tell Daddy?”
“And leave it to the adults? Stop being a wimp Jenny” Despite her brave words Lisa shivered and gripped her sister’s hand before they strode together into the dank, dark hull of the ship.

The first thing the girls noticed was the smell. The smell of fish was in the air, and so thick that the girls felt it was sticking to them, soaking into the fabric of their skirts. They soon found out why. In barrels, split open by the crash, were fish of all sorts. They spilled all over the floor of the ship and had already begun to rot. Lisa fished out her handkerchief and held it over her nose.
“That’s so gross Lise, can’t we go?”
“No, this is too exciting for a little smell to get in the way. It’s an adventure Jen, like the boys in the hold are always banging on about!”
“If this is an adventure, I prefer boredom. I’m going home.” Jenny turned to leave, but realised that the hole in the hull that they had entered through, wasn’t there!
“Liiisa!” Jenny spun around, looking for her big sister, “Lisa! Where are you! This isn’t funny! Suddenly a cackle split the air. “Lisa! Was that you?” She ran deeper into the wreck, toward a faint light, tripping over her skirts. She felt tears well up. “Lisa! Where did you go? Lisa!” She kept running and the light got brighter, though still not as bright as daylight. Then she remembered the time. It was nearly sunset! She had to find her sister and get home before dark or she’d get a thrashing.

Jenny began to cry. She would never get home in time, she didn’t know where Lisa was and the dark and the stink were beginning to scare her. But she stopped crying when she heard a giggle. Quickly, silently she began to look for the source. She was beginning to suspect a trick. She headed back towards the light and saw that it was coming from a lamp. The lamp was being held by her big brother and Lisa was standing behind him, both of them were laughing outright at the tears on their little sister’s cheeks.
“Come on Jenny, let’s go home and get rid of that stink.” Jenny wiped her eyes on her sleeve and sniffed, rejecting the offered hand.
“I can’t believe you’ve been so cruel.”
“It was just a bit of fun Jen. Calm down.” The three of them walked off, trying to leave the wreck. But as they were leaving, Lisa turned around, and a shadow darted across the wall.
“Did you two see that?” She asked, her voice shaking.
“You’re just worried by the joke Lise, calm down.”
“You’re right, it was probably nothing.” The siblings left the wreck, and their “adventure” behind.

But something was watching them leave.

Final notes: I decided that a twist was just what this tale needed. And a bit of last minute suspense.

Username: Casiana
Submission: Greed

SPOILERX

On a beach at sunset one finds it odd to see a child of seven. The windswept, curly-haired child was singing lovingly at the sea, without a care in the world. She admired the waters with wide green eyes.

Yet no matter how out of place the child was, she was nowhere near as fascinating as the woman she found.

Her colorful clothes were torn, her hazel-tanned skin was scarred, her long raven hair was matted- and yet she was the most exotic woman the child had seen. There was little familiar about her, but of one thing the child was positive- she couldn't believe her eyes!- this woman was certainly a Pirate!

The woman did not move, did not glance. She simply spoke. "You are far from home, little girl."

The girl stepped closer. "I sense you are, as well," she replied. She was not sure if it was polite, but she was comforted by the woman's response.

She snorted softly, smiling. "Of that you are correct." She turned her head and looked at the child. "Do you know who I am?"

"I know that you are a pirate."

"Very perceptive." She sighed, looking out towards the sea. Slowly, she slid down the stone and walked gracefully to the ocean, watching the waves lap her toes. The child followed, looking up at the woman. She met her gaze.

"My name is Zip," she told the woman. "Please tell me your name."

"My name?" The woman sighed. "Once I was Alzias- Captain Alzias."

Zip looked out at the sunset, silent for a moment, then nodded. "You are a pirate named Alzias. Where is your ship?"

"That is a long tale. Are you prepared to hear it?"

The girl nodded. In response, Alzias the Pirate sat straight-legged in the sand, letting the waves wash her calves. When Zip was seated next to her, she began.

"It was months, maybe a year ago that our ship set off on a journey towards the Island of Lost Time. The stories of gold were more than my crew could handle. That day the air was thick with excitement. It was... oddly relaxing.

"Ten days at sea we were hailed by another ship. This ship was lead by the Pirate Rain. Rain is a strong man with a stronger crew. Some say his strength is parallel to the stormy seas. Rain had been after the Island as well, but no word had been heard of any sight of his ship for many moons.

"When he and my crew met, we were told a terrible tale. On the way towards the Island of Lost Time, his crew was greeted by a horrific black bird with the face and torso of a human. It roosted on the crow's nest. Its breath stank of rotted corpses and sun-swelled flesh. It gave a warning to the crew, to turn back, else they become its next meal. It taunted them, dared them to continue, with temptations of riches, all while gleefully bragging at the strength of the guardians. It flew away with a cackle.

"Despite this warning, they continued. Rain is not a man to heed such an insult. However, two nights later, they met another challenge- a terrible storm formed around their ship. The farther the ship sailed the worse it got. Crew members were being tossed overboard, physically pulled from their posts. Rain ordered a complete turnaround, but the ship was met with harsh resistance. It took days of fighting to be clear of the last of the storm. His crew was reduced to a third of what they once were, and a number of them were injured or ill.

"Rain told us that he hailed to warn us. He told us to turn back, that we were facing grave danger, that they were lucky to be alive.

"We did not listen.

"We met with the strange bird. We met with the storm. I don't know how we managed, but we powered through it. We were beyond excited. We had succeeded where Rain hadn't! Our spirits were lifted once more.

"Of course, the islands' defense wasn't going to give up easily. It gave us a few days' reprieve, but with what it had it store for us, it didn't matter.

"We started our four week's mark of our journey in a light spirit. The sea was calm, the sun was high. The storm's damage had finally been repaired. For the first time since the storm took many of us, we were peaceful.

"Then the sky turned black. Thick clouds floated across the sky, blocking out the sun. The waters began to roll. An impossibly tall wave approached the bow of the ship, and out of the wall of water came a group of incredibly large tentacles. Our ship stood no chance.

"Masts cracked and fell; sails tore; men, women, and children were thrown overboard- myself included. The ship crumbled all around us. Those who survived the fall into the water drowned in the waves or were pummeled by debris.

"With all my life, I held onto a bit of driftwood and floated away. I paid no attention to those around me. I just floated, until I landed here. I don't know where I am, how long it's been, or how many of us survived. All I know is that I am alive, when I shouldn't be. I let my crew die, because our greed was too strong."

She looked down at Zip. She wasn't sure when, but the sun had set. The girl was staring at her with wide, fearful eyes. "Remember my story," Alzias told her, "and never forget that there are more important things than riches. It will save you in the end, I promise you." Then she began to cry.

Final notes: I hope you enjoy :)

Username: Woodlandnymph
Submission: Over the ocean grand

SPOILERX

Sylvia forced her parched lips apart, tasting salt, which was quickly followed by the coppery tang of blood as her lip split. She tried to open her eyes, but at the moment it was too much effort. She felt enough pain to know that she wasn’t dead, though, that option might have been better than reality.

Finally, she managed to open her eyes a crack only to have the sunlight pierced through her skull. Sylvia blinked rapidly, forcing the world into focus. Before her was a scene of warped wood and wreckage. It all began to sink in. A storm. The crewmen shouting and rushing about. The captain forcing her to go into the bowels of the ship, where she was tossed about, bruised and battered by the wild waves. Screams and the resounding crack of the main mast. And then…nothing.

She felt, rather than saw the awkward position she was crumpled in, as there was something hard and smooth pushed up into her midsection. Taking a slow evaluation of her body,she wiggling her toes, flexed her fingers and moved her limbs with care. Weakly, she managed to push her blue and black self slowly off of the wreckage of the trundle bed that she shared with her nurse Nann, till she was in a sitting position.

Her hair was plastered to the side of her head, stiff with salt water and debris, and her clothes torn and bleached from the water and sun. Sylvia tried her voice out, until finally she managed a few soft, cracked words,
“Nann?” She coughed, and ventured to speak a little louder. “Captain Reynolds? Is anyone out there?”

After listening for what seemed like hours, she shakily tested out her legs and picked her way about the twisted remains of the ship. The beach she was on was long and peaceful, the waves gently lapping and coaxing the wood and nails back into the ocean. But, further out she could see the rocks taking a brutal pounding from the waves, smashing with a rhythmic force older than time, violently breaking on the unyielding stone.

For all the debris from the vessel that was bearing Sylvia, along with her mother’s uncle who commanded the 28 gun frigate to his Northumbrian estate, she could not see how it made up an entire ship. A glint of silver caught her eye. Caught in a candelabra was a partial full water skin that she quickly detangled and opened, letting the cool stale water coat her tongue. Shouldering the strap, she continued along the curve of the beach, towards distant cliffs .

After walking for a while, she thought she could make out a large mass in the harsh light. She couldn’t believe her eyes, ‘It must be the rest of the ship!’ she thought, picking up her pace. As she got closer, the form of the ship materialized and grew. The last few hundred yards she ran, “Hey there! Hello? It’s me Sylvia! Uncle? Nann?”

She stumbled just as she reached the cracked side of the ship, grabbing the rough wood and embedding it into her palms. It was the most glorious feeling; solid and familiar. She made her way around, keeping in contact with the wood the entire time, until she came upon the gaping maw of a wound, where the ship had split. The decks had melded together, and a talus slope of debris littered down onto the sand.

Sylvia rushed up onto the sloping wreckage, quickly turning aside the rubbish. She saw a scrap of fabric trapped underneath a heavy piece of polished wood that could have once been the main dinner table that she sat at every night, eating and laughing with the officers and her Uncle. Grunting, and forcing the wood to the side she revealed a morbid bloody sight.

She ran a few yards away and emptied her stomach of water and bile before crumpling down, sobbing. Her vision blurred by the tears now streaming down her face. She put her arms around her head and rocked herself, letting her sobs subside into hiccups.

Through her hiccups, she hummed lullaby that Naan had sung to her as a little girl, letting it sooth her . Slowly her mind went blank, blocking out the sight of her poor nurse, who was crushed and bloated from the salt water, her sweet figure distended until it was almost unrecognizable. Soon all she had left in her was the song. Softly, she began sang,

“Over the ocean grand…” hiccup “my bonny love did sail. To seek his fortune,” hicc “and fame…over the ocean…grand”

Final notes: Not a faerytale type story. You are warned. But please, enjoy it!

Username: Skykittykat
Submission: I don't Even Know Your Name...

SPOILERX

Music flooded the air that cold September night outside the palace and despite the lateness of the evening every light in every corridor was lit to a twinkling glow. Outside a lone carriage pulled up outside the gates and the door man tugged the door open with a bow to the young lady within. Her eyes sparkled with awe as she stepped gracefully from the horse drawn carriage and gazed up at the castle. Long auburn locks were held in an elegant array of curls contained by a single golden ribbon and her emerald eyes blinked as she brought herself back to reality and started towards the castle, murmuring encouraging words to herself all the way.

Tonight was the annual 'Prince's Ball.' The grand ball held each year to celebrate the night that the King and Queen Ella first set eyes on one another. Their eldest son was just coming into age this year and once again the objective of this ball was to find him a bride. Every single woman of a marriable age had been invited, even a lowly farmers daughter such as the woman now standing fretful before the door of the ball room. The queen, in a grand show of world renowned generosity, had provided every woman who could not afford a dress or a carriage with the money to do so. And so here stood Arianna Elizabeth Delaney, seventeen years of age, dressed resplendently in a gorgeous red gown, with absolutely no idea what she was doing.

Of course she did not expect the Prince to take any particular interest in her; she just hoped she could find someone who would love her that she could love back. She'd long grown tired of her fathers ridiculous attempts to set her up with absolutely horrendous, back hoe farm boys that were the sons of his friends. They were available for a reason, father. She thought to herself with a grimace. She wanted an intelligent man. One who could hold an intelligent conversation with her while she discussed her favorite books or even politics.

