madamelsie
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-06-2009, 10:06 PM

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) starts up Nov. 1 and this will be my second year participating. I was just wondering if anyone else will be spending the month of November attempting to write a 50,000+ novel, and if you are, are you excited? what will you be writing about? have you done NaNo before?

for anyone who wants to know more, you should check out their website. the organization is ran by some really great people.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Nolori
Everyone's Favorite Imaginary Fr...

Old 10-07-2009, 03:09 AM

I've done it, hmm, four times and won my first and last time. I don't have time to do it this year, unfortunately, but I wish everyone luck! I might lurk around on the forums anyway, since I love that community. They're a bunch of great people. =D

And Chris's letters always cheer me up.

Bleak Banter
The almighty useless one

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 AM

Oh shee! D:

I totally forgot I signed up for that this year. -flops around- I don't know if I'll even be able to do it, but this year is the first I'm gonna try. I don't have any notes or anything!

Actually... o.o

Now that I think about it I have this story idea I've been plotting. I guess I could NaNoWriMo that instead of sitting here wishing I could work on it but never getting to it.

I guess I'm more prepared than I thought. xD

Feral Fantom
Ink Warrior
Send a message via AIM to Feral Fantom Send a message via MSN to Feral Fantom

Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm planning on doing it for the first time this year but I still don't have a story idea XD.

madamelsie
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 PM

i've heard a lot of people on the NaNo forums talking about how they plan to write their novels this year without plots or outlines. that kinda scares me, lol. i was actually worried about my own NaNo until about a week ago when a plot came out of nowhere and hit me in the head. i've been trying to do a little research and a very vague outline so I'll be ready when Nov. comes around.

if any of y'all are doing NaNo and want to add me as a "writing buddy", my username on the NaNo site is madam.elsie. feel free to add me. I'd love to keep up w/ you guys and vice versa.

Last edited by madamelsie; 10-09-2009 at 03:44 AM..

kannachan27
Send a message via AIM to kannachan27 Send a message via MSN to kannachan27

Old 10-08-2009, 11:39 PM

I've done it for the last, hmmmm... three or four years? I have not ever won, but I've tried every year. The farthest that I've gotten has been about 32 thousand words. Though, about 5k of that didn't save properly so I was beat down... It really, really sucked. As in, hardcore. Not just for my word-count, either. For my story. I lost a lot of action and plot development in that.

This year, I'm going to pick up an old, abandoned idea and run with it. I'm determined to make it to fifty thousand this time!!!!! :] Even though I'm a freshman in college and have a million other things to do, I'm determined! fourteen hundred words a day shouldn't be too hard... Then again, with my schedule, I'm going to need to plan in writing and extra-writing sessions.

What ideas are you all planning to use? Or, thinking about using? I'm interested in seeing what other writers feel like trying... I, myself, am experamenting with fantasy. I'm also super excited!

madamelsie
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 AM

i guess my story could be considered contemporary fantasy. last year, i wrote a fantasy involving demons and such. that's kinda what all my ideas seem to center around these days. not sure what that's about but i like it. dark, creepy, fantasy. that's what i want to write about.

Brinababy
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 AM

This will be my second year doing NaNoWriMo, and I'm pretty excited. Last year my creative writing teacher forced the class into it and strangely enough I enjoyed it and got to fifty eight thousand words! This year I hope to beat that (even with my classes being hectic), and will probably write a horror/murder genre, because I find it the easiest to add twists to. Good Luck everyone

kannachan27
Send a message via AIM to kannachan27 Send a message via MSN to kannachan27

Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 PM

@Madamelsie: I like dark and creepy fiction ^_^ Though, I have a problem with writing it for some reason. And fantasy, too... I am not sure why, but everytime I start a fantasy story, it never ends up working.

@Brinababy: I wish my teachers would have "made" us write for Nanowrimo!! I could have actually finished instead of trying to write around my classes! But, wow. Fifty-eight thousand words? How'd you manage to write so much? I have a problem managing to write even half that!

My idea for this year is actually an old one that I never finished but haven't forgotten about. It's a story about a girl named Kaaya who has been training with "gods" that her family is able to contact. Though, they seem somewhat fey to me recently and I'm not sure why... Maybe it's because I haven't touched the idea in like two years and I just want to change it? I don't know... But I have about two chapters written from before and a ton of ideas and drawings that I've done to keep my ideas longer.
Since I'm rewriting it, maybe I'll change it up a bit... Though, there's a twist in there where Kaaya (a human girl) gets pregnant by one of the gods and has to work through the abandonment of her family and go into hiding or something. At least, that's what one of the pictures says. I don't know if I'm going to scrap that part of the story or not.

