PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 AM

He fell back, amazed at the sudden closeness and its loss. It left him feeling so ... bereft. The young man felt tears welling from his eyes again. This hurt nearly as much as the loss of his sister. That had him laughing, and crying, all at the same time. There was a pain in Torrance's heart which refused to slip away. The ache of unrequited, impossible, love ... Yes, that's exactly what it was and the prince listened to it silently and made it his lullaby.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.
Send a message via AIM to Tachigami

Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 AM

Sharp sunlight glared to life, assaulting his eyes though they were closed and making him turn over. Soryn didn't want to wake up now---in his dreams he was free to say what he wanted, and no one could scoff or shake their head or say he wasn't allowed to feel this way because of his status. Or his race. In his dreams it didn't matter to anyone. And Torrance loved him too. It was a reality far less cold than the one he had to endure, with a bitten tongue and tears of denial in secret.

But he couldn't fight it anymore, and he opened his eyes with a dejected sigh, sitting up and looking about the room. He was alone, as he usually was in the mornings. Soryn stretched, kicking off the blankets and slipping carefully to the floor. He felt a bit dirty, though that had come from not having a bath recently. A door nearby led into a bathroom---the whole of the castle had running water, something that was rare but for high-ranking citizens and those of the royal family and their underlings. He crept quietly to the wardrobe in the corner, pulling light dusty-red tunic and leggings, and a white cloth belt. Pale tones for a pale creature.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-17-2013, 02:36 AM

Torrance awoke to a sticky feeling face and eyes closed with the residue of tears. He forced them open, sighing at the disarray in clothing. O well, it was time to change anyway and that he much preferred to do alone. The prince moved into the bold, jewel tones he preferred. Purple today, with dark brown pants tucked into black leather boots. Today he slipped on a ring Blythe had given him once, stating that the dragon sung stone would bring him luck.

He didn't want luck ... Shaking his head, the prince left the room with a nod to his guards and went to knock upon Soryn's door. He needed the other man's company now, more then ever before. If only they could have more, if it were possible and if the feelings were returned.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM

Soryn had submerged himself for a time under continuously warming water. The coals under the tub did their magic over time, easing the worry out of his bones but keeping it at the forefront of his mind. As the glass in the single arched window lit up a bit more, Soryn slid into clean clothes and shook his hair out so it would dry a little faster, feeling better physically, but still a little weary emotionally. He was sliding on white boots when a sound emitted from the door, making him jump and shrink back before he realized it was someone knocking. Jumping up, his footsteps were silent on the floor as he crossed the room and pulled the door open, brightening a bit at the sight of Torrance.

"Come in, please!" He opened the door a little wider so he could enter, and closed it gently. Perhaps his mind had been read, because Soryn was thinking about leaving his room to see Torrance. Even if he couldn't say what he wanted, it was nice to see the prince.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-19-2013, 02:38 AM

He smiled at the invitation and let himself in. "Would you like to go out riding with me? Someone sent me a horse, I thought you could test it out." It would pure bliss getting out of the palace, when everything within was such chaos. He hoped that the musician, his elven companion, would say yes.

Running free in the forest, with the feel of a horse beneath him and his friend's voice filling his ears.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:52 AM

A horse...? Soryn had never ridden a horse. Or at least, he had, but it was a few years ago, and he was only twelve years old. He knew Torrance had a horse already, and wouldn't find use with another. But Soryn had what he needed---clothes, some instruments, sometimes paper and writing utensils if the desire to write a poem or song struck. But a horse? Never...

Still, the thought of getting away---riding with Torrance, away from the palace, away from the turmoil and insanity, and being away from lessons and tutors... It sounded like real freedom, at least for a while. "I... I'd love to." He said at last, nodding. "Are you sure it's okay, though...?" He didn't second-guess Torrance, of course, but he didn't want either of them in trouble either.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 PM

A wicked kind of smile crossed the prince's lips. "Of course I am, it's my horse isn't it? I can do what I want with it, and right now I would like you to ride it." Oh the freedom riding out could bring, even guards, was a heady feeling and he wanted to share it with the half elf so much. It would be good for the both of them to spend time away from the palace.

