SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2011, 02:41 AM

Character C shall be called Albinus. Here’s his section!

It would be another year until new shoes would be distributed. Staring down at already bloody, scratched feet, the seconds seemed to slow and that year looked as if it would never come. To think, there was torture worse than wearing the shoes that quickly forced soles to blister, callous, and toughen. Although it was an arduous process and sliding then on as the sun awoke each day had made him grimace in the past, Albinus now missed having them. The day was still young and already he’d stepped on three unnaturally sharp rocks embedded in the land that had apparently already been thoroughly worked and tilled.

Making it to the end of the day would be an accomplishment. Recently, he was finding it more and more impossible to regain all of the energy lost tending to plants and animals for as long as the sun would allow him to see. Each night, it became harder to force his share of stale bread down his throat- the two dry surfaces painfully scratched along one another until, finally, the bread gave way and tumbled the rest of the way down into the awaiting pit of emptiness. One day, Albinus figured, the bread would get the best of him. Sleep was even more difficult to come by. Despite constant fatigue, his mind refused to rest. At all hours of the night, it filed through memories and aspirations until sleep came to grant some relief. But, his dreams did just what his mind did in the hours he was awake.

Walking through the field of wheat that would be used to make the vary bread he battled on a daily basis, Albinus attempted to remember what his dream from the previous night had been. A woman, he recalled, with a soft voice. She told him everything would be okay. Was that a memory of his mother? Dreams and memories were slowly blurring together. Albinus pushed the thought from his mind because it struck a fear that his he was losing his sense of reality. For now, he would just do his work. Silly dreams of freedom and other nonsense would have to wait until he was off of his feet.

The young man’s age was unknown even to him. By his calculation, he placed himself at twenty or so years. Albinus counted two pairs of shoes he had gone through since arriving to his current master, not including the pair he had just lost. That would be four years. For at least six years before, he studied under the care of another master, one determined to sell him for double the amount he’d cost (though this venture failed on account of Albinus’s feisty attitude as a child.) It was there Albinus learned to count. Before that, Albinus had faint memories of one who always lovingly spoke his name. At this point, everything felt far.

A collar sat upon shoulders, which looked strong from a life spent working. For the first few days with it, he was able to walk upright and function as though the collar was weightless, a feat which others couldn't help but be awed by. But by now, it cut into the base of his neck and ruined his proud posture. From what he could make out, running wiry fingers on indents along the side of it, it bore a message along the lines of, “If you find me, please return me to master Livianus.” Slowly, that man, the one with his name engraved on the collar, was breaking Albinus down. He knew it, but could do nothing to resist.

When he reached the barn that housed horses in conditions better than those he and his peers saw, Albinus was quick to begin his chores. Even Felix, the usually cold manager of all slaves (a slave himself) seemed to be feeling pity for him. With Livianus away, Felix allowed Albinus some relief. For the day, he would be able to watch time pass with the horses that rarely ever saw action. Brushing the long mane of the eldest horse in the barn, Albinus quietly muttered to it how much he envied.

“You and I are so much alike.” his long arm swept roughly down the horse’s back, “We’ve both worked hard. We even have the same hair- course, dirty, and dark. But you’re lucky. You get to rest after such a life of being ridden. I’ll be ridden for a long while yet and I’ll never see profit from it. I’m not rewarded with an extra meal or rest like you.”

Character A shall be Livianus

The farm was prospering. Under his rigid structure of slaves, some worked as guards while others as managers. He’d developed his very own little economy in which everyone worked for the greater good (which was to serve their superior). If only he had been appointed consul at last, he could make Rome just as successful as the little world he controlled within his own backyard.

Only one disturbance had been brought to his attention so far in the year, and that was of a particularly boar-headed farmhand’s attempt to run off. Obviously, the boy was just too young to see the beauty of the well functioning body he ran. It was a pity, though. This boy caught his fancy, and if the boy had been just a bit less sickly thin and his attitude less arrogant (imagine, an arrogant slave!), Livianus would have certainly considered giving the boy a better position in the social structure- one that involved less menial labor and would allow the boy to blossom into something wonderful.

It was that thought and those plans that drove Livianus to find yet another new member to add to his community, one to take away the dreadful feeling of always being so alone. Giving it more thought, he figured a slave would best fulfill this duty. It would be much less responsibility than a wife. And, a giddy thought came to mind; maybe he could find an exotic one from a distant land.

Although he was now well into his forties, Livianus still acted in the silly manner of a child. The wide smile he often almost always wore was one of someone much younger. His bright eyes often glowed to match such a smile.

