Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 06:55 PM

I never looked at it that way before, how interesting yes]
I wrote soo much because I really want to give you an inside look ;3

SPOILERX

Haha, well, I am sure you know it isn't easy, and I want to be honest with you without crushing your dreams, ya know? xD
Now here's the thing, yes, there is a lot of things you need to know and you have to be up to date on all the new products that are out as well as the ones your clinic sells. You need to memorize products your clinic sells, like for my clinic we have stuff like Comfortis, parastar, and Nexguard, and you need to know which kills what type of ticks and fleas.
You need to remember the three main veins to pull blood from and where they are located; the jugular, cephalic, and Saphenous. Saphenous veins are more like a last resort if you have trouble pulling the jug and cephalic. you need to be able to stick the needle in the right place without going through the vein or blowing it. But don't worry if you do, the animal will be okay, and we've all done it at least once. And the cephalic vein is pretty easy to see, though they're twisted on Dashunds so it's SUCH A PAIN! And jugulars are harder but if you push your thumb on their chest you can usually see it.
You need to be able to recognize skin conditions like scabies and mange. You also need to be able to identify types of warms using a microscope. You MUST know body parts, muscles, organs, etc. You also need to know the anatomical directions like proximal and distal, etc
Also, some real talk, we don't get to have much fun with the animals. I mean, when I was a kennel technician, I was way more hands on and had to walk all the dogs three times a day and feed them and medicate them. It was fun but tiring, and some dogs and cats are assholes, sorry xD! The pressure is that you are responsible for all the pets back there, that means the animals and reptiles and birds for CROW.
As I was saying, the most contact we vet techs have with the animals is when we restrain them which is not fun, especially those that are terrified or screamers or aggressive. Animals will poop and pee on you. And like you always get blood on you somehow! xD
If you can handle the gore, you should be fine. And don't trust the animals, it's hard not to, believe me, but even the sweet ones can lash out out of fear. I've been clawed, bitten, and had some of those injuries infected.
I'm so sorry for saying so much, Sumi. But I want you to know, at least at my clinic, what it's really like. Now if you with to be a Veterinarian, you do more paper work than anything. You get to pet the dogs but you don't do much with them. Like we are short staffed so some vets help pull blood, but they always type notes.
You will get yelled at by some, if not all, of the vets for things that aren't really your fault. Clients will be jerks and some have blamed us for their animal's deaths
OH and, though everyone knows this, you need to be able to handle death. We put down animals quite often. I've had people hand me their deceased pets crying and you feel bad but you try to help them mourn. This may sound horrible, but some pets or wild animal deaths won't make you shed a tear, but then again, long time clients or baby animals who die really hit close to home sometimes and you try to hold it in until the owners leave.

Despite everything I said, please keep pursuing this dream if what i said didn't bother you too much. and btw, i learned a majority of that stuff on the job, so don't worry about starting out thinking you have to know a lot of stuff. But still, learn to identify parasites, body parts and directions, and whatever else you can! I do like my job, just not my co-workers. But still, be strong and remember you're doing it for the animals....and yes, you will clean a lot! xD
I can tell you so much more, so don't be afraid to ask.

and me too! I've always told people I wanted reincarnate as a wolf xD

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 PM

Wow that does sound like a alot of work but it doesn't sound too hard. You didn't scare me away, thankfully haha, you just made me more intrigued. Now I realy can't wait until I learn that trade. The one thing I won't be looking for to is euthanizing pets but hey.. someones gotta do it you know?

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 PM

Iunno. When it comes to a career in the arts, I can understand why some people may decide to give up after seeing more talented people than themselves. Its very difficult to go anywhere as an artist, unless you're the top of the top. Even if its enjoyable, some people prefer to refocus their efforts into something that will help them support themselves.

