Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via Yahoo to Bellinda

Old 04-27-2012, 04:30 AM

Who here has seen the Hunger Games? I know I haven't yet mostly because I never had the money to see it. So yea I will have to wait until it comes out on DVD. But I have read the books.

Last edited by Bellinda; 04-27-2012 at 04:39 PM..

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 AM

I read the books and have seen the movie. It's pretty good. There are about three major differences that I can think of, and a few really minor ones, but it's still a great movie.

EDIT: You did mean the Hunger games right?

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Oh right yea I didn't even notice until now I'm been sick lol

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Haha, that's ok. I didn't notice until I'd already posted either. And then I thought that there might be something I was missing out on!

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-28-2012, 12:56 AM

So how was the movie? And what was it so different from the book? Don't worry I probbly end up forgetting by the time it comes out on DVD lol

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 04-28-2012, 01:39 AM

I'll chuck the differences in spoiler tags for other people haha.

SPOILERX

At the beginning there are supposed to be two runaways that Katniss and Gale see, the ones that become Avox's later, but they aren't there. Also different is that the muttations at the end don't have the eyes of the dead tributes. There was another one, but I forget it.

Gabster

Old 04-29-2012, 04:16 AM

The movie was really good, it was what I would have expected for a book-movie transition.
The one thing that they missed that they should have put in (no spoiler here) is that they showed nothing about the fact that District 12 is poverty stricken and has no food, something I found crucial to many underlying parts of the book.

Still overall good and included majority of the book but definitely kept in all the important parts

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM

Yea I supposed that how it is when they turn a book into a movie.

Rukia Kuchiki-
*^_^*
Send a message via MSN to Rukia Kuchiki-

Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM

Buttercup's coloring was also different. That really bugged me for some reason, lol. But I thought the movie was pretty good :-]

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Well I just have to wait a see to watch the movie..at lease it won't take it that long to get onto dvd..I figure it will be out a few months or so..maybe around august but thats just a guess

The Roze
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-16-2012, 11:53 AM

I liked that in the film they showed what was going on with the Gamemakers while everything else was happening. It added another dimension which wasn't possible in the book. Also, Seneca Crane's beard. He has such an awesome beard.

end_our_world
(-.-)zzZ

Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM

DISTRICT 12 WOOW

Bellinda
(^._.^)ノ

Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM

does anyone know when it be out on dvd? I really want to see it plus I heard that they are planning making the second book into a movie.

Smores
(っ◕‿◕)&...

Old 07-18-2012, 02:01 AM

I believe some time in August.
I want to say August 20th.
Or around that date...
Maybe the 15th?

But definitely in that area.

letmefly101
⊙ω⊙

Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 AM

Ever since the movie has came out on DVD, everyone I know, including my parents, constantly talk about it! Now to some people, that sounds like the most fun to be having in a conversation. To me, personally, it's just annoying! I understand that people have their own opinions,but to me, it seems to be a bit overwhelming. Does anybody here NOT like the Hunger Games? Or am I the only one?

Because I'm not such a huge fan, I guess I wouldn't understand on why people are 'obsessed' as some might say. I'm not really okay with the idea of twelve year olds fighting for there lives against seventeen year olds.. >.> I mean, I have watched the movie and I've seen what has happend, and that kinda sickens me to think that our society would do something like that. I'm not saying it was horrible, but I do think that maybe it should have been less about smaller children fighting and killing each other...And more about the reason behind the whole society change..

Nuclear
Shinigami

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Seems like everyone's been obsessed with it for years. Especially since the trailers came out in the first place.
I personally didn't care for the books. They're pretty juvenile and superficial, but it's a nice concept.
The movie was pretty good actually.
Pretty entertaining.
But I wouldn't go obsessing over it. c:
P.S. There is a "legit" hunger games movie, and it is from Japan, and I can't think of the name, but it's incredibly violent, and it came out way before the new hunger games. Just thought I'd mention that.