Gulping a deep breath of air she steadied herself and nodded to the servants who watched her with bemused expressions. "I'm ready." She said quietly, closing her eyes to prepare her mind for the certain splendor that awaited her. The doors creaked slightly as they opened and she prepared for the worst. When the movement stopped she peeked from behind her lashes. She couldn't believe her eyes.

A masquerade?! She thought to herself frantically. There was nothing on the invitation about it being a masquerade ball! "Ms. Delaney." The servant's voice cut into her quickly wrecking train of thought. "Your mask." He said with a wink when she turned to look at him. Sure enough, there resting in his palm was a simple gold painted mask that was strung with scarlet ribbons intended to hold the mask to the head. Adorning the sides were thin lines of red paint in a delicate pattern of feathers. "It's beautiful..." She breathed. Admiring it briefly before she placed it upon her face and tied it securely as he ushered her in without another word.

It was no grand entrance. No one stopped what they were doing and turned to stare. She had arrived late and the ball was already in full swing to a lively waltz with whirling couples all around the floor. Whoever had thought of the idea of a masquerade was clever indeed. It was clear that the identity of the prince remained a secret, leaving him to choose in peace. Each mask was different but matched the dress or suit of the wearer with impeccable choice. Wandering to an empty table she took a seat shyly, not really knowing whether to wait for someone to ask her to dance or to take the chance and ask someone.

She sat there uncertainly, reading from a book that someone had left there earlier, before the choice was taken from her when a man walked up to her and bowed. His shoulder length black hair was held back with a neat bow and he wore a white suit with golden accents. His mask was similar to her with a pattern of feathers but the lining of the feathers were in gold against a white background. "May I have this dance, lady?" He asked her gently, a smile tugged his lips and his blue eyes twinkled from behind the mask, the same shade of robin's egg blue as the queen. The hidden prince, Jonathan Charming was asking Arianna to dance.

Arianna could hardly refuse him when he had gone to the trouble of asking her. "You may." She said with a demure smile and a blush on her cheeks. She took his hand and he led her to the dance floor as a slow but lovely waltz began anew. Together they twirled across the dance floor for what seemed like hours, making small talk as they did so. The topics ranged from the novel she had been reading to the state of the kingdom and as she grew more comfortable to him their tenth straight dance ended. She curtsied happily. "Follow me..." He said with a playful smile as he led her to a secluded balcony overlooking the rose gardens.

As they stood there facing each other he reached up behind her head and untied the bow of her mask and it fell to the floor with a clatter. Her blush deepened and she averted her eyes as he did the same with his own. When she turned back to look at him she uttered a small gasp at his revealed identity but before she could say anything his lips captured hers in a sensitive but passionate kiss. Fireworks exploded in her mind and she felt her legs turn to jelly as he pulled back slowly, gazing into her emerald eyes with his beautiful sapphire pair. He smiled slowly. "And I don't even know your name..."

Final notes: When I saw that one of the themes was 'A Grand Ball' I couldn't help but have this idea pop into my head. There's no unhappy ending but I hope you like it all the same Lise!

Username: heartages
Submission:

SPOILERX

The cool, salty sea breeze gently brushed Ionia’s long auburn curls across her face and captured them along its careful current. She could not believe her eyes. As they followed the eternal flow of the ocean waves, she was seeing what she thought was a formation of water raising out of one of the crests. She gawked in disbelief as the figure took on a humanoid appearance.

The sunset lit the sky afire and her breath was taken away. It was a truly magnificent sight. Ionia was not one to be moved easily, either. The conditions of the dilapidated world had hardened her heart a bit, however, in that moment she became part of something phenomenal.

“Ionia of Vireo,” the aqueous figure spoke, becoming more human-like by the second. His use of the language took much effort and was amateur. After his full materialization, his skin had a very jade tone, looking shiny, slick to the touch, and scaly.

Ionia had partially expected some aspects of their meeting, but in all honesty, she didn’t know what the ocean people were like. The creature stepped toward her. “Our people are not exactly ecstatic about this unfortunate turn of events,” and Ionia could see it in his countenance. He was not pleased to be meeting her that way.

“Forgive me if I cannot enter the water and meet you as you would like,” she almost snapped. She wasn’t really happy about it herself.

“You very well can,” he responded. Another figure clumsily emerged to his left. “My name is Nalin,” he said as the uncouth figure became fully apparent, “and this is Linden, our resident Wizard.” Ionia knew from their standpoint a wizard was like a scientist, but she didn’t trust Nalin. Linden was young and inexperienced looking. He was much more attractive in appearance than Nalin, but he appeared to be awkward and inept. She knew that to be a Wizard, one must be of impressive skill, but this was quite unbelievable. “Don’t let Linden’s modesty fool you,” Nalin must have seen the skepticism on Ionia’s face. “Linden is out of his element. He is quite the genius when it comes to his trade. He is the greatest Wizard we have ever known.”

“And what does your Wizard have to do with me? You said that by our meeting we could resolve the conflicts between our people,” Ionia only wanted the fighting to stop. She wasn’t exactly a kind-hearted individual. Who she had become was primarily due to the effects of the wars. Humans had come to fear every aspect of the ocean, but she had always dreamed of venturing over that beautiful embodiment of water.

“Our hatred for one another is an unjust prejudice. There are good people among you, just as there are bad among us. As long as the bad continue to fight, we will forever be at war. That does not mean the good cannot come to some sort of concordance. However, we hope that you will represent your people well, as you will have to submit to many arduous conditions.”

“Nothing can be as unbearable as what I have already experienced due to the war. If it can keep those things from happening again, there is much I would do. But don’t expect me to be so pleasant,” Ionia set some conditions of her own.

“You have the honor of being the only human we would contact. Most of our people would disagree because humans have been painted as horrible destructive beings,” Linden timorously spoke. “Now please come this way.” Ionia stepped up to him. He took her arm and everything around her became darkness.

She awoke aghast, her body trembling. She attempted to inhale and her mouth filled with water. She was hardly able to turn her head, but she could see Linden. He never adverted his attention from his task as he spoke, “Stop trying to use your lungs. Your body has already adapted to using your new gills.” Linden was composed and almost audacious. Ionia futilely attempted to speak. Most of her body was paralyzed.

“You’ve been modified so that you can live here with us,” he explained a bit, smiling insidiously. “I have thoroughly enjoyed working with you,” he went on. “This was a challenging assignment!” Ionia tried to look at herself. Her body appeared to be a pearl purple color, glittering blue in the flittering watery light. Someone else floated into the area. “Destin will be your guide around our radiant world.” Destin bowed.

“I have long awaited your awakening, Ionia,” his smile was dazzling, although Destin looked nearly exactly like Linden.

“I pride myself in saying my brother is the kindest of us all. He will take good care of you,” Linden grinned.

“I hope Linden didn’t freak you out too much,” Destin said. “He’s a bit eccentric.” Destin noticed her worried expression.

“She is still unable to speak, Destin,” Linden had gone back to his work.

“You’ve been here for quite a while, Ionia,” Destin spoke softly, concerned for her. “At least six months…”

As time passed, Ionia enjoyed learning about the new world she had become a part of. Although she had only just been able to speak, and very little at that, Destin explained to her everything she needed and wanted to know, but there was one question that especially plagued her.

“What… am I to do,” she struggled, “to stop… the war?” She finally asked. Destin’s expression dropped as his heart sank. He turned to Ionia with horror-filled eyes.

“I was afraid you would ask…” Ionia’s heart beat with anxiety. “During your operation… extremists among our people completed and utilized a weapon that nearly wiped your people out entirely.” Ionia felt great consternation. Destin regretted having to inform her.

Ionia remained stationary for a while. She was shaking. Eventually, she returned to the surface, and once again she could not believe her eyes. The world she knew was utterly obliterated. Her heart sank into darkness.
Written in Microsoft Word with 11pt font.
Final notes: After the conditions changed from 2 pages to 1,000 words, I had to chop my story up TAT ... So I cut some details I rather liked and now it doesn't flow as well as it did before, but I hope it still sounds okay :'(

Username: Goblin Maiden
Submission:

SPOILERX

Jason strode mechanically to the gathering of trees that stood at the end of the road. He shoved aside a bough that had grown out to conceal a small path down to the beach.

He and Maria had discovered that trail on one of their frequent walks. ‘Come on, Jason, you know you’re curious,’ she had wheedled at him until he’d agreed to see where it led.

He took that path now, until he encountered not dirt, but sand and…

He couldn’t believe his eyes.

A ship, like those Spanish galleons he’d read about in high-school history years ago. It was run up on the sand, torn-edged planks and splinters lying about, as if it had been blasted by canons.

There were lights shining through the holes in the side of the craft, which was tilted crazily as if it might fall onto its side at any moment. And… was that MUSIC he heard drifting from the ship?

‘You know you’re curious.’

Before he knew it, he had crept over to the ship and peered in through a hole that was roughly eye-height, cautious of the splintery sides.

Men and women in elaborate formal dress were whirling hand in hand beneath chandeliers hanging from the white-washed ceiling.

What WAS this? Some over-the-top costume party by one of the rich businessmen in town?

“Jason.”

He yelped, twisting around so fast he nearly fell over.

“…M… Ma…”

She was dressed in the same fashion as the dancing women inside the ship. Her smile was dazzling and only for him.

“Maria,” she finished for him. “Oh, Jason, let me look at you. It’s been so long.”

She reached out towards his face.

Could he be blamed for flinching?

Her smile dimmed. “Of course. You don’t believe it’s me.” She took his hand before he could protest. “See? I’m real, Jason. Or at least solid. Believe what you want. Right now, all that matters is that I’m here with you.

“Now,” Maria continued, her grin brightening slightly. “How’s Becka? I miss her so much.”

His shoulders stiffened. “She’s fine.”

“It’s only been three years; I still know when you’re lying, Jason.” She did not speak further until she had led him through the grand double-doors into the ballroom. He did not know where they had come from, and right now, he didn’t care.

“Is she in trouble?”

They were out on the dance floor, swaying to the song pouring from the orchestra.

“Not exactly, but…” If this was a dream, why wake up? “She wants to go to this party. I told her she couldn’t go. She got mad. She…”

He closed his eyes.

“…said she wishes you were here, instead of me.”

“Oh, Jason.”

“I don’t know what to do, Maria. She listens to me, but only because I’m her father. I think… she resents me.”

There were tears in his wife’s eyes. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. “I wish I hadn’t gone out… I should have seen that car…”

The dancing around them was a stark contrast to Maria dissolving into tears in Jason’s arms.

“Jason, I’m sorry! In the hospital… Becka was crying, and you looked like… If I were still with you, things wouldn’t be this way between you and Becka. You wouldn’t be--”

“Shh.” He kissed the top of her head. “You couldn’t help that car running the light. You can’t help what’s going on with me and Becka… Maria, why haven’t you moved on?”

“I know it’s been three years. But Jason, I couldn’t do this before. I couldn’t let you know I was still here like this. Because I feel guilty, and it hurts so much… I couldn’t take it anymore. I told myself, ‘next time he comes down to the beach, you’re going to face him.’ But I didn’t know it would be like this.

“Why a ship, of all things? Why these clothes?” She picked at some lace on her voluminous skirt. “That’s the weird thing about being like this. You don’t get a say about anything that happens.”

Jason didn’t answer right away.

“I think you’re wrong, Maria,” he finally said.

“What?” She looked up.

“You do have a say. I think all this is you. How you’ve been until now.” He gestured to the dancers, the holes in the side of the ship. She looked at him as if he were nuts. Which maybe he was. She also looked as if she were thinking as hard as he had been.

“That car… totaled mine, didn’t it? Just… like…” Looking around, she shook her head. “But I don’t get this ball.”

“It’s just like that moment. You loved playing music in your car. And nobody’s stopped dancing, except us, this whole time… You haven’t stopped blaming yourself this entire time.”

She stared at him, then shook her head. “You always were the smart one, Jason Leary.”

He grasped her firmly by the shoulders. “Maria. Listen to me. You have to go.”

“But… You and Becka…”

“We’ll be fine.” Jason was working it out in his head as he spoke. “She’s not a bad girl. She just wants to have a life of her own.”