"You have ridden before," stated Torrance with some hesitation. Dimly he could remember Soryn taking ridding lessons alongside him, but much more then that the prince couldn't recall.The horse was a rather placid one, easy to ride and calm, hopefully the half-elf could manage and if not ... If not it would be kind of nice to rid in and rescue Soryn.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 AM

Soryn smiled, and nodded. "I have, yes." He said. If he thought, the young man could recall how it felt to ride a horse. A strong creature, sturdy and quick on its hooves, the way it walked could vary between smooth and jerky, but in any manner he could feel a type of... freedom. He hadn't reached his full height yet, so being upon the back of a tall, strong creature made Soryn feel as if he were invincible. "I'd love to go with you." He spun around, diving halfway under his bed and pulling a bleached leather bag. It slung over his shoulder and was kept out of the way, but could hold a single item---his hand-harp. Perhaps they could escape the palace for a while and find their way to a place Soryn knew about. A small spot by a stream, quiet and safe, fit for spending time away from the constant bother of day to day activities. And because of recent events, he was sure the prince could escape for a while, to clear his mind at least.

With the item placed securely over his shoulder, Soryn turned to Torrance. "I'll follow you." He said, though the words meant much more than they initially might sound. To Soryn, the words were a promise to follow Torrance anywhere, no matter the day.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 AM

The young prince walked from the rooms through the sumptuous palace until they had reached the outside courtyard. Horses neighing filled the air soon enough as they approached the royal stables. With much bowing and scraping the horses were brought out, a sixteen hands high chestnut coated stallion for the prince, and a golden coated, white maned, mare for Soryn. She was an even tempered beauty, suited to the half elf far more then Torrance, or so that was his opinion.

He mounted his horse with practiced ease and leaned forward to grin at his friend. "So what do you think of her? Oh and this here is Char." Torrance glanced at the guards also mounting up and smiled at those he knew. They seemed almost relieved to know that he was leaving the sorrow of the palace behind, for now at least.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:10 AM

Soryn gladly followed the young man, keeping close at his heels with a hand lightly over the bag at his side. He was really looking forward to escaping the palace and showing Torrance his favored place to hide away. Though it was rare he could get away without anyone noticing, Soryn did take time to himself, despite being lonely when he did. Still, being so close to nature was a pleasure he didn't often get, and it was ever sweeter to him, specifically. Maybe it was his elf blood that had the young man so close to the earth.

Finally outside, Soryn was met with the mare he would ride. A lovely thing, golden and white, like precious metals. Her long mane sat easily over her long neck and over one eye, and her tail twitched as if she wanted to show off its flowing elegance. "She's beautiful." He said after a moment, drawing a thin hand over her coat. Then he grasped the saddle and put a foot in the stirrup, hefting himself up and into the seat. It seemed he remembered well enough, the basics of riding a horse unassisted. He looked to Torrance, nodding that he was ready. It was just off one of the major paths and Soryn was already imagining the place.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 AM

The group, led by the prince and his guards with Soryn at Torrance's side, made their way upon the path. The deeper the wandered into the forest, the more relaxed Torrance became. He couldn't help but point out things he'd read about alongside the road, or wonder aloud about how soon the hunting season would come along. Soon he would be out there hunting with his mother and the rest of the court interested in such things.

When he noticed a small path leading away from the main one, Torrance halted his horse and the company. "Which way?" He was rather curious about this second path. Usually people tended to stay on the main one, where the roads were well worn and clearly visible.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 AM

Soryn happily rode alongside Torrance, smiling as if in a dreamlike state. The way the sun shone through the trees with a pale greenish-gold tint gave everything a bit of enchanting beauty, even if they weren't alone. It would have been nice to be. Eventually he would have to be able to go out alone, or at least with only one guard. Perhaps they were still too young yet... In any case, the small area Soryn referred to was a safe haven, like a small bowl with only one safe entrance or exit. And they made it in due time.

"That's the way." He pointed, directing attention to the small path. It was heavily guarded by trees and foliage more dense than that of the main path, because it had been made by animals over a great deal of time. "It's... quiet there. Only one other path leads into it and that's from the stream that runs through it." The clearing was quiet, too. One could hear anything approaching. He hoped they would be allowed to go unfollowed, so he could show Torrance the music he had been working on recently.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM

The prince glanced at his guards questioningly, and smiled brightly when the captain chuckled a bit and nodded imperceptibly. Good! The men would stay close, but would allow the two youths to spend time alone. Knowing that, Torrance grinned and kicked his powerful horse forward expertly. He couldn't help but laugh as Char ambled into the clearing. Oh what a sight it was!

