View Poll Results: Will you be buying Pokemon X or Y?
Yes. Tell me why below. 21 91.30%
No. Tell me why below. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM

Right.
Well, seeing as I ended up here again anyway, what Pokemon do people have, what levels are they at and where are they up to in the game? (Go by Gym count, please. No spoilers, even for something as predictable as pokemon)

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 PM

I chose Fennekin as my starter and I've only played a tiny bit of the main story. I'm trying to force myself to grind along the way instead of following my usual pattern of rushing through the gyms being grossly underprepared. Spent a lot of time in the very first road area getting my caught newbies up to mid-teens (for now it's the free Torchic plus whatever new Pokemon I managed to catch there - the grey caterpillar dude, new birdy, rabbit thinger). I'm also trying to catch one of every single Pokemon I encounter along the way before moving on. Got a couple to get still before I progress.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-15-2013, 03:19 PM

My pokemon are late thirties/early fourties. I have Blaziken (which is freakin sweeeeet!), Greninja, Venasaur, and then I swap between a couple of pokemon for the others. Those are the main three.

I'm trying to make a really good solid group where I don't have to switch out but I'm having trouble finding a flying pokemon that can learn fly. My Villion can't, even though it's a pretty kick butt pokemon.

Badges? I think I've got 3 or 4. I'll have to check. On break at work right now. ^_^;;

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 AM

*pokes BellyButton: *

I was already here. :D

I haven't done a whole lot in Pokemon tonight. Just wandered around Luminous (sp) city and found out it is WAY too big and hard to wander about. I went and bought out both cities worth of boutique items.

Husband is beside himself - He found a ditto. May the mass breeding begin. He says for now it's just for duplicating, as he needs to go ditto shopping for a few with different IVs. He had a couple really bad ass dittos parked on Black if I remember right. I think he's still not sure if he wants to opt into that pokebox app.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-16-2013, 02:30 AM

Ow, Izumi! My eye! My eye! ;D

That's cool news for the hubs! I never really experimented with breeding but it sounds like it could give a huge advantage.

I've done something stupid and sentimental and am leveling a Dunsparce, because I kind of fell in love with the dopey companion in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity. So I've got a dunsparce, two fire pokemon.. I fail at group building.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 02:56 AM

I'm trying to figure out why of all creatures a dunsparce, but OK. I never got into the mystery dungeon series, but in a normal pokemon game a dunsparce doesn't strike me as an outstanding pokemon when it comes to battling.

I think I may need to find a decent flaafy. I found out you can do mega evolution with them and I do have a softspot for Ampharos. Especially shiny. Ohhh a pink, mega evolved Ampharos....

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-16-2013, 03:02 AM

Dunsparce is a terrible choice indeed, haha. In Gates he struggles with knowing he is a weak and useless Pokemon, but he's such a little trooper, so loyal despite really sucking. That game made me cry IRL. I'm lame.

I know! I'll fill out the rest of my group with magicarp!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 03:11 AM

D'AWWWWW. Poor little dunsparce. Now it makes sense...And he never has a happy ending like Magikarp, either. That's so sad!!

I'm trying to think of my favorite crappy pokemon. Ironically some the gosh darn cutest pokemon just really don't cut it with competitive battling. I know, I tried. Pachirisu, Ambipom and I'm pretty sure I had something else that really didn't make final cut. This is back when I was actually posting on Pokemon forums and wanting to be a 'cute gym theme'. Then I think for awhile I was trying to do a weather theme. It's really hard to stick to a theme of pokemon and really create a strong team.

Oh gosh..Skitty. I want skitty to SO badly be a powerhouse. I mean think a sickly cute pink cat. That would be like awesome. But no...it's really very bad.

---------- Post added 10-15-2013 at 11:13 PM ----------

Now that little son of a bitch flying/electric squirrel pokemon is super cute AND super annoying. Not much hurts it, and usually when the computer uses it they spam that avoid move. Err my brain is going blank. I'll grab the link from Serebii if you're interested. Emolga I think is the Pokemon's name.

BTW Serebii is the holy grail for pokemon. If you don't use it, you should.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 AM

Haha, yep, that sounds like Emolga. I know of Serebii but I like to just blunder through at first so I can have ridiculous noob moments. For example, this tale of how I met Octillery a few gens back - I was using this funny looking fish I caught. Called him Bitey 'cause he had teeth protruding from his little mouth and looked kinda angry. Then some levels later I'm just minding my own business killing stuff and the guy goes and evolves into a stoner octopus. Imagine my surprize! Of course I had to keep him forever after that just because of how silly his name was for his new 'look' .. Rofl.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 AM

I didn't know Remoraid (I think that's him) turned into an Octillery. O_o But I think if I get one/use one I shall have to give him some sort of stoner type name reference...and he will never be the same again. Actually his droopy eyes remind me of Ringo, and he had his Octopus's garden song....hmmmmm

I like to stumble somewhat...I guess? I find if I get frustrated I'm very quick to cheat. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to picking up the guide for Pokemon here in the next day or two. We preordered so got like $4 off of it...I traded in a bunch of games to get both our copies and thought why not on the guide. Even though a LOT of the info will be up on the internet...I'm old schooled pre-internet and there's something about having that printed book in front of you. I have one for Animal Crossing, and they look to be the same size. It isn't the most complete guide, but it's still fun to flip through and check what furniture is in what set and how they add to your HHA score etc. The same with Pokemon....it makes a very interesting bathroom read, and I can tell you many a time my husband's hauled it off to the bathroom to flip pages and make his next pokemon strategy. He makes some meeeeean teams too. I'm wondering if he will import any of them to X/Y or leave them on previous games.