And he’d always pulled her back from that.

‘If your ears get pierced, you might get an infection.’

‘You’ll fail school if you keep texting so much.’

‘Anything could happen to you at that party!’

“It’s not really her I’ve been protecting. She’s been trying to grow up, and I’ve been stopping her.”

His wife nodded. “I know you don’t want to lose her, but she’s a smart girl. Let her have some reign, Jason. And don’t worry about me.”

She smiled, leaned up and kissed him.

“We’ll all be all right.”

Then everything dissolved like foam into just the sand and sea and himself. And a last lingering voice, as faint as the cry of a far-off gull.

“I love you both. Goodbye.”

Jason stood still for a moment, then turned towards home; he wanted to talk with his daughter.

Final notes: At first I had trouble thinking of something to write about. Then I decided to run with the idea of a party, and it just grew from there. To seven pages in my Word processor. It was painful to cut it down to 1,000 words EXACTLY, but I did it! 8D

Username: Kattsyn
Submission: Stopping to think...

SPOILERX

As Zilra washed the laundry in the ocean, she though of the day she and the others came to the island, this island, she was so youthful then. People yelling, metal breaking, glass shattering, and wood splintering, these were the sounds that woke Zilra that night. "Run!" someone screamed, 'Where?' thought Zilra. Zilra was one of the lucky ones, she did NOT get on a life boat, as the ship sank into the warm waters the rats ran to the life boats, most people didn't notice them 'till it was to late, after two weeks the rats began to bite people, then eat them, tossing the rats out did nothing to detour them from swimming back, those clinging to debris were poorer and had no problem eating rats. After almost two months adrift the rats were gone but land was on the horizon, "By the Gods, we are saved!" a man cried. On the shore it was evident that other ships had wrecked here before them, a large ship was lying on the beach, Zilra couldn't believe her eyes, it had been CUT in half, not broken. Zilra inspected the huge ship, she suggested putting a long plank to bridge the two half's, sew some of the tarps together, some planks on the ground to sleep on, then put the big tarp over the one long plank and make a tent for the night. After some years they all knew they were never going to be rescued, everyone worked hard to make the island home, there were naming ceremonies for Maggie's babies(twins), then Elma's, Tegwen's, Kathryn's, and finally Zilra's, and the island was named after the ship that was now home, 'Spencer's Cove'. Zilra thought "Life is harder here but it's also much sweeter." "Grandmother!" called Magnus "It's getting late, let me help you!", "Yes so much sweeter for a woman descended for the slave market."

Final notes: The last part was inspired from my one from my grandmother stories(she is a great storyteller!).

Username: Vexatious~Venom
Submission:

SPOILERX

She couldn't believe her eyes, it was just so much greater than she had ever expected. It was a swirling mass of colours, from soft golds of the sand to deep azure of the sea. For the first time in her life she was experiencing something that others could only dream of, something no-one else in her family had done: Go to the beach.

Fair enough she had to endure a six hour coach ride with others 'contest winners' some of which were vile and immature, but it was worth it.

She walked onto the sands, feeling the warm grains squish inbetween her toes. She wiggled them in delight. This was the single greatest feeling she had ever had. As much as she loved her home and the life she had, she couldn't help but wish she could live here all the time, leave the city and relax in the perfect vacation spot.

She lay down her red and white striped towel that she borrowed from a neighbour and sat down on it, burrying her feet deep down in the sand. She watched as the other kids from her school who had been lucky enough to win this trip run around, throwing balls and splashing in the sea.

She longed to do something like that. To join in. But would they really accept her in? Someone like her never got accepted. Constantly shunned and forever alone she never really expected it to change.

Sighing she stared out into the calm waters beyond. She watched as the waves made their way in and crashed onto the shore, white froth bubbling on the sand. Her mother had told her to go for a paddle, but of course, hearing some of the stories about shark attacks and box jellyfish she was far too nervous. Did those silly fish really think she was going to prance into the sea, foisting her bare tootsies at them to feast upon? Pfft, she thought not! No, she was quite content on her towel.

Time here seemed to go so slow. If felt as if life had been paused, the clouds didn't appear to move, no wind or rain came and the perfect conditions stayed that way, perfectly perfect in every way.

That's when she saw it. Right on the horizon line. She couldn't be sure at first as it was so far away, but as the tide dragged it in she was certain. A large sea creature of some sort was heading straight towards the beach, and no-one appeared to have noticed.

Her heart began to race and she felt panicked. What should she do? Should she alert the beach goers of what was going on? No...she could see it now. This would make her even more of a laughing stock than she allready was. She curled her knees up to her chin and watched.

Slowly but surely it came closer and closer to the shore. A huge beast of a creature, a pearly white with large black slodges dotted around it's vast body. She gasped as she took in it's form. She had seen this before, only in books of course, and she had never believed it was real. But no, the long lost and rarely spotted Whale Cow did exist, and it was swimming the seas around her.

Passers by had began to notice. They stopped what they were doing, slowly backing away from the waters edge. Children cried and mothers screamed whilst fathers tried to gather their famillies together. Panic has set in and people were rushing from one area to the next, trying desperately to get off of the beach.

But for some reason she wasn't scared. She wasn't worried. She was right up on the sands. The Whale Cow couldn't hurt her. Perhaps this single reasuring thought was what gave her the high of her life, perhaps it was that one thought that made her do one of the stupidest things she had ever done.

She stood up, calmly, and started to walk towards the waters edge. She could hear people from her coach screaming her name, shouting for her to return. But she ignored them. The closer she got the less worried she became.

The Whale Cow was gently bobbing about in the deeper waters, still very near the shore though. It was such a beautiful creature, sucking gently at seaweed and splashing things in a playful manner with its tail.

Perhaps it was the playful nature of the creature that made her do something beyond belief, but whatever it was that made her do this was powerful, and she couldn't resist.

Still fully clothed in her capri pants and tank top she went into the water, she wasn't very keen on water and she wasn't a strong swimmer, but this was different. It felt good. She somehow knew exactly what to do. She slid forwards, somehow gliding towards the creature. It had noticed her by now, and was watching her in curiosity.

She slowly edged into the deeper water, breathing deeply, and moved ever closer to the Whale Cow. It made one of the most bizare noises she had ever heard, sort of between a low moo of a cow and a high-pitched 'woo' that a whale makes. She giggled and swam right up to it.

She tentatively reached out a hand and touched the Whale Cow. It put on something that sort of looked like a smile, and she felt safe. She could still hear the screams from the shore. Treading water she turned around and waved a hand to try and reassure the others.

As she turned she could hear a soft splash behind her and felt an odd pressure on her head. Gently looking up she saw that the Whale Cow was resting a flipper on her head.

The crowd on the beach gasped, but no harm was done. From that moment on she became known as the 'Girl With A Whale Cow On Her Head'

Final notes: Whale Cow On My Head is the greatest item ever <3

Username: Esmme
Submission: Fate's Chance

SPOILERX

She couldn’t believe her eyes. She’d asked for a change in her life, but she wasn’t prepared for such trauma. Shara had been with her parents on the deck of the most beautiful ship she’d ever seen. Their vacation had started early, and the three of them had planned on making it a short one – but things rarely go according to plan.

Water swept into the hallway, forcing a few wailing cries up from the people behind them. Shara ran toward the upper deck, sobbing as her dress weighed her down. “Someone help me!”

The black fabric she was decorated in made the young woman stumble, and a few other frantic people pushed their way past her. No one bothered to help Shara as she fumbled with her shoes, tripping on her hem and being swept off of her feet by another rush of frigid water. Crying out for help, she choked on the salty liquid, coughing as she pulled herself to her feet. With her long black hair plastered to her form, Shara shivered and made her way shakily toward the stairway once again.

Out on deck, chaos reigned supreme. Her blue eyes raked over the noisy crowds, searching for either of her parents. “Mama!” Shara pulled on one woman’s arm, only to find a stranger. Sobbing again, the youth headed for another seemingly familiar individual. “Papa?” Nearly hysteric, Shara felt herself become entwined with the crowd, unable to free herself from the tangle of limbs and shouting people that forced their way to the lifeboats. They were sinking, and fast.

A violent shudder rocked the ship, and a chorus of horrified screams rose over the rush of the choppy water. With a quick glance toward the bow, Shara’s breath caught. One of the life boats had tipped, trapping many of its occupants under the water. Surly they wouldn’t be able to reach the surface before being pulled down with the ship? The girl pushed against the sweating individual to her right, stumbling away from the body of people.

Just as panic finally overtook her, a cold hand grasped Shara’s sleeved arm. Looking up with wide blue eyes, she saw a stranger with a stoic expression; calm amongst the storm. The tall elf merely pulled her along, saying nothing as he forced her toward one of the quickly filling boats. When she looked at the occupants, Shara cried out in relief. Her mother and father were amongst the twenty others, clutching one another worriedly.

Feeling herself being lifted from the ship’s slippery deck, Shara touched one of the pale hands that set her down in the escape boat.

“You’re not coming?” Her accented voice was shrill with emotion, and Shara’s gaze flickered back to the silver-haired male. When he shook his head, she snagged his hand. “You can’t stay on the ship!”

Her rescuer smiled grimly, pushing her back into the seat beside her parents before turning his back and heading into the frenzied activity. Shara could only watch him go as her mother’s arms wrapped around her, pulling her close. The family huddled together, shedding tears of joy and fear as they were lowered into the sea. From there, they drifted until someone on board picked up the oars and started paddling toward shore. The sad thing was that they were only a few miles away from land, yet so many would die. Shara clung to her mother, darkness chasing the corners of her vision. It was then that fate dealt a cruel blow.

As they got closer to land, the waves became fiercer, tearing at them like monsters from the depths of the ocean. All at once, the boat tipped, throwing all of them from it’s safety.

Shara shrieked as she felt her mother slip away, pulled back into the roaring water. A bright burst of pain struck her head as the boat moved by, knocking her senseless. As freezing darkness sucked her down, the girl struggled against it. Unfortunately, being desperate didn’t save her from the ocean.
-

“You don’t remember me?”
Shara looked at the pale man in confusion. Her delicate hand fingered the bandage wrapped around her head, and with the slightest of movements, she shook her head.

The elf raked a hand through his silver hair, sighing. Forget it then. “I was there when the ship was sinking,” he said, his duel-colored eyes moving over her freshly cleaned cotton shirt and pants. They weren’t lady’s clothing, but they would have to do until more clothing was brought in from the wreck. “I saw your family.”

Truly, Shara couldn’t remember who she was, who she had been with, or what had happened. “My family?” Sounding shaken, she turned her blue eyes to the elf, watching him desperately. “What of them?”

“They didn’t make it,” the stranger said bluntly. He turned toward the window, leaning against its frame as he watched the busy street below. From the second story of the inn, the elf observed many survivors receiving aid and shelter from the occupants of the town.

Hearing his brusque manner, the young woman ducked her head, frowning. She didn’t remember her parents, but the words drew a veil of sorrow over her heart. “Oh.” A silence filled the room, and Shara fiddled with the thin blanket of the bed she was borrowing before gathering the courage to speak again. “Who are you?”

With a raised eyebrow, the tall elf merely shook his head. “Another survivor,” he muttered, turning away from the morning light. Stepping over to her bed, he offered a hand in a brisk motion, his smile grim. “I am someone who is ready for a second chance at life.”

As soon as her hand met his cold touch, Shara smiled at the scene that flickered through her mind. A savior. A second chance for the both of them.

Final notes: Always up for creating something with writing. *taps end of gold-inked feather*

Username: Rainbows
Submission:

SPOILERX

Karyn had grown used to her parents leaving her behind by the age of eight. That didn’t change the fact that it stung, even now, at seventeen years old. This morning, she’d woken up to find a box of half-eaten doughnuts and a scribbled note resting on the kitchen counter:
karyn
went out with daddy. be back by the weekend
love, mommy ♥

Nibbling on a slightly-stale and jelly-filled doughnut, Karyn gazed out the window. She frowned at the beautiful sunrise; they must have left while she was sleeping. Setting her jaw, she grabbed the note, crumpled it into a tiny ball, and promptly threw it out the open kitchen window for a gull to catch. Storming out through the sand-blasted screen door, she stomped into her flip-flops and onto the beach.

