Explodey
rock is dead.long live scissors!

Old 08-06-2014, 04:54 AM

Does anyone else get this? I get it a lot. It's this really uncomfortable sort of tickly sensation deep in one of the muscles in my leg. It gives one the irresistable urge to twitch the leg, as this stops the unpleasant sensation, alebit only for a few seconds to a minute at best. This is an abominable ailment in that it really has no explanation, and if it hits at night (as it usually does) it can cause insomnia. Also, after a few hours of this unstoppable twtiching the muscles begin to get strained, and then RLS can lead to charleyhorses or other leg injuries.

Mythos
deimoni isos

Old 08-06-2014, 05:11 AM

Interesting that you should bring this up! I ran into two different (I guess) remedies for this today.

The first is to put a bar of soap at the foot of your bed. Don't ask me why but the person I was talking about the bar of soap I found on their bed swore by it. The only thing I could think of why it would work is that the underlying discomfort your legs are going through are 'explained away' by the soap you are doubtless bumping your legs into at night...? Hey, it worked for her! I don't have RLS to that degree.

The second was suggested by an orthopedic surgeon-- take a sip of tonic water before you go to bed each night. The quinine in tonic water is used by several people to prevent leg cramps. If you can't stand the taste of tonic water you might drink a gatorade instead as it also contains quinine (from what I understand it's in lesser amounts so you'd have to drink more... but it's good for you anyways!)

Hopefully this is helpful!

Explodey

Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Nah, I've tried some of the folk remedies.... putting things at the foot of the bed just ends for me anyway in bruised feet. You can't NOT twitch during a RLS episode. So anything hard is just going to cause more injury than I already get from jerking about out of control.

Quinine IS supposed to be good for leg cramps.... but RLS isn't leg cramps. Because you're moving a lot and therefore stressing your muscles it can lead TO leg cramps...but it itself isn't leg cramps.

There's a homeopathic medicine you can sometimes find in health stores called Restful Legs. I don't know what's in it, but it helps sometimes. the prblem is it's also 8$ a bottle!

hummy
Little birdie ♥

Penpal

Old 08-10-2014, 11:06 AM

oh i hope you can find some relief
any idea what causes it for you?

Explodey

Old 08-11-2014, 05:57 AM

No one really knows the cause of this. It seems to be hereditary- my mom gets it too. Poor circulation? Lack of a certain mineral? Basic unrest? It's super annoying when it happens though.