Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned
Send a message via AIM to Sparrow

Old 03-01-2008, 02:12 AM

Friday morning dawned cold and crisp. I laid in bed day dreaming about the summer that just occurred but seemed so long ago now. The day we played quidditch, meeting my father, the “date” with Harry, and so many other memories floated through my mind. There was a knock on the door and I hollered to come in. Professor Magonagal entered the room with a witch I’d never seen before.

“Good morning Miss Black.” said Magonagal and I glared at her. “This is Ms. Rebecca Rolminouski, she has been hired by. Mr. Malfoy to do your hair and make-up for the wedding.

“Oh, nice to meet you.” I said without any enthusiasm whatsoever.

“Splendid.” Said my Professor “Well I must leave you now to oversee the decorating of the Great Hall and the gardens.” She left the room without so much as a backwards glance.

As soon as the professor had left the room Ms. Rolminouski’s entire demeanor changed. She circled me like a hawk making small exasperated noises as she looked at my tangled hair and uneven dirty nails.

“This will prove challenging. Don’t you know anything about taking care of your personal appearance?” she said in what appeared to be an attempt to belittle me.

“Just get on with it!” I said a little annoyed.

“First you must shower. Wash that mop you’ll call your hair and clean under your nails.”

Fuming I grabbed a change of clothes, my towel, and my hairbrush, and stormed into the girls bathroom. I turned on the shower as hot as it would go, stripped, and stepped into the shower. The water scalded my skin but I didn’t care it helped distract me from the pain searing my heart. I washed my hair, furiously scrubbing and without realizing it I must’ve scraped my scalp because a small trickle of blood ran down my face. I quickly finished my shower and dried off.

When I re-entered the girls dorm Ms. Rolmiouski was going through my silver jewelry box shaped like a grand piano.

“What are you doing?” I asked angrily.

“I’m trying to find something suitable to have you wear at your wedding. But there’s nothing useable in this pile of junk.” She threw a tangle of necklaces onto the floor which included the silver locket that was my mother’s. The locket flew open when it hit the floor and I saw the picture of my mom I had put in it. I scoped them and untangled the chain so that I could hold only the locket.

“I’ll wear this one.” I said putting on the locket.

Ms. Rolminouski made an annoyed noise in her throat and I looked up.

“Is there a problem?” I asked.

She narrowed her eyes and glared at me. “That thing is unacceptable for this event. Remove it and put this on!” she said pulling an expensive looking diamond necklace from the bag she was carrying .

I didn’t want to wear her necklace, I wanted to wear my mother’s locket, but I didn’t argue. Instead I removed the locket and put it in my bra thinking that I could change necklaces right before the ceremony without her realizing it.

“Good. Now we can do your hair. Do you have any idea what you want done?” Said Ms. Rolminouski sounding like she was obligated to rather tan really interested.

I thought about her question and realized that I didn’t know what I wanted done. I tried to think about hairstyles I’d seen or heard of in the past but they evaded me. “No.” I said finally. “I don’t know what I want.”

“I expected as much. Well I’ll do my best to make your hair look decent. Of course Mr. Malfoy wouldn’t approve of anything less than perfect so you better hold still and not complain.” she waved her wand and a hairdressers chair appeared. I went and sat in it obediently and did just as she said. During the whole hour and a half she teased and straightened and curled my hair with spells that after a while all sounded the same I never spoke or moved. Finally when she finished I looked in the mirror amazed. My hair really did look perfect and even though I shook my head it never fell. My hair was swept up into a bun with some pieces left out and curled and there were gems throughout all of it.

Next Ms. Rolminouski did my finger and toe nails red and put a gem on each of finger and big toe. Finally she did my make-up and when she finished I looked amazing. I barely recognized myself when I was standing fully dressed in front of the mirror in the girls dorm.

Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 AM

A tear slid down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away, thankful that Ms. Rolminouski had used waterproof mascara. Well I thought this isn’t exactly what I had pictured my wedding to be like. I wished my mom was still here, she would be such a big help. I needed support right now. I wiped the last of my tears away and walked back to my bed with my head held high. I wasn’t going to let anyone see how fragile I really was. I looked like a porcelain doll granted but didn’t want anyone to know I was really breakable.