I won’t cry, I won’t cry, I won’t cry – she’d accepted the jelly-filled peace offering, after all.

“I won’t cry…” Very convincing. She ignored the trail of moist spots in the sand behind her and ran to the edge of the ocean, letting the salty water lap at her toes. A deep breath slowed down the tears, and a step further made her thoughts stop racing. One more eased her heart. One last step allowed the waves to crash into her and almost throw her off balance, bringing a slight smile to her face.

She didn’t want to dwell on it, but she did. When she saw the note, she couldn't believe her eyes. Despite the strong desire to forget about it completely, her bitter thoughts ploughed through all mental defenses she was frantically attempting to erect. Today was Monday. Tomorrow was Tuesday. Tuesday was going to be the biggest day in her dancing career. She was an amateur, of course, but there was going to be a scout at tomorrow’s show; she was confident in her talent and that the scout would want her. She wanted more than anything right now to know that her parents would be at the show. She didn’t care that they hadn’t come to see her dance for nearly two years; they said they would come. She needed them to be there, just this once.

“Please…” Her smile had long ago disappeared, and the tears were threatening to spill over again. “Please, come back tonight.” She chewed on her lip, her body sagging as if being pulled down by something dreadfully heavy. “Tomorrow, even… Just, please. Be there.” Despair.

She spoke to the ocean as if it could relay her message to her parents, as if it could whisper into their ears no matter the distance. She confided, in tears and anguish, in the ocean, even though she knew it would never happen. They wouldn’t be back until Sunday, next Monday, or maybe even later. They wouldn’t ask what they had missed, they wouldn’t care, and they wouldn’t listen if they were told. They never did.

“If they won’t watch me...” She turned up her chin, spreading her arms to take in the golden sunlight. “Someone will.” Sea birds soared above her, searching for foolhardy fish to swoop down to and steal away. “The birds know.” The waves around her shone, catching the sun and turning it into a rippling canvas of glitter. “The ocean sees.” She closed her eyes and fell backwards, plumes of water jumping into the air around her.

Her flip-flops slipped off her feet as she slowly sank. They floated beside her, seemingly sad to see such talented feet drifting away from them. The water above Karyn foamed and splashed as streams of bubbles rose from beneath. She was letting the ocean into her, rejecting the air and her parents. They didn’t matter anymore. They weren’t there for her. They weren’t pulling her out of the water. They weren’t being pulled away by a powerful undercurrent.

Final notes: My intention was to write a story to elaborate on a mini-poem I wrote earlier today, but it (obviously) didn't turn out that way. It was fun to write, nevertheless :sweat:
An incantation in morning light
Dew on grass, sparrows' flight
Carefree dances, never slight
The future always looked so bright.

Username: Cicadetta
Submission: The Missaukee

SPOILERX

Brilliant blue waves flowed rhythmically over the stony beach, the water sounds accompanied by smooth limestone and granite cobble gently clattering together. Over eons they would add to the sand, littered with sparse grasses and sharp zebra mussel shells, a few yards further inland. And then there came the upland, held together by the roots of hardy wildflowers, and taller beach grasses, and the even some of the mixed evergreen and deciduous forest that grows in the far northeast of lower Michigan. And in an area where the trees had been replaced by tame, manicured lawn, there was a lighthouse.

It was a bright clear day at the lighthouse. The lighthouse itself, far from majestic, was a boxy, red brick building, practical and comfortable. Part of it did serve as a home for the keeper of the bright, reliable light. The rest was a museum, as was the boathouse, and the grounds both rested on. Really, it was more of a park than anything, a safe and popular destination for tourists and locals alike.

Today, though, only one family frolicked on the beach. Three children, clad in bathing suits and water shoes to protect their feet from the stones, splashed in the cool water as their parents looked on, perfecting their tans. Lake Huron was calm this time of year, and a welcome haven in the midsummer heat. There were no undertows to worry about at this beach, so long as the children didn’t go too far from shore. There were no giant waves on a day so fair that only a few sparse white clouds drifted in the azure sky. There were no dangerous creatures to worry about so long as Laila, the five-year-old, didn’t try to put one of those sharp little shells in her mouth. Seagulls screeched over the water, more melodic land birds sang from the inland direction, and distant sailing vessels seemed to fly silently along the horizon.

Then came the deep drone of a horn, startling everyone from their beach hypnosis. There, in the near distance, closer than the ships on the horizon, was a vast, long, steel-hulled shadow, creeping through the waves. It seemed to be traveling through a sort of mist. Perhaps it was a cloud of accumulated vapor from the smokestack near the bow. It made the ship seem translucent, whatever it was. This was no ferry and no barge. Nothing the beachgoers really recognized. The children and their parents all stared slack-jawed. They couldn’t believe their eyes.

Then Ellen, the eldest at fifteen, decided, “I think it’s a pirate ship.”

“No it’s not,” Eddy, the middle child, retorted. “It doesn’t have sails! Or cannons!”

“Somali pirates don’t have those.”

“Those aren’t real pirates.” Eddy, who had developed a Jack Sparrow fixation years before, and had even stolen his mother’s best eyeliner for the purposes of play-acting, had very definite ideas about buccaneers. The TV news had nothing to do with them.

“Are too!”

“Are not!”

“Big boat!” added Laila, pointing, even as she felt her father’s protective hand on her shoulder.

“Yes, it is a big boat,” Jeff, the father agreed.

“Oh, that’s the SS Missaukee,” said a weather-roughened voice, approaching the family from behind. He was a short stocky man, with an equally weather-roughened face, and he talked through a thick, graying beard. “It was 1915, and she was hauling limestone to Chicago, like she usually did. But she hit a bad squall up by Bois Blanc Island, and crashed ashore near Pointe Aux Pins. About thirty men died. Real tragedy.” He adjusted the collar of his red flannel shirt, his eyes sparkling with barely hidden emotion. “She attempts her run once or twice a year now. It always ends the same. Rare treat to see, though.”

The family turned around stared in curious silence. Who was this man? The lighthouse keeper? He didn’t look like a lighthouse keeper.

Then, after the long silence Laila asked, “What’s a limestone?” She imagined citrus fruit sculpted from shiny green rocks.

“I’ll explain later, honey,” replied Susan, ushering her daughter away.

“I told you it wasn’t pirates.”

“Can we go to Mackinac Island now?”

“Let’s go back to the hotel and get cleaned up first, okay?” said Jeff, nodding his thanks to the old man as he herded the kids back to the bright red mini-van. His wife rushed between children, wrapping them in bright rainbow towels and brushing off sand in an effort to preserve some of the vehicle’s interior. It was a losing battle.

“Yay, fudge!” the kids cheered, anticipating the ferryboat ride and forgetting all about storms and limestone. Whatever that was.

The old man watched them go, and wished them the best.

--

As the van drove off onto the meandering coastal road, the old man turned back toward the lakeshore, then looked up at the patient little lighthouse. “Kids today,” he lamented, shaking his head, “just don’t appreciate a good, honest ghost ship.” And then he disappeared.

Final notes: The location described in this story -- Forty Mile Point Lighthouse, near Rogers City, Michigan -- is real. Great Lakes maritime history is full of real shipwrecks, but this one is as fictional as the characters depicted. Enjoy!

Username: Vix Viral
Submission: Treading Water

SPOILERX

The year is 1889. A rudimentary ice breaking ship slowly carves its way through the floating chunks of ice that clutter the Beaufort Sea. Her name is the Durandal. She was once a proud whaling vessel, however, after being sold off, the Durandal’s hull was reinforced with steel and she was converted into an ice breaker. The only pieces of her previous life that remain are the two large harpoon guns located on her deck. She was purchased by Vincent Humboldt, a self-proclaimed explorer of worlds unknown. Also on the ship are a number of deckhands, including one of the Durandal’s former whalers, Sebastian Galloway. This is his story.

…I wish you could see how beautiful the ocean is, Beatrice. The ice bergs resemble large clouds albeit extremely cold. I will be home soon, my love, and then I can tell you of all the things that I have seen on my journey.

Your Beloved,
Sebastian

Sebastian drew his quill back from the paper with a soft sigh. It had been approximately two weeks since he had sent his last letter home and in that time he had written two more. The short paragraph he had just finished made up the third. Sebastian missed his Beatrice dearly but life is a gamble and he had decided to place on last bet before submitting to the duties that were expected of a proper husband. If he and the crew of the Durandal could complete their journey, they would be the first to successfully navigate the Northwest Passage and would gain fame and fortune.

I’ll be able to retire a rich man…Sebastian thought to himself with a smile as he placed his writing materials in a small black chest with the rest of his belongings. He watched his fellow novice explorers retreat to their cabins for the night as he awaited his orders.

“Galloway! It’s your shift!” Called a voice from the deck. Sebastian recognized it as Humboldt’s, the expedition’s leader, and quickly made his way to the Durandal’s bridge where he was greeted with Humboldt’s cold stare. “I don’t have to remind you that the ice here in the Beaufort Sea is a death trap and that this is the most important voyage you’ll ever be on, do I?”

“No, sir.” Sebastian willed himself quiet as Humboldt continued issuing thinly veiled threats. It was only after he had repeatedly reassured Humboldt that he would not sink the ship that he was finally left in peace. The first few hours passed quietly. Only the sound of splintering ice filled the night air and Sebastian’s thoughts turned to his beloved Beatrice. If all went according to plan, they would be reunited in a few short weeks and married soon after. It was during one of these daydreams that Sebastian spotted a patch of ice directly in the ship’s path. The ice flow was far too large to sail around, it was time for the Durandal to really put her new hull to the test and plow her way through the frozen mass.

“Alright, girl. Easy does it!” Sebastian said, his voice barely a whisper. The ship’s hull made contact with the sheet of ice and held fast for a moment before the ice began to crack and give way beneath the pressure. Sebastian could not help but flinch as the piercing sound made its way down his spine and through his body. And so the Durandal continued to press forward through the ice flow for the better part of an hour.

The sun was beginning to rise when the ocean began to churn and bubble around the vessel. The movement caught Sebastian’s attention for a moment but he attributed the water’s strange behavior to the shifting of the ice. Suddenly, a long, pale tentacle snaked its way over the deck and curled itself around the bow of the ship, causing it to pitch forward.

“What the hell’s going on?!” Humboldt cried as he appeared on deck followed by the rest of the previously slumbering crew. Then he caught sight of the mass of semi-translucent flesh encircling the front of the Durandal, “…Dear God…”

Before Sebastian could form a response, another appendage appeared from the depths and took hold of the ship’s stern. The vessel rocked back and forth as the suckers on each limb felt and tasted every object they came across. The ocean continued to churn as the body of the creature broke the surface accompanied by several more of its arms. An enormous golden orb came up level to the ship’s deck and seemed to lock onto Sebastian. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He was looking into one of the eyes of the infamous Kraken of lore. It seemed…Angry.

All of a sudden, a loud crack filled the air and the beast’s tentacles tightened around the Durandal. Wood began to snap and splinter and steel was bent as though it were little more than a piece of straw. The cephalopod was dragging them under! Freezing water began to wash over the deck and flood the cabins as the ship and her crew were pulled under the surface.

Sebastian soon found himself underwater and quickly being pulled into its dark depths. He held his breath and looked up at the surface now bright with sunlight. He tried to swim upward but his chest began to burn, he was running out of oxygen. The sunlight at the surface was growing fainter and fainter. Then, as if sent by the Angel of Mercy, there was Beatrice just above the surface, beckoning Sebastian to go to her.

“Beatrice!” As soon as the name was spoken, Sebastian’s lungs filled with water and he sank back down, down into a watery grave at the bottom of the Beaufort Sea. There would be no escape for the Durandal and her crew, no glorious return home. Disturbing the Kraken had marked the end of their journey.