Teddy Bear Cupcake
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via Yahoo to Teddy Bear Cupcake

Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 AM

Me, I don't really like it.
It's not so much that it's a sick concept, (coming from a Hannibal Lector fan) it's that it's so far fetched. I mean, 12 year olds, fighting to the death? That's just stupid. It would have been great if the age group where maybe 17 to 25. It's just that there is no way that society would ever come to the point that we would do that. We wouldn't let the world come to that. So I think it's rather stupid honestly.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmefly101 View Post
Because I'm not such a huge fan, I guess I wouldn't understand on why people are 'obsessed' as some might say. I'm not really okay with the idea of twelve year olds fighting for there lives against seventeen year olds.. >.> I mean, I have watched the movie and I've seen what has happend, and that kinda sickens me to think that our society would do something like that. I'm not saying it was horrible, but I do think that maybe it should have been less about smaller children fighting and killing each other...And more about the reason behind the whole society change..
Just in case you didn't know, the books and movie don't glorify that. It's portrayed as a disgusting and wrong thing perpetrated by a corrupt government.

Nicole Legion
ʘ‿ʘ

Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Haha, I"m not a big fan of it either, but basically for the exact reason opposite of why you are. I don't think it's disturbing enough or horrifying enough. There's no real substsance to be found there. It's just disturbing because the idea of teenagers killing each other in the ultimate gladiator style battle to the death should be horrifying. There's nothing beyond that. Just the horror. Honestly, it perturbs me that this is the series that brings dystopian literature to a favorable light in society and it's the one people obsess over when there are far better done novels (also for teens and for adults) which encapsulate not only the horror of a dystopian world but also the substance and motivations for why a society would go that way.
To me, Hunger Games is a shame to dystopian literature (when great novels like 1984, Unwind, Divergent, Brave New World, The Giver, etc exist) in the same way that Twilight is a shame to teen literature as a whole.
Teen literature is something that can be intelligent and thought out and really make a statement or it can be fluff, which is where I categorize both the Hunger Games and Twilight and books like them, when substance is seriously lacking. Fluff books have their merit (They get people reading) but in the end, they are really not worth much.

pinkii
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
P.S. There is a "legit" hunger games movie, and it is from Japan, and I can't think of the name, but it's incredibly violent, and it came out way before the new hunger games. Just thought I'd mention that.
I think you're referring to Battle Royale. The movie was good but the manga was incredibly violent. It did come out before Hunger Games, but aside from the "been there, done that" theme, Hunger Games is a surprisingly well written series.

I guess the appeal to me is the fact that there's a strong, likeable central character in Katniss. And the fact that the series had a fair share of unsuspecting twists.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not into popular, media-exaggerated works either. But this was well worth the read (despite the disturbing theme).

ReineDeLaSeine14
My Dacshund made me do it...
Send a message via AIM to ReineDeLaSeine14

Old 11-25-2012, 11:34 AM

I've read the books and seen the movie. I like both of them separately, but I wish I had seen the movie first in a way like what happened with me and Harry Potter. The Gamemaker scenes were pretty cool though as those aren't in the books. I am glad I rented it instead of going to the theater like I planned. I am excited to see the second one but am not as gripped by it as I have been waiting for Harry Potter.

Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM

I still haven't even seen the movie as of yet. I will go to red box and rent it when I get time.

PrincessBane
Disciple of the Dark Sun

Old 12-01-2012, 02:00 PM

I wasn't really huge on the Hunger Games, though my friend tried to get me on it. I was already spoiled, however, since I'm a fan of Battle Royale. Now, I'm not saying Hunger Games ripped off of it or anything, but they're in the same ballpark as far as the general idea goes. I just liked Battle Royale's twisted brutality more.

Bearzy
dusting off the cobwebs

Penpal

Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM

Battle Royale was really good. But I read the hunger games before I even heard of it, and I feel like the Hunger Games has more politics behind it than Battle Royale does, somehow.

Xurxo
taco bell's nudist
Send a message via AIM to Xurxo Send a message via MSN to Xurxo

Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM

I never found the two to really be that similar - as a fan of both Battle Royale and The Hunger Games.

BR is about population control, at least that was what the film got into, and what I had read of the manga. Pretty much it's about the characters and violence.

THG is about governmental control and assertion of power. They were "making" a point. It is also about rebellions and politics. The political aspect alone makes it very different.