I spent the rest of the day in the dorm talking to no one in particular, basically I talked to myself. Luna came in around five o’clock with some food for me. I thanked her and ate quickly. Up until she brought me food I hadn’t realized that I had neglected to eat all day and despite my nerves I was famished. When all the food was gone I thanked Luna again.

“It’s quite alright. It was the only thing I could think of that you might want or need.” She said.

“I appreciate it Luna.”

“So how are you?” She asked more grounded than I’d ever seen her.

“Physically, fine, emotionally, I feel like the slightest breeze could make me fall, and then everyone would see just how fragile I really am.”

She nodded and patted my shoulder “Don’t worry people do crazy things when they’re in love. Maybe you’ll get a happy ending to this chapter of your life.”

“Thanks Luna. Maybe you’re right.” I said hoping that she was. She left me then to take the empty dishes away.

Someone entered the room and I thought it was Luna again but when I looked up it was Remus.

“H-hi.” He said sheepishly

“W-what are you doing here? I thought you were on a mission for the Order.” I said shocked.

“I was.” He admitted “But did you honestly think that I would stay away today?”

“No.” I said “But why come? You can’t do anything about the wedding can you?” I asked a little hopeful.

He hung his head “No this is as much out of my hands as it is yours or anyone’s except Malfoy’s or his father’s. And the only reason I have no say is because I don’t have legal custody of you. I’m sorry I can’t fix this for you honey.”

“Dad,” I said starting to get chocked up “It’s okay. I understand that you’re not always going to be able to fix everything for me. To be honest I’m used to trying to fix everything by myself ’cause until I met you and…” I struggled but managed to say his name “Harry, I was the only person I could really count on for anything.”

“But that’s not how it should be.” He said slamming his fists against the stone wall. “A parent is supposed to be there to help and support their child for their whole life.”

I went over and hugged my dad. “It’s alright Dad, really I’ll be fine.” I said trying to smile. Remus looked at me his eyes shining with un-spilt tears.

“You look so beautiful.” He paused “You look like your mother, she was a vision much the same as you are now.” He hugged me again.

“Thank you Daddy.” I said close to tears myself. “I’m going to be alright.” I said trying to reassure myself just as much as I was trying to reassure him.

A loud rap on the door frame interrupted our hug and made me jump. Lucius Malfoy was standing there a sneer on his uncannily cold features. “You’ll excuse the intrusion but it is time for the bride to get into her dress.” He shoved past Remus carrying a gown bag which he thrust into my arms and then he ushered me to the door of the girls bathroom.

I could hear muffled voices from the dorm as I got into my dress. I couldn’t be one-hundred percent sure they sounded angry which wasn’t a surprise.

The dress was stunning, a halter v-neck trimmed with diamonds and a low droopy back with two strips of fabric that clasped together to help hold the dress up. The dress just skimmed the floor without my heals on but was the perfect length from the floor when I put on my pumps, which were in a smaller bag in the dress bag. I made one final adjustment to my gown and walked out of the washroom.

Both men immediately fell silent and looked at me. My Dad blinking back tears. Mr. Malfoy stared at me from cold cruel eyes and I thought I saw a spark of lust in them but silently prayed not.

“All ready.” I said with a weak smile.

My Dad moved forward but Mr. Malfoy swept in front of him and dragged me out of the dorm.

“I love you Daddy!” I yelled as we flew down the stairs and out of the common room.

Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-01-2008, 02:15 AM

When we reached a secluded area Mr. Malfoy stopped so fast I crashed into him. He spun around and grabbed my arms.

“You’re never to call that man your father again, do you understand me?” I glared at him but said nothing. It happened in a second Mr. Malfoy backhanded me across the face so hard that I landed on the floor with a thud. I looked up in shock and disbelief. He shook his hand and flexed it.