Final notes: I enjoyed writing this, I just wish we had a larger word limit :)

Username: nvs
Submission:

SPOILERX

As the woman entered the ballroom, her eyes immediately scanned her surroundings. Subconsciously making a mental note of the placement of the two doors, five windows, she elegantly walked towards the center. She felt the curious eyes, some jealous but most with interest. To her, all attention was nothing but a nuisance. She glanced at a handsome young man in a tuxedo, standing against the fireplace, who was staring attentively at a blonde young woman. The latter was dressed in a tight red dress and carried two glasses of champagne with her. The woman smirked, mocking their conspicuousness. She knew they wouldn’t be hindrances to her.
With the hint of a smile that lingered on her face, she walked towards Anthony Merritt, the owner of the villa where the social gathering was taking place. He was a rich man in his early sixties, who enjoyed an opulent lifestyle full of parties, women and alcohol. The woman observed that he was talking about one of his prized paintings to a business associate. That particular painting depicted a shipwreck in a violent storm. The painting’s artist was called Ivan Aivazovsky, and the woman was well aware of this. However, its significance to her would only be temporary. She did not value names the way most humans did.
“My name is Evelyn Wright.”
The name that mattered the most then was not hers.
“You must be Anthony Merritt. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she said with a gleaming smile. “I’m an art appraiser,” she told him with a well-practiced confidence.
The grey-haired man let his gaze slowly slide from her head to her toes, then back to her eyes.
“I’ve already had all of my paintings checked by a professional, but if there is anything else I can do for you…?” His voice was loud but strangely compelling.
“Your collection of paintings by Ivan Aivazovsky was analyzed by expert Geoffrey Turner, correct? He has sent me here because recently one of Aivazovsky’s works you possess has been seen in the Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Brussels. It is necessary to check which painting is the original.”
Before Merritt could answer, the girl holding the glasses of champagne appeared next to him and handed him one of the glasses.
“Here you go, Anthony,” she said with her face turned to him but her eyes on the woman.
Unaffected by the girl’s arrival, he asked: “Which painting are you talking about?”
“The Ninth Wave,” the woman replied, paying no attention to the girl.
A small crease appeared on Merritt’s forehead. “I am quite certain that I possess the original, but if you insist… Please follow me to the study.” He led the woman towards a door at the back of the room, which was noted by both the alarmed young girl and the man at the fireplace. The woman was not concerned by this. Merritt held the door open for her and then followed her inside, closing the door behind him. He gestured towards the opposite wall, were Aivazovsky’s masterpiece hung with its owner’s pride. Vivid colors illustrated the bright sunset and a sparkling ocean, soothing the men hanging onto the remnants of a wrecked ship.
The woman placed her handbag on a small table next to the door after taking out from it a pencil and a small notebook. She advanced towards the painting and started making annotations, scrutinizing the painting from various angles.
Merritt sat down on a couch opposite the painting. He was used to this procedure. His consciousness began drifting away. Closing his eyes, he attempted to remember how much champagne he had taken in that evening. Too much, he concluded. But not enough to make him fall asleep. He slowly breathed in, not hearing the woman’s footsteps approaching.
She raised her left eyebrow. She hadn’t expected this, but it was no surprise. The young girl must have put something in the man’s drink. Not that it mattered. It only made the woman’s job simpler. She walked towards the door, took her handbag, and then moved towards the couch.
“It’s a fake,” she whispered in Merritt’s ear.
Surprised, the old man awoke from his slumber. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He barely had the time to process the situation he was in, but he felt the danger. He felt the cold metal against his forehead, between his two eyebrows. He saw it, smelt it, tasted it. Fear crept in his eyes, taking over his entire body. And the fear would dominate his eyes forever. Because that’s what the woman had silently decided.
“Not that you’d care about that anymore,” she added with a crooked smile.
As she cautiously slid the gun back in her handbag, she heard the door creaking and looked up to see the younger woman staring at her with anger. Not three seconds later the girl was followed by the handsome young man, who stared at Merritt’s lifeless body with shock for a split second, morphing into an expression of frustration. He raised his eyes to the woman.
“So, you beat me to it?” he stated, rather than asked, with a cold smile.
“Guess so,” the woman answered with a tone of triumph.
She was not scared, but she could see the girl was. The younger woman had not anticipated the arrival of a third person, and her anger turned to anxiety. She nervously turned her head from the woman to the young man, then back again to the woman.
“I didn’t know Merritt’s head was wanted in France, Jerome,” the woman continued, not losing sight of the young man she had met in one of her many lives.
He stared at her with weary eyes. “You know how it goes…”
Both of them reached for their gun as the girl’s eyes widened. Then she shut them. She waited, knowing the opponents were oblivious of her. And as the silencers did their job, she smiled to herself.
“Child’s play.”

Final notes: I wanted to do something of a completely different genre :3 The characters are fictional, but the paintings, artist and museum all exist. My vocabulary is limited because English is my third language.

Username: Winter Wind
Submission:

SPOILERX

“Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate’s life for me!” Waving a black flag with a skull on it, a boy’s voice rang out in the clear blue sky. His matted golden hair sparkled in the sun, and his deep emerald-green eyes took in his surroundings.

His little yellow wooden ship was floating in calm waters, and the lazy breeze slowly pushed the ship forward. He took a swig from his flask, then lowered himself down onto the deck. There weren’t any other passengers, but his trusty mates Sammy and Todd came along on the journey. They were looking for something special – a hidden treasure that his father always talked about. Many a night had this dream of finding the treasure crept into his mind, and now it would finally be a reality. He closed his eyes and breathed in the warm, salty air. He spent a fortune on his boat, and he’d been planning this journey for ages. It’ll all be worth it at last, he thought.

Lost in his dreams of happiness, he was startled when a shadow passed over his face. Just a small bird, he mused, nothing to be alarmed over. He settled back into his dreams, only to sense a bigger shadow loomed over his face. He cracked open an eye, and suddenly he was up on his feet, dashing about and fixing everything in place.

“Sammy, Todd! Major storm approaching, major storm approaching!” he cried as he fastened the ropes to the masts.

A heartbeat later, Sammy and Todd burst from the doorway, and all three frantically tried to prevent things from getting wet, blown off, or thrown off. The boat was rocking violently, and he was finding it incredibly hard to not fall off –

A shriek rang out, and he caught Sammy just in time. He pulled her back in, and unceremoniously stuffed her into the cabin.

“Todd, move her starboard, move her starboard!” he cried frantically, trying to use his weight to turn the helm. Todd dashed over to his side to help, but their efforts were futile – the ship was headed straight for the storm!

“No chance Cap’n, we’re going to have to take it!” cried Todd, clutching onto the helm.

“Blast! Back into the cabin, Todd!” With that, both of them let go of the helm and dashed into the cabin.

Huddled together under a blanket in the dark cabin, the three soaked, cold, and frightened shipmates hoped that the storm would be over soon.

Please, please, please don’t blow us too far off-course! I must get to that treasure, he prayed.

All of a sudden, the ship stopped rocking. After waiting anxiously for a couple of minutes, he decided to check for damage. Pushing open the door, he couldn’t believe his eyes! There it was, shining in all its glory –

“TIMMY! Dinner!” shouted a female voice.

“Aw man…I was so close too,” muttered Timmy. He clambered out of his yellow inflatable boat, taking Sammy the Triceratops, Todd the plastic striped sailor, and his now-wet blankie. He was drying himself off with a towel when his mom came into the backyard.

“How many times do I have to tell you to stop bringing your blankie into the pool? Now we’ll have to wash it for the 4th time this week.” Shaking her head, Timmy’s mother led Timmy back into the house, and the screen door shut on his dreams…for now.

Final notes: Something to contrast the rather dramatic nature of shipwrecks and oceans. xD

Username: Nolori
Submission:

SPOILERX

Gayle was quite certain she was awake. There was an unexplainable certainty in the fact. When dreaming, Gayle had never questioned whether she was dreaming or not, she had simply gone along with the course of the dream until it ended. When awake and confronted with things she did not understand, she questioned her state. The question itself proved that she was conscious.

This settled, Gayle turned her concern to the wavering form of the wrecked ship on the coastline. It was a monstrous thing; rust covered the once white bow, metal moaned under the weight of the water, its sheer titanic size split into two by the ravaging of time. The destruction of such a beast was not uncommon. It was the edges of the ship that shimmered in and out of existence that bothered Gayle. But even this was not her foremost concern; her unnatural calm was a far greater worry than the ship. Did anyone look upon such a sight with so steady a gaze?

Gayle approached the vision, expecting it to vanish under her touch. It did not. The door leading into the wrecked pleasure ship opened easily, as though it were as corporeal as she. Old metal, weakened in its age, complained under her weight. Its previous passengers were not nearly as heavy as she. Their skeletons lay washed about the floor. Had the tides drifted the bodies from their death beds into the halls? She wasn't allowed much contemplation on the subject – the ship gave a lurch and a loud cry. Gayle stumbled backwards, but, much to her logic’s chagrin, she made no attempt to leave. She found it difficult to believe that a place as ethereal as this could do her harm.

The sound came again. The screeches of entwining metal echoed through the hall. The ship gave another lurch. Regaining her balance, Gayle moved through the labyrinthine corridors until she reached a large room, free of debris and death. The ship's steel girders were reaching out to their broken halves and, with a final concussion of sound, the ship had pulled itself back together. There was something comforting about the way the ship had healed itself, though Gayle could not express what it was. It soon became quite apparent that she was not alone in the thought.

Men and women had begun to gather in the great room, now restored to its full measure of size and splendor. Long coats and thick dresses brushed past her. Gayle turned to see them come out of the hall. Light gleamed off the white walls as the gala attendees gave her passing pleasantries. She understood the invitations to join their festivities, though the guests spoke no actual words. Before she turned to join them, the hall captured her attention. It had always been bathed in this light, hadn't it? Gayle couldn't remember anything different. Why did it attract her attention?

Turning away from the hall, she followed the guests into the great room. She brushed against their cold bodies and stopped at their touch. The dancers were calling out to her, though they used no words. They communicated to her through their actions - their arms reaching out to embrace her, their faces smiling and bodies swaying to some music that Gayle could not quite hear. What she did hear were the hoarse whispers that came from the dancers, as though they had long since forgotten how to speak. Were the dead dreaming of life? Were they calling her into their dream?

Gayle was quite certain she was awake. That certainty roused the panic of madness, of the dead and unknown. A scream locked itself in her throat. Unable to vocalize it and unable to be rid of it, she was choked to silence as she ran through the winding hallways of the ship. The shout swelled in her throat, making it difficult to breathe. Her lungs burned from suffocation as much as exertion. The white walls wavered between the lie of cleanliness and the rust of reality. The dancers continued to call out to her, their voices a buzz of white noise and twisting metal.

Gayle tripped over something as she ran. The obstruction was a corpse. Not the skeletal remains of a long dead passenger, but the body of some newer explorer, like herself. It quickly vanished into the lie. The dancers were approaching her. There was no anger in their false faces, only kind forgiveness.

She scrambled to her feet and continued down the hall. The door that led her into the madness of waking dreams came into view. The scream finally escaped her throat, in relief as much as fear. She made a final sprint for the door, only to find it locked. In this hallucinatory world, where the dead were healed with lies, the locks had been repaired. Another cry spilled from her lips as she threw her weight on the door.

The white noise of the dancers grew louder as they approached. Gayle looked over her shoulder to see them swaying towards her. The dance was unending. Despite, and perhaps because of, their wholly unnatural outlines, they were entrancing to the eye. Their arms were still held out to her – soft and inviting.

Gayle couldn't believe her eyes. She wouldn't. Shutting her eyes and backing up against the door, she relied on her other senses. The ship groaned in its age. The rough texture of the invisible rust scratched against her fingertips. The scent of decay overpowered the perfumed dancers. The rust scratched her back as she slid down the door and wrapped her arms around her head, trying to take refuge in reality.

She focused on what she knew to be real. The white noise died as the dancers did. The pungent smell of death filled the air. She had never been so glad to smell squalor. It gave her the courage to open her eyes. The ship was wrecked.
And Gayle was quite certain she was awake.

