hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 11-12-2019, 11:38 PM

It makes me incredibly said he hasn't come on to say if anybody wants to buy it I'd be willing to sell so ya'll don't lose your little Internet home. Because to some of us it really does mean more than just a place to hang out. I hope things are going well for you Maria. I miss you.

Roachi
ϟ△⃒⃘

Penpal

Old 11-13-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car'a'Carn View Post
This is correct Kent! Only AAs can do that! Actually... I think pixilists can do some uploading of things as well. But I don't believe they are able to put anything in the shops.

---------- Post added 11-08-2019 at 11:38 PM ----------

I think I spelled pixilists wrong...

---------- Post added 11-09-2019 at 12:18 AM ----------

As for new informations... There isn't any! XD There's been no news in the backend of the site in quite some time. Like... A long time. I have been away a lot due to IRL busyness. I know Linny is still around from time to time but I don't know if the AAs are still rockin and rollin. I had poked at the rest of the staff earlier this spring planing some events for this summer and Cora was cookin up some sweet duds. We had some staff on board but I think IRL got the best of them it seems as nothing ever took off. Apologies for that :/

Anyways. As it stands, (and to my knowledge) we have not heard from Inso since the great Inventory bork of 2017. OH! Actually we last heard from him regarding the server change in early 2018.
Zig hasn't been back in an official capacity since March and I have not seen her around in the back end since... I can't remember when.
Knerd was eaten by students. RIP.
Cap'n was presumably kidnapped by kittens and taken off into the jungle to become their supreme leader.
Cora perhaps was mind-linked to her puter and integrated with her pixel art
Cardinal Biggles has been on top secret mission in Myanmar for an unknown inelegance agency for the last year.
llkona was hypnotized by Faeryes and taken to their village to entertain them forever and all eternity.
I believe YanYan was kidnapped by Inso to work on a different project but that's nothing but rumor. (for reals though XD)

Now I joked about Knerd Cap'n, Cora, Biggles and llonka. The rest though, I inform you to the best of my knowledge. Anyways, Linny is still checking in from time to time as am I and I've seen BSW kickin abou too! Though I recently became Guildmaster of my SWTOR guild and have been in my free time busy enveloped with the task of coordinating around 50 Guild staff to create fun and enjoyable events for our guild members to participate in. If you're every around Satele Shan server, look up The Eternal Order XD! Tell the recruiters that Drag sent you :P
Thanks for the update hun <3
Pretty sad that inso can't get on and explain why the hell there has been radio silence 2-3 years. I mean, why is he paying for the server - If he's not planning to do anything with mene?

I dunno, i haven't been on in ages. But i still have very fond memories and miss this place like crazy.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-14-2019, 01:21 AM

An excellent question! I suspect it's just one of those things that's been paid for already and or potentially hosted on his own servers at no additional cost so it's one of those things that can just be left static while other projects are worked on. That's only my best guess though! I don't actually know for sure :P

And no worries! I had a really busy summer but since the beginning of fall I've been trying to come and check in with everyone here more often!

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 AM

I have to admit I'm curious about what Inso is working on. People's lives are so interesting and often times we don't realize how different they are away from the computer. It's like friends from work vs outside work.

Linnea
☠ ☠ ☠

Old 11-14-2019, 02:25 AM

carn is the bees knees. that is all.

Last edited by Linnea; 11-15-2019 at 12:16 AM..

R u b y
Grand Duchess of Gifs & Memes™

Old 11-14-2019, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the check in, Carn Stay lovely~

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-17-2019, 05:19 PM

Yeah, if it's hosted on a server he's paying for that hosts other things, it's probably not too big a deal. Hosting is really super cheap these days if you're not using a lot of resources. I'm using cloud hosting for my own sites and projects and I only pay $7 a month for it with daily backups, and going up to a higher plan isn't all that pricey if I needed to.

Since Mene only has a few people online a day and not much else going on, it's probably not demanding the bandwidth and resources it once did, back when it was advertised on TekTek and there were hundreds online.

So it's likely that yeah, it may be ignored or forgotten about. :/

Hmm... I'm going to try digging around and see if there's any way to get in contact elsewhere. I'm not having much luck since mene is using Cloudflare.

I'd honestly be willing to see if there's anything I can do to help fix mene and get it working again, maybe attempt to modernize it (mobile first, see if there's anything I can do with the games). I unfortunately don't have the funds to purchase it. ;-; I can't really guarantee I can even fix the problems, but I'd be willing to try.