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 12:33 PM ----------

>_o The main reason I didn't want to become a vet is because of how difficult it is for people to cover medical costs, especially for a pet. So I'll always see animals that could be living better lives, or could have lived better or longer lives. And I don't think I could handle such a thing.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 07:35 PM

Haha, you are perfect then! And idk about you, but assisting in surgeries while interning was awesome! It got to hold kidney stones, and since the animals are knocked out, you can touch them..even the aggressive ones xD
i'm so happy I didn't scare you away. Listen, just study and pay attention and you will do great! When you're good at what you love, it's a wonderful feeling!
Well, the vets usually do the euthanizing themselves, do you want to become a vet or vet technician? And yes, it is hard, but sometimes you're surprised at how well you handle it after a few times. We try to be strong for the owners, but not seem cold at the same time, ya know?
and warning you now, you may gr to not like some breeds you liked before. Like, I'm sorry, but 905 pf Dashcunds we get are such jerks xD But we love em anyways. It's mainly the little dogs that are a pain lol
But there are so many cool parts to the job, like the CROW part! I've fed baby bunnies and possums and we fed baby birds wet dog food and they're so greedy amoungst their siblings xD
Unfortunately, we received a red-shouldered hawk who didn't make it, but he was so beautiful and I got to hold him and it was an amazing experience for me.
you will never know what animals you'll meet, so that's the fun part! ;3c

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 07:37 PM

Honestly Dys, I've seen people pay thousands and thousands of dollars for surgeries and such, like it's cray! But like you say, I've seen people refuse to pay and we lost some pets that way or they never came back

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikyu View Post
oh my, i want to say thank but at the same I feel bad that you put yourself down, ya know? xD
But yes, maybe it is passion, maybe it's when you first started, and maybe it's maybelline?
I don't feel bad because I do not care about my art. I went and got a degree in it and learned I don't much like doing it, not like how I feel about writing. I don't feel any kind of drive to do art like my peers did and even after art school, I never gained any real technical skill. And I don't actually feel bad about it.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 07:48 PM

Oh, I see! You've just come to terms that you don't care for it that much, but have you find a passion yet? :3c

PrincessKasumi
Stalker Ninja
Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikyu View Post
Haha, you are perfect then! And idk about you, but assisting in surgeries while interning was awesome! It got to hold kidney stones, and since the animals are knocked out, you can touch them..even the aggressive ones xD
i'm so happy I didn't scare you away. Listen, just study and pay attention and you will do great! When you're good at what you love, it's a wonderful feeling!
Well, the vets usually do the euthanizing themselves, do you want to become a vet or vet technician? And yes, it is hard, but sometimes you're surprised at how well you handle it after a few times. We try to be strong for the owners, but not seem cold at the same time, ya know?
and warning you now, you may gr to not like some breeds you liked before. Like, I'm sorry, but 905 pf Dashcunds we get are such jerks xD But we love em anyways. It's mainly the little dogs that are a pain lol
But there are so many cool parts to the job, like the CROW part! I've fed baby bunnies and possums and we fed baby birds wet dog food and they're so greedy amoungst their siblings xD
Unfortunately, we received a red-shouldered hawk who didn't make it, but he was so beautiful and I got to hold him and it was an amazing experience for me.
you will never know what animals you'll meet, so that's the fun part! ;3c
I wanna be a vet tech :)

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 08:06 PM

Does your school offer a Vet Program? My high school did and it helped me get a job. And just to let you know, you can become a vet technician without going to school for it!

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 04:15 PM ----------

Woops, you're obvs not in high school anymore! xD
hmm, what are you majoring in right now, Sumi?

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 09:53 PM

I care about my writing more than anything. I feel the passion for it. I minored in creative writing and all the art I did for my senior show was of my characters. I even included text.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 10:09 PM

That's wonderful! I was thinking of getting a minor in creative writing as well. I used to write non-stop, but eventually I drifted away from it and found myself focusing more on art~
But I do enjoy creative writing

Hadsvich: I'm finished! Let me know if I need to fix anything~
i know you like him flying, but I thought of the idea of a crescent moon made of butterflies and I wanted him to sit in it I loved drawing him and will look into your request thread later for more OCs!

SPOILERX

Last edited by Chikyu; 03-12-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 PM

:c Sometimes, people can't always pay. And that's always the most heartbreaking because you can see how much they love their pets and how much they want to save them but can't.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 PM

yes, that is also true, sadly.

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 PM

Its not fair. We all only get one lives, we shouldn't be expected to pay to treasure them a little longer.

Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 03-12-2015, 11:05 PM

Hads picture turned out beautifully! The moon of butterflies = stunning!