Final notes: My word count is exactly one-thousand, but I've checked elsewhere and some count it 1005. It seems to be because of grammar though (I use dahses), so I hope that's alright.

Username: Pearl
Submission:

SPOILERX

It was shortly after sunrise and the naval hospital was stirring. Nathan was dimly aware of the nurse who came through the door and briskly drew apart the curtains - the same routine for ten years. Nathan had been at the hospital ever since a shipwreck had left him dumb. This ward was reserved for officers, and as the son of one, he had been lucky. His trauma also manifested itself relatively calmly; not every patient in the ward could be left with an unlocked door overnight.

The nurse then broke her usual routine to tell Nathan he should dress for a visitor. His face did not easily express emotion, and although there was just the faintest twitch in his expression, the nurse read surprise and curiosity on his pale face as she straightened up the room.

The visitor was a young man in good clothes. He removed his hat, and Nathan sat on the bed. The stranger hesitated before taking the chair opposite. “Don’t you recognize me?” He smiled. Nathan was startled with a memory from ten years ago. He glanced to check the door was shut, then nodded. He couldn’t believe his eyes. It was George, a cabin boy and the only other survivor of the sinking. The two boys had drifted on a piece of wood all night long - one of them of the lowest rank, and the other the son of the dead captain.
“You didn’t talk much even then did you?” Nathan’s expression was hard.

“I’ll be frank, Nathan. I know that Fortitude wasn’t an accident, and that there are just two people behind it. One of them is dead, I saw him go. Of course, I haven’t come out with this because it’s just my word to say what happened and what didn’t, and who’d believe me? No one would have even paid much attention to the sinking if March hadn’t been captain. It wasn’t a warship, was it? It only had two cannons, and two barrels of gunpowder. On the night she sank, I went below deck to get something from storage - rum. There I saw Whittingstall light two short fuses, one for each barrel, stashed either side of the hull. Seconds after the explosion, with cold seawater flooding over our ankles, I had the scrawny bastard by the neck, my knife balancing on his jugular. I expect he had wanted to make a quick getaway. He spilled everything.”

George checked to see if his audience was paying attention. “According to Whittingstall, it was your uncle, Arthur March, who put the scum up to it. The Arthur March who married your mother a few years ago.” Nathan’s eyes were red and he was physically shaking by this point. Then he spoke, hoarsely, surprising even the relaxed and jocular George. “Why,” he breathed, “are you telling me this now?”

The visitor had placed his hat back on his head and was at the door. “First I had to find March and blackmail him for all he was worth.” He smiled broadly and seemed to leave, but one last thought struck him. He slipped a small object from his waistcoat, a solid gold ring, which he tossed towards Nathan. “Whittingstall’s payment, I found it on his body. It’s probably the least I owe you.” With that, he left. Nathan sat and examined the ring which had been left with him, noting the initials engraved inside the band. He stood. It was time to leave.

With information acquired from the hospital, Nathan sought out a house on Liverpool Street. The door to his dead father’s London residence was opened by a suspicious maid, and she asked him to wait outside. A minute later, the door was opened again and March rushed forward to greet him. “Nephew! Son! How happy this makes me, to have you back home once again. Of course, your mother is not in London, she dislikes living in the city immensely.” Nathan smiled and shook his uncle-father’s hand.

It was then that March noticed the ring on Nathan’s finger. His manner did not change much, but he dismissed the maid and opened the door to his study. Nathan bowed and went in, followed by the nervous man. Neither of them sat. March studied the young man cautiously, who was taking his time. He held up his hand and examined the ring, slightly theatrically. “This was my father’s wedding ring.” The statement held a sinister edge. March was silent. “It was found on the body of the man who blew up Fortitude. The question I want to ask is, how and why did he take it?” He chose that moment to draw his pistol.

March’s mouth curled in an ugly way. Still, he did not speak. “Now I’m not a very good shot, I admit. But as you’re two feet away from the end of the barrel, I expect you to choose your words very carefully.”
March shrugged. “Nothing can be proved.”
“Except, my father was supposed to be the only person on that ship who knew where the ring was kept. Why did you tell Whittingstall about the ring?”
The name produced a spark of recognition in March’s eyes. Slight, but enough. The gun was still pointed at his chest. “I wanted the job done. I wanted the ring. The ring tied him to Marjorie, I needed her to belong completely to me. Of course, Whittingstall never delivered it.”
“He was stabbed by the fifteen year old boy who retrieved it.”
“Pity.”
“The man who’s been blackmailing you.”
“Yes, it’s true.” His eyes darted to the gun. “So shoot me.”
“Father was no saint. You’re worse. Give me enough money to get to France, I’m through with this family. My father is in hell right now, and I have no intention of making it a family reunion.”

Nathan had a safe passage to Calais, but it was the last time he ever stepped foot on a boat.

Final notes: There may be some British spellings dotted about, and there's one reference to Hamlet (two words) which I hope does not count as plagiarism.

Username: fairywaif
Submission:

SPOILERX

Ghost Ball
The ship rolled into port, majestic. It looked exactly the same as it had the day it came off the loading docks, and was lowered into the water. It was gorgeous. It's prow seemed to sweep towards the sky. It's sides were smooth and gleamed. Sara couldn't believe her eyes. The infamous Danse de Morta. The dance of the dead. The ship was slightly transparent, as were
the passengers boarding it, same as they had for hundreds of years. The streamed into the boat, waiting in line patiently. Old habits die hard. Non-corporeal, they could slip through each other. Sara waited just as patiently i line. A few f the ghosts whispered at the sight of her. Not because her body was see through, but because she was dressed casually in jeans and a t-shirt. Not proper dress for a ball, and certainly not for a proper lady, they hissed. The boat was soon filled. Each dancer and their partner could fly across the room in twirls, without running 'into' a fellow dancer. Sara sat at the side and watched. The spirit orchestra tuned up their nearly invisible instruments, and began with a sprightly 4/4 waltz. Ghosts never get tired, but every so often a couple would leave the floor to allow another the chance to dance. Sara took it all in wide eyed. There were ghosts from every sort of death there. Those missing limbs from the war, ghosts with seaweed in their hair, some with bright red stains on their front, others who were stooped with old age but still loved to dance. And more! Here was one who had poisoned, another who had been trampled in a fox hunt. They all twirled and stepped lightly together. Even those who had killed each other, like these two in a duel. What a wondrous sight to see! Everyone dressed in silvery colors, their finest gowns and suits. Except Sara. The music begins to slow half a couple leave the floor.
"My partner hath retired before the moon ist half fallen. Thou art unaccompanied, fine lady. Prithee this dance?" A gentleman ghost of fine looks and sparkling air queried her. Sara nodded yes and they swept away across the floor. Sara found she could grasp his hands quite easily, insubstantial though he seemed. Perhaps just this one night he was closer to being alive. They traded small talk with each other, Sara trying to phrase things so he would understand.
"You go to a boarding school?"
"No, that is I don't board there. I only go during the day. And it's free."
"Strange wonders! Your vestments are traditional wear?"
"Yes. everyone wears something like this. Some wear dresses, but nothing so fancy as these."
"To see the day! Ladies in trousers."
They all dance until daylight begins to break over the horizon. Sara's dance partner, Richard kisses the back of her hand and leaves also. Then the ghosts all walk out again, the dance concluded. By the time the first fisherman arrives they are all gone, as if merely smoke and dreams. Sara is the only one left on shore, amazed by what occurred. And if you wait out by the docks one night late, perhaps you will see them faintly through the outline of the ship, dancing the night away.

Final notes: i was originally going to do a story about a ball AND a ship wreck, but it turned into simply a ball on a ship. Enjoy!

Username: [Pokered Face]
Submission: Grand Festival Ball: The most Epic Contest Battle ever.

SPOILERX

Caroline clenched her hands. Seeing that she won the first semi-final contest ball. She had to wait if either John or Ricky had won the second. She closed her eyes, then the screen backstage clicked on. The announcer, look as pretty as can be announced:
"It's all over folks, Ricky is our second finalist! Going against Caroline in the final battle. This is celebrating several years, so this will be the most epic Grand Festival ever. Wednesday will be the big day, everyone dress their best, this is one of the most extravagant ball ever, while being entertained with a one-pokemon Knock-out battle!"
"Wow, Ricky won." Caroline said surprisingly. She couldn't believe her eyes, she was finally going to have the chance to see who was the best coordinator out of the two.
Caroline worked hard the two days she had to prepare, she failed to check on Ricky, but he was her least concern, she knew the pokemon Ricky would chose was Arcanine. She knew she had perfected the perfect move with Roserade, so she decided to use Roserade first. She tried to work out a battle plan to compete with Ricky. She devised her plan and her best combination to beat Ricky. She knew Ricky would go offensive and evasive. So she needed to make her moves defensive and flashy, don't forget quick.
xThe day for the contest came, everyone arrived at the grand ball, it was an amazing venue, out on a large venue in Jubilife City.
"Welcome to the Jubilife Finally! On the left, we have CA-ROOO-LINE! And on the right, R-R-R-RICK-CK-CK-Y!" shouted the announcer. Within seconds the battle had begun, as foreseen Ricky's first pokemon was his Arcanine. Caroline threw Roserade's pokeball releasing her in an array of petals.
"Aha, Caroline, why would you pit Grass against Fire?" Ricky said in a cocky manner.
"I have my reasons, just make sure to keep it fun for me, Mr. Snore." Caroline giggled.
"Ok, then. Arcanine, use Flamethrower." Ricky commanded his pokemon. The canine pokemon growled firing up his mouth sending the fiery blast towards Roserade.
"Roserade, use Poison Jab." Caroline said calmly. The Grass pokemon fist glew a bright purple as it struck completely dismaying the fiery blast unscathed.
"What? How did you do that?" Ricky asked in an surprised tone.
"Luck." Caroline said.
"Ah, whatever! Arcanine, Fire Fang." Ricky shouted.
"Roserade, hop in to the ocean!" Caroline called. Hearing everyone's gasp, Caroline then shouted, "Roserade, Petal Dance!" Popping out of the water with a large typhoon-like swirl controlled by the array of petals, the pokemon thrust toward Arcanine. Hitting Arcanine the large canine was unable to battle. Caroline won the Festival. Given her ribbon she went to change clothes. She slipped on a short-belle dress paired with some gray flats. Ricky had changed into a cream colored tuxedo. As Ricky came into 6 inches away from Caroline body, he offered his hand.
"Care to dance?" Ricky asked.
"Yes, I do care." Caroline said giggling. The two slow danced for the rest of the Grand Festival Ball.

Final notes: (Pokemon is just epic.)

Username: Precarious Fool
Submission:

SPOILERX

It grandest treasure to have sunken to the bottom of the sea in years, and only the crème de la crème would be in attendance. Only the highest class cephalopods would partake in the merriments, as tonight, the RMS Titanic was rumoured to be the finest ship around, and what luck that it would sink here! Oh, how the fates did favour the high class of this part of the Atlantic.

There the ship lay, magnificent as ever. Rose looked on with delight, she couldn’t believe her eyes, it was by far the most exciting thing to happen in her short lifetime. In her finest wig, matching perfectly to her chromatophores, which were a lovely hue in this temperature and setting, she propelled through the large opening in the ship’s hull, and into the waiting ball room. Accompanying her was her mother, and her mate to be, Caledon, whom she despised with a passion. But of course, what was supposed to be a lovely time was turned sour by the pressure of her mother to impress Caledon, and the command that Cal expressed over her. It drove her to near madness, and she found herself in forgotten corridors, beholding the sights of the sunken treasure.

It was there she found herself tangled in a mass of strange items, strange things fashioned into clothing, but far too large for any squid. Alone, and forgotten, she figured herself for dead, and at this point, nearly succumbed to the idea, anything to save her from the impending mating of her and Caledon. But before she couldn’t entirely give in, she felt the helping tentacle of another squid, guiding her from her near self-inflicted doom. Saved by this strange cephalopod, who cordially introduces himself as Jack, and invites her to join the… lower class in their merriments. Tired of the uptightness, she agrees to partake.