“When I ask you a question you answer it appropriately without hesitating. Otherwise I may lose my temper. Now I don’t want you to ever refer to Remus Lupin as your father again, understand?”

“Yes, sir.” I said still on the floor

“Good girl.” Mr. Malfoy said pulling me to my feet and checking my dress which was thankfully unharmed from my sudden violent fall. He looked at a pocket watch and smiled. “Well my dear we have ten minutes to get you down to your place outside of the Great Hall but that will only take five minutes. Whatever will we do until then?”

Without missing a beat I said “Leave now. I’d rather be early because the early bird catches the worm.” I tried to get past him but he laughed coolly and blocked my way, his frightening eyes dancing at my reaction.

“Do I scare you Alexis?” Asked Mr. Malfoy

“Yes.” I whispered knowing somehow that he would able to tell if I lied. He laughed again and took a step forward forcing me to take a step back. He took another step and another until my back was against the wall. I silently cursed myself for leaving my wand in my pants but I’d had no time to grab it or anywhere to put it. If I was going to have to defend myself I’d have to do so using muggle methods. My hands were curled into fists ready to strike forcefully however inaccurate their aim may be.

“We’re going to be late.” I said my voice shaking and still unable to go louder than a whisper. Mr. Malfoy smiled but the malice in his face couldn’t be hidden by it.

“There was a time I would’ve taken you for myself but I can see how Draco looks at you and know that you must be his after tonight.” He said casually. However, I was stuck on the fact that he said he would’ve taken me for himself. “But…” He continued more to himself than to me. “You’re not his yet so I could…”

“That’s not such a good idea. Get away from her you bastard.” Harry yelled coming towards us Ron, Hermione, and Remus on his heels.

Mr. Malfoy stepped back from me and I tried to dash over to the others but he grabbed me by the waist.

“Let me go!” I yelled my voice functioning properly again. I slammed my heal down onto his foot and rushed clumsily over to my friends and Remus.

“If you ever touch her again I swear I’ll…”

“You’ll what Potter? After the ceremony she won’t be any of your concern. Not that she should’ve been in the first place.”

“Piss off you pompous git.” Ron muttered under his breath beside me. Mr. Malfoy glared at him with his icy eyes as if he’d heard what Ronald had said.

Then he looked me right in the eye and said “I will see you downstairs in a few minutes. It’s pointless to try and put this off so you better be on time or there will be a consequence.” I shuddered involuntarily remembering the backhand he’d recently given me. With a sweep of his robes Mr. Malfoy was gone. My brain screamed for oxygen and it was only then that I realized that I hadn’t been breathing since I got over to Harry and everyone else. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath glad to be away from that man. I opened my eyes and saw that everyone was starring at me. I tried to smile but failed miserably.

So much for staying strong I thought rolling my eyes at myself. Who was I kidding sure I liked Draco well enough but I loved Harry so much more and knowing that I was losing him forever in a few minutes ripped a hole through my heart.

He looked at me with so much love in his warm eyes and I felt the hole get a little bigger. I hugged him and was able to smile when I tried this time. Our eyes met and I could feel that familiar tingling sensation I got whenever we were so close to kissing but Harry turned away. Looking defeated Harry let me go and backed away.

“We’ve got to get you down to the Great Hall cause I don’t wan t you to have to deal with whatever that slimy git’s ‘consequence’ would be.” He paused trying to calm down. “But if I ever find out that he’s laid one finger on you I won’t need my wand to kill him.” Harry put his hand on the small of my back and we started towards the hall the others following us.

end chap 13

Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-01-2008, 02:17 AM

I was now standing outside of the Great Hall with professor Dumbledore and Magonagall. I had wanted my Dad to walk me down the isle but Mr. Malfoy wouldn’t allow it. So I insisted that Dumbledore do it because it’s not supposed to be the father of the groom that does the job. It’s supposed to be someone that the bride is close to if not her father.

So here I was waiting. Minutes from now I was going to go through with something that would change my life forever. Never again would I be my free lighthearted, sometimes hopelessly romantic, self again. Magonagall handed me a bouquet of white and pink lilies.