Pristine water glimmered beneath the sun's rays. Each blade of grass bent invitingly with the wind. Torrance jumped down from Char's broad back and let the reins drop. The horse had been trained to stay where he was now. "Come on, this place is amazing!" He couldn't keep the excited awe from his voice.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 AM

Soryn hurried the mare after Torrance, emerging into the clearing and finding it as beautiful as it always was. Warm in the sun that managed to get through the trees from the bare area where the trees made a circle, and the sound of gentle water and breeze, and the occasional bird chirping somewhere nearby, made use of their sounds. He jumped down and put a hand on the horse, confident that she wouldn't wander off. "It is." He agreed eagerly, going to the water's edge and kneeling. The water was clear and beautiful, and he could see small fish dart over the rocks. "I come here when I can." He admitted. Perhaps it wasn't permitted for him to go running off---the concept was never brought up and therefore, never discussed. But he had to tell Torrance.

"I would come here at night, and watch things go by. I'd walk. Bring an instrument. It inspired me so... so much. This is where many songs you hear me play come from." He smiled, chuckled a little. He didn't mention where the rest came from---Torrance himself, and dreams Soryn often had.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-22-2013, 01:56 AM

"I wish I could do the same ..." There were times he wanted to run away, but he ever had because of everything he would have lost. Torrance moved to kneel beside his friend and was more then tempted to lean against him. A fish darted across the river right before his eyes, and the prince took his chance to do just that as he leaned up against the half-elf to peer at the little creature.

"Look at that!" He pointed it out excitedly. The guard could probably hear everything, and everything was all so innocent.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:17 AM

Soryn grinned, and nodded, taking the chance to put a little weight against Torrance in turn. He was thin, so he didn't think it would be taken into consideration. "Yes." He said quickly. It seemed odd. How someone could get so excited---or at least be able to easily feign such excitement---over a little silver fish. Torrance was so sheltered in the castle, in the kingdom walls. He nary got to enjoy nature without guards breathing down his neck. "That reminds me, Torrance..." Soryn looked down, fiddling with the strap of his bag, and pulling the hand harp out. "I've been working on some music I was hoping you would listen to... before I let anyone else hear." He was well known as a bard as well as the prince's whipping boy. Often he would sit around certain areas and gatherings and play soft music of his own creation as entertainment.

Sitting back, Soryn ran his fingers over certain strings, creating a light tune. It felt silvery on the air.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-28-2013, 01:50 AM

At the mention of music, he twisted away from the river and turned to stare with rapt attention at his friend. Soryn enchanted him when he played... There was absolutely no looking away. It almost seemed like the music issued from the air itself, so natural it sounded. Torrance wanted to close his eyes to savor the sounds, but then he wouldn't be able to watch the half-elf play.

"So beautiful ..." He wished Soryn would pick up on the fact that he was talking as much about the musician as his music, Such a thing, such a realization, was tantalizingly just out of reach.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM

Soryn lightly pursed his lips, glad to hear such praise. He almost felt the words were meant for him. Someone thought he was beautiful? Someone felt it necessary to let him know? And someone so close to him, someone that had always, always been so close to him, always so kind to him, the only one that ever really cared about how he felt. How he'd tried to spare the whip for Soryn through the years... But the young half-elf understood his position, though perhaps he was more accepting. No, he was far more accepting.

But Soryn didn't speak. He pretended that, even if the words weren't for him, they really were. In his mind he thanked Torrance for the sweet words. "I play from my inspiration." He whispered, loud enough for Torrance to hear. "Such amazing inspiration follows me wherever I go." What better to inspire than the prince? Elegance in human form, mystery and utter impossibility.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 AM

His breath caught. Could the words mean him? That was wistful thinking, nothing more... But oh the possibility, the hope, it lay tantalizingly out of reach. "Oh, Soryn ... I wonder what inspires you so." Someone else, had another wriggled their way into the half-elf's heart? The thought was too painful to contemplate.