Her merriment did not last long, of course, separated from Jack by the will of her mother (and a most convincing squid-servant), she found herself sulking to the side. Ruth, her overly-dramatic mother chattered on as Rose ignored every sound, unable to care about the trifles of her life and misfortunes, as they were simply the least of her worries. “Mother dearest, you simply don’t understand! Caledon is not the squid for me, he is ages older than me, and his chromatophores are dull at best!” Her mother hissed in a most unflattering manner, “Silly girl! Do you not understand, our debts will be paid for, and he is a most respectable squid, his family has some of the longest tentacles this side of the Atlantic! His hectocotyli are the very bane of many a squids existence!” Rose chortled and propelled off, in search of something less dull. She was forbidden to see Jack, the lovely cephalopod, but that did not stop her, it couldn’t, class meant nothing in place of love.

At the very bow of the ship she found Jack once more, and there they embraced tentacles, mantle to mantle they pledged themselves to each other, a forbidden love. It where there they felt the first tremor, and the ship creek and moan under them. Everyone else was ignorant to the fact, too caught up in their frivolousness to understand the danger that was coming. They felt the first tug, and watched as the ship slowly began to be pulled towards the massive crevice that had formed.

Rose sped to the ballroom, trying to warn of the impending danger, feeling the ship be tugged harder, before it was too late for any of them to escape. Jack had gone to tell the others, as they partied deep in the ship, and had little time. Pure panic erupted in both parts of the ship, squids clawing at every opening to escape before they were drug down and gone forever. In the chaos Jack tried to work around, he needed to find Rose once more, and make sure she was safe. As the ship creaked and moan, pulled in by the suction of the crevice, the walls shifted, the stairwell that Jack worked through began to cave in, a stray board pinning his tentacle and making his escape impossible. All the while, Rose frantically searched the ship, wondering if Jack had left without her. It wasn’t long before she heard his screams for help. The ship was teetering on the edge of the dark pit, and threatened to fall in, and be gone forever.

“Jack!” Rose cried, frantically trying to move the debris to free him. She managed to move the board enough to free him, and they, tentacle in tentacle, sped through the sinking ship, searching for an exit. They could feel the pull of gravity, and the ship teetering on the edge, about to be sucked into the darkness. Their exit came in the form of a staircase leading to the top deck, where the pull from the cavern was so great that they were sucked towards the darkness, as they tried their escape, Jack was tugged into the darkness, wrapping her tentacles around him, Rose held on for their life.

“Rose, you have to get out of here!” He cried as he felt the ship start to give in, and slowly begin to slip, threatening to fall off of its precarious perch at any moment. “Not without you, Jack!” She pleaded, her grip on him slipping with every second. “I’ll never let go, Jack!” Rose cried, but his tentacle slipped from her grip, and in an instant he was sucked into the cavern, forever pulled into the darkness. In a last moment of strength, Rose found herself propelling away from the ship, breaking the hold that gravity had on her. From a distance she watched as the ship was swallowed by the darkness, and forever lost to their world.

Final notes: Kitteh is not happy with it, for whatever crazy reason. But since people are telling me to post, I shall. So, here yah go.

Username: Naisou
Submission: Didn't your mother tell you...

SPOILERX

“ARGG!!!!” cried a voice, “Hand over yer treasures or feel the sting of me blade!” Raising a sword, the figure stalked closer to her cowering prey. “I am the feared pirate Sitha! Surrender or DIE!!!”

Swinging her blade, she hit the man, once, twice, and yet again, before running past in search of another unwary soul. “I’ll gut all ye scallywags unless I get …oomph!” she exclaimed, landing on her rump as her billowy skirts poofed up around her. Pushing them down far enough to see a man calmly placing his booted foot back down on the deck, the now pouting young girl called out, “Hey! You tripped me!”

“Aye,” The sailor said, raising an eyebrow at the girl sprawled on the ship deck, “and you beat up me mast.” Taking the mop handle, he continued, “We need that intact to keep moving, and I don’ want to be shipwrecked in these waters.” He glanced at the many broken, sinking carcasses of ships long forgotten, “ ‘Specially not with you going round spouting off about one of the feared pirates in these here waters.” Poking her lightly with the toe of his boot, “ Asn’t your mutter told ye it’s mighty bad luck to speak a pirates name while out on open water?”

“Necia!!” A woman scolded, stopping in front of the girl, “What have you gotten into now? Look at your dress, covered in dirt, yet again!” Looking toward the sailor she asked, “Was she playing pirate again?”

“Aye Miss. Adilena, another mop down.”

“Necia, you know such things are childish and not befitting of a young woman.” Adilena said sternly, “Come along then, let us get you ready for bed.”

“But mama,” Necia protested, whilst following her mother, “Gama always tells tales about the pirate Sitha to me, and even lets me act them out. And, I’m only nine…”

“I know your grandmother is always telling you stories about Sitha, and I should have ended it long ago.” Sighing, she said wistfully, “I just did not have the heart to tell her to stop, she loves her stories so. I felt it would break her heart, and the good lord knows if it happened again…well… Get ready for bed, and I shall bring you dinner, Miss. ‘I’m only nine.’ ” She teased.

Necia crept back onto the deck in only her night dress, stealthily making her way to the side of the ship. It was long after the men aboard had gone to bed, and the boat was eerily quiet. Looking out over the dark water, fog creeping and curling around forlorn pieces of ships, Necia sighed, “If only I was a pirate. Then life would be interesting.”

“Aye, interesting.” A voice wafted from behind Necia.

Gasping, Necia spun, and she couldn’t believe her eyes. Before her stood a woman with wild auburn hair braided with shining jewels and beads.

“I…um…”

Chuckling the woman asked, “Were you not the one who spoke my name upon these waters?”

Necia’s eyes widened, “Sitha?” she breathed out shakily.

“Aye,” Necia quaked, “Be not afraid. I won’t hurt ye. Take this.” Sitha said, holding out her hand.

Shakily, Necia took the offering, “Licorice?” she questioned.

“Ta calm the nerves.” Necia nodded, nibbling slightly, “Hmm, Didn’t yer mother ever tell you ‘Don’t take candy from strangers?’” Necia’s eyes widened as she attempted to thrust the candy back to Sitha. “ ‘st okay little one, I’m not really a stranger.” Backing away, she whispered, “Being a pirate is to lead an empty life.”

Bouncing out of bed the next morning, Necia ran to her mother yelling, “Mum, you’ll never guess what happened last night! I saw Sitha! The most feared pirate alive!! She gave me candy, and this ring was on it!! Although it’s too big…”

Adilena’s face paled with each word her daughter spoke.

“She had auburn hair, like mine, and weird violet eyes!!”

All the crew had grown fearful at Necia’s words and were scouting the waters, looking for the tell-tale signs of a pirate raid.

Adilena shook, and then, in a burst of energy rushed to the railing, screaming out, “How DARE you! How DARE you give that ring to her!! Come near her!” Slumping down she cried out softly, “What made you come back…now?”

“It’s alright mama,” Necia said in a small voice, “She didn’t hurt me.”

“No, she wouldn’t do that.” She said wistfully.

“Take her Adilena. My ship is no place to raise a child,” looking over her shoulder towards the burning hull of a ship she sighed, laughing bitterly, “ ‘Tis no place for anyone now.”

“Then stay! It was hard enough saying goodbye the first time. Please…Sitha” Adilena begged, eyes watering, “You cannot make me do this again…”

“No,” shaking her wild tresses, “I have no home here any longer. I know you’ll take good care of her. You always were the better woman.” Kissing the baby’s shock of hair one last time, she handed the bundle over to the younger, shell shocked woman, who numbly took it.

“I cannot, …” she started, “I have no husband, …I”

“Neither do I, but we both know who the better mother will be, Adilena.” Tears welled in fierce purple eyes, “Please Addie, for me? I won’t ask anything else of you.” She began backing away, “Mother always did love you most. You were the daughter she always wanted.” Tears welled anew, “Take care of yourselves.”

As she turned away, Adilena whispered, “Mother always was proudest of you. You were everything she wasn’t supposed to want in a daughter, but did. I’ll look after your daughter, my sister.”

Slipping out of her memory, Adilena looked out and saw a ship with a wild auburn haired woman at the helm. Sitha raised her hand to her heart, and inclined her head. Adilena smiled slightly, “Come Necia, shall we find you a chain for your ring?”

Final notes: Word says the count is fine, and everywhere else says it isn't. :( If you want I can try and chop out more words...

Username: Iltu
Submission:

SPOILERX

“It. Is. Going. To. Be. A. Ball.”
“Liliya, darling, are you quite clear on the definition of ball?”
“Yes, I am, and this is to be one!” Liliya, thin of body and still childishly plump about the face, placed her hands on her hips and tossed her dark hair. “Really, Vladimíra, you treat me as if I know nothing at all!”
“I don’t mean to, sweetling,” Vladimíra said, sweeping over the floor of their bedroom to adjust a ribbon Liliya had displaced with her dramatic gesturing. Liliya repressed a role of the eyes. She’d always thought that Vladimíra, even though she was only thirteen, acted annoyingly like their mother, from her constant fussing to the endless pet names.

“Grand balls don’t happen at the edge of the wood,” Yeva, the second eldest, said primly. “That’s ridiculous. You have them in the capital, with the czar and czarina and all the nobles and glittering lights and—”

“You don’t have to have to be in the capital for a grand ball,” Vladimíra interrupted. Yeva was known to go on and on and on about the city and how marvelous it surely was, how opulent the splendor must be. It quickly became tiresome when she got to talking about it for more than a few seconds, as Liliya well knew.

“But they certainly don’t happen on the edge of the wood!” Vladimíra continued, now speaking to Liliya. “Beloved, it is a wonderful thing, your imagination, but a line must be drawn somewhere. There are bears and wolves in the woods.”
“Not to mention evil fairies, leshii, and Baba Yaga herself!” Yeva added in a whisper, shuddering.
“There’s no such things, lovely,” Vladimíra said in a know-it-all sort of voice.

“Yes there are!” Liliya cried. “Well, Baba Yaga is just a story, a wili told me so. And as for leshii, they smell a little funny, but they are such reasonable fellows! Fairies aren’t evil, either, but I suppose they are rather beastly if they don’t know you very well.”

“Liliya,” Vladimíra said desperately, “you are a creative child. It’s wonderful that you’ve thought up stories about all these wicked creatures from legend and made them into kindly beings, but you must understand that they simply aren’t real!”
“They are real, but they aren’t goodly,” Yeva argued, “remember when little Iov disappeared last winter? They never found him!”
“A tragedy, my dear, but he wandered off on his own and got lost in the woods. It’s very difficult to find someone or… or… or a body out there. It certainly doesn’t mean that there’s anything magical about that place!”

“There’s something magical about it, alright,” Liliya snapped, “but the forest folk would never take someone away!”
“Stop talking about them!” Yeva cried, “You’ll bring them to our house!”
“You brought them up first!” Liliya felt fury rising within her—how dare Yeva speak of the forest dwellers in such a way? She’d never even spoken to them!

“The point is,” Vladimíra sighed, silencing Yeva’s coming retort waving away the argument with a snow-white hand, “no, we won’t have a ball at the edge of the wood. If you so want to play pretend, Liliya, why don’t we have one in the kitchen? Father can play his gusli for us to dance to, we can wear our fine dresses without dirtying them, and it won’t be nearly so dangerous. I’m sure mother would even bake some bread and cook some meat for a feast beforehand, like they do in the cities!”

“NO!” Liliya shouted, stomping one foot, “It must be on the edge of the wood, don’t you understand?”
Her sisters did not. They continued to dispute the idea fervently, and with resignation, Liliya accepted that her sisters would not be joining her at the ball her otherworldly friends were so kindly hosting.

That night, Liliya slipped into her best dress, dark green and embroidered with lace and golden thread. She did so without so much as a rustle of skirts, so as not to wake her sleeping sisters. Slipping out of their room without a noise was easier than she had thought it would be, the door didn’t make a sound. She crept through the kitchen, past her parent’s room. A pair of loud snores from within assured her that parents slept soundly.