“I’m sorry dear, I know this is a terrible way to get married.” Magonagall said sympathetically.

“Yeah it is. But no offense you really have no idea just how bad it is. My whole life changed for the better over the summer, I made real friends, met my father, and” The words caught in my throat but pushed them out. “And fell in love with the boy of my dreams. I realize now that through the sunlight and the rain, brightest nights and darkest days I’m always going to feel the same way. He’ll always be mine and I’ll always be his forever even though we won’t be together.” I paused and tried to swallow the lump in my throat but it wouldn’t budge. “I just wish that in a way, I hadn’t met any of them. You know? Then this might’ve been a little easier to deal with. I know it’s horrible to say but as much as I love Harry, right now I wish he didn’t love me because then he wouldn’t be going through any pain.” Magonagall just listened patiently as I babbled and for that I was grateful. Dumbledore tapped me on the shoulder and I turned towards him.

“I’m sorry but it’s time Alexis.” He said sounding extremely weary. I nodded and went to take my place next to him.

Music started playing in the hall and the doors swung open soundlessly. The hall was decorated with white ribbons and lilies like in my bouquet. There were pews like in a real church and overhead bejeweled candles floated in the air.

Everyone turned and watched as Dumbledore and I walked up the hall to where the teachers usually sat when we ate. I could see people whispering to one another even though I couldn’t hear it cause of the music playing.

After what seemed like an eternity, which was really only like thirty seconds we reached Draco and the priest. I hugged Dumbledore and whispered “Thank you.” in his ear before taking my place standing next to Draco. He didn’t look half bad either. The dress robes suited him well, he had a black cloak and pants an emerald green button down silk shirt and a black tie. He had also left his hair down instead of slicked back like he normally had it. All and all he looked very good.

I felt torn because I did care for him and I sure as hell found him attractive now that I knew him better but I loved everything about Harry.

I was so lost in thought that I almost didn’t realize that the Priest had started talking. I started listening just as he looked at me and asked “Do you Alexis Black take Draco Malfoy to be your lawfully wedded husband to have and to hold for better or for worse through sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

Dutifully I replied with “I do.” And when I did my chest tightened up and I felt that hole in my heart became infinitely larger.

The Priest then turned to Draco and asked “Do you Draco Malfoy take Alexis Black to be your lawfully wedded wife to have and to hold for better or for worse through sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-01-2008, 02:19 AM

There was a quiet moment where Draco looked pained before he said “I can’t” everyone froze and the Priest looked at Draco.

“So is that what you really want.” Asked the Priest.

“No.” Admitted Draco “But Alexis I love you and knowing that being with me won’t make you the happiest then I have no other choice than to say that I can’t marry you.”

“You can and you will!” Screamed Mr. Malfoy storming up to us.

“You can’t make me father.” Draco Rebutted. Mr. Malfoy looked as though he was going to strike Draco the way he had me. But then calmed down and said in a low whisper only loud enough for Draco and I to hear “If you love her you’ll marry her or I’ll kill her.”

Fear flooded Draco’s face as he tried to speak. “Father you wouldn’t. Where’s the sense in that?”

“The sense in killing her is that her father owes me this girls life in one way or the other. You have to choose if that life of hers is going to be a long one or very short.” He stalked back down to his seat.

I looked at Draco more afraid than ever, and the fear was just as visible in his face as mine.

He cleared his throat and gestured to the Priest. “Father” He said “I’ve changed my mind.”

“Oh.” Said the Priest confused. “And you made this decision on your own.”

Draco nodded and then said “Would you please repeat my part.”

So the Priest resumed his place and continued the service. “Do you Draco Malfoy take Alexis Black to be your lawfully wedded wife to have and to hold for better or for worse through sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

Draco sighed and said “I do.”

“Good then, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may now kiss the bride.”

Draco leaned in and kissed me softly on the lips. “I’m sorry.” He muttered against my lips.

“It’s not your fault.” I muttered back as we broke the kiss. “Thanks by the way.”