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-12-2015, 11:29 PM

That's one of the cutest pictures of Illian I've seen. I love looking at other people's arts. >.>

I would have switched my major to creative writing, but it seemed silly since I didn't want to be in school for longer. I would have liked to do the senior reading instead of the art show though. I need to get off my butt and do some writing today since I'm sitting here talking about.
I'm going to need to ask for more art because I find it so inspiring to have pictures.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-13-2015, 12:03 AM

No, it is not fair at all. I understand clinic need money because we use expensive machinery, but idk how you can compare a life to money. I feel guilty now since I work there, but I honestly have helped save lives too...but still..

Hiya, Maria! Oh, you always say such wonderful things about my art
I'm happy you loved the idea! :3

Thank you too, Kat! I actually love Iro's version that Hads has as a siggy!
I enjoy seeing art too, mainly to observe styles and get inspired~

Writing is a wonderful outlet for emotions and inspiration, so go and write something. ^<^
Oooh, I'd love to draw and inspire you
I have to update the front page, so if you seriously want to reserve a slot, let me know okay? :3

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 AM

Don't feel guilty. Everyone has to eat- And I'm sure your schooling cost a ton, too.

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-13-2015, 01:31 AM

Iro's is grerat too. Iro is an awesome artist. I've actually never drawn illian, but I lurk in this forum way too much. I know everyone's characters.

I'm trying to edit a fic right now, but it'll probably be a while yet before it's done.

Ah really? I want art, but I don't even know who to ask for art of now.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-13-2015, 01:39 AM

Thank you, Dys, and to be honest, FASFA covers my expenses. I go to a community college right now
I became a vet technician because at my high school we had a vet program that I did for four years, I interned which lead to my job, and became certified
but still, I need the money for Uni!

Kat; lol, there are some great OCs! I like Maria's and Iro's! Though I've been lookin into Hads and was really interested, tho Ilian is my fav! x3c
Oooh, do you upload your work anywhere? :D
Hmm, you should look around other art shops and see what you fancy! Kay Lynn and Princess Sumi make some lovely art!

Dystopia
Bitter-Bitter

Old 03-13-2015, 01:51 AM

If no one paid for services like the police or hospitals that save lives, then they wouldn't be able to exist. But on the other hand, its so painful that people always have to sacrifice their health because they can't afford it. Its no good no matter what you do, the best we can try for is balance.

Wow. That sounds amazing. I wish my high school helped me find a job. :I

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-13-2015, 02:04 AM

My fics? Yes, they are on fanfic.net under the same username as here, but they aren't for the innocent.
Hads and Kent have great characters. I love Tachi's too, but he's not around anymore. Too bad since we had 6 rps.
Oh don't you worry, I've commissioned every active artist worth their salt around here.

Dys: Even college didn't help me find a job.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 AM

You are absolutely right, and there's nothing else I can think to add to the matter since I agree with you

Haha, I am thankful, but it was only the vet program, everyone not in it has to find work on their own :(
honestly though, my friends and I had to go and find clinics and ask for internship ourselves. The school didn't really gives us a job, ya feel? I am, however, forever grateful that my vet assisting exam was paid by the school cuz its like 100 somethin bucks! :0

---------- Post added 03-12-2015 at 10:10 PM ----------

Aww, it seems like you and Tachi were great friends and roleplay buddies! :)
I will look for your work this weekend, though I have to study for a midterm and test! x(
Pfft, I may use purple font and put cute emojis, but my mind dirty. I read both corny and really hot sex novels, so I'm no innocent reader! >;3c

Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 03-13-2015, 02:20 AM

Yep. I've made lots of good friends through rping here.
I'm scared and excited to hear that.
iiiick, midterms. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that. Or rather, I didn't have to much in school either because artists don't take tests.

lol, the color of ones font obviously has nothing to do with their innocence! XD I know I sound sweet, but not when I'm writing, yo.

Chikyu
Celestial Potato

Old 03-13-2015, 02:30 AM

That's wonderful! I sometimes think about roleplaying, and I will eventually, but i honestly don't have time to commit to one. I'd hate to start and then not be active enough for it.
lol, I'm excited, looking forward to the juicy parts ;3c
I'm not weird, I swear! xD
Yuck, tell me about it. BUt it does feel good when I get that A or B on my test and midterms from studying

Yo, for real, my bff used to write some hot stuff, no lie, it was sexy