Old 08-12-2011, 12:16 AM

does anyone in here like tofu?

----------

or at least use it?

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ
Send a message via AIM to Guivre Send a message via Yahoo to Guivre

Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM

I love tofu ... my favorite is extra firm sliced with sesame seeds and served with broccoli over brown rice.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 01:46 AM

Tofu is my friend. I only have two recipes so far that use it, though. One is marinaded and breaded in a mock chicken nugget style, another is marinaded in lemon juice, soy sauce, and some other spices and good stuff before being baked. Both are delicious. :drool:

Guivre - What's macrobiotic vegan?

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 AM

Oh macrobiotics is an older strict healthy diet plan. It's a lot of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, fermented foods. George Ohsawa was the modern founder but he drew from older ideas. It deals with yin and yang, and eating foods local to you (such as no citrus fruits, unless you live in an area where you grow citrus fruits.) I liked it a lot. I have to admit I do like a bit of egg or fish here and there but I really, really only do that a couple of times a year.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 AM

Ohhh. I can see how that would be nice!

Yes, I like egg too! We buy our eggs from the farmer's market and know the people who raise the chickens, so there doesn't even have to be any concerns about the chickens not having good living conditions. And soon we'll be getting two hens of our own, so then we'll definitely know where our eggs come from! :lol: I don't eat fish, though. I did at first (after making the change), but I just couldn't justify it. I don't want to eat anything that ever felt and thought.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 AM

I would really love to have a couple of chickens. I love birds, they have really neat personalities.

Fish is more of a rare thing, like locally caught while travelling in the backwoods where I otherwise might starve. Well, unless I'd want to live on candy bars or something really unhealthy. But yeah it's still exploitation.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 AM

Roughin' it in the wilderness?

FireOnix
Gamer

Old 08-12-2011, 03:58 AM

I've tried tofu in restaurants a couple of times and can't stand the stuff. between the bland taste and the texture of it it seems a bit gross

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 AM

It's only bland if you do it improperly. If you press it and then soak it in a marinade for a while it's quite nice.

FireOnix
Gamer

Old 08-12-2011, 04:26 AM

whats a good marinade?

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 05:03 AM

You also really cannot underestimate the pressing. ._. I don't marinate, myself. When I cook it it absorbs the flavors of everything else, so I'm happy. But the texture, very, very important.

Edit --

Actually, you know what, I press sesame seeds into the side of the tofu, so that's seasoning it, sorta.

FireOnix
Gamer

Old 08-12-2011, 05:11 AM

hmm I can't imagine sesame seeds change the flavor of it that much

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Here's my favorite marinade. Be sure to press the tofu first.
Quote:
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. mustard
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. lemon pepper
A bit of salt and pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a big ziploc bag and squeeze and slush it around to mix it up, then add your sliced, pressed tofu. Make sure the tofu is well covered in the marinade (this recipe is ideal for half a block of tofu, but a full block can work fine too), then let it sit in the refrigerator for one hour. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 (fahrenheit) for 20 minutes, rotating once.
It sounds a bit strange, but the flavors really mellow after baking. It's absolutely delicious. Of course, you need side dishes, though.

I can also give you my "chicken nugget" one, too. It doesn't actually taste all that much like chicken nuggets, the presentation is just reminiscent.

iPeppermint
(-.-)zzZ

Old 08-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Mnnn! I love a good party and veggie dogs!
HHello all...QaQ

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Welcome iPeppermint. :)

@Cherry -- I really like savory lemony things, so I'm definitely trying that. Well, I like lemony desserts too, but lemon is just awesome all over. Maybe I'll wind up having to do macrobiotics + lemon because I like lemon so much these days ...

What sides do you serve that with?

@FireOnix -- Hmm, sesame is is a pretty strong flavor. It's not like sesame seeds on a bun at McDonald's or something. When I do that, though, I'm serving it cut in strips on top of broccoli and brown rice.

But tofu really just absorbs other flavors very well. One of the worst things I think peeps do with tofu is just fry it -- then it tastes like oil and is soggy. (Suddenly I'm reminded of the Veggie Buffalo Bites I tried yesterday.) I see it on menus like that a LOT and am like, 'No wonder people don't think they like tofu.'. But we all have our likes and dislikes. For example I avoid potatoes like the plague and I like tomatoes but I hate marinara sauce.