Seren
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-17-2009, 08:34 PM

This is my first year doing it. I'm kinda excited, I have a story in mind written and I'm doing a kick off party. Search for Kathleen Dale to know what I'm talking about. She is my mother and I'm helping with it. I REALLY wish November was here already. I want to write! its going to be fun!:angel:

Aeronaut
(-.-)zzZ
Send a message via MSN to Aeronaut

Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 AM

This is be the third year that I'm doing NaNo. The last two years I failed spectacularly, but I'm determined to win this year. This is the first year I've taken my writing seriously, and I have characters and a plot already, though I do need to finish my plot outline.

My novel this year is a lit fic about this couple that have been yelling at me to write about them for a while, lol. I'm aiming for 2k words a day because I know I can write 1k words in a sitting.

My username on NaNo is Alumia. Feel free to add me if you like. I hang around the forum a lot too, so you might see me over there. ;)

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:37 PM

I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year! I've known about it for years, but because of school have not ever been able to. Now that I'm a freshman in college I'm going to attempt it. I've got a friend who's going to be doing it, too (we were going to write a collaborative novel until I found that it's forbidden in the rules), and I'm going to try to promote it at my college.

Ponta
One is never too early to monolo...

Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 AM

I've done NaNo twice - I managed to complete it the first time around because I really enjoyed the story I was working on. However, the second time I just got too busy and didn't really know what I wanted to work on. I've been trying to convice my cousin to partake in NaNo so she can jump start her writing. I don't believe I'll have the time to do it this year though.

Mirielle195
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM

Do you have to start from scratch on this thing?

Ponta

Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirielle195 View Post
Do you have to start from scratch on this thing?
Well, I think you can use an outline and character sheets but as for the actual story, you can't work on it before NaNo starts.

fairywaif
Flitting free Girl

Old 10-22-2009, 07:35 PM

I'm fairywaif, if anyone wants to add me.

I do fantasy. This one is the most realistic on to date. It's about a dystopia and this group of rebels. It's actually an old idea that I'm totally reworking. So I've actually written stuff before, but it was a totally different story then. Last year I got to about 38k. This year I want to reach at least 45k.

madamelsie
⊙ω⊙

Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponta View Post
Well, I think you can use an outline and character sheets but as for the actual story, you can't work on it before NaNo starts.
For the most part you're right, but I think the official thing is that you can start writing whenever, you just can't include anything you write prior to Nov. 1 in your official word count. The 50,000 word mark must be acquired during the 30 days of November.

Aeronaut
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-22-2009, 10:24 PM

You don't have to start from scratch. You can continue a story you're already working on or whatever, you just can't count (or at least be honest about it if you do) count the words you've already written. NaNo is about writing 50k words in 30 days. It doesn't have to be a novel. It can be a series of short stories, fanfiction or whatever else you can come up with.

mwahhaha
Jesus is super rad

Old 10-23-2009, 03:19 AM

@fairywaif = sweet, I'm totally into the dystopian thing.

Anyways, I'm excited to start this. I haven't completed one of these yet, but I think it would do me good. I have this one story stuck in my head that I just need to force out, I guess.

Ponta

Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeronaut View Post
You don't have to start from scratch. You can continue a story you're already working on or whatever, you just can't count (or at least be honest about it if you do) count the words you've already written. NaNo is about writing 50k words in 30 days. It doesn't have to be a novel. It can be a series of short stories, fanfiction or whatever else you can come up with.
Really?

I never knew this - perhaps I should consider working on one of my stories then so I can actually get something done without worrying about the major editing + plot errors.

Aeronaut
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Yup. The point of NaNo is just writing 50k words.

If you really like your story or really want to get it done, then I say you should go for it.

Goblin Maiden
SUPAH KITTEH HAPPEH POWAH.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Wow, I never knew that either! I thought it had to be absolutely a new idea, from scratch (besides outlines and stuff). Dude. I should totally take advantage of this then. I have a story (or five) that need to be worked on.

Ponta

Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goblin Maiden View Post
Wow, I never knew that either! I thought it had to be absolutely a new idea, from scratch (besides outlines and stuff). Dude. I should totally take advantage of this then. I have a story (or five) that need to be worked on.
lol, I love your "or five" comment - I know exactly what it's like to start multiple stories and then have none of them no where near finished.

Lalatin

Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 AM

I'm so excited! This will be my third year doing NaNo. :3 I have my story idea and I cant WAIT to to start writing!! :3

Azilianna
(-.-)zzZ

Old 10-24-2009, 03:17 AM

Im going to try for NaNoWriMo this year, first try. I already have the start of my story, its just a matter of adding to it.
Read it?

http://www.menewsha.com/forum/art/li...post1765287501

*edit
WAIT. IT HAS TO BE A NEW STORY AT THE START OF THE MONTH. D:
nvm xD

Last edited by Azilianna; 10-24-2009 at 05:56 AM..