As soon as she was out of the house, Liliya took off at a run, dashing away into the night. Past the large rocks, down the path, around a curve in the trees, out of sight of the village. When she came around the last bend, she gasped. She couldn’t believe her eyes. The mystic forest folk all wore their best finery, their garments and movements more elegant than anything that could be seen along mortals. The fairies that were present flitted about above the festivities, casting beautiful lights on all the dancers. Surely, even the czar’s most glorious ball couldn’t compare to this!

Crying a joyous hello, she joined the dancing. The wili, the leshii, the fairies, they all whirled about her, laughing and singing and saying how pleased they were that she’d come. Liliya spun about with them, not a care in the world.

“Come,” they cried at the end of their dancing, just as the moon was beginning to sink. “Come, our feast is waiting, just a little ways into the wood!”
Liliya paused. The wood was their domain. Legend said you couldn’t eat the food of another realm and leave again, but surely that was just another foolhardy story. Her friends from the wood were always so benevolent, and would never dream of trying to steal her away. Laughing at the absurdity of her hesitation, Liliya followed them into the darkness.

Unearthly creatures are, of course, known to be deceptive.

All her sisters could ever find was a ribbon from her hair, resting at the edge of the forest.

It was a shame, those less superstitious said, how often wandering children were lost in the woods.

Final notes: I like Eastern European folklore a whole lot, and thought I'd do something with it in my entry. This takes place some centuries ago in Russia, though I've not an exact time period in mind.

Username: Meow
Submission:

SPOILERX

Meeooww, meow, meow. Hiss, meeooww, *Shows claws*, Meow, meow, *Shreds Lise's favorite stockings* *Admires work* Meow, meow.

Final notes: *Secret ninja kitty*

Username: Wings of Writing
Submission: After the Ball

SPOILERX

“I loved him,” the auburn haired girl whispered as she looked around her, sadness shining in her eyes and in the crystal drops pouring from her eyes. “Was that such a crime?”
Of course there was no answer, there was no one to answer her, the girl wearing the tattered rags of a once beautiful sapphire ball gown was completely alone, but perhaps we are starting this story a bit too late. After all, this night had started relatively normal for Adalae.
She was attending yet another ball thrown by her parents, but she didn’t know the truth of this ball. Her parents were tired of her mooning over someone beneath her. So this night they were going to introduce her to her fiancé. No one expected things to go so wrong.
Adalae looked around the wreckage that was left of, well, her life and she couldn’t believe her eyes. “How could this happen…?” she whispered aghast, but then Adalae knew the answer to that. She had played with fire, and now she was feeling its burn.
When Adalae had realized her parents’ intentions for the night she did the only thing she could think of. She’d prayed to Kackin, the last god she should have prayed to but the one most likely to grant her wish. Kackin was infamous for giving a person their heart’s desire, but always with a steep price attached, and he always exacted that price.
Kackin had given Adalae her deepest desire, she could finally be in her loves arms even though he was a servant. She and her Foley had enjoyed their night of bliss. Neither of them aware what awaited at the end.

“I’m sorry…” Adalae whispered as she collapsed to the ground, her tattered dress draping around her. “When he said I’d pay the price I didn’t think he meant this…”
After spending the night in Foley’s arms, Foley escorted Adalae to her room. All Adalae could feel was the bliss of love, but once she shut her bedroom door, the night of wonder officially declared over. Kackin appeared before her once more. He was stunning to look at as always, he white clothes shown with a radiance that mortals could only hope to achieve. “You’ve enjoyed your fun, daughter. Now it’s time for mine.” With those words Kackin faded from her room, and the next thing Adalae heard was screams. For hours, Adalae was trapped in her room listening to the dying screams of her people. Kackin had indeed exacted his price, a price paid in the blood of those she loved…
“I killed you all…” Adalae whispered remorse and horror choking her, “I’m so sorry, I just wanted to be happy for one night, to be permitted to love him just once. I didn’t mean for it to be the last night…” Yet there wasn’t a soul left alive in her home, in fact there wasn’t much of home left, just charred fragments that told the story of a god’s fee enacted on a silly girl. Adalae sat there crying as she smoothed out her torn ball gown, “Just take it back…” she whispered her voice a muffled sob. “Take me back, I’ll do anything just let them not be dead, please….!” She finished with an anguished cry.
So lost in her tears Adalae didn’t notice the restoration that was happening around her. The fragments around her were slowly growing back into a magnificent mansion around her. The charring was disappearing and then, as if shades, people slowly started filing in. Until one person finally approached Adalae, “My love why do you cry?” asked the man dove grey eyes looking softly at the woman he loved.
Adalae gasped and looked up her deep blue eyes, so blue they were violet, landing on a man dressed in a servant’s uniform but as handsome as any prince. “Foley…?” she asked questioningly, “but you should be dead, you should all be dead.”
“Dead, my love?”
“Yes, Kackin killed you, as payment for my wish of a night of love in your arms.”
Foley laughed softly, “I think you’ve imbibed a bit too much tonight my dear, come let me get you to bed.”
Adalae looked around amazed, once again unable to believe what she was seeing. It was the end of the ball again, and things were whole, how could this be? Adalae shook her head, not going to question, she could be happy with Foley again and that’s what mattered.
Somewhere high above the ball, that would continue forever, laughed a god with radiant white clothes and blonde hair so blonde it was white. He looked over at his minions and chuckled, “Wonder when they’ll realize they are ghosts?”

Final notes: I wrote this really fast so probably not my best work, but I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by Lise; 08-05-2010 at 12:27 AM..

Vexatious~Venom
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Banned

Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 AM

Ooh now this seems fun. I missed the last writing contest due to my silly paste button not saving two things at once *grumble*

Don't worry Lise, I will be sure to enter something for you :)

Just not now, I need to bath and eat breakfast xD

(We are allowed to post in here yes?)

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 AM

It's fine to post. :yes:

Vexatious~Venom
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Banned

Old 07-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Ah, just checking, I appeared to be the only one in here xD

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 AM

I expect it might take a bit before folks realize what's happening and start piling in, hehe.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 AM

I'm here :)

Vexatious~Venom
(。⌒∇⌒)&...
Banned

Old 07-18-2010, 06:59 AM

Heres hoping, though it's good it is quite quiet because I managed to pop a posting cherry. I am weird and infantile when I get first post...but it does make me happy :lol:

Wings of Writing
~★St☆rlight★~

Old 07-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Okay wings may have to attempt to write something, I do have a knack for tragedy so I a shipwreck may be fun.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 AM

I have written you a story!
Username:Carzeebear
Submission:

SPOILERX

She couldn’t believe her eyes. There, on the beach before her, was a shipwreck. She gathered her skirts and ran toward it.
“Lisa! Wait up!” Her little sister ran along behind her, almost tripping on her skirts, she was only just old enough to wear long ones and she wasn’t used to it yet.
“Lift your skirts Jenny, and HURRY!”

Together the girls ran toward the first exciting thing to happen to them in their whole lives, but as they drew close to the wreck they slowed to a stop. It was so big! Bigger than any ship in the city harbour. Slowly the girls walked around the ship, looking for an entrance.
“Maybe we should go? And tell Daddy?”
“And leave it to the adults? Stop being a wimp Jenny” Despite her brave words Lisa shivered and gripped her sister’s hand before they strode together into the dank, dark hull of the ship.

The first thing the girls noticed was the smell. The smell of fish was in the air, and so thick that the girls felt it was sticking to them, soaking into the fabric of their skirts. They soon found out why. In barrels, split open by the crash, were fish of all sorts. They spilled all over the floor of the ship and had already begun to rot. Lisa fished out her handkerchief and held it over her nose.
“That’s so gross Lise, can’t we go?”
“No, this is too exciting for a little smell to get in the way. It’s an adventure Jen, like the boys in the hold are always banging on about!”
“If this is an adventure, I prefer boredom. I’m going home.” Jenny turned to leave, but realised that the hole in the hull that they had entered through, wasn’t there!
“Liiisa!” Jenny spun around, looking for her big sister, “Lisa! Where are you! This isn’t funny! Suddenly a cackle split the air. “Lisa! Was that you?” She ran deeper into the wreck, toward a faint light, tripping over her skirts. She felt tears well up. “Lisa! Where did you go? Lisa!” She kept running and the light got brighter, though still not as bright as daylight. Then she remembered the time. It was nearly sunset! She had to find her sister and get home before dark or she’d get a thrashing.

Jenny began to cry. She would never get home in time, she didn’t know where Lisa was and the dark and the stink were beginning to scare her. But she stopped crying when she heard a giggle. Quickly, silently she began to look for the source. She was beginning to suspect a trick. She headed back towards the light and saw that it was coming from a lamp. The lamp was being held by her big brother and Lisa was standing behind him, both of them were laughing outright at the tears on their little sister’s cheeks.
“Come on Jenny, let’s go home and get rid of that stink.” Jenny wiped her eyes on her sleeve and sniffed, rejecting the offered hand.
“I can’t believe you’ve been so cruel.”
“It was just a bit of fun Jen. Calm down.” The three of them walked off, trying to leave the wreck. But as they were leaving, Lisa turned around, and a shadow darted across the wall.
“Did you two see that?” She asked, her voice shaking.
“You’re just worried by the joke Lise, calm down.”
“You’re right, it was probably nothing.” The siblings left the wreck, and their “adventure” behind.

But something was watching them leave.

Final notes: I decided that a twist was just what this tale needed. And a bit of last minute suspense.

Rylynne
your resident bonafide coffee ad...

Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM

I'm very interested in joining this~ :'> <3<3

Although, when you say "two pages maximum", what font size, margins, spacing, and etc do you mean? xDD;; Two pages can mean varying things for people, especially those like me who know how to make the most out of her two pages. 8DD;;

Pearl
Toruk Makto

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM

This sounds really fun.

I'm gonna need to think of something good!

Arikana
do you believe?

Old 07-18-2010, 12:23 PM

Sounds interesting. Maybe I just might just participate.. it would be something for me to do at least.. :ninja:

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:54 PM

*Mai squeals like a school-girl*

I'm so excited! I am definitely entering this! *Mai opens up Word*

Imagination
Penpal

Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm tempted to enter...but I don't think I have any decent programs that would help me :sweat:

Vix Viral
┌(・。・...
Send a message via AIM to Vix Viral Send a message via MSN to Vix Viral

Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 PM

I'll see what I can do :)

FeyonaSaibre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via MSN to FeyonaSaibre Send a message via Yahoo to FeyonaSaibre

Old 07-18-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm tempted to enter as well...hrmmm *ponders*

Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 07-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Hello, Lise. It's good to see you coming out and socializing with people again.

I wish the best of luck to all of the contest participants. Writing is a worthy pursuit indeed!

Xx_IwIshIwasafIsh_xX
I Will Steal Your Face.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:29 PM

JERYCK! I LOVE YOU!

If only I liked writing...and had a creative imagination.
Then I would so join this.
;_;

Estrella
A Refined Pervert
Send a message via MSN to Estrella Send a message via Yahoo to Estrella

Old 07-18-2010, 06:33 PM

I think I'm gonna' join. *nodnod*

Edit: No, no I'm not. ;o

Last edited by Estrella; 07-18-2010 at 06:41 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 07-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Ooh, looks fun! I hope my writer's block goes away so I can participate. :)

Lise
NPC
NPC

Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM

Greetings, Menewshans... I am pleased to see that you are excited by my challenge. I look forward to your submissions.

carzeebear:
Thank you for the submission...

Rylynne:
Excellent question...
I will be transferring your submissions to Microsoft Word. The font will be Verdana, size 9. Margins will be set as is the default for this program.

Imagination:
I am not sure what you mean... Your computer should have a word processing program on it. All do, unless you have deleted them...

Jeryck:
... Thank you...

Pearl
Toruk Makto

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Setting the limit in pages is extremely vague.

An entry with more dialogue than another entry, could be classed as longer - even if the word count is lower.