Livianus walked through crowded streets on his own feet (which was rare), hoping to find someone to be bought for cheap, but not counting on it. He was making his way to a formal auction, but taking his time about getting there, imagining every good possibility, and ruling out the bad.

Last edited by SirGollyGumDrop; 11-19-2011 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: I don't know the alphabet!

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Character B shall be called Hadyn

Hadyn really didn't know where they were taking him. He jut knew that it was far from his home in Wales. Which was disappointing. Which just meant that he wouldn't be able to run away and return home easily like he would have wanted.

His black hair hung in his sky-blue eyes and he couldn't brush it back with his hands tied behind his back. He was sitting in the back of a dark covered caravan with many others. He didn't speak to them though. He had nothing to say to them. His feet were also bound at the moment, but probably wouldn't be when they needed him to walk.

They soon arrived at their destination and everybody was forced out. Hadyn squinted against the sudden light as he was forced forward. He could hear some sort of auction up ahead and realized that they would more likely be sold. That figures. He was really starting to hate his luck. It seemed to be getting worse and worse over his 19 years of life. As long as his family was safe though, he wouldn't try to fight. At least, not to much.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2011, 10:10 PM

I'll bring back Albinus when he plays a role again.

“Livanus? What is your business here in the open? Surely you cannot be expecting to find anyone to suit your needs here- the pretty girls are sold only in the cover of night, when it is too dark for the law,” was the first greeting Livanus received from a man he had long called his friend, but without a servant around to remind him, did not know the name of.

“Oh, old friend, I can look around. Perhaps I will find someone to fill my other positions,” with that, Livanus plunged into the crowd, hoping to escape further questioning.

A covered caravan had pulled up just as he had arrived among the bustling auction and from where he stood, he had a good view of all those being forced forward and out. Though, he only scanned one or two before his vision narrowed on a boy whose dark hair covered his eyes. From a distance, the boy showed such potential, but Livanus was a picky man. First, he would need to examine teeth, eyes, et cetera.

Among others noisily placing their bids on an older slave, who would likely go for little and spend his life doing the dirty work of some middle class family, Livanus stood out as the solitary, quiet figure. It was one of those rare moments his face was not brightened with a smile, but heavy in thought. The straight-lipped expression and squinted eyes, oddly enough, looked just as at home on his face as a smile. It was the way his attention fell back onto the black haired boy every time he attempted to turn it to another being that bothered him- the way he knew, in the back of his mind, he had already made his choice. He was not a man to do things by impulse, especially when things as important as money and companionship hung in the balance.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 PM

Hadyn watched as other people were sold ahead of him. Yep, he was definitely going to end up sold. He just hoped it was to someone who was nice and wasn't going to be cruel and beat him. That wouldn't work for him. He'd take off in the middle of the night if that happened. No matter the consequences.

A short while later, it was his turn and he was forced up on the stage. The breeze blew his hair out of his face and he instantly felt better about that. But then again, he didn't want to pay attention to the people who were bidding.

The numbers started off low, but got higher and higher as time moved on. Even he was surprised by it. But it didn't show on his face. He kept it completely blank. He wasn't going to let this affect him.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-19-2011, 10:52 PM

As the price climb, Livanus remain still, as though he was unaware of the competition. Had those been blue eyes he’d seen when the wind blue the hair from that face? They were the color of the sky, a feature that further urged Livanus to go with his instinct and settle on that one.

“I,” Livanus had a low, authoritative voice that commanded attention, “I would be willing to pay any price for this one, on the condition I may first take a better look.” The words had fallen from his lips before he even realized he was the one speaking. For that moment, there was a tiny quiet and he felt the center of attention hone in on him for the tiniest second. It was his chance, though he wasn’t entirely certain it was an opportunity he knew he wanted to take.

Continuing to act without strategy, Livanus climbed onto the stage without waiting to receiving an answer. Almost immediately, he was in front of the boy, attempting to get another look at the color of those eyes. If he could just take another look, his mind would be made up, he decided as he lifted his hand and placed a gentle finger beneath the boy’s chin. Once again, he seemed to forget where he was and why he was there. Had he known of how unaware he had again become, it would have frightened him, but at that moment, it felt natural to be doing as he was.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 01:27 AM

When someone spoke, Hadyn's attention turned to the man. He looked him over discreetly, trying to figure out what type of person he was. He really didn't want to go with a cruel person.

He watched as the man came up to the stage and over to him. He nearly flinched when he was reached for, but managed to stop himself. He would not show weakness. Not in front of this man or anybody.

He tilted his head up to look at the man's face. Up close would definitely be easier to tell what type of man he was. But, looking at him, he really couldn't tell. Which bothered him. Normally he was good at reading people. But he just couldn't for this guy.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 AM

Those eyes were certainly the color he’d first suspected. Satisfied, Livanus slid his hand from beneath the boy’s chin onto his shoulder.

