I understand, but I'm still "young."
I haven't reached thirty yet.
THREE MORE YEARS
//cry

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-27-2014, 10:31 PM

I'm a late bloomer and tend to do things in reverse, including wild acts of rebellion. 33 when I had my daughter and 43 with my son. I do find I'm asked if either/both are my grandkids which is funny when I'm standing in front of the inquisitor while wearing doc martens and tats are all over my person. Nothing about my person other than a few wrinkles looks remotely granny.

Most days, my kids get along well, but my son wears everyone out in about 20 minutes.

The two of the set up blanket forts a few times a year and either sleep in them at night or hang out and read together. How old is your son?

Pistachio_Moustache
Thief of Your Intellectual Prope...

Penpal

Old 03-27-2014, 10:58 PM

He's two.
He's a handful.
He's become a brat, but I'm trying to get him out of it.

Blanket fort night!

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 PM

I have been summoned! And now I shall sneak a nice nap under yonder flop-pillow.

P.S. Thanks for the invite Cherry! <3

Captain Howdy
L'Enfant Terrible

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-27-2014, 11:37 PM

I received seventeen pings.

Two from Cherry and the rest from someone named Sir Chadwick St. Fauntleroy.

Funny enough, they all led me here.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-27-2014, 11:48 PM

Yay, people!

Glad my pings worked. For some reason, I was expecting it to turn into a link like a normal ping does. So I think that's why I was thinking it didn't work. Dur. Sorry about the double ping though, everyone!

I had surgery on a broken femur once. When it broke, the pieces came together and the ends overlapped, so they had to correct that. Put these huge metal rods attached to a... thingy into my leg. Worked similar to braces for your teeth - slowly moved it back into place. I've got big oval scars down the side of my leg from those rods. I think that whole broken leg fiasco warranted two separate surgeries, though I can't remember precisely as I was 5 and under heavy drugs. But that's the only occasion I've had surgery. Nearly needed oral surgery to remove a buttload of stubborn baby teeth that I still had kicking around at age 16, but I opted to have them pulled out a few at a time over a few months instead.

Lumbar punctures freak me right the eff out. You're a trooper, Jelly.

Elmira, glad your daughter made it through alright, without too much emotional trauma! I've got a facial birthmark too, but luckily it's not risky.

Oh my goodness, Melody! I haven't seen you in ages! Well, I mean, except for Facebook. I see you on Facebook every day. So I guess it hasn't been that long since I've seen you... It's been a while since I've seen your avatar? Sure.

As for being late for childbirth... y'all want my fresh, young uterus? How about some eggs? I don't want these damn things.

I pulled the blanket fort pictures from my Pinterest board, so there's more there if people like pictures of blanket forts as much as I do. Couldn't track down the sources for any of the ones I used, sadly. Not for a lack of trying.

And of course jammies are welcome! I fully expect everyone to be in jammies, sweats, jeggings, big cozy sweaters, or whatever else you wear to get comfy.

Howdy, if you ever see Fauntleroy again, it is of the utmost importance that you know to never accept tea from him. Coffee, water, lemonade, anything but tea is alright. But never the tea. Never the tea.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-27-2014, 11:56 PM

Ah, Cherry, while I would LOVE to borrow a uterus or three to create a clone army, that is kinda illegal these days. No. More. Munchkins. Not in this lifetime. Rods in your legs?? Do you tell people what really happened if they see the scars or do you create some kind of crazy story? Alien abduction, maybe? Yes, I am an enabler.

Pistachio - Two is an age that is either full of wonder and awe or boundary testing. Endless boundary testing. Mercifully, they figure things out or, if they are in my family, duct tape works wonders.

Now, someone mentioned funky tea?

And I am off to don some comfy duds.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 AM

Since it takes a bit of explaining and usually people who ask only want a five-words-or-fewer type answer, I usually just abbreviate to "I broke my leg" and that satisfies them. I usually only go further in depth if it's someone who I think actually wants to know, like a friend or someone who has been tricked into reading it on a message board. I don't think I've ever given a silly answer, just because I don't want to discourage people from being curious about things. I probably only would if the person asked in a rude way.

Could one of you lovely mod friends give me an extra post at the end of my set up posts? I've come up with another post that needs adding, but I'm afraid that overwriting the ping post might mess up the ping/confuse receivers of the ping. IT'S WEIRD NOT BEING ABLE TO DO THIS FOR MYSELF.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 12:24 AM

I hear you about being frank. Admittedly, I am a bit punchy tonight because I don't usually concoct an elaborate story to explain things to people.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 12:31 AM

The only thing that bothers me is when people ask questions like that that have a long answer, but then don't want to sit around to actually hear the answer. I used to be part of Nielsen's ratings thing, so I had this thing I had to clip onto my pants that kind of looked like a pager that would pick up this inaudible noises made by TV channels and radios to tell Nielsen what people were watching. People were always asking what it was, but the second I tried to tell them, no matter how incredibly brief I tried to be, their eyes would just glaze over. So it's just one of those things where someone goes "what's that?" and I just sigh because, great, now it's my responsibility that you have the attention span of a fly. One time that happened when a friend was standing next to me - who had probably asked about it before himself and had heard a million other people ask me about it - so I sighed and was about to answer, when he cut in with "it's her NINJA device!!" and that satisfied the kid enough to make him go away, even though he looked a little confused. I had this moment of "wait, I can make shit up?!" After that, I just started saying, "it's a thing." It's not some part of me like my scars and these would be people I didn't care about, so fuck you, it's just a thing.