“For what? Now you can never be truly happy.”

“Um hello Draco you just saved my life.”

“Yeah and sealed your fate. He said under his breath.

The applause had stopped now and Dumbledore stood up in front of everyone.

“Congratulations Draco and Alexis! Now if you’d all stand and allow the other professors and myself to prepare for the reception I would be most grateful.”

Everyone did as they were told and in seconds the benches were gone and there was a dance floor and small round tables all around the edges.

Dumbledore stood in front again and announced that it was time for the new bride and groom to have their first dance as man and wife. The band started up and Draco and I walked on to the floor.

We danced together spinning around on the floor perfectly in tune with one another. When the song ended I excused myself to go sit at the table near the back of the room. The other students danced as though there was nothing wrong and I guess for them nothing was because for them nothing had changed.

I sat there for a while in the shadows miserable feeling like I had no heart at all, just a hole where it used to be.

The band stopped playing for a break and put on a play list magically. The first song that came on was Wait For You by Elliot Yamin. Put my hands over my face and put my head down on the table so no one would see me cry.

Sparrow
⊙ω⊙
Banned

Old 03-01-2008, 02:20 AM

Someone tapped my shoulder and I looked up to see Harry, tears shining in his brilliant green eyes. “May I have this dance?” He asked solemnly extending me his hand. I took it feeling a little guilty and really excited.

We slow danced as the song played on but I couldn’t look at Harry. He started singing quietly in my ear.

“So baby I will wait for you ‘cause I don’t know what else I can do. Don’t tell me I ran out of time if it takes the rest of my life. Baby I will wait for you if you think I’m fine it just ain’t true. I really need you in my life no matter what I have to do I’ll wait for you.”

I cried into his shoulder as we danced to the rest of the song and when it finished he looked me right in the eyes.

“I’ll wait for you forever Alexis. I love you so much. I promise I’ll be right here when you get out of this mess. I just wish I could help you do it.”

“I think you have Potter.” Said Draco. He was standing right behind me. “I know that she loves you Harry and I know that by the way she looks at you. It’s the same way I look at her.” Harry looked at Draco and I could tell that a silent truce was met between the two of them.

Draco put his arm around my waist and lead me out of the Great Hall and onto the grounds outside.

A garden had been arranged with more ribbons and flowers. He took me to a gazebo and we sat down together.

“Alexis I’m sorry about all this. I tried to stop the wedding I love you so much I just want you to be happy.”

“I know you tried to stop it.” I said.

"Don’t please. Don’t interrupt. Please let me say what it is I have to say. I saw you and Harry the other night.” I gasped and went to say something but Draco gentle put a finger to my lips and I stopped. “I wanted to talk to you that night, to assure you that everything would be alright, that we would be happy together. And I went there to tell you how much I love you.” Draco sighed. “But I saw you with Harry and I saw how much you love him and I couldn’t interrupt.” He paused and closed his eyes for a moment before continuing. “Alexis I love you and I know as well as you do that we are stuck like this. I swear that I’ll try and figure out a way to get you out of this but until I can, do you think that you could maybe try and love me even if it’s only as a friend? I mean I’ll try and find a way out of the marriage so if and when the time comes and this is all over with, you can still choose to be with Harry. But if you find that after the time it takes for me to sort things out, well I’m always going to love you, so if you find that after that time you love me the way I love you I’d be more than happy to stay with you.” Draco leaned in and kissed me.

I smiled knowing that Draco was going to be supportive of my decision no matter what . I kissed him on the cheek. “Thank you Draco, I really appreciate just how understanding you’re being.

“I’m trying to turn over a new leaf.” He said with his usual smirk back in place.

My mind was swirling in a fog of everything that had happened in the last three hours but at the same time I was strangely calm. I had cried enough for one day and now I just enjoyed held by Draco.

Harry was my safe harbor and Draco was my lighthouse leading me to where I wanted to be. Both boys protecting me and loving me in their own way. I didn’t know how long it would take but I knew that eventually I would safely make port and be with the one person who was perfect for me.

~FIN~