For the first time all day, Livanus put on his signature grin. It had a way of shifting his entire face in such a manner that the friendly, warm figure now examining the boy seemed to be another person entirely. A dimple formed on his right cheek, and creases at the corners of his eyes deepened to show how often he liked to adorn his face with such a smile. Even his eyes seemed to both have their own little smiles. It all played a small role in distracting those who looked upon his features from the crooked teeth he still proudly showed on a regular basis. Only those that knew Livanus well knew he could dedicate as much to anger as he did happiness.

“Do you speak my language? Are you afraid? What do you call yourself?” his questions came in a quick series. The voice he used now was far softer and, unlike earlier, it did not rumble. Instead, it came as a tiny, comforting coo. Quieter still, he continued without pause, “Your eyes. It looks at though bits of the sky were used to make them!” With these words, his smile grew. Were it not for his still deep voice, his tone could have easily been mistaken as one used by a giddy teenager with a silly crush.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 02:45 AM

Hadyn noticed the change in the man's face. It made him look like he would be a good person. That was a good think at least. But then again, looks could be deceiving. He would just have to wait and see.

"Of course I speak your language. I know many languages. I am not afraid. And my name is Hadyn." he stated. Sure, he wasn't afraid. At least, not at the moment. If he was asked when he was first taken, then the answer would have been yes. He was then. He couldn't help but blush slightly at the man's next comment about his eyes. Nobody's ever described them like that before and it was a bit flattering. Even if it was coming from a man.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 AM

“A smart one. Not only that, but a with a brave heart,” Livanus concluded with a small nod. The light blush on Hadyn’s face caused Livanus’s cheeks to lightly tickle pink as well. With that, his decision was already made. This would be the one chosen for a place as grand as companion. If not this one, no one else would do.

“Would you…” there was a sudden hesitation in his voice, as though the answer to his next question would actually play a role in determining the boy’s fate, “would you come with me, if I promised I could buy you and take you far away from this life?”
Livanus, again aware he was in a public place, scanned the crowd again. Many had long since lost interest and were busily looking at the next man for sale. “I own many fields and my home is one to be admired. I could get you cleaned up and you could live like royalty. You could even have slaves of your own, if you come with me.” When it came to talking of his home, Livanus gained a sort of distant look, as though he was dreaming of it at the very moment. Aside from the small pause at the beginning of his question, he was oddly casual about his offer- as though speaking to a slave in such a manner was something done often. He shocked even himself.

Without waiting for a response, Livanus was already working to untie the satchel on his side, readying himself to pay and be off. The city and all its noise were starting to lessen his good mood. Though he’d only been away for the day, he already found himself missing what he considered his own little paradise.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 AM

Hadyn was embarrassed by the compliments. It made him blush a bit more and drop his eyes. Though when the man spoke again his gaze rose to look at him again.

He was surprised by what was said. He didn't think he would be getting a choice about being bought or not. It sounded to good to be true. There had to be some sort of catch. But a part of him didn't care. The offer was to good to pass up.

He nodded slightly. "Yeah. That sounds good. Though I wouldn't want slaves of my own." he told the man. He really didn't like the idea of slavery. Especially now that he was being sold himself.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 AM

His smile grew at the answer, though after the nod, Livanus really failed to pay much further attention. He had received the response he had been hoping for. In his eyes, it was a sure sign things would work out as beautifully as he had planned. With the satchel completely free from his hip, Livanus left the boy to drop his heavy satchel into the hands of the nearest soldier that had been helping to run the auction.

Once again, his voice rose to boom again. In a cheerful half-chuckle, he told the man, “I will be taking this one to my farm- he will fit in perfectly, I’m sure.” He gestured toward Hadyn, boldly waving his arm in a large movement, “And if this is not enough, you know where to find me. I am always home and my doors are always open.”

Returning to Hayden, Livanus took hold of the rope that bound the boy’s hands. “Are you ready to be off, then? I can give you the grand tour and after it will be time for a well deserved rest.” Whether his eagerness could be perceived as adorable or not laid completely in the eyes of the beholder. Once again, Livanus had fallen into acting like a childish dreamer.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 AM

Hadyn watched as the man paid the soldier. He was a bit curious to how much was in the bag. But pushed the thought out of his mind. It really didn't matter that much.

He nodded. "Yeah. I'm ready." Of course he was ready. He was tired of being here. He wanted to get away from all the people who just spent a long time staring at him. He liked attention as much as the next guy, sure. But that was just to much.