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 AM

Actually, the Nielsen pager sounds interesting. I've often wondered how they gathered their data.

But dealing with people asking questions about it sounds similar to when I'm asked about my tattoos. I keep them covered during this time of year so when it's warmer and I start wearing shorter sleeves people see them. I've had them close to 10 years now, so I don't think about it. Questions asked range from: "did that hurt?" to "why did you get that??". Lots of eye rolling on my part because the answer is far more dull than what they'd like to hear. Yes. It hurt - needles + electricity often equals pain. Yes there is a reason why I have them and it's none of you're damned business - I was not a kid when I did it. I live in a conservative (in every way) area, so questions happen.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 AM

I used to have a ganglion on my right wrist (which mysteriously disappeared after having been there for about 20 years, lol) If people asked what that was in an "EW, what's that?" way, I'd tell them I'd been bitten by a spider and babies were gonna hatch out of it. I'll teach you to be tactless, buttmunch!

I'm a trooper, huh? I'll bear that in mind when I'm getting put on a drip once a month, so not looking forward to that! And keep those eggs away from me, kthx. I really hope that in 10 or 20 years I don't suddenly start getting maternal, or at least don't take a look at mortality and start wishing I had some offspring to look after me.

I used to make blanket forts with my sister when she was little (she's 11 years younger than me) I'd like to make them again if I had the ideal spot for one. Not as fun once you're full size, because there's just not enough room in one. :(

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 AM

Elmira - Yeah, whenever I see someone with unusual-colored hair or really cool tattoos, I do get the urge to give them a compliment on them. But I feel like they probably are so sick of people talking to them about them that they'd rather just be left alone.

Jelly - I used to have a friend with one of those! She'd get it drained every few months, but it just kept coming back. She could freak me out by wiggling it around underneath the skin.

I'll be honest, I made a blanket fort a couple months ago and played video games in it. Didn't look as good as it could have since I did it quickly and on the fly. But it was still fun and totally worth it! But I'm trying to convince the boyf to build a big one with me. I'll wear him down eventually.

And yes, you're a trooper. Deal with it. DEAL WITH IT LIKE THE TROOPER YOU ARE.

Last edited by Cherry Who?; 03-28-2014 at 12:52 AM..

Elmira Swift
Curator of Alluvium

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 02:10 AM

A good friend of mine and at least one of her kids has ganglion cysts sporadically. Theirs even come back after a few months or years after they've been removed.

I don't mind talking about tats, but I've become a bit wary given the increasingly conservative vibe in my community. I've noticed far less ink on people, particularly women, during warmer months for some reason. I COULD just be paranoid or starting to actually care a bit about how people perceive me (NOOooooo!). Time will tell.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 AM

I've noticed a trend of tattoos becoming far more popular with people who aren't so "alternative," so your time is coming.

I have an idea for one, but I'm too wuss to get it.

jellysundae
bork and means

Assistant Administrator

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 AM

If I'm a trooper, do I get to say things like, "These are not the droids we are looking for!"?

I asked the doctor about the ganglion years ago, and they told me I could get it removed, but I might lose the use of my hand, so that made the decision to leave it along pretty easy.

Years ago, like when I was 18, I wanted a tattoo, but I could never decide on what I wanted, and I didn't have faith in anyone not ballsing it up. So I never got one. Now I'm glad because I'd not want one now.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 AM

No, but you can pelvic thrust in parking lots!

Oldest gif on the internet, I swear.

Here's a video I just stumbled upon. Construction workers shouting positive things at passing women.

~LONGCAT~
is Long

Send a message via AIM to ~LONGCAT~

Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 AM

BLANKET FORT! The best kind of fort. :3

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 AM

Idk, cooler than tree forts?

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 AM

Oh man, I'm so hungry; yet I ate.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 03-28-2014, 04:40 AM

Man, hunting down that gif was a trip down memory lane I did not want. I had shit music taste as a 13 year old.

HIM_ROCK
NPC

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM

Double ping. RIGHT IN THE FEELS !

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Please, Cherry.
I fangirled over *NSYNC when I was thirteen.

Damia Flagg
(^(エ)^)
Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM

I didn't get an invite, but I'm sneaking in.

Bed fort haven't done one of those in ages never.

Pistachio_Moustache

Penpal

Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 AM

I snuck in first.
xDD

I was like, "Ooh, blanket fort!"