Shadami
the one and only

Penpal
Send a message via Yahoo to Shadami

Old 05-07-2013, 03:29 PM

some of it requires extensive math, some requires really basic math. it's not actually THAT hardd. i just literlly can't learn it. I've seen it done. and it makes sense. and than i lose it super fast.

and my brother is in a game designing degree program. and yes.. yes it does require coding. lots and lots of coding.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-07-2013, 03:51 PM

I think I will faint looking at the clumps of codings that makes no sence.
I fare better in reading stories, which also clumps with words. x.x

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM

theydo that yeah.game design would be a dream job though. I could use my gamer self, music loving self. writing self, character designing, architecture, interior design. like... its such a perfect career.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM

I have heard about... advertisement also need characters. Especially those little animate advertisements.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 PM

like the geico gecko!
very true. I hadn't thought about that.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Though I don't think they have bios at all. Maybe just the look. XD

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 01:20 AM

that would probably be the character development on just the artists side.
maybe little tiny things like "british" or "polar bear" xD

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM

I got behind. You don't need to do every task for making a game. That's almost impossible. A coder would hire an artist. Just like with the way an avi site is run. The admins, coders, artists, pixelists, moderators, and then whoever they hire on the outside such as to set up a complicated new feature like a marketplace system.

Animated movies and commercials require storyboard artists. They are given the script and the artist then draws out all the panels. If it's something bigger like with Lord of the Rings, the character design was done by someone else, then given to the storyboard artists. Watch the extras for the LotR movies and you'll learn a lot about how a complicated movie is made.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 PM

heh...Do they really have so many different artist for different little category?
hmm... then good to know~

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 07:27 PM

of course. :/ That's normal for professional level jobs to be highly specialized. I'm sure it's much more blurred for smaller companies as it always is. People would do a little of everything they could. But any huge production has the money to hire all the professionals they need.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 PM

We sure are getting faaaar away from our main topic.

Since this is about character, and there is another thread that mention Mary Sue... and we had the discussion about Mary Sue characters.

When you create your character, do you double check it for Mary Sue tendency?
Like you discover it being Mary Sue, will you try to make it NOT mary Sue... being all conscious about it? and change/refine the characteristic JUST to avoid Mary Sue, but not for plot/character/setting?

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Yeah, producing something really does take that many people doing what you think is little jobs.

As for Mary Sue characters, one of the things I do for that is make a list for myself. Nothing I usually keep, just a check thing.

What are 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses.. and do they seem balanced.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM

Having 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses, look balance by amount, but not balance if you consider the impact of each detail, right?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 02:29 AM

I've never written a Mary Sue that I know of. Even looking back at my really old stuff, my characters aren't really Mary Sue, just boring. I never check for Mary Sueness because it's just not there.

I use tried using something similar to that five strengths and weaknesses thing that I found for an more game style online rp things. It's a bit different and I didn't like it much. Things like that, I don't use to check for Mary Sue potential. Rather, it's to check for underdeveloped characters.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-10-2013, 03:55 AM

Depending on different people, they have different opinion of 'boring'.
What makes you think the character is boring?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 04:13 AM

To me, a boring character is one that does nothing and has no charisma on the page. They're the kind of character that don't make you like, or hate them. They're just there. Usually they're one dimensional and static.

In rps though, I've come to consider too nice of characters as boring too because being the nice guy all the time no matter what assholish thing my character has done gets boring real fast. But that's just rps mostly.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 AM

Talking about nice... I am kinda fed up with the certain characters that are always so nice, not hot temper, and so so so forgiving.

I like vengeance character, and of course lol, depends on what kinda vengeance.

Shadami
the one and only

Penpal

Old 05-10-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
Having 5 strengths and 5 weaknesses, look balance by amount, but not balance if you consider the impact of each detail, right?
Not by 5vs 5 . Cause than it will always be balanced. But looking at the lists themselves. Ex.
Very athletic. Great at math. Struggles with reading. Very awkward when talking one on one.