Last edited by Shion Uzuki; 11-17-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 AM

I may have just found one of Inso's old, abandoned youtube accounts while looking up any possible popularity there. I'm also making my twitter more marketable with links back here.

There was also a fantastic deep dive into the rise and fall of GaiaOnline that I just watched. It gave great insight into what we could do to bring this site back, seeing as they, too, will possibly be having catastrophic failure of their flash systems in the new year. Until then I plan to play as much tetris as possible.

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-18-2019, 06:43 PM

I'm pretty sure Gaia is working on replacements for their flash games, or converting them over, with the exception of Zomg. It doesn't technically expire until the end of next year, but some browsers make it really difficult to use flash or don't support it at all (Safari). So there's a bit of time left and they should be able to reasonably have something ready to go.

The main draw with the games was having a way to earn gold. Once the gold generators became a thing, it was just not worthwhile to play the games and when hyperinflation hit, the payouts weren't adding up to the actual worth. Plus dude fired a lot of people and took down ZOMG. So there wasn't anyone to really work on maintaining it or building new, modern game features. Once the former staff returned, there was so much left to clean up. But I think they're getting around to it.

In Mene's case, it's probably be possible to take some open source html5 games and put in some code to update the score. They can be customized with graphics. But I think I mentioned before, that the backend may need to be changed up a little to support it. Not super hard to do, but someone needs to be able to do it. x_x

I haven't had any luck finding things myself. All I've been able to find is the IP address that resolves to Mene, probably the mail server (got it off an email from here after the server move, so it looks to still be active) but otherwise, I couldn't find any domains that looked like they were connected. I may have found the hosting company or a previous one, but that's not enough to go off of. Normally, someone into any sort of web development has something, even just a little portfolio or a link to their github repo, or a dumping grounds of their old projects.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-18-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namune View Post
I may have just found one of Inso's old, abandoned youtube accounts while looking up any possible popularity there. I'm also making my twitter more marketable with links back here.

There was also a fantastic deep dive into the rise and fall of GaiaOnline that I just watched. It gave great insight into what we could do to bring this site back, seeing as they, too, will possibly be having catastrophic failure of their flash systems in the new year. Until then I plan to play as much tetris as possible.
GOTTA GET THOSE GOLDIES! :O

Also. that sounds pretty interesting! Link me please! To that Gaia rise and fall! I'd love to watch it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shion Uzuki View Post
I'm pretty sure Gaia is working on replacements for their flash games, or converting them over, with the exception of Zomg. It doesn't technically expire until the end of next year, but some browsers make it really difficult to use flash or don't support it at all (Safari). So there's a bit of time left and they should be able to reasonably have something ready to go.

The main draw with the games was having a way to earn gold. Once the gold generators became a thing, it was just not worthwhile to play the games and when hyperinflation hit, the payouts weren't adding up to the actual worth. Plus dude fired a lot of people and took down ZOMG. So there wasn't anyone to really work on maintaining it or building new, modern game features. Once the former staff returned, there was so much left to clean up. But I think they're getting around to it.

In Mene's case, it's probably be possible to take some open source html5 games and put in some code to update the score. They can be customized with graphics. But I think I mentioned before, that the backend may need to be changed up a little to support it. Not super hard to do, but someone needs to be able to do it. x_x

I haven't had any luck finding things myself. All I've been able to find is the IP address that resolves to Mene, probably the mail server (got it off an email from here after the server move, so it looks to still be active) but otherwise, I couldn't find any domains that looked like they were connected. I may have found the hosting company or a previous one, but that's not enough to go off of. Normally, someone into any sort of web development has something, even just a little portfolio or a link to their github repo, or a dumping grounds of their old projects.
Oh no kidding! I have an old Gaia account someplace but I've likely forgotten the login for it it's been so long XD Has anyone been on there in recent times? I wonder how their user base is fairing right now.

And yeah. As far as I know for the coding of Mene, Yanyan13 had the only limited coding access out of all the AAs and besides that it was up to Inso for any coding beyond that. ... >.>

Annnd I have tried to dig into mene and Inso before too XD haha! he's very good at leaving minimal traces of himself on the net. Very low profile. I found his old steam account once but he hadn't logged on in years. The dude's a ghost!

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 PM

The Rise and Fall of Gaia Online

I can understand Inso's desire for privacy, it took me a while to want to attach myself to my online presence. For me it was a lot about being confident with myself, while also being cautious about my own family stalking me when they already allotted me so privacy.

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-24-2019, 03:11 AM

Ooo hey thanks Namune!