Last edited by Guivre; 08-12-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Normally just whatever I feel like making, I guess. :lol: Usually some green beans, boiled (if they were fresh, not if they were canned or frozen) then simmered with a bunch of spices. If my mom's made noodle salad, I'll have that with it too. I'm not so great at the three course meal thing yet, and I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cooking. :lol: I've only been doing it since March or so.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Skimming through the comments, I have a couple thoughts. Haha
1. Tofu! I like tofu now, but I hate the taste. The best tofu I've had has been sliced. I really like tofu from PeiWei, a modern thai restaurant chain around here, not sure where else it is. Also Lemongrass tofu from a local vietnamese place. Now I'm getting kind of hungry...
2. Local food! I read an article about how sometimes locally grown produce has a larger carbon footprint when the amount of produce is small. Like an eighteen wheeler carrying thousands of apples across a state could potentially have less of a carbon footprint *per apple* than a local farmer that drives 10 miles with 100 apples. It really got me thinking.

Also, yay! Three pages!!! :D

Last edited by Algas Soleado; 08-12-2011 at 06:54 PM..

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM

OMG, lemony-tofu + green beans just sounds like the best thing ever. Well, very close to it at any rate. I am writing that down and putting it on my fridge so I don't forget.

Re: locally grown food -- I just passed the last little farm in my area on the bus, yesterday. I should make a point to shop from them. We have farmers markets here but I am always a bit suspicious of them. :ninja: Now I feel I have even more reason.

I am so excited, I ordered a whole bunch of vegan soup cups in bulk that I can't get at stores around here anymore and they just came. (I ordered them through Amazon, very reasonable with free shipping.) Also the bento box and vegetable cutters I ordered came. I have an intimate friend who is going to tease me to death over it, since he's Japanese. I normally don't go into the whole Japanese culture thing -- though I do like Japanese food. Intimate friend sounds wrong, I don't want to say dating, though, cause we're not.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Call him whatever you want. It's Menewsha. We only know what you tell us. :)
I love bento boxes! The contemporary art museum here has the coolest giftshop that sells everything from water-powered calculators to salad bowls shaped like UFOs to fine jewelry. One of my favorite things there was a lunch box set that was very bento-esque and of course decorated with lots of fun and color!

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 PM

I love my local farmer's market. But that's an interesting point about the carbon footprint thing. But the veggies there are always worlds better than what's at the grocery store. Not to mention we have to drive twenty minutes (by highway) to the nearest decent grocery store, so if you also take into consideration how far the consumer drives (round trip) to get the hypothetical apples, that might shift it. The farmer's market is right next to my neighborhood.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 08:33 PM

UFO salad bowl? :O I think that is a great way to encourage people to eat more greens! Is this it?

Flying Saucer Bowl Saturn Ring is Perfect for a Galactic Dinner Party

I am really tempted to buy a bento themed lunchbox since I'll be commuting longer once the school year starts and I don't want to be tempted to eat unhealthy food like I was yesterday when I went to register.

Cherry Who?
Spooky Scary Skeleton

Old 08-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Whoooaaaa, that's awesome! :lol:

I'll need a cute lunchbox soon enough... I don't really want to use my dad's small coolers. They all are either freebies from car battery companies (he worked at an autoshop - the cooler looks like a car battery) or have Dale Ernhardt on them... How about... how about one like this? Maybe if I'm lucky I'll be able to find a good one on the cheap at a thrift store.

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 PM

Oh, that looks great. I like round things so much more than boxed ones. I have to say that what's in the green one is making me hungry, though it does look like it's meaty. I'll just pretend it's dal or something.

Algas Soleado
Defender of Green Things

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 PM

@Guivre: That's exactly it!! :D
@Cherry: MODCLOTH!!!!! I love that site! :D

Guivre
(^._.^)ノ

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 PM

I wish I could afford the salad bowl, I really like the blonde/blue color combo. But I bet I can find a cool wooden salad bowl somewhere.