So these 4 would kind of balance each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Dakuu View Post
I've never written a Mary Sue that I know of. Even looking back at my really old stuff, my characters aren't really Mary Sue, just boring. I never check for Mary Sueness because it's just not there.

I use tried using something similar to that five strengths and weaknesses thing that I found for an more game style online rp things. It's a bit different and I didn't like it much. Things like that, I don't use to check for Mary Sue potential. Rather, it's to check for underdeveloped characters.
That's another reason I do the list. I don't want them so boring in one setting. This Guy is just evil. This Guy is just super nice.
Like. . If its a bad Guy I want to hate and love them at the same time because they are so fleshed out.
Quote:
Talking about nice... I am kinda fed up with the certain characters that are always so nice, not hot temper, and so so so forgiving.

Vengence characters are more fun sometimes because they at least have something to them.

Sorry I haven't been replying. My computer got kidnapped and I'm typing from my phone

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-11-2013, 03:37 AM

Quote:

vengeance is pretty one dimensional too, but it's easier to work with than nice characters. That whole always forgiving thing. It makes it very hard to make the story go anywhere. There's nothing to react to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadami View Post
That's another reason I do the list. I don't want them so boring in one setting.
I feel there are better ways to make sure a character isn't boring though. doing that list could still lead to a boring character.

dragoness129
Slytherin Pride! ^_^

Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 AM

Sometimes I create full bios for the characters, while other times I just dive right into the story and create the characters along the way, giving them the basics at first, then creating their background as the story progresses.
Either way, creating the characters and the world itself are both tons of fun!
Each of them seems real to me because I took the time to think up them, no matter how long it took, even just a minute or two to create them, they are still real to me.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 AM

When I was small, all the story's main character are those super nice and forgiving type... x.x
I can't believe that 'all good people' forgive that easily! The super nice people they are forgiving, yet they can have a quest going on, so I guess story can still goes on. It will be more of a 'To protect the world' thing, rather than finding culprit that kills his family.

Shadamimi~
lol, the example is given. instead of 5 vs 5, is 2 vs 2. Same logic, isn't it? just changes amount.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 AM

Dragoness: It's true that characters are real. I need to draw some art of the voices characters in my head bothers me when I'm in class.

Xuv: I must not have been a very nice kid. I'm trying to remember some of my earlier works. A lot of them didn't get off the first page; I was so easily distracted. But um...I think curiosity was the main trait in my early characters, not so much niceness. they were nice, but not extraordinarily so, and no nicer than the other characters. I know one of the dolls I made was named Diva and she was a bit of a bitch....The boy doll was a brat like my brother and the Princess was just fun loving and Lyra was like the responsible mother to them all.
....yep. me and my dolls. I still have them.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Oh lol, I think I forgot one keyword. XD When I said I was small, I meant the characters I watch on shows, not my creation. Apparently, all my earlier creations show my profound love for 'Mary Sues'. x.x Oh well, but because I didn't keep a good record, they are lost either without writing it down or on paper, gone, or in computer, gone.

I was influenced by whatever story I read/watch that time, I will create a character that I think would be god modding in the said similar environment. I was small, I didn't even know about Mary Sue, I just wanna WIN! >3 Anyway, because computer changes like...four or five times, from a floppy disk to A disk to thumbdrive... I lost my files in within transaction. x.x

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 05-12-2013, 12:41 AM

too bad you don't have your old stuff. I thing I have a lot of my things in a box somewhere. I didn't realize there were a lot of characters like that on tv though. I haven't seen it.

Well....everyone wants to win. I can't imagine any young person creating a character that loses.

xuvrette
(づ。❤‿...

Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 AM

There are a lot... especially in fairy tales?
Snow White, Cinderella are all the super nice characters. XD As I said, small, so I am exposed only to 'kids stuff'. Most of the cartoons also show the main characters being nice...
Do not compare cartoons nowadays with 20 years ago... T__T