Instead, the prince turned his eyes to the water once more and let his hands trail beneath the surface. Long fingers fiddled with rocks, touching the smooth surfaces and turning them over now and then. One caught his eyes, it sparkled under the odd sunlight filtering through the trees. Torrance fished it out carefully and lay the white stone upon his palm to watch it sparkle.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 AM

Soryn smiled. Maybe he was being too obvious, but at least Torrance wasn't degrading him if he knew. Even so, he played a little slower. "Dark turned to light." He replied carefully. "The hidden sweetness under the dark." He giggled lightly. Torrance's hair was so dark, eyes too. What else but his dark looks could inspire, after all? Soryn's hand slipped, and a finger sliced down one of the thinnest strings. He gasped, snatching back his finger and staring at the cut. A ribbon of red had already begun blooming and sliding down his hand. "Oh... Torrance, I'm... I'm sorry." Sorry for allowing himself such distraction. One wouldn't believe how dangerous a bard's work could be. Sometimes they would slice up their fingers so much they couldn't even play music without a good amount of pain in their hands if they relied on stringed instruments. Now Soryn felt he'd wronged the prince, letting his mind wander too far away from what he was doing, hurting himself in the process.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 AM

Dark turned to light? It made his hope blaze, as Torrance considered his own coloring. Such beautiful music, inspired by him? He wanted it to be true, with all his heart. The prince held the sweet words to his heart and smiled, turning his full attention to the bard once more. A wince, a gasp, then blood ... The unecessary apology made Torrance snap out, act his thoughts in truth. "Why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong!"

His hands, they moved as if on their own. Torrance cradled the injured limb carefully, examining it as the blood bloomed still. Unable to resist, he bent his head to clean the blood away with quick little licks, then pressed his lips to Soryn's palm. How many times had he imagined such a simple gesture? Heart beating fast, the prince lifted hopefully fearful eyes to the half-elf's face.

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:29 AM

He could hardly stand it. Why did Soryn have to be born with elf blood? A half-breed creature? If he were fully human, maybe the thought wouldn't be so blasphemous. Maybe it wouldn't be so laughable. But he had to steady his leaping heart before speaking, chase the tremor from his voice with a quick gulp. "I... shouldn't have let my thoughts go." He managed at last, sighing lightly as the sting in the cut ebbed away. "I, um... can't help but get distracted sometimes, I guess." He chuckled nervously, taking his hand back to study the wound. It wasn't a terrible injury, a bit more than a flesh wound that went down the side of the ring finger. It would heal within a couple days, but then, his elf blood didn't let little wounds like these bother him. The deep, recurring slashes on his back, however, were usually deep and lasting enough to create scars, pale silver criss-crossing his back.

He shook his head, forcing his tongue to form words. "T-thank you, though..." If all humans had a sliver of this one's kindness. If everyone did, really---maybe they wouldn't crave war or battle or disruption.

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-30-2013, 06:29 AM

"Soryn, please don't do this anymore ..." The whispered words left his lips before he could think them through. "Run away from here, flee, find someplace where you won't be hurt. I'd ..." He'd gone too far, knew his feelings were written all over his face. "I ..." Torrance reached out to grasp the other youth's hands in his own. Please, he wanted to let the words slip from his mouth but the guards might hear. He couldn't risk it. Never.

The consequences were too dire to contemplate..

Tachigami
It's quiet, now.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 AM

Soryn shook his head, putting one hand over the prince's. "I... can't do it. I mean, I won't. I mean no disrespect---I'd do anything for you---but not this. I hear so many stories of my kind---half-breeds---getting killed or imprisoned or forced into low-class slavery where they're worked to death..." He managed to smile, though it actually hurt to put a cap on the grimace that wanted to show, or stifle the dejected cry that wanted to make itself heard. "A-at least here I know t-th-the..." He paused, breathing in slowly to calm himself. "... the punishment is worth the time." He quickly released the young prince's hand when something shuffled about behind them, but found it only a rabbit darting away from the horses.

He looked back to Torrance. Damn it! Why couldn't he just say it? Say it just low enough so the guards wouldn't hear, then he'd have excuse enough to leave and not feel terrible about it. No, he couldn't leave. He couldn't...

PapillonCameo
(^・o・^)ノ”

Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 PM

"Soryn ...." It was so hard not to say anything, not doing anything. The prince turned away to let his eyes roam over the clearing, and seeing nothing of the guards, he leaned forward. Hesitantly, he pressed his lips to Soryn's cheek. Much more then that, and he was sure they'd get into a horrible kind of trouble. As if simple leaning forward as he had wasn't enough of an invitation for that. Torrance looked away, fiddling with the rock again.