"What's your name anyway?" he asked, curious. It would be helpful to know the guy's name, after all.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 05:05 AM

“In public, I am master,” Livanus began walking slowly forward and off of the stage, the rope still in hand to reassure him his new gift to himself would not run off and be lost among all of the others in the crowd. Once again, Livanus was in reality and he reminded himself that although he intended to make more of this boy, he was but a slave still and so could not yet be trusted.

“But, my name is Livanus. It is what my friends call me and I would like for you to one day be able to think of me as a friend, even if I have bought you,” as he had done with the soldier, Livanus spoke with a carefree chuckle, as though they had already long been friends. Livanus walked backwards, to face the boy as he spoke and attempted to pull him through the auction area and to the quiet end of the city where his horse awaited in the care of yet another man he dared call friend but never really bothered to learn the name of.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Well. That made sense. Though he wasn't going to happy calling anybody 'master'. Hadyn would deal with it though. He didn't want to ruin what could be a good thing. He followed after him. There was no chance of him getting lost; not with the rope. Unless it broke, of course.

Livanus.. That was an interesting name. "Maybe someday we could be friends." he told him. He wasn't sure if he would be able to think of this man as a friend. He looked old enough to be his father. Which led him to think of his own father and a wave of homesickness crashed through him and it made his chest hurt. He wasn't sure if it showed on his face or not. He hoped not though.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Livianus’s smile warmed at Hadyn’s words. He was far too lost in his own little world of fantasy once again to notice any signs of sadness in the boy. Their relationship would be a thing of stories if his plans were able to see the light of day. Soon, Livianus hoped, he could make the boy consider him something much more than a friend. But, for now, casual was the game. Until they were safely home, he knew he couldn’t allow the boy to know his plans. He wouldn’t yet understand.

As they made it out of the crowd and he immediately untied the rope. “Walk beside me,” Livanus had gone back to cooing again, “like friends should. We’re almost to the city end and there we can take my favorite horse, a strong, sturdy mare I intend to one day breed for more horses as wonderful as she. Do you like horses? I could get you your own, too.”

(I just realized that I misspell his name 50% of the time)

And here comes a slow reintroduction to Albinus-

Sometime, in tending the horses, he had found enough comfort to at last make up for the sleep he missed each night. The fresh straw on the floors of their barn made better bedding than the old, flattened straw that had been used in his bed. It even smelled better. So, among the hay, horses, and manure, Albinus was able to lay comfortably in his sleep, though his mind was not necessarily at rest, as was clear by the way he flinched every so often with a dream of the night he’d run away and the paralyzing fear of being hunted like a common beast. Had he been awake, he would have reminded himself that, as a slave, that was all he would ever amount to, but his dream knew only the memory of running and the quickening of his heart beat.

A cracked plate sat beside him, one of his greatest foes sat upon it. The lump of bread was misshapen and clearly already partially eaten, although that didn’t really matter at all, as Albinus wouldn’t have taken it had he been awake when it was delivered with the best of intentions.

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 AM

Hadyn pushed his sadness away when Lavianus spoke again. When the ropes were untied, he rubbed his wrists gently to ease some of the pain out of them. Those ropes were extremely tight. He was a bit surprised to be untied in the first place, but he wasn't going to complain about it.

He nodded to the question. "Yeah. I like them well enough. Never had one though." he said. His family wasn't really able to afford a horse. They had enough money for food and what was necessary. That was it. Besides, it wasn't like there was any real need for one for them anyway.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 AM

“I think they are beautiful,” Livianus stared off again, as he had done when boasting about his home, “I have a barn full, and you may choose any of them. If they aren’t fit, we will find one that is.” He turned back to Hadyn, smile still set perfectly in place and once again a laugh blended with his words, as one so often did. “But it’s too soon to be thinking about that. We need to get home first.”

With that, he had begun walking again, in a pace even slower than before and with eyes even more intently glued onto the boy, ready to leap at the first sign of an escape.

(sorry this one is so short)

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 AM

Hadyn nodded. It would be amazing to own his own horse. He was starting to like this place before they even arrived. Though he knew it would take a while before he considered the place as home. As they walked, his eyes looked around the area, curious about everything around them. He was so far from home and wanted to see everything at once. He didn't even notice that they were walking slowly.

{{Its alright.}}

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Convinced now that Hadyn was not about to take off, Livianus slowly picked up his pace, closing the distance between them and the fine beast he so dreamingly spoke of faster. The boy’s curiosity sparked Livianus’s interest, though he quickly became distracted in just watching those eyes move about to take in the scenery. This, Livianus decided, proved Hadyn’s potential, but brought about a new fear. Livianus now worried this speaker of many languages whose eyes seemed to take in so much was, perhaps, a bit more intelligent than would be good for him. It was a thought he immediately pushed from his mind, for now was a time to be happy.