For sure though. I don't blame him for privacy. I registered a website for my farming business and didn't pay the extra for the privacy addon and POOF... I got calls daily for weeks from people all over the world trying to sell me services >.<

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-24-2019, 04:25 AM

The main thing I got from this is that you have a farming business?? I am now curious on what that entails.

R u b y

Old 11-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Old MacCarny had a farm E-I-E-I-O :D

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 11-24-2019, 08:31 PM

HAHA! XD Oh gosh. So yes! It's just a small operation. I grow about 22 to 25 tons of grass hay every year. Hopefully next year I'll bring that number up to 40 or 50 :P It was kinda funny this year (and rather good for me) as a LOT of people jumped on the bandwagon for hemp oil production for this year and tore up their hay fields to grow that instead. And because of that there is a huge shortage of hay so I've been able to sell for a higher price than previous years

But yeah, not a whole lot too it, fertilize, move pipes, start the water, watch the grass grow, then I have someone that comes in to cut and bale it for me. That happens twice a summer and then I just stack it all in my barn!

R u b y

Old 11-24-2019, 09:18 PM

Does that make it a Carn Barn?

That's really cool though Carny :D

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-24-2019, 11:26 PM

As weird as it sounds... that is the dream life. My current goal is to pay for a new car this spring, then hopefully some land and a house in the next 5-10 years. After an adjustment period I want a garden and a few animals; chickens, two goats, maybe a few sheep. Until then there are local plots that I'll rent every year. This year it REALLY helped reduce my grocery budget, which was a surprise with how badly it turned out. Then again I heavily utilized the farmer's market and fresh food. I was telling my sister I need to contact the organic milk seller in town.

I hope you're able to expand your operation, Carn! Also... Classic barn, or different style?

Shion Uzuki
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-25-2019, 01:24 AM

I just want an alpaca farm. If you lived anywhere nearby, I'd buy your hay if I had alpacas, Carn. XD

I never had anyone harassing me about products for domains I've owned before, to my memory. But they've all been for personal projects, never anything clearly business related. I need to move them all over to Namecheap where they give you the privacy protection for free.

I think most of the searches was just to see if I could find any other domains or websites maintained by him. But that's not turning out to be fruitful. It's just grabbing everything on that particular host or those using that IP from cloudflare. :/

Last edited by Shion Uzuki; 11-25-2019 at 01:26 AM..

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-25-2019, 03:18 AM

Alpaca is so soooooooooft.

This whole thing is an enigma wrapped in a cloud of confusion.

R u b y

Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 AM

My mom always wanted an alpaca farm too haha

girlbot9
fallen angel.
Penpal
Send a message via MSN to girlbot9 Send a message via Yahoo to girlbot9

Old 12-02-2019, 04:00 AM

this is sad to read hopefully the bugs will get fixed and traffic can increase some, i always loved the friendly and family feel of this site

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 PM

Woooah! I love your avatar

girlbot9
fallen angel.
Penpal
Send a message via MSN to girlbot9 Send a message via Yahoo to girlbot9

Old 12-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Car'a'Carn
Berries & Cream!

Penpal
Assistant Administrator

Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R u b y View Post
Does that make it a Carn Barn?

That's really cool though Carny :D
It is a Carn Barn XD If I stack it to the celing I can fit around 50 to 60 tons of hay front to back! I've never put that much in at a time lol but tis possible XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namune View Post
As weird as it sounds... that is the dream life. My current goal is to pay for a new car this spring, then hopefully some land and a house in the next 5-10 years. After an adjustment period I want a garden and a few animals; chickens, two goats, maybe a few sheep. Until then there are local plots that I'll rent every year. This year it REALLY helped reduce my grocery budget, which was a surprise with how badly it turned out. Then again I heavily utilized the farmer's market and fresh food. I was telling my sister I need to contact the organic milk seller in town.

I hope you're able to expand your operation, Carn! Also... Classic barn, or different style?
That's a great dream! Just make sure hte chickens are fully enclosed at night or else they'll get eaten like all mine did this year between owls and raccoons :/
Oh I bet! I'd love to get a garden going. Every year I say. THIS IS THE YEAR! and then I get too busy ;/

And thanks! I hope so too! I have a pole barn for the hay and a classic barn where I keep all my tools and my cat.

Namune
⊙ω⊙

Old 12-07-2019, 04:42 AM

Car'a'Carn: Thanks! The one thing I'm apprehensive about when thinking chickens is if I'll slaughter any. Just... Yeee.