One of these days we will have to catch them all. He keeps on making that promise he's going to do it next release. I think with this new release though it's really lit the fire under his butt. Before it came out he was humming and hawing about how he was 'too grown up for pokemon' and how his pokemoning days were over. Well he went to the official early release on the day and sat with me and the other pasty faced pokemon nerds. I was the ONLY female (not counting the mothers with kids behind us...yeah doesn't count) and my husband was the oldest male there. A lot of people between 18-25 though...which surprised me. Of course these were the kids that were SUPPOSE to be hooked back in the day. I was that teen that sat at home in the basement playing Pokemon instead of going to homecoming or 'hanging out'. I remember plugging in my copy of blue to my Super Gameboy cartridge to play on the SNES. Ahhh those were the days.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Paper guides are fun. :) I think the last one I bought was for a Harvest Moon game. Even though, as you said, there's more info available on the internet it's still nice to have something you can hold in your hands and page through while relaxing on the porch. Or the pot, as the case may be.

Finally went into the first gym and cleaned house with my Dunsparce. O.. m.. g.. Exp share works for the whole group now!

I want to try to catch them all this time!

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-16-2013, 03:13 PM

I know!!! I've been loving the new EXP share. I use to have to crib like 3-4 of the things, and then it take the hold slot. I was pleasantly surprised.

Hubby has some interesting pokemon to trade me after work. I'm getting a Goomy and a Flaafy. I can't wait. I think he may have a couple other things, but I want that Flaafy bad. It's Modest too, I believe...so it will be FIERCE.

onsenmark
Walküre ga tomaranai!
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to onsenmark Send a message via Yahoo to onsenmark

Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 AM

So I managed to eventually get a L35 Barboach from WonderTrade; my initial Pokemon traded was a L4 Metapod.

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-18-2013, 07:36 AM

Well. Work sucks. It's constantly stopping me from Pokemon.

As a result, I'm only about level 50 or so. Flygon, Gardevoir, Blaziken, Pidgeot, Greninja and Absol.

BellyButton

Assistant Administrator

Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM

@onsen - wow, that's a nice trade! How does that work? So far I've just been getting same-level pokemon, though I've only done it twice now.

Interesting party makeup, Anarchy. Lots of beauties in there (I love Gardevoir & Absol).

I've made it to lvl 20 now, but still stomping around in the grass mostly. I love that we get xp when we capture pokemon now, as opposed to only when fainting them.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM

That is a decent team you have there, Sleepy.

Currently I've got about 6 badges I think...not sure. Pokemon up to 90 obey me, though. I'm kind of farting around with the training mini game and trying to reset and max out my EV stats. I think it is SO much easier than in past games. It still takes work, but you can actually see your progress and it is much less methodical. I think anyone can do it now and be successful. :3

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Hmm. I just caught Yveltal, but I don't really want to swap anything out for him. He's neat looking and strong, but I really like all the pokemon I have. And I've had them all (Aside from Flygon) since under level 20.

It's a decent team, but I didn't really do super training or anything like that to make them particularly powerful, aside from Gardevoir. Kirlia had horrible special attack. When I'm done with the game, I might breed them all and train them up from the start again, the way I want to.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 02:42 AM

EV training is SOOOOO much easier, though, that you'll have it done in just a couple hours your first go. Once you get it down pat, you'll be able to run it through no time. I've maxed out EVs on three of my pokemon -- Blaziken, Verillion, and Ampharos.

I just got my last gym badge and it's off to the elite four for me! Yahoo.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 09:56 PM

Guess who just caught a Modest Ditto? Oh yeah!

Now to catch an Adamant, and then I'm going to go breeding mad. I need another Pokemon with flame body as I traded mine to my husband for this really crappy stated Noibat.

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Wait, does that mean you have a bunch of dittos? Could you trade me one?

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-19-2013, 11:24 PM

Sure Sleepy. Just wanting my husband to take a look over them real quick to make sure there isn't one that he's wanting to nab for the IVs. Are you looking for any natured ditto? I'm just specifically trying to farm a Modest (which I just got) and an Adamant so I can force the nature to offspring. With an everstone it has a 100% rate of passing it on. :D

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 PM

Not even remotely.
I'm just trying to get an international one so I can breed it for shinies. If I feel like going into IVs and natures and stuff, I can always do it later.

Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 10-20-2013, 12:15 AM

OK sounds good. I'm in the US, so I don't know if that would be international for you? Not sure what side of the world you're on.

Also international pokemon increase your shiney rate? O_o; I did not know that...

Want to PM me your friend code? Are you still around?

Sleepy Anarchy
Mad King - Sass Queen

Old 10-20-2013, 01:05 AM

Yeah, it would be international. I'm from Australia.

Yup. It goes down to about 1 in about 1000, instead of whatever it usually is.

Sorry, I had to go. Dad called, needed me to move some stuff. I'll send it now. Is there anything in particular you want in return?

KatMagenta
Starlet on the rise

Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 AM

Late to the Pokeparty because of RL stuff. Although that means I've had time to play between other commitments.

I beat the Elite Four this morning. My party were my Delphox (Foxy, my first female starter), Sylveon, Blastoise, Raichu, Roserade and Yveltal.

I'm a bit of a noob in regards to things like trading and breeding. This is the first Pokemon game I've 'completed' as such.