“I took only one horse, and I apologize for my lack of forethought,” Livianus spoke again as the buildings grew more distant and the bustle of the city died on its outskirts, “But I assure you, she could carry us both, if it would not make you too uncomfortable.” Already the horse was in sight, tall and patiently awaiting the return of her rider. “Otherwise, we would have to walk, and that makes the trip so much longer than it really needs to be.”

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Hadyn almost didn't hear Livianus speak. But he did and his gaze turned to the older man. "That's fine. Though I've never even ridden on a horse before." he said. He was a bit excited to ride one, but he kept it off his face, just in case it didn't happen. Wouldn't want to look to eager, now would he?

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-21-2011, 01:40 AM

Livianus half frowned, he’d been hoping to impress the boy from the start, but he saw no excitement on that face. An overconfident man, Livianus believed he had much to be proud of, though his hardworking crew of slaves was already off of the list, and now as was his favorite horse. It almost worried him. No matter, he decided, a horse may be a small deal, but he would have many chances to show off.

As they neared the horse, Livianus broke suddenly into a full paced sprint, apparently now confident enough in his slave to do so. Anyway, he was so sure of his own horsemanship and the reliability of his steed, that he felt little could outrun them. It was all in one motion that Livianus placed his feet together and pushed himself off the ground, looking almost as though he’d found a way to escape the very earth for the tiniest moment before his legs parted and he landed so perfectly into his place on the war saddle.

She truly was a marvel, the horse. A thick mane of black hair cascaded down her neck. The short hairs that covered the rest of her caught and reflected the light in such a way that accented her sturdy muscles. Somehow, this frighteningly large beast managed to convey gentleness. Her eyes, black like all of her other features, often met with Livianus’s gaze when he did something she did not approve of or when he went out at late hours when sleep refused to come and spent the night brushing her main.

The way he so gently patted her after his first, overeager greeting was filled with the love shared between brothers. She was the only creature anyone had ever seen Livianus treat with constant kindness, for they were one and the same. The two had gone through much together and in times of war, it was her bravery that Livianus credited his survival to.

“You aren’t afraid, are you?” Livianus called, energized by his sudden action. “Because there’s no need to be. She’s as sweet as a butterfly and I’ve been told we make a wonderful team.”

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-21-2011, 01:50 AM

Hadyn was surprised when Livianus started running suddenly. Luckily, he could keep up. He was curious about where they were going. Which was the only reason why he didn't think to run off, like he would any other time.

He stopped a few feet from the horse, a bit nervous to approach. He's never really been close to a horse before, so naturally he was. He could handle being close though. He just needed to take a few deep breaths. Which he did before moving closer.

"No.. I'm not afraid. Just a tiny bit nervous about riding her." he told her. "She really is beautiful though." he added, complimenting her.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 AM

A look of encouragement appeared on his face as he watched Hadyn take in deep breaths before making his approach. The boy gave Livianus more and more reason to like him. He found such hesitation almost adorable, and above all, Hadyn hadn’t run off. Livianus took note to reward the boy for it one day. Just watching brought up a friendly chuckle in Livianus.

All cheerfulness had returned to Livianus. “Well, there’s no need to be nervous either. She and I both know what we’re doing.” He lowered his hand in an offer to help Hadyn mount, sliding off of the saddle to sit just behind it as he did. “You can even take hold of the reins, if you wish.”

Neko Ninja
(。⌒∇⌒)&...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:42 AM

Hadyn took the hand offered to him as he mounted the horse. Though he was surprised by the offer. Then nodded. "Yeah. That would be great." he told him, a small smile forming on his face. He wanted to experienced everything there was to horses. They were fascinating, after all. Plus, it was helping him adjust a bit to being away from home. Which was a fact he was trying so hard to forget. Otherwise he was going to end up breaking down into tears.

SirGollyGumDrop
⊙ω⊙

Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Livianus’s fingers enclosed around the boy’s hand and he pulled to help his new prize onto the horse. Though they hadn’t yet even left the city, he’d already begun to show his intentions in the way he held Haydn just a bit too close and acted a bit too eager to please a simple slave. "You're doing a fine job around her," Livianus quietly began, "She doesn't like it when one is over eager, nor when one is ready to run from her," again, he patted the horse.

“Ah yes, you will love it, I know,” Livianus said with a happy sigh, gently holding the reins up to hand to the boy.

((Glargararga, sorry it's so awkwardly written and tiny. I'm still getting back into the swing of things))